Denuvo 5.3 Already Defeated: Hitman 2 Cracked Days before Official Release

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It has barely been a week since FCKDRM cracked Denuvo 5.2 and Football Manager 2019, but the new scene group has already figured out how to defeat the anti-tamper software’s latest revision, 5.3, which is used in Hitman 2. While the game’s official release date is Tuesday, those who bought the Gold Edition and Collector’s Edition have been enjoying it since Friday. History suggests that IO Interactive could very well remove Denuvo from the game soon.

It appears that the video-games cracking groups have figured out a way to crack the latest versions of Denuvo in just a matter of hours or days. And that’s a really big blow for the company that has been advertised its anti-tamper tech as the safest way to guarantee the first week sales.

It has barely been a week since FCKDRM cracked Denuvo 5.2 and Football Manager 2019, but the new scene group has already figured out how to defeat the anti-tamper software’s latest revision, 5.3, which is used in Hitman 2. While the game’s official release date is Tuesday, those who bought the Gold Edition and Collector’s Edition have been enjoying it since Friday. History suggests that IO Interactive could very well remove Denuvo from the game soon.

It appears that the video-games cracking groups have figured out a way to crack the latest versions of Denuvo in just a matter of hours or days. And that’s a really big blow for the company that has been advertised its anti-tamper tech as the safest way to guarantee the first week sales.
Well they still didn't crack shadow of the tomb raider. It been 2 months for that.

More than likely just a flaw in 5.3 they'll patch. That explains why games on older versions are still uncracked.

" . . .the safest way to guarantee the first week sales."

I thought the safest way to guarantee the first week sales was to make a good game that functioned right on day one.
To be fair I've been playing it and it does meet both of those criteria :D

More than likely just a flaw in 5.3 they'll patch. That explains why games on older versions are still uncracked.
Or it maybe due to previous games weren't something the community wanted to play for free. Interest in cracking Denuvo didn't pick up until Doom 2016 was released.

Money well spent!

Likely didn't spend much. I think Denuvo only gets paid for protection from launch (e.g. the longer they protect, the more they make). So depending on the contract, this might fall within a penalty period since they failed to protect from the wide release.

While this is a celebration to pirates and no-drm advocates, this is why so many games are introducing increased game as a service models.

Well they still didn't crack shadow of the tomb raider. It been 2 months for that.

They eventually will. They cracked Just Cause 3 over a year after it came out, and there are many like it. Besides, we all know they're just waiting for RTX features to crack SOTTR.

" . . .the safest way to guarantee the first week sales."

I thought the safest way to guarantee the first week sales was to make a good game that functioned right on day one.
Nah, need to enforce strict DRM procedures to remind people they do not own the game. Also a 50GB+ day one patch... that also helps.

Or it maybe due to previous games weren't something the community wanted to play for free. Interest in cracking Denuvo didn't pick up until Doom 2016 was released.

More or less it works like this. It was impossible to crack. One group did it. Then others did. New versions of Denovo come out. Due to difficultly and lack of competition, a group will stop bothering. I suppose these still take some effort and are not automated unlike traditional DRM schemes. So many don't want to put in the effort for each title. Then another group comes along and starts cracking the latest version. Then this one group (CPY) comes back and starts cracking the latest versions again. I believe the last big group, CODEX, cracked the Windows Store DRM and the latest Denuvo version on all platforms. Probably why CPY decided to come out and start cracking again. That, along with another new group.

Essentially if a new version comes out that is not crackable, one group will eventually figure it out. They will crack some games then stop bothering until another group can crack the latest versions. Because spending the time re-cracking the same technology is or more or less pointless when there is no competition. They don't care about cracking the games themselves but care about cracking for a hobby. Or at least that is how I've understood it.

There was a ton of interest in Tomb Raider, but I thought it was a massive let down. Loved 2013, thought Rise was pretty good. Shadow was mediocre. But still I assume the demand for that to be cracked is high; not that the crackers care.

Give the quality of new games, I can't see first week sales as anything I will ever care about.

First week reviews are always "When they fix this, and this, and this.... It will be a great game!"

I'm not a beta tester; I'll just wait for the GOTY version on Steam to hit $20 in six months.

IF they have their shit fixed, that is.

I did play the last version Demo on steam; it was an obvious console port, with a terrible keyboard/mouse interface.

Holding down the keys long enough to get recognized is not anything I've ever run into before, tho.

That was just; WTF?!!

Last edited:
Honestly the fact that this game had denuvo is the only reason I didn't buy it when the reviews came out.

First week reviews are always "When they fix this, and this, and this.... It will be a great game!"

LOL yep.

Imagine if movies did that.. you go in and watch it.. see parts missing.. but they state.. dont worry.. we will have it all complete in a few more edits.. LOL

Why does anyone pay Denuvo money? When your product doesn't work, why keep going back to that trough?

finally something to play soon?

Asscreed odyssey looked like same old tired shit.

was hoping tomb raider would be cracked.

Copy protection is still a thing? Time to go back to the cardboard copy protection wheels. I actually had Pools of Radiance on C64 and it had this thing.

pool_codewheel.jpg

I remember that one. :)

This was one of the first I ran into:

http://allowe.com/images/Larry/L5cpyprot.gif

I still have that on floppies; I see that GOG has it for sale.

We used to sit on friday nights in the late 80's early 90's with a group of people and one person would type stuff into Liesure Suit Larry and we'd see what happened.

Everytime we killed him, we all had to drink. And we drank a lot.

I used to use: "Ken sent me" as a password, lol.

There were women actually embarrassed the first time we got to the hooker scene, lol.

I bet those girls would die if they saw their grandkids playing GTA V, lol.

That was the same era where when we group watched ST:TNG, you had to drink if the crew did certain things; the only one I remember was you drank everytime someone pulled their uniform shirt down, which was a lot.

I remember that one. :)

This was one of the first I ran into:

http://allowe.com/images/Larry/L5cpyprot.gif

I still have that on floppies; I see that GOG has it for sale.

We used to sit on friday nights in the late 80's early 90's with a group of people and one person would type stuff into Liesure Suit Larry and we'd see what happened.

Everytime we killed him, we all had to drink. And we drank a lot.

I used to use: "Ken sent me" as a password, lol.

There were women actually embarrassed the first time we got to the hooker scene, lol.

I bet those girls would die if they saw their grandkids playing GTA V, lol.

That was the same era where when we group watched ST:TNG, you had to drink if the crew did certain things; the only one I remember was you drank everytime someone pulled their uniform shirt down, which was a lot.

Woah there mister. I thought I was the resident old man on here at 46. Well, and Kyle.

We used to play drinking games with TNG too... shots if Riker stroked his beard, triple shots if Worf's kid showed up, etc etc

I remember my friend and his much older brother playing Larry... they had a PC, I had a C64. Strip poker was about as raunch as it got on the c64.

Back