Dell U3011 - Monitor Arm Suggestions

Sneak

Limp Gawd
I want to get this Dell U3011 monitor off the desk and claim some more space. Have been searching around for arms that will hold this. There is a Humanscale M8 and an Innovative Heavy Duty Radial that I found. Links below! I searched but there is not much to read here about these. Anyone using these arms or have any opinions? Are there any others out there I missed that will work for the size and weight? It has to be a Desk clamp or bolt through mount. Not a wall mount.

http://www.innovativeessentials.com...d=410&osCsid=ef944d0ce4f9be6751431b7871608930

http://www.humanscale.com/products/product_detail.cfm?group=m8

Member LIvestrong7 owns a couple of the humanscale models. I have the M7 dual monitor arm myself. The company makes very robust products... and you pay for it.

If you need to save money, you can check the monitor mounts and arms on http://www.monoprice.com

Caveat: They are a little harder to set up. Also be careful to read the specs and look at the pictures and reviews carefully. I don't like how they don't always tell you the tilt and rotation (if any) specs!

Thanks for the replies. At the moment I am leaning towards the Humanscale M8. Several places are selling it for under $300.00. Pricey yeah, but it looks solid and should last quite a while.

Will hold off a bit in case there are any other ideas.

I must first mention that I work for InnovativeEssentials.com and would like to give you some highlights on the differences between the M8 mount and the 7500 Heavy Duty LCD Arm. Both arms are top of the line mounts in terms of solid build and weight support. One of the main differences I note is the horizontal extension or reach. The M8 will reach up 22" from the mount and the 7500 will reach out 27." The M8 will only include 1 mount while the 7500 will include a FlexMount kit which allows you to choose from 6 mounting options if you decide to change set up in the future. Although both mounts will support heavy loads, you want to ensure that the tilter mechanism is durable enough to support the weight distribution at the monitor mounting point. Especially in the case of larger displays where the weight may not be distributed equally and the monitor tends to droop down. This is usually overlooked and in many cases some mounts are not strong enough at the tilter section. I can't speak for the M8 on this aspect but I will tell you that the 7500 Heavy duty LCD arm does have a dual spring tilter mechanism that helps counterbalance the weight of the monitor. I have seen mounts that have a tension screw at the tilter joint to minimize drooping but that will defeat the purpose of easily adjusting your screen tilt without tools.

I have had customers who have purchased this arm for their (25lbs - 28lbs) 27" and 30" iMac and even a Wacom Cintiq 21UX.

Hope this is helpful for you.

crtzy,
That's good info. Was just on your site and noticed that the horizontal rise on the 7500 is 18 inches. Did not notice that before. One thing I did not see: Does this arm have a stop mechanism that can be engaged so the arm will not go past the back edge of the desk when pushed back? I have part wall and part window back there.

sneak,

Yes, the 7500 has a 18" reach, measured from the table to the center of the VESA monitor adapter. 2" or 6" extensions are available if additional height is needed, ideal for a sit stand setup. Regarding the stop mechanism, this arm does not have that feature. The base allows for a 360 degree rotation.

glad to help!

$800, wtf.

Just get a cheap Ergotron MX. I hear they're excellent and around $100.

Also, Monoprice doesn't carry monitor arms for 30"

Just curious if anyone has tried the M8+crossbar with two 30" monitors.

The arm is rated at 42lbs and it just so happens that the U3011 is a shade under 21lbs without the stand.

Would be great if I could just get one and be done with it, but seems risky pushing the number.

Are there other suggestions for two monitor solutions that could hold the load of two U3011s?

Ah, thanks for the info and details. Missed the bit about 24".

Pricey option, though. I think I might go with two Ergotron Mxs and see how they work out.

Back