Dell Vlan Gurus ?

dashpuppy

Supreme [H]ardness
Any guys on here that are really good with dell Vlans and how to set them up ?

I'm new and could use some help etc etc.

Maybe some guidance ?

Ive figure out how to setup the vlans, but what about the trunks etc etc etc ?

I can answer any questions you may have. Its not too hard to setup.

I have configured vlans on the 28xx, 54xx, and 62xx series switches.

I can answer any questions you may have. Its not too hard to setup.

I have configured vlans on the 28xx, 54xx, and 62xx series switches.

don't think its to hard to setup :) just need some help.

from what i was told : or understand is:

I need to create my vlans For me i'm creating 4

vlan1 192.168.20.x ( voip / sip server )
vlan2 192.168.2.x ( servers nas box web server etc etc )
vlan3 192.168.6.x ( home network tv, nas for movies etc etc )
vlan4 192.168.10.x ( wireless ap into single port of switch with dhcp turn on )

Now how do i tell or where do i go about's telling the switch what port is the main port into the unit, ( from pfsense )

Do I have to create a trunk to each vlan on the switch to that port ?

The switch is a Power Connect 5224 24 port gigabit switch.

Trunks have several properties.

The first is the native VLAN - any frame without a tag will be placed on the native VLAN.

Traditionally, the native VLAN is 1. Make sure the settings for native VLAN on the switch and on pfSense match (all of the traffic should be tagged, but that's one less headache).

For now, configure the trunk so that all vlans are allowed. Don't prune any until you have a good working config.

You'll type a command something like

switch# interface Gi0/1
switch(config-if)# switchport mode trunk mode dot1q

Almost everyone copies the Cisco CLI so it should look quite a bit like that.

You want to create a dot1Q trunk on whatever port hooks into pfSense.

Obviously, you need to set up a dot1Q trunk on pfSense as well.

After that, you'll be creating logical interfaces in the pfSense config.

em0 or whatever the physical nic is should have no config, that should be all in the virtual interfaces.

If you want to do it using the GUI it's fairly easy. If I remember right you just have to go to vlan membership, and create the vlan. Then for trunk ports you select the vlan and hit the port's box until it reads "T" (tagged) and for untagged ports you just have to hit that box until it says "U" (untagged)

You might run across a problem with the untagged ports that can be sorted out in the CLI. I've ran into this

Well i'm lost, so ill continue tomorrow.

Everytime i turn on port one and enable 1qtrunk, iam not able to get to my pfsense box.

trunk.jpg

Currently i'm trying to just get one vlan running, once i figure out how to get one running i'll create another one, and from there on.

Vlan1 left alone.

vlan1dft.jpg

vlan10, new one that i created.
vlan10.jpg

Last edited:
Use the cli for those switches for christ sakes.. it's not fucking hard

interface ethernet 1/e1
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 10

or

switchport mode trunk
switch port trunk allowed vlan add 10

Use the cli for those switches for christ sakes.. it's not fucking hard

interface ethernet 1/e1
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 10

or

switchport mode trunk
switch port trunk allowed vlan add 10

it's not hard, never said it was, just don't want to muck it up to a point where im stuck or making mistakes when i don't even know im making them.

I like GUI, but don't mind cli.

still confused, in the instructions for

http://docs.us.dell.com/support/edocs/network/5P788/en/ug/pc5224cf.htm

example one!

it says

Manuals

VLAN Examples

The following four examples demonstrate typical web-interface VLAN configurations for the switch.

Example 1 demonstrates a simple two-group VLAN setup.

Example 2 demonstrates a more elaborate setup, illustrating all possible scenarios for a comprehensive understanding of tagged VLANs.

Examples 3 and 4 show how GVRP can be used to automatically propagate VLANs across a network.

Example 1

Example 1 illustrates a simple two-group VLAN setup.

In the VLAN Membership page, select Add a new VLAN from the Show VLAN drop-down menu.

In the Name box, type New to represent the new VLAN.

In the VLAN ID box, type 2 for the new VLAN.

Click Apply Changes to create the new VLAN.
pc522c10.jpg

Select VLAN 2 from the Show VLAN drop-down menu.

Because there are no ports in the new VLAN, all the port and trunk toggle buttons are blank.

Click the toggle buttons in the Static row under the port/trunk numbers to select the desired port members of the new VLAN.

Click Apply Changes to confirm the settings.
pc522c11.jpg

To allow untagged packets to participate in the new VLAN, change the Port VLAN IDs for the relevant ports in the Port Settings page.

Click Apply Changes to save any changes. Click Refresh if you don't want to save the changes.

pc5224d6.jpg

but when i go down to my ports that i have ( tagged "T" ) 21-22-23-24 and put in (10 ) for each since the vlan is named 10

i get "please enter valid PVID

what am i doing wrong ?

Don't know if these are 100% the same, but if you look at these screen shots the trunk ports have the PVID as blank. I also have a 3024 at home and whenever I create a trunk port I usually leave the PVID at 1 (I don't use VLAN 1 at home for anything).

PVID_P1.jpg

PVID_P2.jpg

Don't know if these are 100% the same, but if you look at these screen shots the trunk ports have the PVID as blank. I also have a 3024 at home and whenever I create a trunk port I usually leave the PVID at 1 (I don't use VLAN 1 at home for anything).

PVID_P1.jpg

PVID_P2.jpg

little different..

Isn't pvid the vlan number ? ie pvid 1 would be vlan 1 and pvid 10 is vlan 10 ?

dash

As for the PVID it should get changed to whatever vlan your sending it to. If your doing it untagged. Usually you have to change them when you get into you trunks.

In your example your putting ports 21-22-23-24 as T (tagged Ports), if you do that and just click Save what happens (aka don't mess with the PVID). If it errors in what happens if you go into the PVID settings and for ports 21-22-23-24 and put in something like 1000, or another vlan your not going to use?

As for the PVID it should get changed to whatever vlan your sending it to. If your doing it untagged. Usually you have to change them when you get into you trunks.

In your example your putting ports 21-22-23-24 as T (tagged Ports), if you do that and just click Save what happens (aka don't mess with the PVID). If it errors in what happens if you go into the PVID settings and for ports 21-22-23-24 and put in something like 1000, or another vlan your not going to use?

Alright made a new vlan 2, tagged one port gave it pvid 2, that works.

tagged port 21, untagged 22 23 24.

Last edited:
i have a 2724 feeding a pfsense interface with multiple vlans. the switch port wired to pfsense is 'T'agged on the VLAN Membship for each of the vlans to trunk to pfsense.

this is the tricky part that I was stuck on, under Port Settings, for the switch port wired to pfsense, i had to give it a PVID of 4095 (which is indicated as the 'ALL' id)

i have a 2724 feeding a pfsense interface with multiple vlans. the switch port wired to pfsense is 'T'agged on the VLAN Membship for each of the vlans to trunk to pfsense.

this is the tricky part that I was stuck on, under Port Settings, for the switch port wired to pfsense, i had to give it a PVID of 4095 (which is indicated as the 'ALL' id)

I'll try some more things tonight

Back