Dell Warranty

mhd

Weaksauce
My dell laptop Inspirion warranty expiring, Their warranty tier has couple of them which I can choose from, mail in service, home service and Pro support.
Can anyone give me advice on choosing a right best value of the buck.

I found it odd, they do not cover replacement of battery after one year, even if you get their highest warranty.

Last edited:
Yeah.. batteries have always been considered consumables.

However, if you get a Latitude or Precision, you can get an extended warranty for the battery.. but then again, you might as well just buy a 3rd party battery when the original dies in about 2-3 years or less.

That being said, I have been seeing an abnormal number of Dell batteries go bad lately (swell up).

Dell has also had some major quality issues in the past couple of years... catching fire if certain USB devices are plugged in. Granted this was only in the first revision motherboards for a few different systems.. but it should have never made it past their QA process.

DOA TPM chips and TPM chips that either are flaky or die soon after you get the machine.

Bad GPU cooler mounting which makes the GPU fry.

Personally I would never do the mail in service. I've had too many times where they had me send a machine to the depot and then it come back with either the same issue or a different issue. Even had one time where the laptop wasn't even put back together properly.

Home support should be ok.. what is that.. like a 2-3 day service window?

Pro should be next business day.

As a side note, I did onsite Dell warranty repair for 2 years straight years ago.

Also.. NEVER call dell support. Use their online chat. It is way, way, way faster to get stuff done and you won't get bounced around who knows how many times.

Reactions: mhd
like this
Thank you for the detail feedback and informative answer

However, if you get a Latitude or Precision, you can get an extended warranty for the battery.. but then again, you might as well just buy a 3rd party battery when the original dies in about 2-3 years or less.
That being said, I have been seeing an abnormal number of Dell batteries go bad lately (swell up).

I hear dell's Business laptop are far superior since, its durable, and warranty is on the par with the quality of service . For regular consumer like me, I had my Inspiron 13 laptop battery replaced within a year, its that bad with the battery problem. You are absolutely right with their QC process, how do they even let it pass to the release stage. For instance their premium XPS line, the throttling issue and other has been a major problem. Yet, each revision dell come with, doesn't entirely fix the problem.

Personally I would never do the mail in service. I've had too many times where they had me send a machine to the depot and then it come back with either the same issue or a different issue. Even had one time where the laptop wasn't even put back together properly.

I am little wary about sending in too, the exact reason which you have mentioned here, whether they do something to fix and happen to create another issue .I have to find out if home support window period. Btw were you satisfied with your onsite service when used

Also.. NEVER call dell support. Use their online chat. It is way, way, way faster to get stuff done and you won't get bounced around who knows how many times.
I have seen that happen to me couple time as well, Chat is more stable.

My dell laptop Inspirion warranty expiring, Their warranty tier has couple of them which I can choose from, mail in service, home service and Pro support.
Can anyone give me advice on choosing a right best value of the buck.

I found it odd, they do not cover replacement of battery after one year, even if you get their highest warranty.

All of my machines are under Dell Business Suppoort except for my Inspiron 15 which is under home support). never had an issue with chat as by the time I get to them I have everything they need to send me a coffin, i send machine in, and I get it back with a detailed 'splnation of what they did..

Example Dell Latitude 7285 sent in, 3 days (total including shipped to day) later it was back in my hand with a new battery and NVME PCI-E SSD

Back