Desktop makes weird noises

WiL11o6

Limp Gawd
Not really sure where to put this because this is pretty random. Once in awhile, out of nowhere, whether playing games or surfing the net I hear this weird buzzing noise for about 1 second coming through my speakers.
Not a hardware buzz where something is wrong, but a buzz like a bee. "BUZZZZZZ". And sometimes random AIM noises come out of nowhere when no one is IMing me. I am hoping that buzz is not some sort of spyware virus. But what can I do to fix this random BUZZes and IMs?

I have no clue about the AIM like sounds but if you have a cell phone or a regular cordless phone anywhere near the computer or speakers that could be causing the buzzing.

probably interference with your sound card/chip or speakers.

Two out of 4 of my computers make random noises through the speakers too for no reason if you don't do anything on them. The speakers are fairly new too. I'm assuming interference.

some AIM users have their option set to play a sound when they come online / from away / etc.

this will affect you on your end unless you turn it off

You're sure it's not interference from a GSM phone? Doesn't sounds like the noise you're describing, but you never know...

I've been on aim so long I hear that sound while away from my computer, sometimes my leg vibrates when I don't even have my phone! lol.

Do the buzz noises only happen when you move the mouse?

1. Make sure that the speaker wires are pushed all the way into the jacks on the sound card.

2. Like the others suggested, make sure you don't have any cell phones in close proximity with the speakers, especially GSM cell phones. However, they don't usually make a consecutive buzzing noise like you described, but rather a staggered buzz ("buzzzzzzz.bzzp.bzzp.bzp.bzp.bzzz.bzp.")

3. Reinstall or upgrade your soundcard drivers. BTW you didn't post system specs. You don't happen to have an X-fi card with an Asus motherboard, do you?

4. Find out other electrical appliances or lighting nearby that could be causing electrical interference and isolate the appliance by trial and error. This includes radios, dimmer switches, fan switches, fluorescent lighting. My speakers are pretty cheap and make a distinct *POP* noise when I turn on my fan or when my mini-fridge is running.

My sister's PC has this desktop buzzing noise as well but as soon as you open a browser that covers up the desktop the sound goes away until you minimize the browser and bring the desktop back. It's fairly random and I've been dealing with the AIM noises all the time where I think someone has signed on but I check my buddylist and there's no change. I've just learned to live with the AIM problem and I think it's gone away or I just don't care anymore to notice it. As far as the buzzing noise my sister doesn't get bothered by it so I haven't bothered to look further into it.

any time I get my cell phone within 5 ft of my computer it makes buzzing sounds.
The computer makes buzzing sounds that is not the phone.

Back