Dell U2713HM

I just purchased the U2713HM from Amazon Germany.

It cost me EUR 558,90 which is around 454 GBP.

It's rather a nice saving, around 55 GBP compared with the cheapest price in the UK.

Amazon Germany took an age to get stock. I'm hoping a few bugs were ironed out in the manufacturing which may be the reason for Amazon to get such late stock as they possibly wanted to avoid all the initial RMA request etc.

I just purchased the U2713HM from Amazon Germany.

It cost me EUR 558,90 which is around 454 GBP.

It's rather a nice saving, around 55 GBP compared with the cheapest price in the UK.

Amazon Germany took an age to get stock. I'm hoping a few bugs were ironed out in the manufacturing which may be the reason for Amazon to get such late stock as they possibly wanted to avoid all the initial RMA request etc.

My order was delayed by over a week - I too am hoping that they are getting "new" stock with the "bugs ironed out".

R.E. Buying from Germany - I too am interested in this as it's around £100 cheaper.

If you did buy from Germany, is this for shipping to the UK? I noticed you put a GBP price. What was the shipping cost and will you have to pay import duty?

Thanks.
T.

R.E. Buying from Germany - I too am interested in this as it's around £100 cheaper.

If you did buy from Germany, is this for shipping to the UK? I noticed you put a GBP price. What was the shipping cost and will you have to pay import duty?

Thanks.
T.

I was born in London but now migrated to Germany.

So, delivery is within Germany, which is free for me.

Within EU, we pay no import fees between countries.

You could try ordering from Amazon.de to the UK. I would be interested in the shipping costs if you did this.

The UK is an embarrassing rip-off. Germany has the no.1 economy in Europe (CNN 2012) and the cost of living here is cheaper. Still, it's nice to always compare prices to the UK; gives me an idea of how much I am saving for all the things I buy in Germany lol.

Thanks for the update on country info. looks like my uk amazon account lets me log in, it even seemed to accept the fact I have free prime shipping and knew about my addresses with updated country name into German.

I got as far as to confirm my card choice (which is also knew from the UK account) but I've not clicked confirm.

Not speaking German I'm reluctant to put the order through tonight, and if there was a problem with the order I'm not sure I'd understand their emails. I'll think about it a little longer.

Price was:563 Euro = £457.50
Delivery 2-3 Werktage (working days)

Sorry if I'm breaking Forum rules discussing prices here, but I thought some people might be interested.

I Thought I'd try my luck and speak to Dell about a price match. They said they could do 7% discount only taking it down to £568 (delivered) and claimed the price difference was due to the swap out warranty you'd get from Dell direct.

Does anyone know if you Dell would swap out a monitor you bought through Amazon and how it might differ from the other retailers warranty?

Morning all

I received my Dell U2713HM from Amazon Germany yesterday.

Apart from one stuck pixel, or perhaps some dirt behind the coating, it's pretty great.

You can see that the left side of the screen is slightly brighter than the right, but it's not noticeable. I have no significant back light bleed and it is rather uniform, at least on the same level as my U2212hm and HP ZR24W.

It's extremely light and surprisingly was packaged in a Dell box similar in size to the box which the 22" came in.

I find the RGB preset a bit dull for my liking so I use Standard with 50 brightness and 75 contrast. My calibrator is in London so I can't calibrate until January.

My manufactured date is July 2012, Rev A00. I noticed on the reviews at Amazon.Germany that the positive reviews were based on July 2012 manufactured panels whereas the June 2012 had more bleed. Perhaps from this point on Dell got their act together? Only time will tell.

I'm gonna test mine more over the weekend. I read the TFT Centrals Asus PB278Q review and I think the Dell is still the best 27" monitor for the price. To think it cost me 454 GBP when a few years back these monitors went for 900 GBP, it's a good deal.

Can someone confirm the following, if it is right or not?

Back light bleed is seen at all angles, including straight, head on?

IPS glow is seen only when you observe from an angle off center?

It appears my U2713HM has no back light bleed at all! I turned up the brightness to 100, shut off the lights and observed straight on. No back light bleed what so ever! I'm really pleased about this. Despite the one stuck pixel (which I never notice) I'm going to keep this monitor.

Love it!

:)

Dell are aware that there is a problem with the early U2713HM monitors, but are still selling them. :(

I bought a U2713h from Dell UK at the start of October. Manufactured in July, it had the yellow tint in the bottom left corner (spreading across the whole of the bottom left quarter) and the problem with image retention.

I phoned up and a replacement was sent. The second monitor (also manufactured in July) had exactly the same fault so I phoned Dell up again.

The guy I spoke to said as it was a new product and I had received two monitors with exactly the same faults, he would contact a different department to find out if there was a problem with this monitor. I explained to him how I had looked on-line and that it seemed many people with July built monitors were having these problems, but that those who had monitors built in August didn't seem to be having the same trouble.

When he came back, he said that yes there was a problem with the monitors built in July but that the ones built in August shouldn't have the same problems. He said he would arrange for an August monitor to be sent to me.

Today I received my 3rd monitor, and it too is a July monitor with exactly the same problems as the first two.

I phoned Dell up and the guy I spoke to said that although there was a request put through to send me an August monitor, the packing team have very little information so can only send me what they have in the stock room. So I said in which case there was no way he could guarantee that I would get a non-faulty monitor and he said no. So I have asked for my money back.

It is crazy to me that Dell can continue to ship these monitors when it is fully aware that there is a problem with them, especially given there cost and their position as one of their top-of-the-line models..

I can not fault the people on support as they were always helpful and courteous, but Dell themselves should be ashamed. :mad:

It's such a shame because apart from these problems this is a lovely monitor.

In case it helps anyone, to speed up the process should anyone else need to call Dell about this, make sure you have the following information to hand:

Customer Number
Invoice Number
Dell Order Number

(These next three are found on the back of the monitor)

Service Tag
Express SVC Code
Serial Number

They will ask you to carry out the following tests, so if you can do them before calling it saves time/money.

Test the monitor on a different computer
Test the monitor with a different cable.
Test the monitor with no cables attached apart from the power cable.

(For the yellow tint problem, you only need to do the last as it proves it is a hardware problem with the monitor itself)

The bleeding problem is not unique to June and July monitors and is just as likely to occur in August and September monitors. Dell has plans in the next revision that they hope will alleviate the number of monitors with bleed. (note this does not mean you can't get a perfect no-bleed June - October U2713HM!)

However, Dell has no plans on changing their quality control specifications on the current revision and will continue to consider the current "bad" bleed (as seen in many pictures throughout this thread) to be within manufacturers specifications and considered acceptable. This of course does not mean you're disqualified from receiving exchanges or a refund under the 21 day satisfaction guarantee. It does however mean that the bleed may not be eligible for an exchange under warranty after the guarantee period.

I strongly recommend anyone considering the purchase buy their U2713HM from either a brick and mortar location with no fee when exchanging products you're unsatisfied with or from Dell directly (same thing, they pay for overnight shipping and return shipping cost and will keep exchanging until satisfied).

nightswimmer,

The quality of service you are receiving seems pretty bad. It sucks that the support rep you dealt with didn't keep his word. You could have just kept exchanging until you were satisfied. Eventually they would have caught on. Make sure to fill out that customer satisfaction survey and call him out on it.

I assure you that Dell support reps have the power to ensure a specific manufacture date product is sent your way. They can even call for special product inspections prior to shipping in the name of customer service. The problem is that kind of service doesn't seem as common in the consumer support arena. When I deal with enterprise support whether datacenter or the desktop I've never had anything but the best experience.

Last edited:
nightswimmer,

The quality of service you are receiving seems pretty bad. It sucks that the support rep you dealt with didn't keep his word. You could have just kept exchanging until you were satisfied. Eventually they would have caught on.

LOL, yeah, if it were up to me I would have just kept exchanging until I got a good one, or until they got the message, but unfortunately personal circumstances don't allow me that option.

Thanks for the other info. :)

Any tips for running 7680 x 1440? Cables, drivers etc? Im running 2 x 670GTX's

Yeah... dont use Nvidia for multimonitor gaming :D

since Nvidia dont have monitor profiles, you'll need to open display settings everytime you want to switch between Surround and Extended.

ATI also perform better in Eyefinity - one 3GB 7970 @1 GHZ would be enough to run BF3 - and 2 if you really want ULTRA in all settings...

with ATI monitor profiles, you can switch between Extended, Eyefinity, Right+Middle, Left+Middle and Center with 2 clicks with you mouse...

But my best guess is that you wont get rid of your GTX670'ies :D

Looks like the prices of these monitors have really come down in Europe. At 489€ I just couldn't resist and ordered one. It's not a perfect sample though, there is some backlight bleed and its left side is noticably brighter and yellowish on a black background. Reading this thread, though, it looks like many if not most U2713s have this issue so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to send it back. Other than that, the monitor is great.

U2713HM on the left, BenQ EW2430 on the right
http://i.imgur.com/k4cL5.jpg

The photo exaggerates the issue somewhat, it doesn't look as bad in person. At least the blacks on this thing are relatively stable compared to the viewing angle-sensitive MVA BenQ.

I received my replacement today. Still not perfect, but I'd say it's a substantial improvement over the previous one.

Old:
http://i47.tinypic.com/4lhtg5.jpg

New:
http://i47.tinypic.com/33bibh0.jpg

Both photos were taken with the same camera settings (1/15s, f/2.8 and ISO 6400).

The new one has a lot less yellow bleed on the left but unfortunately it has a small bleeding area in the lower right that the old one didn't have, but I think I can live with it, it's less noticable in real life than it is in the photo. Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a perfectionist when it comes to monitors though :)

Finally arrived. Very happy with it. Using it as I type. I wouldn't have even noticed the backlight bleed if not for "perfectionists" raving on about it in this thread hehe. I'm not even sure if it's true backlight bleed in the lower left - it seems to disappear completely if I move my head in a certain direction.

if this monitor hits 600$ i will buy it immediately. i can probably sell my u2412m for 200$ and make this a 400$.

i will probably lose some performance in games but i will just sli the 670s

It's on sale again for $559 on the Australian Dell site. I'm curious to see when the U.S. site will get a sale price and if it'll be as steep.

If any people remember me from the U2412M thread; I put a call in to my Dell rep this morning to ask for a price quote and will report back.

It's on sale again for $559 on the Australian Dell site. I'm curious to see when the U.S. site will get a sale price and if it'll be as steep.

i would buy one for this price right now.

If any people remember me from the U2412M thread; I put a call in to my Dell rep this morning to ask for a price quote and will report back.

let me know what they say and how low you can get them!

Hello all

I just wanted to add some pictures of my monitor which illustrates no backlight bleed at all. With the exception of one stuck pixel, I truly believe this monitor is as close to perfect as can be.

I think it's worth giving it a shot at least from somewhere with a good returns policy like Amazon. You need to remember that a lot of people come to these forums to post problems while some others without problems tend to enjoy their screens and not bother posting. There are some good panels out there; don't be put off by some of the posts here.

Brightness 0; Contrast 75

0bright.jpg

Brightness 41; Contrast 75

41bright.jpg

Brightness 100; Contrast 75

100bright.jpg

What do you all think? And truth be told, the panel looks even better in person compared with the pictures above.

:D

The panel looks very good even on camera. You definately have a winner. I totally agree with the fact that people with problems tend to post more. Enjoy your new display!

I will get my U2713 next week, probably Wednesday. Can't wait!

Hello all

I just wanted to add some pictures of my monitor which illustrates no backlight bleed at all. With the exception of one stuck pixel, I truly believe this monitor is as close to perfect as can be.

:D

Glad to hear you're satisfied with your monitor. By the way, have you checked for cross hatching? I checked a sample U2713hm in my local store, in brighter shades it was visible (the backlighting was acceptable for me and no dead pixels in that sample).
I'm only concerned if this cross hatching is present in every U2713hm or just earlier models, is it fixed now?

I'm curious, usually most people complain about the backlight bleeding or dead pixels, but they rarely mention cross hatching.

The panel looks very good even on camera. You definately have a winner. I totally agree with the fact that people with problems tend to post more. Enjoy your new display!

I will get my U2713 next week, probably Wednesday. Can't wait!

Thanks mate. Keep us posted on how your new monitor turns out. Fingers crossed for you. :)

Glad to hear you're satisfied with your monitor. By the way, have you checked for cross hatching? I checked a sample U2713hm in my local store, in brighter shades it was visible (the backlighting was acceptable for me and no dead pixels in that sample).
I'm only concerned if this cross hatching is present in every U2713hm or just earlier models, is it fixed now?

I'm curious, usually most people complain about the backlight bleeding or dead pixels, but they rarely mention cross hatching.

Hello Enclave. Please can you detail/explain how I can check for cross hatching?

Hello Enclave. Please can you detail/explain how I can check for cross hatching?

I found these pictures somewhere, an U2713hm owner took them:

http://imageshack.us/a/img18/5504/dellu2713hmcrosshatchin.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img266/5504/dellu2713hmcrosshatchin.jpg

The sample I checked in the store had these faint cross lines only when I was standing exactly in front of the monitor and staring really closely at brighter colors(I couldn't notice it at darker ones) and looking for this hatching. Maybe not every screen is affected and if someone's eyes aren't as good or somebody doesn't know what to look for, then it is not prominent.
However staring at the screen from sideways it wasn't noticeable.
I checked this sample twice, first I just wanted to see how big,etc. this monitor is but I couldn't see any kind of hatching.
Then I read somewhere this kind of issue and few days later I returned the store and wanted to see it with my own eyes, when looking for it closely I could notice it, but I know what I was looking for.

Simply put, this cross hatching is some kind of crossed lines from left to right upward visible only in bright plain colors, it looks like as a pattern applied in a photo manipulating software. (I hope my description wasn't confusing, English is not my native language)

Those images are not a problem with the monitor. They are an aliasing artifacts from the camera.

You get the same kind of patterns taking pictures of some fabrics with a digital camera.

This is probably why you don't see people discussing the problem here, because it isn't a monitor problem, it's a camera problem.

I found these pictures somewhere, an U2713hm owner took them:

http://imageshack.us/a/img18/5504/dellu2713hmcrosshatchin.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img266/5504/dellu2713hmcrosshatchin.jpg

The sample I checked in the store had these faint cross lines only when I was standing exactly in front of the monitor and staring really closely at brighter colors(I couldn't notice it at darker ones) and looking for this hatching. Maybe not every screen is affected and if someone's eyes aren't as good or somebody doesn't know what to look for, then it is not prominent.
However staring at the screen from sideways it wasn't noticeable.
I checked this sample twice, first I just wanted to see how big,etc. this monitor is but I couldn't see any kind of hatching.
Then I read somewhere this kind of issue and few days later I returned the store and wanted to see it with my own eyes, when looking for it closely I could notice it, but I know what I was looking for.

Simply put, this cross hatching is some kind of crossed lines from left to right upward visible only in bright plain colors, it looks like as a pattern applied in a photo manipulating software. (I hope my description wasn't confusing, English is not my native language)

If I have this cross hatching, should it be visible in MS Word, within the white page area? I'm having trouble finding it.

On another note, I discovered my monitor has image retention. I followed the method posted a few pages back that details how to check for it and I can confirm it happens on my monitor.

Interestingly, I tested my old U2212hm and that did not produce the image retention. So, its definitely an issue with the U2713hm.

Now, I'm not sure how often this would affect my screen since how often would I be required to produce a static white image on a black background for 15-30mins?

Those images are not a problem with the monitor. They are an aliasing artifacts from the camera.

You get the same kind of patterns taking pictures of some fabrics with a digital camera.

This is probably why you don't see people discussing the problem here, because it isn't a monitor problem, it's a camera problem.

Maybe my description was confusing and I linked these images to show something to have an idea what to look for.

I have seen this cross hatching with my own eyes in the sample u2713hm at the store, even the shop assistant admitted he can see it too, however only looking really closely so it was there just not everybody noticed it or they had a faulty sample.

I'm planning to purchase this monitor so I thought to ask around how prominent is this or how many units affected.

The assistant was kind enough to let me check a few sample images and I could notice this in bright plain red, green, blue images and even in Windows Explorer in the white background, however as I said, I had to lean really close to the monitor (less than 40 centimeters - 15.75 inches) to notice this cross hatching.

If I have this cross hatching, should it be visible in MS Word, within the white page area? I'm having trouble finding it.

On another note, I discovered my monitor has image retention. I followed the method posted a few pages back that details how to check for it and I can confirm it happens on my monitor.

Interestingly, I tested my old U2212hm and that did not produce the image retention. So, its definitely an issue with the U2713hm.

Now, I'm not sure how often this would affect my screen since how often would I be required to produce a static white image on a black background for 15-30mins?

How long does it take to go away after you get it?

How long does it take to go away after you get it?

I've had the monitor off for 90mins and it's still there, but it is improving as it's now barely visible.

I also noticed that I could faintly see the imprint of the scroll bar from my Firefox session since I run my browser in windowed mode and not full screen.

Looks like I may end up returning this monitor after all....damn...the back light was really great on my monitor....:mad:

My U2713 has been great. No dead or stuck pixels and very good color and panel uniformity. I do have some White IPS glow on the bottom left and right corner, but I guess that is what you get with IPS panels..

Interested in one of these, see the awesome AU price - But it's $799 in the US. Anyone have any better prices in the US?

Maybe my description was confusing and I linked these images to show something to have an idea what to look for.

I have seen this cross hatching with my own eyes in the sample u2713hm at the store, even the shop assistant admitted he can see it too, however only looking really closely so it was there just not everybody noticed it or they had a faulty sample.

I'm planning to purchase this monitor so I thought to ask around how prominent is this or how many units affected.

The assistant was kind enough to let me check a few sample images and I could notice this in bright plain red, green, blue images and even in Windows Explorer in the white background, however as I said, I had to lean really close to the monitor (less than 40 centimeters - 15.75 inches) to notice this cross hatching.

I know exactly the 'cross hatching' you're referring to and I was trying to google this exactly yesterday and then I found your post. I just received my U2713HM sight unseen based on the reviews and started noticing yesterday while visiting multiple websites with white backgrounds or when check my email, etc. that there seemed to be faint white diagonal lines running across significant portions of the screen. I wasn't sure if it had something to do with the anti-glare coating or not. I've noticed it at any distance from screen less than ~30". I've also noticed that I this issue goes away when you are looking at parts of the screen showing the issue head-on. The problem is, in my opinion, you're always going to be looking at either the top or bottom of the screen as some angle. I tried different power cords, outlets, different computers, cables, etc. None of it changed the issue.

Is this "normal" for this monitor? I've never seen anything like this before with any other LCD monitors I've owned. I'm trying not to focus on it, but I noticed the issue almost right away without inspecting the monitor with a fine-tooth-comb. I think this might drive me nuts.

For what it's worth, the build date on this monitor says September 2012.

Last edited:
Glad to hear the latest built are getting better reviews. Now to wait for a sale.

Interested in one of these, see the awesome AU price - But it's $799 in the US. Anyone have any better prices in the US?

somebody was going to call and report back.

the u2412m thread always had people calling and coming back with great prices. when the monitor first came out its msrp was like 429$ on dell. people were calling and getting it for 289 and sometimes less. more commonly around 300. which was pretty good when the dell site had no sale.

hoping the dude calls and tells us she gave it to him for 559$ in which case i would probably call and buy it immediately. since i could sell my u2412m for 200$

I'm going to have the chance to test one of these out this week, and I'll make some comparisons to the PB278Q that I'm currently using. Nothing super-technical, but I'll be looking at AG coating, sharpness, color, build, etc.

For sure!
Let us know asap... It really is a tossup between the two for me and I'm sure many others.

somebody was going to call and report back.

the u2412m thread always had people calling and coming back with great prices. when the monitor first came out its msrp was like 429$ on dell. people were calling and getting it for 289 and sometimes less. more commonly around 300. which was pretty good when the dell site had no sale.

hoping the dude calls and tells us she gave it to him for 559$ in which case i would probably call and buy it immediately. since i could sell my u2412m for 200$

My Dell rep is based out of NY, so I'm wagering they're center was affected by Sandy. Give it a few more days.

Back