cvgd

Limp Gawd
Dell's Ultrasharp landing page says:

Coming Soon
Broaden your view. The U2913WM
29" monitor keeps you focused on
the details.

Keep Watching.​

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/.../landing/en/ultrasharpmonitor?c=us&l=en&cs=04

From TFT Central (which found pics):

What we do know is the The screen will feature DVI, VGA, HDMI and DisplayPort video connections, along with a 4 port USB hub (2 on the left hand side of the screen). There also looks to possibly be a mini-DisplayPort connection from the photos they have provided. The design is in keeping with other Dell models, with a black design for the bezel and stand, and silver trim. Being 29" in size it will provide a 2560 x 1080 resolution and it is likely it will feature the same AH-IPS panel that is being utilised by LG and Philips for their models. Piecing together some specs we know from those models, this would suggest it will offer a 5ms G2G response time, 300 cd/m2 brightness, 178/178 viewing angles and can reportedly cover 99% of the Adobe RGB colour space (according to the LG EA93 press release). This means it expands beyond the sRGB reference space like some of the other LG.Display IPS panels we heard about several months ago in other sizes.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/27.htm#dell_u2913wm

This is the third monitor with this panel. There is a discussion of the LG EA93:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1713782

Well that's ... interesting. What is the target audience for monitors like this? Are there many games that support this resolution?

If there were a 1440 version of this instead of 1080 lines then I think it might really be nice (I assume the pixel density for this is the same as a 27" 1080p monitor, just wider).

it is interesting but it would be hell to run old games on this thing

Monitors with this aspect ration (21:9) have been targeted at media consumption. I don't know what the gaming experience will look like, and productivity uses could be great or terrible, depending on execution and specific use. It's really a bizarre looking monitor, and I have some trouble imagining what using it will be like.

I had assumed that this format would be a niche product. I'm surprised that Dell is adding it to its Ultrasharp line -- like it or not, probably the most widely known premium monitor line. Dell's carrying this thing almost automatically makes it mainstream.

Heh, it'd be decent for movies that use idiotic aspect ratios like 2.35:1

This site has some pics of the monitor:

http://blog.get-pc.net/?eid=1030004

This one, in particular, is interesting:

http://www.get-pc.net/photo/120920/IMG_2671.jpg

It looks like the monitor has the following ports:

USB
Audio in ?
Displayport
HDMI
DVI
Mini Displayport/Thunderbolt?
Displayport
VGA

There could pretty eaily be three displayport connections on the back of the monitor. I wonder if you can daisy chain. There might also be a split screen/dual input option.

Well that's ... interesting. What is the target audience for monitors like this? Are there many games that support this resolution?

If there were a 1440 version of this instead of 1080 lines then I think it might really be nice (I assume the pixel density for this is the same as a 27" 1080p monitor, just wider).

The pixel density on this monitor is comparable to a 23" 1920x1080 monitor, not 27".

30" 16:10 monitor: 25.4" x 15.9"
29" 21:9 monitor: 26.7" x 11.4"
27" 16:9 monitor: 23.5" x 13.2"
23.6" 16:9 monitor: 20.6" x 11.6"
21.5" 16:9 monitor: 18.7" x 10.5"

In terms of overall screen area and aspect ratio does this LCD have a larger overall screen area than a 30" 16:10 ?

In terms of overall screen area and aspect ratio does this LCD have a larger overall screen area than a 30" 16:10 ?

This is not really a big monitor, it is only as tall as 23" 16:9.

It should be obvious that it isn't even close in area to the 30".

It is about 300 sq in for the 29" 21:9 vs 400 sq in for the 30" 16:10

Even a 27" 16:9 has more area.

no. for a given diagonal, you get maximum area if the shape is a square. the further away you get from a perfect square, the less area you get. so a 29" 21:9 won't even have as much area as a 29" 16:10, much less a 30" 16:10.

I would be interested in a 3840x1080 screen - basically a double wide 1080 screen for gaming - I don't think 2560 is enough but 5760 really is more than you need - you just can't run 2 screens without a big gap in the center even though in terms of space, it's probably ideal.

why are they keep shaving vertical lines again? do you really buy a screen like this to watch tv?

why are they keep shaving vertical lines again? do you really buy a screen like this to watch tv?

It lets them make a 29" screen that has less area than 27" 16:9 screen, so it will likely cost less to build than the 27" and they will also probably try to charge more money than 27".

Less cost to build, higher price to sell = more profit.

That is the only reason that matters.

Actually with less pixels and native displayport these 2560x1080 monitors can help vega in his epic 5x1 portrait gaming center @120Hz.

lol that's absolutely ridiculous, I still like my 16:10 aspect, it matches the human eye the closest. The only real use it has is for fps games for the wider field of view. This'd be usefull if it was 2560x1200, but with only 1080 vertical res it'd feel like someone heavy sat on my desktop and squashed it.

It lets them make a 29" screen that has less area than 27" 16:9 screen, so it will likely cost less to build than the 27" and they will also probably try to charge more money than 27".

Less cost to build, higher price to sell = more profit.

That is the only reason that matters.

We are in total agreement that wider aspect ratios than 16:10 exist exclusively to cut down on manufacturing costs and to allow companies to sell less real estate for more money.

So many downers in this thread.

This monitor is gonna be the shit. As someone who went to CES and saw all the gimicky overpriced headache inducing 60"+ 3D tvs from the big players, then saw the 21:9 vizio in the fucking hallway and was completely blown away by it.

Eyefinity/surround sucks dick. I tried it. It's a pain, bezels suck, a bitch to set up, fucking hacks required for every other title.

This is exactly what I, and many others need.

Hopefully inputs supported will allow it to work in 2 screen mode, 1280x1080 side-by-side as well

I, unlike you bastards, hope these sell well and bigger versions come out.

This monitor is gonna be the shit. As someone who went to CES and saw all the gimicky overpriced headache inducing 60"+ 3D tvs from the big players, then saw the 21:9 vizio in the fucking hallway and was completely blown away by it.

Eyefinity/surround sucks dick. I tried it. It's a pain, bezels suck, a bitch to set up, fucking hacks required for every other title.

Hopefully inputs supported will allow it to work in 2 screen mode, 1280x1080 side-by-side as well

I'd pick one up if it had slightly greater verticle resolution, i NEED at least 1200 verticle pixels for my Photoshop work as I often work with 1024x1024 images, and on a 1080p display I get a scroll-bar and cannot see the image in it's entirety without zooming out. If this was 2560x1200 or even 2880x1800 I'd most definitely get one as I could work with Photoshop and 3ds Max side by side on the same monitor... negating the need for a secondary display. It doesn't matter how awesome a display is, the second I see 1080 or less vertical pixels it's a deal buster for me

Why not just get a 30" LCD then? same horizontal resolution.. and more vertical.. unless cost wise this monitor ends up being a no brainer I don't see the point.

Why not just get a 30" LCD then? same horizontal resolution.. and more vertical.. unless cost wise this monitor ends up being a no brainer I don't see the point.

the point is that with less pixels to drive , one can try to put them in 3x1/5x1 portrait mode, something that Vega recently proved is impossible for 3x2560x1440@120hz, even with 4 way Cfx / SLI

This monitor looks sweet! To bad it will probably be out of my price range. :(

Could be a good alternative to multi monitor gaming.

This.

Those of us who have spent a lot of time know that the extra FOV is amazing. Bezels, maybe not so much. And you don't need a WHOLE screen's worth on your left and right side. I'm betting this monitor will be an awesome alternative to 3x1 setups. I fully intend to pick one up to try it out.

Why not just get a 30" and play at 2560x1080? it's pretty much the same width

I can not wait for more wider monitors. They are def worth it for gaming. I've always loved my square monitors, 1280x1024, 1600x1200. 16:9 monitors have never felt wide enough, and were always a little too wide for what I use computers for. Something about double that wide is good, and triple 16:9 monitors seems too wide.

I game at 15:4 on 3 1280x1024 monitors. I just wish the vertical res was higher.

1080 vert pixels and only a 60hz refresh. F U Dell. Idiots. If this thing was at least 120hz I would consider it.

I'd love this foor that massive FOV. While the idea of a wide setup with 3 monitors is somewhat appealing, the big downers are support and bezels. This is roughly the same cost as 3 good 23" 1920x1080 IPS screens but with a better panel but not as wide. Still, it's a tossup between this and a 27" 2560x1440 for me. I guess if I had the 27" I could run the content at 2560x1080 though, leaving me with more desktop for working. Tough choice.

If you really want to get the full width of that 29" display, pick yourself up a 30" display. That way you get the full width of the display and game at 2560x1080 and the wide field of view. I personally game at 2560x1200 on this display, I find that's a good balance between wide field of view and height

If you really want to get the full width of that 29" display, pick yourself up a 30" display. That way you get the full width of the display and game at 2560x1080 and the wide field of view. I personally game at 2560x1200 on this display, I find that's a good balance between wide field of view and height

Problem is this monitor is $699. A 30" is upwards of $999. That's a chunk of change. The only viable option in the price range would be a 27" which can also be had for $699 or less. I mean, if comparing only Dell models it's $699 versus a whopping $1399, and even if the 30" went on sale for $999 that's still a lot more expensive, not to mention the 29" will likely go on sale as well, my guess at $599. I mean, I can see your point, but honestly I wouldn't consider this monitor in the same group as the 30" monitors out there due to cost difference.

Back