Dell Venue 8 Pro

It should be fast enough to handle things like 720P video play back and desktop software like office and such. Still not sure way Dell didn't put video out in this thing, all of the other Windows 8 mini-tablets have micro HDMI. So if a digital pen isn't your thing but video out is, there are other options for the class of device.

Do you know when the Miix 8 and the Encore are supposed to be out? I'm getting antsy, especially after convincing myself not to pull the trigger on the Venue when it was ~$250 on Amazon the other day...

About 7.5 to 8 hours of continuous mixed used, desktop and modern apps, about 40% brightness which is plenty for most indoor situations. One guy got 5 hours 20 minutes doing a continuous loop 720P video playback test at 100% brightness.

thx. thats pretty good!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
heatlesssun:

Do you know if its possible to install Windows on the Android version of the Dell Venue? I think I'd like the 7" version, and the lower price is nice too. I already have a copy of Win 8 I can install. Speaking of which, how do you re-install the OS? What devices are bootable?

heatlesssun:

Do you know if its possible to install Windows on the Android version of the Dell Venue? I think I'd like the 7" version, and the lower price is nice too. I already have a copy of Win 8 I can install. Speaking of which, how do you re-install the OS? What devices are bootable?

Probably not, there's no drivers for CloverTrail+ for Windows, not official ones.

I do agree the thing should have a video out. A real usb port would have been nice too(vs using an adapter). I'm saying usb 2.0 video isn't good and I don't see that thing doing well with 4 of them hooked to it. Hell I wouldn't want to run 4 monitors off the atom chip if it had a video card(s) in it that it could offload the stuff too let alone 5.

I still think the device looks good though. As I said before I'll probability get one next time I get a gift card via the DCN program.

Video out would be nice, as would some other features... but they would never get in at the cost they need to to move these things if they did that. Had to trim the fat to make it attractive.

My experience with usb 2.0 graphics cards was always pretty bad(and that tablet only has 2.0). I just don't see that working well for anything other than a demo.

With the advances in CPU power, USB 2.0 video is really not that bad at all. 720 is a breeze on a modern CPU, even the Atom in the Venue.

So tempted... really hope some firmware comes along to help that pen out...

Congrats! I'll be very interested in what you think. Even with the not so great pen l love this thing and the pen is actually proving to work sufficiently for me. The handwriting conversion works almost as well as Wacom tablets I've used and quick note taking in OneNote is passable. Been using it for some meetings and the notes are perfects legible if not clean but the inking process has to be deliberate and slower than what I can do with a Wacom device.

What about cases n accessories on this (Dell Venue Pro 8) ? Suggestions... I did snag a screen protector...

Here's a couple I've seen:

http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Wireless...TF8&colid=3TVNV8NO6KHQF&coliid=I2N5VTXWQERXFK

A generic case that should work the V8P that has a Bluetooth keyboard.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A7250101

A little pricy at $50.

The case Dell sells is kind of junk, I got one with my pen. Very lightweight and sturdy but cheap feeling as well and the edges are on the sharp side and it's difficult to remove the device from the case but it does double as a stand. I'll list more as I see them.

Thanks for the links... Ill update how it goes with mine in here... have the USB adapter ordered n gonna try to setup a 2ndary desktop usage with it.

Cool, I'm definitely interested to see how well this works as a desktop connected to an external monitor.

HLS, why get this over the Lenovo Miix 8 which has HDMI out?

I think I was mistaken, the Miix doesn't have HDMI out. The reason I prefer the V8P like a lot of folks is the pen. That's why many have been disappointed and are seeing if any improvements are coming. The more I use the pen, even in the state that it is currently in the more I'm liking it. l wanted a small notepad to run OneNote and do handwriting to text conversion and while not as good as a Wacom based device it actually handles those jobs well enough for my purposes. If the pen performance can be improved l will be extremely please.

I wish it had a microphone... I have gotten damn used to my phone's ability to transcribe my voice to texting for me :( Besides that and M$ ability to NOT to make a flowing GUI... Ehhh I am a windows user fully but man when I am in portrait mode DO NOT force the screen side ways when i enter the microsoft store..

I wish it had a microphone... I have gotten damn used to my phone's ability to transcribe my voice to texting for me :( Besides that and M$ ability to NOT to make a flowing GUI... Ehhh I am a windows user fully but man when I am in portrait mode DO NOT force the screen side ways when i enter the microsoft store..

...What? It doesn't have a mic? It has a front-facing video camera that they advertise as being useful for Skype. How can you use Skype without a mic? I can't believe they'd omit that. Are you sure?

EDIT: It has to have a mic to be certified for Windows 8.1, so it must have one:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn423132

Yes it has a microphone and Windows speech recognition is there a well.

Does anyone know of a mobile keyboard with a touchpad integrated into it. The one linked above is a case and keyboard which is GREAT, just lacking the mouse input... I am using a lenovo keyboard now with a track stick on it... dreaming of someone making a mobile case version of it *WISHFUL THINKING*

Made my way over to Microcenter this weekend and finally got some hands on time with the DV8 Pro. Wow, that is a really well built tablet. Almost pulled the trigger, but decided to wait and see if a firmware update comes through this week. A secondary inking device that is small, with good battery life is the main use case for me (already own a x230t that I love inking on, so it will be nice to have something a little more portable and something I can use while having other things open on the x230t).

Hoping you current owners can keep us posted on driver/firmware updates as they pop up this week and if they do the trick :)

There have been multiple sources that say that Dell is working on an update for the pen to come out this week.

l got my 64 GB version from Dell last Friday. This thing is just awesome. I've been using the pen a lot and at least with these two devices I have it really works much better than l would have imagined. Using to handwriting to text conversion to write this post and it works as well as my Wacom devices for that purpose. I do see the issues that are being reported but not to the degree that makes the pen unusable.

My biggest complaint thus far is that the top right corner of the device can get uncomfortably warm when the device is running more demanding desktop apps. Nothing that I've not see with other tablets when stressed but my biggest gripe with device beyond the pen.

Yeah. Heard the rumor as well, so wanted to see someone verify the update before taking the plunge. Sounds like some small tweaks could be enough to pull the pen input together.

Can anyone link to a pen that will work with this? I'm not all up on digitizers and I would just like to get something nice. Preferably amazon.

Can anyone link to a pen that will work with this? I'm not all up on digitizers and I would just like to get something nice. Preferably amazon.

The Dell pen is the only one that works fully with the digitizer. Are you just looking for a generic capacitive pen?

No I guess I am looking for the dell pen then. :) Has anyone found it on their site OTHER than purchasing the package including it?

l think Dell is currently the only one selling the pen: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=750-AADH

Of course there are lots of complaints about the performance of this pen. Many say that it's useless but it's working pretty well for me though it still isn't as good as I would like. Dell according to several people on TabletPCReveiw.Com have said that Dell is promising an update to improve the pen's performance and that the current issues are software based. Supposedly sometime in the next week or so.

This is a fantastic little device, it does a lot well in a small and reasonably priced package. Hopefully the pen performance can be improved for most folks as it great tool to use on something this size with apps like OneNote.

Just wanted to say, I've had my V8P (64gb) for about a week now and I'm absolutely loving it. I don't care about the pen (But I do hope it gets fixed!), and Windows 8 can be a bit clunky in desktop mode.. but having a fully functional PC on such a small little tablet is incredible. The price is right for such a snappy little machine. I just LOVE that I can connect my controller to the tab and play games from steam. REAL PC GAMES!

I will probably never buy an android tablet again :)

What kind of an adapter/cable are you using to plug in your controller? As for the desktop, I've found that manually adjusting to scaling to 125% helps out quite a bit. Not by a long shot perfect for touch but it does help especially with programs like Office 2013 that do have touch in mind.

Back