Desktop Computers with monitors on the side.

rjop455

n00b
I'm looking for a desktop case with a monitor on the side for mobility. And no I don't want a laptop :p. Thanks for your time :D

How big of a LCD are we talking about? I'm thinking you are going to have to mod a case or possibly setup a deal with one of the talented members here to make one for you.

I was thinking around 19 to 20 inches. I've seen them before; I wanted to see if anyone had a link. And yes I did Google it before posting. :D

is this for gaming? or do you mean something for daily tasks? I saw a cool sony a best buy the other day that had the pc on the back of the LCD.

So you want something like a Gateway Profile.

What I don't understand is how is a regular computer not mobile. They are simple to move, and its not like you are moving a 300lb computer or something. Look at those massive lan parties, people come from all over the world with their towers, monitors (even crts), cables, keyboard, mouse, ect.

I think you should just mount a monitor onto your side panel. That couldn't be that hard, just take off the stand, think of some sort of way to attach it, whether it be with 4 screws in the back (can be borrowed from stand) or some straps. I think it would be sturdy, and you could just run your cables normally.

post pics.

I do lan parties all the time. The reason I want one like this is, so I can open it up in the airport etc. I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to do it myself.

It would be better to just have a ultra powerful gaming laptop insted.

I have a few reasons I don't want a laptop. First, I can't do it myself. Second, I can't replace parts. Third the kind of laptop I would need to equal what I want would be around $5000 instead of the $3000 I'm looking for.

I have a few reasons I don't want a laptop. First, I can't do it myself. Second, I can't replace parts. Third the kind of laptop I would need to equal what I want would be around $5000 instead of the $3000 I'm looking for.

well, not to hark on the gaming laptop some more, but for $3000 you can get quite a decent laptop, be it a Dell e1705, or even a Toshiba P105 series. Lots of options out there.

I could understand the lack of DIY and changing the parts. But in my opinion, putting the LCD on the case side will probably be more suspicious to security and the LCD screen itself will be more prone to breaking.

Just my $0.02

I do lan parties all the time. The reason I want one like this is, so I can open it up in the airport etc. I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to do it myself.

One rule. The only game you can play at airports is Counter-Strike. As a terrorist. On the plane level.

Sounds like you are a candidate for a mac.

i-mac-rental.jpg

ROFL.. jk.

Anyway, if you want something built in.. custom is the only way to go with what you want. Otherwise, I'd just go with a mATX setup in something like a microfly or lanbox. Its fully upgradable and can pack a serious punch. Then just lug the LCD with you.. its really no hastle. If you want smaller, a shuttle or ITX size would be even better.

I've got an old 12" LCD screen wired to run off of 12 volts from a molex connector. At one time it was mounted to the side of an old PIII machine. All in all, took only about 30 minutes to build a simple hinge mechanism to mount it to the side of the case's frame.

For what you're wanting, a 20" LCD embedded in the side panel of your case isn't unthinkable at all and wouldn't be all that difficult to mod. There are a lot of resources online to help you with it. I don't believe I've seen any case companies offering this as a standard item though.

I've also been seriously considering this mod for a long time now. I planned on probably using a matx case with a side panel window and then simply placing the lcd behind the side panel. I figured if there was enough space that the extra protection provided by the side window would be a big plus. If I can't find a matx case big enough for that it wouldn't be much of a problem to use a standard atx case, plus then I could use an SLI mobo :D

Just about all monitors support standard VESA mounting, all you need to do is drill 4 holes in your side panel, remove the monitor from its base, and screw it to the side panel through the 4 holes you just drilled.

Just about all monitors support standard VESA mounting, all you need to do is drill 4 holes in your side panel, remove the monitor from its base, and screw it to the side panel through the 4 holes you just drilled.

^^This guy is on to something, but I would recommend reinforcing that side panel with something, possibly another sheet of metal or plastic bonded to the inside of the panel with epoxy?

You might want to look at this. If you used that you could remove the monitor easily if you needed to.

Also make sure the LCD you use is fairly thin and lightweight so you have a stable center of gravity. The Hanns-G models might be worth a look.

Sounds like you are a candidate for a mac.

i-mac-rental.jpg

ROFL.. jk.

Anyway, if you want something built in.. custom is the only way to go with what you want. Otherwise, I'd just go with a mATX setup in something like a microfly or lanbox. Its fully upgradable and can pack a serious punch. Then just lug the LCD with you.. its really no hastle. If you want smaller, a shuttle or ITX size would be even better.

more like a iMac

overview-hero.jpg

essentially what it is. a screen glued to the side of a thin case.

Maybe this?

http://www.gateway.com/programs/profile6/

An expandable all-in-one—is it possible? We made sure the Gateway Profile 6 can grow with an organization by leaving room for future upgrades. A full-height PCI slot, half-height PCI slot and full-height PCI Express x16 graphics slot all make expansion easy. And multiple memory, optional integrated Expansion Possibilities wireless, hard drive and CPU options allow you to configure the system to meet a variety of needs.

Interesting... I hadn't really asked anyone about a monitor mod on a case because I had seen a couple different writeups from people that did it to theirs, and figured it shouldn't be too difficult for me. Well, now my sights are set on getting a vehicle newer (with more seats) than my current one, and my case that I planned to build from scratch may be postponed indefinitely. The monitor mount came as a pleasant thought to me, but seemed a bit cumbersome. Also, if you go the monitor mount route, it probably wouldn't hurt to find some thumbscrews the right size/thread so you can easily remove the monitor from the mount. That, or get one that's easily removable with tilting capabilities (I like to be able to tilt mine, at least a little bit), like this one:

then you can just leave the monitor-side of the mount on the back of your monitor :) It's not awful pricey, and on top of my discount it's almost enticing enough for me to pick one of these up myself (though I don't really have the money... maybe in a few weeks). Just make sure you have some longer supports so the case doesn't chance toppling over, as the center of gravity will be higher (and a little lopsided) with that monitor on the side. If I do this, I'll probably try to rig up some swing-out arms for the bottom of the case.

yah, which one of these slots is the dvdrom? Is it this one? nope...

lol.

For those who think the plan is to leave the LCD mounted to the case while in transport, I wouldn't do it, unless I had the case secured upright, since I wouldn't want to lay it on its side with a window on it. If it didn't have a window, I may lay it LCD up, since no window would be on the opposite side to be scratched.

Back