Dell U2711H vs 3 x Dell U2311H vs 2 x Dell U2410

1-anh

Weaksauce
Hoping for some opinions on either triple Dell U2311H for eyefinity or Dell U2711H with two U2211H's in portrait for website viewing or dual Dell U2410.

The price for the U2311H's in eyefinity would set me back around $770. The price for the U2711H setup would set me back around $1265. And the price of the U2410 setup would go for around $985.

My original plan was to go for the triple U2311H in eyefinity, however I always read threads about how eyefinity isnt that great, and a good single monitor is the way to go. So I would like some of your opinions, and thoughts on the subject. A few friends have said to just go for the U2311's. Cost is not a major issue, since after doing a few co-op terms with large energy based companies I will have alot of money saved up for a new rig.

Thanks in advance for any help.

What games would you be primarily playing? There are some 1 large monitor > 3 smaller but others 3 > the 1 larger.

I would primarily be playing FPS, RTS and RPG games. I have heard RTS is better with 1 big screen and RPG games could go either way and FPS is much better with 3 screens.

I would primarily be playing FPS, RTS and RPG games. I have heard RTS is better with 1 big screen and RPG games could go either way and FPS is much better with 3 screens.

FPS = 3 like you said
RTS = 1
RPG, depends on if the gui is customizable and where the action/health bars are. For example, Dragon age has the health and action bars on the far left which puts it way outside of your area of view if you are 3 monitoring landscape. I haven't been able to find a mod that allows this to be changed either. If I were you I'd try researching the games you want to play to see what is better. I might suggest 1 30" over the alternatives considering how much you are willing to pay for the U2711H setup and that you can find the 30"ers on sale for under that at times.

I had considered getting a 30" and maybe getting two 2007FP for multiasking purposes, but the 30" in canada is around 1400 on sale. I just can't justify the cost of it.

Do not waste your money on the U2410. The U2311H is much better for gaming. If you want a 1200p display wait for reviews of the new Asus PA model (500$), it is going to be very hard for it not to be better than the U2410 considering every other recently released IPS panel is.

FPS = 3 like you said
RTS = 1
RPG, depends on if the gui is customizable and where the action/health bars are. For example, Dragon age has the health and action bars on the far left which puts it way outside of your area of view if you are 3 monitoring landscape. I haven't been able to find a mod that allows this to be changed either. If I were you I'd try researching the games you want to play to see what is better. I might suggest 1 30" over the alternatives considering how much you are willing to pay for the U2711H setup and that you can find the 30"ers on sale for under that at times.

hey sorry to hijack the thread i am in the same boat i am not sure to get one big 27-30 or 3 monitors but i am looking either at the new asus depends on reviews or the hp zrw24 what ever it is. Since i saw your comment i was just wondering i play all type of games and the pc is only a gaming pc if i do run eyefinity and i am playing dragon age can i disable eyefinity and just just the center monitor to play and only run eyefinity on the games i want... and is it easy to do? thanks

Do not waste your money on the U2410. The U2311H is much better for gaming. .

Just cheaper, stop your bullsh!t for once.

To the OP: go with one big or 3 small in eyefinity. 2 are a bit weird for gaming, the big bezel will be in the middle.

Thanks guys, plan on going with 3 x U2311H. Seems like the best choice since mismatched monitors for the one large would probably annoy me sooner or later.

I would go with a large single monitor myself. If only because the U2311H's quality is hit or miss (an issue with eIPS - the economical one, not the enhanced one).

Two will suck for gaming.

Three in eyefinity will be ok in some games, and be completely unplayable in others where the side monitors will be so fishbowled as to be disorienting or useless and the HUDs will be far on the outside monitors out of your line of site hurting your gaming in FPS and rendering a srategy or RPG game unplayable for the most part.

A single 27" is your safe bet to work great with everything, and you won't have to hope that profile switching works and you can use Windows 7 as it was intended dragging windows to the edges for split screen or maximize, etc.

I had 3x24" for eyefinity, hated it in landscape mode (may be better in portrait but not all games allow it), and switched to a 30" and am SOOOO much happier. :)

Almost the same with u2410 in game mode, colors sucks in this mode but you can do a trick to get srgb colors. Ghosting is a bit worse in u2311h.

TFTCentral, whom I trust more than statements, notes:

Responsiveness - They are all very close really on the most part but I'd have to give the slight edge to the U2311H. The Dell U2410 is close behind but has a slightly more pronounced trail behind the moving car.

of course, some might say now it's "nothing"

and it's 10ms vs 14ms for the latency, though faster monitors range around 6-8ms.

Two will suck for gaming.

Three in eyefinity will be ok in some games, and be completely unplayable in others where the side monitors will be so fishbowled as to be disorienting or useless and the HUDs will be far on the outside monitors out of your line of site hurting your gaming in FPS and rendering a srategy or RPG game unplayable for the most part.

A single 27" is your safe bet to work great with everything, and you won't have to hope that profile switching works and you can use Windows 7 as it was intended dragging windows to the edges for split screen or maximize, etc.

I had 3x24" for eyefinity, hated it in landscape mode (may be better in portrait but not all games allow it), and switched to a 30" and am SOOOO much happier. :)

If I have 3 23" in landscape, could I play a game that doesn't support eyefinity well in the center monitor in windowed mode?

if you play a lot of rpgs and RTS a larger screen will benefit..

also.. its not like one big screen for FPS is bad...

I'd go with a 27 or a 30..

well, digitalversus says the contrary :p

well... there goes your credibility :p (j/k, however, digitalversus has some questionable "response time" testing procedures, namely their test image and documentation of their tests. TFTCentral shows the actual test image for the reader to make a judgement).

hey sorry to hijack the thread i am in the same boat i am not sure to get one big 27-30 or 3 monitors but i am looking either at the new asus depends on reviews or the hp zrw24 what ever it is. Since i saw your comment i was just wondering i play all type of games and the pc is only a gaming pc if i do run eyefinity and i am playing dragon age can i disable eyefinity and just just the center monitor to play and only run eyefinity on the games i want... and is it easy to do? thanks

Yes you can take off the eyefinity group and just use one monitor to game on. It's not very difficult and you can even set up preset modes for switching back and forth to make it even less painless.

I'm running 1x dell u2311h and 2x NEC EA231, both monitors are the same panel model/type, but they are just sold by two different companies. Its very impressive in portrait eyefinity and I love that as a desktop setup. Its nice in Landscape too. There is just one problem. If your planning on using it in portrait mode be careful with what graphics card your using. I get vertical tearing on one of the monitors. It stems from not having them all connected with the same cable type. So your gonna have to invest in a MST Hub(not released yet, but rumored to cost ~$150) or get a card like the 6990 which allows you to connect 3+ monitors with DP cables. I'm using a 6950 w/ two dvi/one DP connection right now.

Regarding the Digital Verus and TFT central motion dispute...LCD motion performance can actually vary depending on the brightness. DV calibrates to 200cdm/2 while TFT calibrates to 120cdm/2 brightness, hence the small difference.

DV recently updated their motion testing aswell

The real reason for choosing the U2311H over the U2410 is not having the medicore black level. One should want black to be displayed as black not grey right? Especially in dark games where everything will appear washed out and lifeless.

Waiting for reviews on the 1200p Asus PA246q 500$ IPS panel would also be a wise decision as they shouldn't be more than a week or 2 off.

I have 3 of the U2311Hs and I find that I liked my single 32" 1080p TV better overall. For the past week I have only been using one of my U2311Hs and I don't really miss Eyefinity (moved my setup to a new room and never bothered to set up more than 1 monitor).

Just my $0.02, in fact if anyone wants to buy them I will sell all 3 for $600 since a really nice 32" IPS Panasonic is on sale now that I have my eye on. They are mint in every way and only 4 months old.

So of your choices I would go with the 27" Dell when it's on sale.

But as I said, I would personally prefer this instead (for around half the price of the 27" Dell):

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=409a491866b84f45708a6e37ca21888fen02

:)

Last edited:
Well there's the nice flexibility with U2311H's. You can do 3x1L for shooters, but then you can 3x1P for RTS's. You 'll get more resolution with 3x1P versus a single 27"-30". My 2 cents.

Well there's the nice flexibility with U2311H's. You can do 3x1L for shooters, but then you can 3x1P for RTS's. You 'll get more resolution with 3x1P versus a single 27"-30". My 2 cents.

That's true. For the OMFG factor Eyefinity in portrait is still the best bang for the buck.

3x23" in P is bigger and 3 times the res of my 32" that is true, but the bars are really a bummer in P with the skinny 23" 16:9 screens. In L they are not an issue but I can't see 50% of my side monitors anyway (without turning my head) and for some reason L just RAPES my GPU (while P is not much slower than a single 1080p).

For me the breaking point was having to reconfigure "move anything" everytime I switched from L to P in WOW.

When my best friend asked what he should get (I am the only person he knows with Eyefinity and he only plays WOW) I said "If I had to do it over again with $820 to spend I would get a 32" IPS 1080p for $500 or the 27" Dell for $750 instead." That is honestly what I would do.

But he decided to get a 30" Dell instead since he is not as cheap as I am. :p

Back