Demand for Intel Atom Processors Slowing

HardOCP News

[H] News
DigiTimes, citing anonymous industry sources, claims that demand for Intel’s Atom processor is slowing down.

Demand for Intel's Atom netbook processors has begun to slow down as the netbook market faces price-cut competition from low-end notebooks as well as the launch of CULV-based notebooks, according to market sources. Another reason for dropping netbook demand is users delaying their purchases to wait for Intel to launch the next generation Atom processor in the second half of this year, the sources noted.

Another reason for dropping netbook demand is users delaying their purchases to wait for Intel to launch the next generation Atom processor in the second half of this year, the sources noted.
That's what i'm waiting for: lower power and better video features.

That's what i'm waiting for: lower power and better video features.

Same here. I'd love to upgrade from my eee 701 4G, but I'd rather put if off a little until the next gen proc is out.

I'd want a dualcore PHII or Via nano dualcore(what i want most) with a 790GX or alike and 12 inch screen.

I just CANT stand low specs :p

Videofeatures... is high on my list too, good too see people agree, ions ?

It could also be part of a sign that the economy is recovering. But that is a long shot.

Basically, I want a netbook/small laptop that can run Left 4 Dead for $400 or so. Is that so much to ask? :D

It's unlikely that AMD would run a full speed 790GX graphics core (700MHz) in a small laptop. The RV610 runs at 500MHz in the 780G (HD 3200). You can already buy those with a Turion Ultra X2 up to 2.4GHz in a 12.1" form factor. I have a HP tx2510 (12.1"/780g) with the ZM-80. The 3D performance still lags 1.5+ year old low end speed (HD 2400).

Slowing down? No we are waiting for Intel to push a dual core 2ghz variant with a chipset that doesn't consume more power then the cpu and we want a gpu that can do 1080p HD video without hickups.

Yes. The chipset used is becoming quite old in many ways.

According to xbitlabs AMD is releasing their low power dual core on the 780 chip set this quarter. It'll be interesting how it stacks up against the new Atom. Perhaps we might see ATI's 40nm mobile parts in a 12.1 laptop.

According to xbitlabs AMD is releasing their low power dual core on the 780 chip set this quarter. It'll be interesting how it stacks up against the new Atom. Perhaps we might see ATI's 40nm mobile parts in a 12.1 laptop.
Power-consumption-wise, I think it will lose.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16783

HP's newest ultraportable uses an Athlon Neo, a low-power single-core Athlon 64 at 1.6GHz. It has a 15W TDP as opposed to an Atom N270's 2.5w TDP. Admittedly, it's 65nm, but if AMD goes dual-cored, even a smaller process they're likely to consume as much or more power.

Right now, I'd like to see a low-voltage dual-core Atom for netbooks, running on the Ion platform. That would make me likely to buy, as current laptop chipsets are either hamstrung by video, or by RAM (1GB limit in Intel's newer Poulsbo chipset).

Back