Dell UltraSharp U2913WM 29-inch Ultra Wide Monitor

That is really really interesting.. at that price point if the resolution becomes supported by games that is kinda awesome for single monitor super wide gaming

If only if was 2560 x 1200. Would be perfect. $700 is actually quite reasonable.

Resolution blows for that size monitor :rolleyes:

29" widescreen should be better than 2560 wide, more like 3200 wide, and this monitor should not be 1080p tall, that is old school low res, it needs to be like 1440 tall minimum.

Redo this monitor at 3200 x 1440 and even double the price, it would be the best. The deal breaker is the 1080p, height, that just sucks, especially on a 29" size display.

I got one on order with 10 percent off coupon. I'll try it. Can't do surround the way I want, don't trust koreans because if I see one dead pixel i'll freak. I'll pay more for quality, service and warranty.

I think I would like one,....or two,.... But I just bought a second 2560x1440 27" monitor,.....so I'm out of the market for a while,...

I just happened to stumble on this on the Dell website. Interesting monitor... 3 of these in eyefinity could be rather amazing... Wait, make that 6 in eyefinity :)

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...earch&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=1&s=dhs

EDIT:

Hmm.. these are 27.55" wide vs 27.34" for the 30" U3011. Looking like an interesting match for a 2nd tier monitor

Old news now, I mentioned this 2 months ago in this thread.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1718107

You can read some opinions on it there.

29" widescreen should be better than 2560 wide, more like 3200 wide, and this monitor should not be 1080p tall, that is old school low res, it needs to be like 1440 tall minimum.

Redo this monitor at 3200 x 1440 and even double the price, it would be the best. The deal breaker is the 1080p, height, that just sucks, especially on a 29" size display.

Though the wide aspect ratio means the height of the monitor will be closer to a 22"-23" 16:10/16:9 monitor, so pixel density won't be as bad as 1080p on a 16:9 30"/29".

With your suggested resolution it should be 3360x1440 to keep the 21:9 aspect ratio, which is more of a common standard than 20:9(3200x1440).

Well here it is, suckers... Crysis 2 in all it's super-wide glory in a bad pic. Screen looks great. Played some BF3 with it also... looks nice.

Those are browns in case you were wondering.

71h653.jpg

Please... Single Display Port cannot support that - you would need dual DP, which is not supported my many video cards.

Dell and the panel makers has to make products that work well in the existing ecosystem. 2560 wide works well... 3200 would not.

Please... Single Display Port cannot support that - you would need dual DP, which is not supported my many video cards.

Dell and the panel makers has to make products that work well in the existing ecosystem. 2560 wide works well... 3200 would not.

So how do you think DP 1.2 can handle 3860x2160 just fine but somehow wont do a lower resolution?

I would not pay $700 for a monitor.

I did purchase a pair of monitors, $540 total. In total they have more pixels in both directions:1920x1200 each or 3840x1200 together.

The monitor seems like a poor deal.

I would not pay $700 for a monitor.

I did purchase a pair of monitors, $540 total. In total they have more pixels in both directions:1920x1200 each or 3840x1200 together.

The monitor seems like a poor deal.

I would wager a guess that those 2 montitors together do not have the quality of 1 30" panel.

You get what you pay for.

To the guy who got the 29" panel, you wouldnt have happened to try Planetside 2 on it, have you?

spacing guild
Did you try running higher refresh rates on this shit? higher than 60...

I would wager a guess that those 2 montitors together do not have the quality of 1 30" panel.

You get what you pay for.

To the guy who got the 29" panel, you wouldnt have happened to try Planetside 2 on it, have you?

I don't have Planetside 2. Might try it tho...looks interesting.

spacing guild
Did you try running higher refresh rates on this shit? higher than 60...

It won't let me. I loaded Dell's drivers and 60hz is all it will let me do. That's fine. I expected nothing more. If there is some way to do it I might give it shot. Perhaps it's because I'm connected DVI?

What about input lag, ghosting, etc..?

Any "stretching" issues with games you've played?

Thanks!

It won't let me. I loaded Dell's drivers and 60hz is all it will let me do. That's fine. I expected nothing more. If there is some way to do it I might give it shot. Perhaps it's because I'm connected DVI?

you need to create a custom resolution with the higher refresh rate using the nvidia control panel.

I'm intrigued with the Displayport daisy chain.

You have to have a displayport 1.2 connection from video card to u2913. Can you then run a displayport to DVI/HDMI cable from the u2913 to another display?

Will WMC HDCP work over the daisy chain?

What about input lag, ghosting, etc..?

Any "stretching" issues with games you've played?

Thanks!

No stretching. You can probably get all your games to run at the native resolution. I don't see too much ghosting... if at all. Input lag... I'm not a pro gamer so... if there is I don't notice it. But I'm sure it's there in some form.

you need to create a custom resolution with the higher refresh rate using the nvidia control panel.

nah.... 60hz is all I need.

Well here it is, suckers... Crysis 2 in all it's super-wide glory in a bad pic. Screen looks great. Played some BF3 with it also... looks nice.

Those are browns in case you were wondering.

71h653.jpg

This is awesome! damn you bragger (in a nice way) ;) I wish I had the pockets to get 3 of these.

I am really liking the look of it...and it's different!

My only concern is feeling like the screen is too "narrow" height wise. Of course, having said that, I don't really have an issue with my normal 23" 1080P Acer panel so I don't really see this as an issue.

Skyrim looks amazing....... I can't justify the price but damn, I want one.

I wish I could see one myself in person so I can decide. Why don't bestbuy and other retail stores sell dell monitors? :(

So how do you think DP 1.2 can handle 3860x2160 just fine but somehow wont do a lower resolution?

I never said it cannot support it - my issue was with practicality.

Also, a point of clarification. I'm so used to single link/ dual link DVI that I used dual to refer to DP Version 1.2

Anyhow - the issue is not with the standard - its with the implementation of it on the hardware side.

I said...

For example, if you have a DP 1.2 display with a pixel count in excess of 2560 X 1200 - will it work with any hardware ? AFAIK - then answer is no. The DP port on the computer must be 1.2 compliant.

Predictability is a valuable commodity - right up there with time. Screens over 2560 X 1200 have a major question mark on them in fitting in with an ecosystem of DP and mini-DP. Screens at this and below (e.g. 2560 X 1440 or 2560 X 1080) do not.

Is this was below $400, I would sorely tempted to finally upgrade from my 20 inch 1650 res monitor...

I just keep waiting for a high quality monitor with high res at the price and it hasn't come yet.

The korean 27" displays are probably what you want. $400 for a nearly 30" display? Not going to happen any time soon.

putting 3 of these in portrait mode would be interesting

If only this would work with my new MacMini....alas I do not think that it will.

I have a Dell U3011 with an Apple 1920 X 1200 Cinema Display mounted directly over it. This would be a perfect replacement for the Apple - about the same dot pitch and width.

I wanted to see what this would look like with Planetside 2 so I created a custom resolution of 2560x1080 on my Dell 3007WFP-HC and loaded it up. WOW....looks awesome. Only downside appears to be the sniperscope seems to be a little wonky. The sides of the screen are not part of the sniperscope and just show the normal view.

Would what I am seeing with this custom resolution be pretty much the same as what I would see with this new ultra-wide Dell panel? If different, how so?

Thanks!

Is this was below $400, I would sorely tempted to finally upgrade from my 20 inch 1650 res monitor...

I just keep waiting for a high quality monitor with high res at the price and it hasn't come yet.

There are numerous models that fit your basic criteria and have done so for months

Back