Dell Venue 8 Pro

Oh, does anyone know if the Synaptics stylus tech is similar to what's used in the Tegra Note 7?

The Tegra Note is supposedly purely software based with a standard capacitive screen. There is no hardware digitizer.

I going to try to pick one up on Monday. Haven't used my Surface Pro much because it's just so heavy. I'm just afraid getting this will make my SP completely obsolete for daily usage, haha.

Can't wait to see how it works with media playback. I assume the quad atom will be able to handle 10 bit raw 1080p straight from my media servers since I hear people are running much more intensive programs such as civ 5 and COD 4 without any issues.

Ordered the dell venue 11 pro with the i5 and just got an email stating it won't ship for another 4 weeks :(

Anyone else notice pretty heavy battery drain when the device is "sleeping" ? Like 2-3% an hour? (V8P)

Next question; I haven't opened the MS Office key package that comes with the Venue, but I noticed the label on the outside says "Dell Windows 8 SmScrn Touch w/H&S 2013". Is this a "retail" H&S 2013 key that I could sell, or is it in some way bound to Dell hardware / OEM?

Anyone considering the Dell Venue 8 Pro for the pen might want to wait into the new year.... Looks like Asus has a Baytrail 8" coming out near the first of the year with Wacom

Agreed. Just got my pen, hoped all was at least a little better. Well, it's not terrible, but for the power users like ourselves, it's horrible. A pain to actually write anything legible on the thing.

What's the preferred way to hook this up to an external HDMI display?
Specific product recommendations welcomed, looking to give one as a gift and want to include what's needed to hook it up to their TV.

Anyone considering the Dell Venue 8 Pro for the pen might want to wait into the new year.... Looks like Asus has a Baytrail 8" coming out near the first of the year with Wacom

It was just a matter of time, I expert there to be a lot of 8" 8.1 devices coming out next year as these little guys seem to have struck a chord in the market. Certainly not good news for Dell as the digital pen is the big feature of the V8P.

Agreed. Just got my pen, hoped all was at least a little better. Well, it's not terrible, but for the power users like ourselves, it's horrible. A pain to actually write anything legible on the thing.

Mileage does very a lot it seems with V8P's pen experience. Guess I got lucky as overall for handwriting it's working well for me though it certainly isn't a Wacom. But my notes in OneNote legible if not neat and the handwriting recognition in the Input Panel works about as well as on my Wacom devices.

Last edited:
Digital penis...haha reminds me of the old sean connery jeporady skits on snl.

Trebeck I'll take penis mighter for 800

What's the preferred way to hook this up to an external HDMI display?
Specific product recommendations welcomed, looking to give one as a gift and want to include what's needed to hook it up to their TV.

If you're looking for something like video playback on a TV, Miracast isn't half bad, I got the $20 Rocketfish Miracast dongle last weekend and while it wouldn't be a good solution for using an extended display, for things like video playback or presentations it's very usable. Of course there are the USB options, there's supposed to be something coming out from a company called Pluggable that allows for multiple USB monitors and charging from some rumors going around shortly.

I bought one for my wife and it arrived with a white dead/stuck pixel in the mid-lower screen. I'm wondering if Dell will exchange it like they do for their Ultra Sharp monitors. Anyone else run into this? I've had numerous tablets over the years and this is the first one I've received with a pixel issue....bummer.

I bought one for my wife and it arrived with a white dead/stuck pixel in the mid-lower screen. I'm wondering if Dell will exchange it like they do for their Ultra Sharp monitors. Anyone else run into this? I've had numerous tablets over the years and this is the first one I've received with a pixel issue....bummer.

You should have no problem exchanging or retuning it within Dell's window which I believe is 14 days.

anyone tried using a MHL to HDMI adapter?

That will not work with this device, You would need to use a USB to HDMI adapter or wireless Miracast.

My Venue failed after about a month of use...

The charger still works, but the Venue does not recognize it and stopped charging.

Dell has sent a replacement unit with no hassle but it's a bit lame to not be able to get any data off of it.

My Venue failed after about a month of use...

The charger still works, but the Venue does not recognize it and stopped charging.

Dell has sent a replacement unit with no hassle but it's a bit lame to not be able to get any data off of it.

How long did it take to get a replacement?

Good article from these guys at Plugable on the Venue:

plugable.com/2014/01/03/need-to-knows-about-the-dell-venue-8-pro-with-plugable-products

Just a heads up, there is a new firmware update (1/2/14 release) for the touch screen. The release docs say it improves pen input.

*edit with results (your mileage may vary)*

Capture_zpsf3812058.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, I just upgraded to this Friday and while I already had decent pen performance this update did improve things for me a bit, fewer trails like you mentioned for instance. And your handwriting is plenty legible, I've seen and made much worse.;)

Writing on this little puppy is working out about as I hoped overall, which wasn't the case when I first got it, it's good to see Dell working on ironing out the issues. The upcoming Asus with what looks to be a Wacom pen is going to be stiff competition and if the Asus does have a Wacom I'm definitely getting one.

Well that notetaking is closer to what I want with the updated firmware. So it is either go and buy that today or wait for the Asus VivoTab 8 with the Wacom :/

Well I just picked one of these up. Hoping the Venue 8 Pro will fill my crave for a tablet. Only had 10 inch tablets before, so this is going to be different.

Heatlesssun, does your V8P stylus' eraser button work well with Onenote 2013? I'm having issues where Onenote will not register that the eraser button is being pressed. Microsoft Journal does not have this issue with the same stylus....

The eraser button works for me in OneNote and Windows Journal just as your described.

Sounds like (after Googling a bit) the pen itself may be to blame for my issues. Off to Dell tech-support land..

The eraser button works for me in OneNote but it doesn't erase like it does in Journal, it works for selection in OneNote.

The eraser button works for me in OneNote but it doesn't erase like it does in Journal, it works for selection in OneNote.

Just to confirm, in Onenote with my pen the button closest to the tip is right click / select, and the second button is supposed to be erase...It works sporadically for me in Onenote, that's why I'm thinking its a pen issue. I suspect there is a tolerance problem with the battery contacts because when the pen stops responding, if I press one of the side buttons it "turns on" again. Also, the pen isn't going to sleep on me, this occurs while writing and clicking. The behavior is identical to Journal..

*edit*

Made a video to illustrate the Onenote behavior. After making my first scribble, I press the eraser button and it just keeps drawing like usual, then it partially erases, when I release the button it erases another stroke, then it seems to turn the pen off. The pen ceases working as I try to use it then once I press both buttons it works again, then I press the erase button and it keeps drawing like usual..So there is an issue with the pen, the Venue, or my understanding of how its all supposed to work :p

*edit 2*

After further testing, I am changing my mind. I think this is an issue with Onenote. I cannot replicate the issue in Microsoft Journal, but it is 100% repeatable in Onenote. Going to try re-installing Office to see if that helps. In MS Journal the pen seems to work perfectly fine.

Last edited:
The behavior you're demonstrating in this video is exactly the same I see in OneNote and I don't think it is an issue with the pen as you are saying. That button does act as an eraser in Journal and several modern apps as well, so I think it's just how OneNote is handling it.

I just wanted to add that Dell exchanged the first tablet I received with a stuck pixel no questions asked. They sent me a new one with a return UPS shipping label. You'll get India, but the customer service is not bad.

I called Dell tech support about my pen issues, and they literally almost begged me to send my stylus in for a refund. Very friendly and professional reps on their end, definitely ESL but perfectly understandable.

I'm guessing a new pen revision is due out soon.

The new pens are supposed to be out late next month or early March. I does look like Dell rushed this part of the device which is a shame but it does look like they are trying to make it right and I'm glad that I was able to pick up what I did two months ago considering it looks like we're another two months away from the Asus VivoTab Note 8.

Just bought one of these today at staples for 250 so far I'm very impressed

As a side note, $249.99 at Staples is a damn good price, almost BF good

Back