Dented heatpipe, what do you guys think?

jojo69

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 13, 2009
Messages
11,433
Bought this hyper212plus off a guy in FS/T, which is where he got it also. He never noticed the dent and ran it for a while in a 2600K with good temps.

I can lap on it, but it is deep enough I don't think I will get it flat without breaching the pipes.

I was going to run it on an X58 setup, so there will be some heat involved. How badly do you guys think this will effect performance? Think it is worth lapping it down a bit to mitigate?

2emhlhs.jpg
 
Like you said, lapping to completely remove and resurface would more than likely breach the heat pipes (not sure of their wall thickness). But some modest lapping would reduce the surface area that is concaved in. Can't tell from the photo how deep the dent really is, but I'm sure you can deduct that portion from the % of surface area that is effectively contacting the CPU lid.

I would think you can still safely use it, even as it is. But I'm sure a side-by-side comparison to one in mint condition would show you some degree of heat transfer loss.

Lap it, try it out and let us know.
 
I wouldn't think it would make much difrence in temp's if anything 1c. Your only looking at maybe 2.5-5% surface area and even then it's going to get filled with some termal paste granted it's not going to transfer and well being as it's going to be pretty thick. But it's still going to do something. So maybe 1% cooling difrence. Again in the .5-1c range of temp's difrence.
 
All depends on the price. A 212+ goes for $20AR shipped pretty regularly. If you paid close to that or got it as a throw in with the CPU, I wouldn't worry about it. Shouldn't affect temps that much. I'd agree with the 1C estimate. Might not even be that much.
 
yeah, I didn't pay much, and let the seller off the hook (he had a really good attitude about it)

I'll grind it down and report back
 
Those pipes have almost no wall... do not lap it. You will breach the pipe for sure.
I don't know about all that. Simply lapping the surface won't remove enough material break through the copper. You may be a little mixed up on what lapping is; not to be confused with grinding or face milling. It's more on the polishing end of the material removal spectrum.
 
I'd lap it. Get as much contact as you have to be as optimal as possible.
 
you could try fill it with solder. but for a cheap heatsink, it's probably more trouble than worth.
 
I don't know about all that. Simply lapping the surface won't remove enough material break through the copper. You may be a little mixed up on what lapping is; not to be confused with grinding or face milling. It's more on the polishing end of the material removal spectrum.

I am not confused at all lol. I have been lapping CPU's for 10+ years. Been building for 15+, but thanks.

But don't take my word, just do a simple search..

http://www.overclock.net/t/1194154/heatsink-lapping

And tons more. sometimes it works, more often then not you get a paperweight.
 
Thanks for your concern

the factory grind is pretty damn rough, I figure I'm safe at least till it is gone
 
I am not confused at all lol. I have been lapping CPU's for 10+ years. Been building for 15+, but thanks.

But don't take my word, just do a simple search..

http://www.overclock.net/t/1194154/heatsink-lapping

And tons more. sometimes it works, more often then not you get a paperweight.
Good deal. :)

I see a lot of success stories too. More than so than botched lappings. But the warnings are there and cleary the HDT sinks are uber thin.
 
Looks great! Now to see your temps. Let us know when you mount it up. I'd venture a guess that you're good to go.
 
temps down 10C from stock HSF adjusted for ambient, running 70-71 full load stock volts, case has uber crappy input flow, push pull on the 212
 
Nice! It would have bee interesting to see if there was a difference before or after lapping, but I don't like taking them back apart repeatedly just for the sake of curiosity...
 
Back
Top