Dell U2715H (new standard gamut model, successor to U2713HM)

• Thread starter Deleted member 89018
  • Start date
I ordered a U2715H last weekend and I've been using it for a few days now. This is my first Dell monitor. I'm satisfied with it, though I'll admit I don't have the most demanding eye when it comes to monitor quality and features. My initial impressions:

* It's much slimmer and sleeker than my old monitor (Asus PB278Q), to the point of almost feeling flimsier in construction. It seems sturdy enough, though.

* Colors appeared to be even across the entire screen, and backlight bleed was minimal.

* The monitor is extremely bright as previously noted. I have mine set at 15%. I left all other settings at default and it looks good.

* The capacitive OSD buttons are not very responsive. I would have preferred physical buttons.

* No noticeable response lag in the two games I played over the weekend (Black Mesa and Stick of Truth).

Unfortunately my display came with a single bright pixel which is only noticeable on black backgrounds. Otherwise it is invisible and sometimes I have trouble finding it even when it's visible. I'll probably still end up pursuing Dell's ZBD warranty, but otherwise I plan on keeping the monitor.

So I unboxed and set up my home office monitor about two weeks ago now and have been using it almost daily since.

I can echo what everyone else has been saying - colors seem even throughout, not a lot of backlight bleed, and super, super bright. It doesn't seem oversaturated (which it shouldn't, since it's standard gamut) but the colors look richer than they do on the U2713HM I have at work. I haven't compared the two side-by-side yet, though, so I suspect that may just be my imagination.

Aside from turning down the brightness I haven't made any changes to the display, and I think it's fantastic. No bad pixels anywhere. The screen coating is very similar to the U2414H, probably the same.

One quirk I noticed: on the U2414H there's a separate "sRGB" mode that switches to the pre-calibrated settings they include on the printout; it also has a "standard" mode which it uses by default.

On the U2715H, the "sRGB" mode isn't listed. It turns out the "standard" mode, the default one, is the one that uses the pre-calibrated settings here (which is great, because it seemed a bit odd to me to have "standard" not really mean anything on the U2414H).

I've mostly used it for office work so far, but I did hook up one of my personal systems to run a few tests and games. I didn't notice any worse response time than the U2414H (which I was able to test side-by-side), so I expect any input lag / response lag that does exist is low enough to not show up at 60fps.

Hopefully we'll see a review from someone with a colorimeter and whatnot, but so far, I can definitely recommend this monitor - if you can get it at a good price.

I was going to pull the trigger on the U2713HM until I found out about this monitor on Dell's site. People are saying it's the successor to the U2713HM, though on Dell's site it is $50 cheaper. Any idea why it would be cheaper?

I have both displays and prefer the U2715H. I use primarily for games and it looks great.

I bought both the U2713HM and U2715H monitors during Black Friday and I received both Monday.

So far, U2715H is sexier, but for some reason, white are more yellowish than on my U2713HM. I don't know if I did something wrong, but U2713HM (Display Port connection) is set to sRGB mode while U2715H (micro Display Port connection) is set to Standard (which is supposed to be the calibrated mode).

It's sad because I really prefer the look of the new monitor compared to the U2713HM, but the white showing more yellow color is killing me.

I was going to pull the trigger on the U2713HM until I found out about this monitor on Dell's site. People are saying it's the successor to the U2713HM, though on Dell's site it is $50 cheaper. Any idea why it would be cheaper?

Sale?

Or, more likely, no one at Dell considered lowering the price of the U2713HM to clear old inventory (or they did, and it's caught in paperwork somewhere).

Or, they decided that the U2713HM should continue to sell alongside the U2713H (wide gamut model) until they have a new wide gamut model to replace the U2713H.

mil - nice, I'll update the front post with the link to that!

Can someone please tell me if would be able to connect this monitor at full resolution to my older macbook pro (A1261) which has DVI dual link out only? Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 512MB. Cheers.

Last edited:
It doesn't have a DVI input, so you wouldn't be able to connect it without some sort of converter. I think you'd need an active one, which would be kind of expensive.

After the horror stories I've read of the 2713HM how could this be any better?

After the horror stories I've read of the 2713HM how could this be any better?
Dell employed a new engineering team for these monitors.

Dell also used LG's next generation panels, which are significantly improved from the prior generation and a step up from everything else on the market. Other manufacturers will be using these panels soon, but Dell is the first to market.

Dell also used LG's next generation panels, which are significantly improved from the prior generation and a step up from everything else on the market. Other manufacturers will be using these panels soon, but Dell is the first to market.

Ah that explains it! Do you have a source? Do you know when Eizo will use it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish Dell would just release these at something like 90Hz. I know IPS doesn't benefit from higher refresh rates as much as TN, but that's not to say it still doesn't benefit. :(

I will upgrade my U2713HM when a refresh rate higher than 60Hz is officially supported.

I admit, even an officially supported 72Hz setting would be nice.

What a load of marketing garbage, do you work for Dell? If Dell did employ new engineers, then they employed idiots since Dell is the only company dumb enough to equip a 27" 1440p monitor with a perceived black-depth ruining frame-less bezel. Also, the U2715H PRAD reviewed had skewed preset gamma which is too high and is inferior to the majority of recently tested 27" 1440p monitors.

The new LG 27MB85R is delay free like the U2715H allegedly is (waiting for SMT Tool tests since PRAD has been wrong a few times), but uses a matte grey bezel and is cheaper in the US. The updated version of the LG 27EA83 (1st version used 130hz PWM & had a 30ms delay) offered all of these features over a year ago...

Last edited:
What a load of marketing garbage, do you work for Dell? If Dell did employ new engineers, then they employed idiots since Dell is the only company dumb enough to equip a 27" 1440p monitor with a perceived black-depth ruining frame-less bezel. Also, the U2715H PRAD reviewed had skewed preset gamma which is too high and is inferior to the majority of recently tested 27" 1440p monitors.
No. My information is from LG, not Dell.

LG has been touting the benefits of these panels (over their earlier panels and the competition) to oems or some time now.

Last edited:
I bought both the U2713HM and U2715H monitors during Black Friday and I received both Monday.

So far, U2715H is sexier, but for some reason, white are more yellowish than on my U2713HM. I don't know if I did something wrong, but U2713HM (Display Port connection) is set to sRGB mode while U2715H (micro Display Port connection) is set to Standard (which is supposed to be the calibrated mode).

It's sad because I really prefer the look of the new monitor compared to the U2713HM, but the white showing more yellow color is killing me.

I had the same issue with the P2414H to the point where I wanted to return it.

I've read that it has something to do with a glue that needs to cure, the monitor being fresh out of production.

I got it calibrated after a month and now, compared to my U2713HM, it has no yellow tint.

How noticeable is the input lag difference between the 13HM and 15H?

Also, the U2715H PRAD reviewed had skewed preset gamma which is too high and is inferior to the majority of recently tested 27" 1440p monitors.

About that review, before calibration, it seems like deltaE values for factory settings are better compared to the sRGB mode, but at the end of that section they say if you're not going to calibrate the monitor you're better off with sRGB setting. Why are they recommending this? :confused: (ultra-noob here)

Does this model support 2560x1440 via HDMI connection?
Or it needed to be tweaked by intel software like 2713hm?
I saw a couple of posts that users are not getting this rez automatically.

It does not. Just plugged a 290x into it and it does not support the full resolution via hdmi. Kind of disappointing.

What coating is it? Is it the same as "semi glossy" or is a matte coating? If this has low input lag and a semi glossy it would be good, don't like the full matte coatings at all though..

What coating is it? Is it the same as "semi glossy" or is a matte coating? If this has low input lag and a semi glossy it would be good, don't like the full matte coatings at all though..

It uses a semi-glossy coating, and is actually delay free; however, it uses a frame-less casing, so your perceived black depth is greatly diminished. Example here

It uses a semi-glossy coating, and is actually delay free; however, it uses a frame-less casing, so your perceived black depth is greatly diminished. Example here

Hmmm not sure if get the AOC or LG now, or wait and see what comes out with these new panels, I want low glow and low input lag, is there any information about the IPS glow on these new ones and if its any better than AOC PLS for example?

Amazon has it on sale right now for 589.34 with prime if anyone is interested. Seems like a deal to me.

Too bad these damn Dell LCDs, as nice as they are, don't OC to 120 Hz like the Korean 1440p LCDs do. :( :mad:

I just picked up one of these yesterday. They were on sale from dell canada with free shipping.

If you are real anal about backlight bleed or panel glow or whatever you call it like a lot of people here, you probably should move along.

When researching monitors it really seems like people are searching for the holy grail here, I doubt many will ever be happy. I keep reading about douche bags writing about "perceived" black and all this other nonsense. If you are like me and came from a cheapo monitor with huge pixels and low ppi you will be impressed. If you are living in your moms basement and blowing every dollar you earn or get from an allowance on CRTs and colour calibration you better get somethin else.

I just picked up one of these yesterday. They were on sale from dell canada with free shipping.

If you are real anal about backlight bleed or panel glow or whatever you call it like a lot of people here, you probably should move along.

When researching monitors it really seems like people are searching for the holy grail here, I doubt many will ever be happy. I keep reading about douche bags writing about "perceived" black and all this other nonsense. If you are like me and came from a cheapo monitor with huge pixels and low ppi you will be impressed. If you are living in your moms basement and blowing every dollar you earn or get from an allowance on CRTs and colour calibration you better get somethin else.

Hah! Well said.

Overall, it sounds like you're pretty happy with your purchase though. Any other concerns or issues? I'm thinking about going with the U2715H as well, just waiting on Amazon stock at this point.

After dealing with three U2415 that had yellowing tinting issues, ckeck offered me to drop ship the U2715H directly from Dell for a great deal with 3 year warranty. I decided to take the risk, and he definitely delivered. Ckeck, I appreciate you for taking your time to help me get a great deal on the monitor. You are very generous.

I am completely satisfied with the monitor. Compared to the U2415, the U2715h's colors pop, images and text looks more clear(higher PPI), and the wider screen gives a more immersive view. I never going back to 24 in 1920 x 1200 monitors.

The only thing I regret is not getting a 2nd U2715.

Here are side by side photos of the U2415 (left) and U2715H (right) on factory settings.

The camera shows glowing on both screens (maybe IPS glow?). I don't see the glow in person, and I don't think its light bleed.

I do not see any noticeable light bleed.

No horizontal black bars on U2715H for TV shows

Either the U2715H has a warmer color compared to the U2415 or a minor yellowing tinting issue. I don't really notice it.

Thanks again Ckeck!

Last edited:
He did the same for me very nice guy. I am loving the display so far. I was thinking of getting a U3415W once the release to pair with this, but I am not so sure at this point. Very Happy.

The camera shows glowing on both screens (maybe IPS glow?). I don't see the glow in person, and I don't think its light bleed.

Just standard issue IPS glow. Light bleed you can obviously see with the eye and will stand out.

You can't take pictures of screens like this with a digital camera...the glow will always get captured and amplified by the camera sensor ten-fold.

Enjoy! ;)

Received this monitor from Dell last week. Had prominent dark spots on white background along the bottom. Very noticeable - between a 2005fpw and 2405fpw. Too bad, cuz otherwise i really like it.

Waiting on replacement to get here.

Updated the main post with TFT Central's review link.

That's two reviews now that seem to jive with the user experiences posted here.

Also of note: 12ms measured lag, pretty good, especially compared to some of the other 27" 1440p IPS screens they tested: BenQ BL2710PT at 25ms, Eizo EV2736W at 18ms and Qnix QX2710 at 22ms. Doesn't stand up to the 4ms total of the ROG Swift, but I think that one's targeted at a different demographic.

Updated the main post with TFT Central's review link.

That's two reviews now that seem to jive with the user experiences posted here.

Also of note: 12ms measured lag, pretty good, especially compared to some of the other 27" 1440p IPS screens they tested: BenQ BL2710PT at 25ms, Eizo EV2736W at 18ms and Qnix QX2710 at 22ms. Doesn't stand up to the 4ms total of the ROG Swift, but I think that one's targeted at a different demographic.

The calibrated contrast and preset gamma are, however, poor.

The LG 27MB85R-B is also delay-free, has better pixel response times, superior default color presets and much higher calibrated contrast, as well as a matte-grey bezel that increases perceived black depth.

It's a shame we can't get hold of the LG here in the UK. For me it's between this at 400 and the BenQ BL2710PT at 350

Back