Dell UltraSharp U2913WM 29-inch Ultra Wide Monitor

Is it weird that I want this monitor to put on top of my 3007HC? Already have the 2007 wings...

If this was below $400, I would sorely tempted to finally upgrade from my 20 inch 1650 res monitor...

I'm an early adopter no doubt. This is exactly what I wanted. I can see these coming down to $500 to $450 in six months with sales and such.

I like the monitor, but I think it's too little in terms of height, anyway. You need at least the height of a 24" normal 16/9 monitor. If they did that and make it 120hz, I would pay 1000 for it. This would be a simracer's dream.

Anyone tried this monitor out with Starcraft 2 and/or World of Warcraft?

Also curious about Star Wars the Old Republic.

Picked up mine for AU527.11 from Dell, looks amazing so far! :D

mg3231.jpg

How tall is the actual screen without the bezel?

The vertical for a 29" 21:9 screen is:
11.27" inches.

My current 24" 16:10 vertical is:
12.7"

That is a fairly significant step back IMO.

If this was 32" it wouldn't be too bad at 12.4"

This is really only for wide screen gaming fanatics IMO.

I would much rather have a 30" 2560x1600 or even a 27" 2560x1440.

The vertical for a 29" 21:9 screen is:
11.27" inches.

My current 24" 16:10 vertical is:
12.7"

That is a fairly significant step back IMO.

If this was 32" it wouldn't be too bad at 12.4"

This is really only for wide screen gaming fanatics IMO.

I would much rather have a 30" 2560x1600 or even a 27" 2560x1440.

I just spoke to somebody at Dell and he said he thinks it's closer to 12-12.5". He said the screen height without stand is 14.2 (per specs on the Dell website) and that the bezel is probably about 1" top and 1" bottom or very close to it.

Also, I just noticed on the Dell site that the preset screen height is 12.16". I am guessing this is the screen measurement I was looking for.

I just spoke to somebody at Dell and he said he thinks it's closer to 12-12.5". He said the screen height without stand is 14.2 (per specs on the Dell website) and that the bezel is probably about 1" top and 1" bottom or very close to it.

Also, I just noticed on the Dell site that the preset screen height is 12.16". I am guessing this is the screen measurement I was looking for.

It doesn't matter what he thinks. The math is quite simple and unarguable.

The active screen area is only about 11.3" tall for a 29" , 21:9 (2.37:1) screen.

It doesn't matter what he thinks. The math is quite simple and unarguable.

The active screen area is only about 11.3" tall for a 29" , 21:9 (2.37:1) screen.

The Dell site says 12.16" height wise and 27.30 across though. :/I'm pretty sure 12.16 x 27.30 is 21:9.

Maybe one of the owners here could measure it.

Anyways, been messing around with the cystom resolution of 2560x1080 on my Dell 30" (No scaling option enabled), and I must say, the difference in some games (like Planetside 2 and Mechwarrior Online) is night and day. I did a few quick tests to check the difference in viewable area and after using the 2560x1080 resolution for a while, going back to 2560x1600 felt like I was looking through a narrow view telescope. Playing at 2560x1080 felt sort of like playing games in a panoramic picture view. There is definitely a difference in height, but I found myself looking left and right a lot more and sort of forgetting about the height limitation. Mechwarrior Online and Planetside 2 both seemed to scale correctly.

If my test above is any indication of what this panel would look like than I am seriously going to consider one of these to compliment my 3007EWFP-HC.

Last edited:
The Dell site says 12.16" height wise and 27.30 across though. :/I'm pretty sure 12.16 x 27.30 is 21:9.

I am pretty sure it isn't and I have math on my side, not gut feelings. Errors on web pages aren't exactly a new phenomena.

They also claim it is .26 mm dot pitch(or more accurately .2628 from LG). Multiply by 1080 and convert to inches and you get close to 11.2", no where near 12".

Wether you calculate from Pythagorean theorem, or with dot pitch, you end up around 11.2" in height.

12" is a mistake.

I am pretty sure it isn't and I have math on my side, not gut feelings. Errors on web pages aren't exactly a new phenomena.

They also claim it is .26 mm dot pitch(or more accurately .2628 from LG). Multiply by 1080 and convert to inches and you get close to 11.2", no where near 12".

Wether you calculate from Pythagorean theorem, or with dot pitch, you end up around 11.2" in height.

12" is a mistake.

It is listed at Anandtech as 12.16 x 27.30 as well (Same size as the LG released in August). Not saying you're wrong, I just want to know for sure.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiktake
Is this was below $400, I would sorely tempted to finally upgrade from my 20 inch 1650 res monitor...

I just keep waiting for a high quality monitor with high res at the price and it hasn't come yet.
There are numerous models that fit your basic criteria and have done so for months

I've looked into the Korean models and the Auria, and I haven't been impressed with the build quality or anecdotal comments about problems. I have been very close to picking up an Auria, but comments seem all over the place. I realize nothing is perfect, but I am waiting for one of the bigger manufactures to step in and produce something for the US market.

It is listed at Anandtech as 12.16 x 27.30 as well (Same size as the LG released in August). Not saying you're wrong, I just want to know for sure.

Straight from LG Korea:
http://www.lge.co.kr/lgekr/product/detail/LgekrProductDetailCmd.laf?prdid=eprd6006327#tab_features_1

Display screen size (HxV) 677 X 290 mm(HxV)

That converts to 11.4" That is a 0.2" discrepency from the DPI calculation, but it is a lot better than being nearly an inch off at 12.16". I have no idea where that is coming from, but it is wrong with regards to the active area of the screen.

I decided to buy one since Dell has 100% free returns right now. I've been using a 1080p monitor as my daily one and I wish I had another half screen of width all the time. It will fit perfectly on a corner desk where two widescreen monitors don't.

12/13 estimated delivery. I'm especially curious how it feels compared to my old eyefinity setup that's rotting in my closet. (It uses up a whole 5' desk!)

It turns out the Dell Home 10% off coupon works on this.

2501D84$TJ5SMV

Go figure the bargain sites posted that an hour after I ordered.

Thanks for the coupon. Just ordered a U2713HM though. I like the resolution of that model. :D

I have been looking for a new monitor to replace my old 24" dell. The only problem I have is I want a 27 or higher, but I'm not sure my 560ti 1GB will be able to drive the display in certain games (RPGs, MMOs, etc). I figure going from 1920x1200 to 2560x1080 shouldn't be too much of a jump to notice much of a performance difference while gaining a small increase in screen size.

Any suggestions?

I am surprised this does not get more attention, this would be better than eyefinity IMO as it has no bezel, the DPI is not great but around 100 is pretty normal plus it should be easier to drive. Alot of people spend around $600 for eyefinity setups and do alot of work to get rid of bezels. Also even if its not right for you, you have to admit there are alot of uses for a monitor like this and I am glad dell had the balls to bring it to market.

I am surprised this does not get more attention, this would be better than eyefinity IMO as it has no bezel
Lower resolution, not as wide, smaller total screen area, lower DPI...

This is better than a regular single-monitor setup, but I can't put it on equal footing with Eyefinity. :confused: Also, this 21:9 screen does have a bezel, there's just no additional display surface beyond the bezel like there is on an Eyefinity system.

Edit: Someone needs to get three of these and try out Eyefinity with them >_>

Some of playerwares input lag measurement are significantly higher than they actually are in reality. Most high res displays with scalers have around 12-19ms of input lag (17ms is the most common), anything above is very rare for monitors these days.

Last edited:
The lower resolution and DPI can easily be a bonus, you don't have to drive it with as much power. I don't know where everyone went but I spend the last 15 years of my life lowering my resolution for games to hold FPS and when LCDs came out we we could no longer choose so lots of us learned to deal with around 100 DPI remember how popular 1680x1050 screens were? Here you get the benefits of a wider FOV without the costs in performance of eyefinity and with eyefinity, I think the holy grail of eyefinity is no bezel and this has it. This is sort of like a 2x eyefinity setup finally made possible.

Some of playerwares input lag measurement are significantly higher than they actually are in reality. Most high res displays with scalers have around 12-19ms of input lag (17ms is the most common), anything above is very rare for monitors these days.

Thanks for the info, NCX. I may try this one out.

Got the monitor on Friday.
Straight from LG Korea:
http://www.lge.co.kr/lgekr/product/detail/LgekrProductDetailCmd.laf?prdid=eprd6006327#tab_features_1

Display screen size (HxV) 677 X 290 mm(HxV)

That converts to 11.4" That is a 0.2" discrepency from the DPI calculation, but it is a lot better than being nearly an inch off at 12.16". I have no idea where that is coming from, but it is wrong with regards to the active area of the screen.

This is correct, the visible part of the screen is only 11.4". I do love the monitor but it is feeling weird going down vertically from my 24".

Got the monitor on Friday.

This is correct, the visible part of the screen is only 11.4". I do love the monitor but it is feeling weird going down vertically from my 24".

11.4 isn't too bad. I have a 23" 1080P panel nextr to my 30" Dell so same/similar height to my 23" is no big deal.

Any thoughts on input lag/ghosting and the Anti-glare coating (is the AG of the lighter or heavier variety)?

Thanks for your time!

Anyone care to test for PWM (backlight flicker)? I'm not interested in this monitor but want to know if Dell are determined to phase out PWM at least from their high-end monitors.

Anyone care to test for PWM (backlight flicker)? I'm not interested in this monitor but want to know if Dell are determined to phase out PWM at least from their high-end monitors.
This review confirms it (in text only) that its PWM free.
http://www.svethardware.cz/art_doc-1BD0B3BF529594DAC1257AD000240B0C.html
Review person measures with oscilloscope and have done plenty of monitors before, so I'm confident that this is a trustworthy result. Not accounting for hardware lottery, of course.

is the response on this better or worse than an NEC 2690wuxi? It's not a gaming monitor but it is of amazing quality. The input lag hasn't really been an issue for me other than maybe emulated games -- but like all things I've gotten used to it.

Back