Dell U2713HM

By the way, this thread is really quiet for such an exciting release. I suspect it's due to the fact it's not cheap and not many people have bought it as a result?

Exciting, yes. Cheap, ehh not as cheap as you got it. I won't gamble on a really cheap product when my monitor purchase is intended to last at least half a decade so the Korean eBay panels are not happening for me.

I'm personally waiting to hear that QC issues are being ironed out--which seems to be hit or miss at this point--and how the Asus PB278Q performs comparatively in QC and input lag.

Hi guys,

My new U2713HM came overnight shipping via fedex with paid return shipping on the previous display. The bleed effect on the new display is significantly less. I am super pleased now. Especially that there is almost no yellow/orange bleed, only faint white. And of course, there are no stuck or dead pixels. The new one was also manufactured August 2012.
Here is a picture of the first one with bad bleed:
http://postimage.org/image/51ll2fvkf/

Here is a picture of the second one:
http://postimage.org/image/4onmkx0cd/

I would praise Dell for amazing warranty coverage, but since my purchase is linked to a corporate account that has purchased over a million in hardware from Dell over the last two years, I had nothing to worry about. Technically the bleed in the first picture is within manufacturers specs, so I would hate to hear stories of denied warranty exchange. At least all consumers have a 21 day satisfaction guarantee for money back or exchange. However according to http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/xlob/C8608am0.pdf Dell "may" charge a 15% restocking fee on money back returns within those 21 days, although from what I hear they don't do that for displays. In any case always test your expensive new purchases! Not that anyone taking the time to read this forum wouldn't ;)

Last edited:
pecheckler,my monitor looks pretty much as yours,it also has an august 2012 man date.
very happy with this monitor,the only change i made was use an icm profile that is posted on tft central.

I wonder if you'd have any luck trying to get Dell USA to match the Dell Australia price. With the exchange rate it'd be about $570.

Another great review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6308/dell-u2713hm-unbeatable-performance-out-of-the-box

In the end, I think the U2713HM is a very well designed display and one that I do recommend, especially if it is available on sale from Dell. It is one of the few displays that after spending time with it I don’t have any annoyances or problems that I feel need to be fixed. The user experience from opening the box to using the display is well considered and designed, with no major flaws to be found. A Dell display might not stand out on your desk, but with its test performance it stands out in my lab. Dell has a wonderful blend of features and performance in the U2713HM, and while not the value leader in 27” displays, this might be my favorite overall model in this category right now.

What color is the power led on the monitor when its on?

Is it really blue? I did get a chance to look up the review of it and it said white for power led

correction it is white-looked blue to me when i looked-oops

How often do these go on sale? $800 is alot. I've seen in other countries selling for $550. I need a coupon or something...

How often do these go on sale? $800 is alot. I've seen in other countries selling for $550. I need a coupon or something...

They've just been released, so it might take awhile to see a sale on it, although that $559 price on Dell's Australia site seemed pretty sweet. Amazon.com has it for $705, and if you live in a state that doesn't charge tax, that's significantly lower than buying it from Dell right now.

the u2412m came out around this time last year and I got it when it was on sale for 299 and its MSRP was still like 425 or whatever on the dell site.

also when they have sales its almost always better to call them. apparently the dell sales people will make some pretty outrageous deals. you can read about it on the u2412m thread here.

when it hits or goes below 600$ I think I might pick it up and sell my u2412m for 200$

Looks like the prices of these monitors have really come down in Europe. At 489€ I just couldn't resist and ordered one. It's not a perfect sample though, there is some backlight bleed and its left side is noticably brighter and yellowish on a black background. Reading this thread, though, it looks like many if not most U2713s have this issue so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to send it back. Other than that, the monitor is great.

U2713HM on the left, BenQ EW2430 on the right
http://i.imgur.com/k4cL5.jpg

The photo exaggerates the issue somewhat, it doesn't look as bad in person. At least the blacks on this thing are relatively stable compared to the viewing angle-sensitive MVA BenQ.

Yeah got it from Dell and yes Full price :-( Actually I get it Tomorrow...

Looks like the prices of these monitors have really come down in Europe. At 489€ I just couldn't resist and ordered one. It's not a perfect sample though, there is some backlight bleed and its left side is noticably brighter and yellowish on a black background. Reading this thread, though, it looks like many if not most U2713s have this issue so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to send it back. Other than that, the monitor is great.

U2713HM on the left, BenQ EW2430 on the right
http://i.imgur.com/k4cL5.jpg

The photo exaggerates the issue somewhat, it doesn't look as bad in person. At least the blacks on this thing are relatively stable compared to the viewing angle-sensitive MVA BenQ.

Your U2713HM bleed is really really bad. I hope you bought it from Dell for the free no hassle exchange. The bleed on yours is the first i've seen with the problem in the upper-right corner, i've only ever seen yellow in the bottom left and some white in top-right... and i've seen over a dozen different lights-off pics on black backgrounds.

Here is my original: http://postimage.org/image/51ll2fvkf/
Here is mine after the exchange from Dell. http://postimage.org/image/4onmkx0cd/

The same customer service rep I got the RMA from called and e-mailed me after I received the new monitor seeking confirmation that the new monitor was without the bleed problem. She even said she made sure the issue wasn't present on exchange monitor I was sent (before I replied).

Well, at least if it's worse than average, the chances are I'll get a better one when I exchange it. I didn't buy it from Dell but I still have 14 days to return it. I seriously have to consider that option.

I just read the TFT review of the U2713. I knew I should have read it before :-( It looks like it has bad Input lag. So playing something like BF3 would not be very good? Anyone playing BF3 on this and finding it fine to play on?

I just read the TFT review of the U2713. I knew I should have read it before :-( It looks like it has bad Input lag. So playing something like BF3 would not be very good? Anyone playing BF3 on this and finding it fine to play on?
i have not seen any input lag issues.
i am playing on a 580 gtx 1.5gb card for now and happy so far.

OK got mine up and running. And all I can say is wow. This monitor is really beautiful. It has almost no AG coating which is awesome. Mine has zero dead or stuck pixels and no backlight bleed that I can see. I do have the white glow in the lower right corner. I played some BF3 also, and wow it looks amazing on 2560x1440 res. I was afraid of really bad performance at that res with just a single gtx 680. But I was pleasantly surprised that the only setting I had to lower or turn off that is was HIGH post AA.. I'm running everything set to HIGH and 16x AF and no AA at all and it seems to run just as good when I had my 1920x1200 res monitor. I'll do more playing on Friday to really check it out. I also used my spyder 4 pro to calibrate it. So far I'm very impressed....I'm also running it via Displayport...

Got two of my three the other day. Dell would only allow me to purchase two at a time, so one went to a friends place and didnt arrive before I flew back to work.

I am in agreeance with most of you, wow! This is my first 2560x1440 monitor(s) and im extremely impressed. Civ5 looks epic, Wow needs a huge UI mod to make the most of it but I love 'em. I cant wait until im back from work and hook up all three in Nvidia surround. 7680 x 1440 here I come!!

In gaming I saw a slight amount of bleed in the lower left, would I have seen it if it was pointed out so much on this thread? Im not sure, but im really happy with my purchase and will post pics of sexy screens when im back home.

Any tips for running 7680 x 1440? Cables, drivers etc? Im running 2 x 670GTX's

Your U2713HM bleed is really really bad. I hope you bought it from Dell for the free no hassle exchange. The bleed on yours is the first i've seen with the problem in the upper-right corner, i've only ever seen yellow in the bottom left and some white in top-right... and i've seen over a dozen different lights-off pics on black backgrounds.

Here is my original: http://postimage.org/image/51ll2fvkf/
Here is mine after the exchange from Dell. http://postimage.org/image/4onmkx0cd/

The same customer service rep I got the RMA from called and e-mailed me after I received the new monitor seeking confirmation that the new monitor was without the bleed problem. She even said she made sure the issue wasn't present on exchange monitor I was sent (before I replied).

Same here...

Hi Guys

My biggest problem with the IPS monitors was the aggressive anti glare coating. I need the monitor solely for coding and viewing black text on a white background.

Even though Dell U2713HM has light AG coating some reviews suggest that the AG is still not perfect. Anybody had the chance to compare U2713HM to Samsung S27A850D? The later one uses PLS panel with light anti glare coating as well.

Thanks!

You should give these guys a shout - http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-u2713hm. They've reviewed both of those monitors and seem really picky about AG coatings and really know their stuff. They helped put my mind at ease that I wasn't going insane thinking the U2711 looked horrible because of the AG. Still not sure whether to replace it with the U2713HM or go full on glossy (S27B970D).

I consider moving to full glossy as well. My assumption is that for viewing text on white background the reflection will not be much of a problem.. but still I never tried glossy maybe someone will advise on this.

I have an option to get one of these for $650 through our distributor via my company.
Am tempted.
I am also interested in the Samsung S27A850D.
Both have issues, but seemingly less than others in this price range.
The Samsung is about $100 more in my case than the Dell from online retailers.

Am also getting tempted to just grab a Korean model for $350-$400 since this such a crapshoot it appears.
It seems like overall QC is not good these days, or maybe the forums I read are just a lot of really critical users.
Maybe the regular end user does not look for or worry so much about BLB, color uniformity, IPS glow, etc! :D

I have an option to get one of these for $650 through our distributor via my company.
Am tempted.
I am also interested in the Samsung S27A850D.
Both have issues, but seemingly less than others in this price range.
The Samsung is about $100 more in my case than the Dell from online retailers.

Am also getting tempted to just grab a Korean model for $350-$400 since this such a crapshoot it appears.
It seems like overall QC is not good these days, or maybe the forums I read are just a lot of really critical users.
Maybe the regular end user does not look for or worry so much about BLB, color uniformity, IPS glow, etc! :D

I honestly think this is the case. The community here is particularly knowledgeable about LCD's and will be pickier about most things.

But generally it comes down to the price. Outside of video cards people generally don't pay this much for computer equipment, so they naturally have higher expectations. To be honest, while I think a lot of the complaints that you will see about certain things around here (AG coating, tinting, backlight bleed) are things most people won't really care about too much. I know this because when I sold my previous monitor (a Dell U2211H) to someone else, even after warning the buyer about all three of the above issues, he was still very excited about buying it after I showed it to him while it was turned on. In practice, they didn't really bother me that much either while I used it myself. Also, you have to consider that making a perfect LCD becomes even harder to do when they become bigger in both size and resolution, if you want to think about it quantitatively.

But with all of that said, I still think that quality control from the major LCD makers (Samsung, LG) should be better than what it currently is given the prices that we are paying. Even if we are all just being picky, if you are blowing $500+ on a single monitor, you should be entitled to free replacements until you get something that is nearly perfect.

Last edited:
Back