Dell U2711

wow this thread fell pretty far. Was suddenly interested in a high res 27 inch again but forgot about the aggressive coating on these. Owning both a 2333T and a 2311h, the coating on the samsung is much more pleasing. But the gamma shift is annoying since I often lay down using it, so I use the dell. Not gonna fork over the cash for one of these until they change the coating though

wow this thread fell pretty far. Was suddenly interested in a high res 27 inch again but forgot about the aggressive coating on these. Owning both a 2333T and a 2311h, the coating on the samsung is much more pleasing. But the gamma shift is annoying since I often lay down using it, so I use the dell. Not gonna fork over the cash for one of these until they change the coating though

Samsung SA850 is just around the corner. :)

My U2711 was finally delivered yesterday and with much apprehension I hooked up the monitor to my computer.
I was really worried about the AG Coating but I can honestly say it doesn't worry me much, although I would still prefer the glossy screen of my old Dell SP2309 but it's something I will get use to pretty quickly. The clarity of the screen is great, text is so sharp and clear and when you zoom in the text is still very clear. The size of the text is a bit small like my older Dell so I'm use to that already.
I use my computer a lot to edit photos and finally I have a monitor that when calibrated with my Huey Pro displays correct colour and the screen doesn't darken when I shift off axis.
For only $624 this thing was a bargain, I haven't notice any faults with my screen at all which is good after reading so many people complaining about Dell's quality issues.

For only $624 this thing was a bargain, I haven't notice any faults with my screen at all which is good after reading so many people complaining about Dell's quality issues.

Id say so, where did you find it at this price?

That's amazing. I would take one at that price in a heartbeat AG issues or not.

I have 3x P2210Hs and I'd prefer one giant screen. I can't decide between the ACD or the U2711 which has more ports and flexibility. *sigh*

I read a loooot posts where people have complaints about this monitor. Please tell me which one of you have this monitor one year or more and don't have any problem with it? I'm very interested in this monitor but this problems worries me. I had 4 years Samsung 193p+ monitor and I didn't have any problem with it so it's really strange that people have so much problems with U2711 which cost a lot more.

Today I tested this monitor but I really don't know why you people hate AG coating in this monitor? For me it looks like on every other screen and not bother me at all. AG coating really is not a problem. I'm only little dissapointed because I expecting that picture is more sharp. But anyways it's ok monitor.

I tried out the U2711 at a Microcenter a few months back, I think I remembered seeing splotches of rainbow sparkle everywhere. But then again it was likely that I was really close to the screen, or it was misconfigured, since the rig didn't have a dual dvi cable, so no 1440p.

But this month I came back to verify that I wasn't going insane and seeing things, they put up the U3011 in place of the U2711. It's a beautiful monitor. The AG is almost close to what I'm seeing on my NEC EA231WMi, so that surprised me. But, I do see the rainbow effect around white text like on [H], which I don't see with my NEC. It wasn't enough to bother me for the first hour I spent with the U3011, but maybe as I spend more time with the U3011, it will change.

Today I tested this monitor but I really don't know why you people hate AG coating in this monitor? For me it looks like on every other screen and not bother me at all. AG coating really is not a problem. I'm only little dissapointed because I expecting that picture is more sharp. But anyways it's ok monitor.
It looks just like my laptops to me so no real issue with it as I'm used to the look. If I wanted a monitor to have perfect white for reading text I would have gotten one designed for that. No monitor does everything so yeah I agree with you.

I'm thinking about buying this monitor. Can someone tell me how strong this monitor is affected by AG coating and IPS glow in comparison to others (HP ZR24w)? I've looked through this thread but couldn't find a real hint on that.

Well I had one for a week and it had a great picture nice and sharp and great colour but I use my CP for editing photos and I just couldn't get use to the sparkly effect of the AG coating. It wouldn't have worried me if I was watching movies or if I played games but when you are sitting close editing photos this sparkly grainy effect didn't suit me,
I got it for a great price too $629 on sale and I hated having to send such a bargain back. But I ended up with the Asus PA246Q 24" IPS and I'm happy with that, the screen is much better re AG coating. I almost paid as much for this screen as the Dell which hurts.

I just recieved my U2711 from ebay. It is in a very good condition, has no scratches, no faulty pixels, no backlight bleeding, etc - a good deal for 478€.

Well, yes, I can see the AG coating and I don't like it. But it doesn't bother me while working, playing or watching movies, so, it's ok for me. A glossy screen (Hazro...) would be by far more annoying for me, that's for sure.

As for the input lag, playing UT04 on 150% gamespeed vs godlike bots doesn't seem to be a problem at all. It is a great screen for gaming. I still don't like the 16:9 aspect ratio, though.

One question: my screen has revision A01, the current is A07. What are the differences?

To those who removed the AG, is it just me that notices that the polarizer is not a 100% flat, at some viewing angles (in front of screen) and some parts of the screen i notice stripes that goes from top and a couple from bottom and up, looks almost like a hair lying on the screen, they do not go over the whole of the screen, just some centimeters up and down.

I've bought a Dell Ultrasharp 2711. It's a top of the line monitor that claims top notch image accuracy and color consistency.

I am HUGELY disapointed. I've tried three different units. I did a RMA for the first and second unit I got, since the image quality I was seeing couldn't possibly be right for this display. But all three of them had the same problems:

1. Angle Glow - if you look straight to the center of the display in a mostly black/darker screen the four corners will be considerably brighter/greyier than the rest of the image and as such lose detail and color accuracy. If you look straight to one corner the remaining ones will be brighter/greyish.

2. Dirt Layer - Due to its Anti Glare coating it has a far too noticeable hazy/sparkle effect in the image displayed. It looks like a permanent layer of dirt between my eyes and the image, it is distracting and leads to eye fatigue when reading text (which is required 90% of the time when working)

These two aspects completly ruin the image quality of the display. Dell claims "great color accuracy and superb color consistency". That simply is not the case, the angle glow completly throws off lighting and contrast consistency which in turn ruins the color perceived by the user. To add up, the "dirt layer" severely increases eye fatigue and throws color consistency out the window, just terrible.

This is simply Unacceptable, this is one of the worst displays I've ever used! For Dell to claim it has such high quality is just absurd. I've spent a considerable amount of money to get an alleged premium product but instead I get a substandard product with HORRIBLE performance!

PS: I see there are a lot of people with similar problems. As others did I'm contacting Dell to see what can be done, I'll update with news when they respond.

Poor Dell won't do a price match with Canada and calls a $899 a BF deal. Pass.

I recently purchased a U2711 and am having this issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdcR5j88Xys
Anyone facing this?
Just go to http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php#invpattern OR http://tft.vanity.dk/monitorTest_scale.html, select inversion or pixel mapping (in respective link), set your sharpness to 30 or below.
The real issue isn't that. My real issue is that the bottom screen is yellowish and top is pinkish (when the entire screen is white). Anyone have the same issue?
This is my 2nd RMA'ed unit, same issue with the previous one, still in progress to exchange, again.

3rd monitor came... Still having the pinkish top and yellowish bottom color... I guess this is some "specification met" panel by DELL... Disappointed.
I really want to applaud their customer service (at least here in Malaysia), they're doing a great job, the quality of the product however, disappoints me... :(

I'm a coder and work with an inverted color scheme, so the monitor is fine for that. I think the AG coating gets a bit too much hate. I like my U2711 but wish I had a U3011 just for the higher pixel pitch.
I ordered both monitors (U2711 & U3011) on Cyber Monday from Dell Canada at 699$ and 1049$. I prefer by far the U3011 because the text on screen is bigger and sharper. I returned the U2711 to Dell.

The U2711 was REV A08 November 2011
The U3011 is REV A05 October 2011

I ordered both monitors (U2711 & U3011) on Cyber Monday from Dell Canada at 699$ and 1049$. I prefer by far the U3011 because the text on screen is bigger and sharper. I returned the U2711 to Dell.

The U2711 was REV A08 November 2011
The U3011 is REV A05 October 2011

My u3011 (which I got today) is REV A05 NOV 2011.

New owner here, Just got mine last night! coming from a Westy LVM37-W1 from 2006. This monitor is beautiful, my dual 6870's are workin a little harder now....might need to upgrade them next

Picked it up for $620 here in Canada on a sale last week at Dell.ca, great deal on a beautiful monitor, I can see what people say about the AG coating but no way a deal breaker for me

Does anyone have an original factory DELL Monitor Stand from U2711 that they are no longer using and want to sell. I know many opted out for aftermarket mounts like Ergotron. If so can you please send me PM since I need to buy one now. ;)

Is the U2711 discontinued? Its not on Dell's web site anymore. In the USA I mean..

I just sold my like new Dell U2711 via Craigslist for $650, I couldn't stand the AG on it, it was looking through a foggy glass window. I bought two ASUS TN panels and honestly couldn't be happier. I also have an IPS HP LP2475W as well, I don't miss my Dell at all.

The Dell U2711's Display Port never worked correctly either - always an issue that plagued this monitor - this issue is well documented. Even after Revision 7, this was still an issue - go figure.

Are people seriously that crazy about the AG? Its really not a deal breaker, I was worried from all the hype on here, but after getting it and using it, its just that... hype, sure its noticeable...but the image fidelity and colors far outweigh the bit of sparkle you will see on white backgrounds...but to each their own I guess! You've got 30 days to testdrive it, got mine on a great deal and glad I went this way instead of 2 24" panels

Are people seriously that crazy about the AG? Its really not a deal breaker, I was worried from all the hype on here, but after getting it and using it, its just that... hype, sure its noticeable...but the image fidelity and colors far outweigh the bit of sparkle you will see on white backgrounds...but to each their own I guess! You've got 30 days to testdrive it, got mine on a great deal and glad I went this way instead of 2 24" panels

It's not as bad as many would state, though for gaming, I thought it paled in comparison to like my current monitor the ASUS VG236HE. The Dell is great for a lot of things, no doubt, that said, I did find the black levels lacking, the non-functional DP, overly applied AG and the lack of a Polarizer which presents an image glow was too much to sacrifice vice getting a cheaper display.

How is the U2711 for gaming like BF3? I currently have the U2410 and its perfect for BF3 but I want something a bit bigger. Just not sure about input lag etc...

How is the U2711 for gaming like BF3? I currently have the U2410 and its perfect for BF3 but I want something a bit bigger. Just not sure about input lag etc...

It's acutally not bad at all - I've never observed any ghosting with it - ever. Though I don't find it as good looking and vibrant as some of the more recent monitors to come out. Most of the games you'll probably play are ported Xbox 360 or PS3 titles, I just don't think you'll see much of a texture difference - if any at 2560x1440 vice 1920 x 1080, obvioulsy games that are more PC centric may be more noticeable.

I play BF3 on mine and its got great response with no discernable input lag...sure it can be measured, but in the real world application, great response and smooth image. There are faster screens out there, but for me I wanted to upgrade from 1080p. Just make sure you got the graphics horsepower to push all those pixels!

What kind of frames are you getting in BF3 with your GPU setup? What setting are you using for it?

I'm not exactly sure, need to bench and see. Competitive and get the drop on a lot of people...just reread the [H] image review and gonna try some new settings to bring my frames up a little more, namely turn off motion blur, use post AA and drop to ssao. The 6870's have the horsepower, just not quite enough vram for 2560x1440 with everything turned on

Well I have 2 560ti 2GB cards I would how well they would do in that res

I think you would be fine, I was playing tonight 2560x1440, post aa on high, af 16x, no motion blur, SSAO and all textures at ultra...it would hit when something crazy goes down but other than that smooooth play. I think your 2 560ti's would do better as you got 2gb per card, and thats the real problem, is running out of vram at this high res

And you are noticing no ghosting or lag while playing? I'm getting like 2K back in taxes and I was planning on getting the U2711. I also saw the Planar 26 inch IPS which is 1920x1200 which I was also thinking about.

I've made a post some months ago stating the problems and my disapointment with the DELL Ultrasharp 2711.
Since then I've had multiple contacts with DELL technical support and they sent me another unit that clearly underperforms.

After that I spent quite some time on the phone explaining that the display did not perform according to DELL's product description and that I wanted my money back or a display that would deliver.
I was told to call after 5 days. I did and basically DELL said the display performed fine.(!)

This was an hour ago and I'm still dumbfounded. This display does NOT perform to what DELL claims.
The coating RUINS the panel's color accuracy and uniformity while making the lighting uneven in the screen and the corners greyish and without detail.
I've explained this in my previous post and there are other customers with the same complains, I'm not making it up, the display does NOT perform.

I'm beyond disappointed with DELL and tired of wasting time on the phone, I just want this solved!

I'll try and talk with DELL Cares and see if they can help me solve this mess.

I've made a post some months ago stating the problems and my disapointment with the DELL Ultrasharp 2711.
Since then I've had multiple contacts with DELL technical support and they sent me another unit that clearly underperforms.

After that I spent quite some time on the phone explaining that the display did not perform according to DELL's product description and that I wanted my money back or a display that would deliver.
I was told to call after 5 days. I did and basically DELL said the display performed fine.(!)

This was an hour ago and I'm still dumbfounded. This display does NOT perform to what DELL claims.
The coating RUINS the panel's color accuracy and uniformity while making the lighting uneven in the screen and the corners greyish and without detail.
I've explained this in my previous post and there are other customers with the same complains, I'm not making it up, the display does NOT perform.

I'm beyond disappointed with DELL and tired of wasting time on the phone, I just want this solved!

I'll try and talk with DELL Cares and see if they can help me solve this mess.

the solution is.... sell your monitor and get another!

I have an issue with my U2711's DisplayPort. I had my display connected via DVI, works fine.
After connecting my DP cable (without turning off the computer) was working just fine, so I've disconnected DVI cable, still working ok.
But the next day when I wanted to turn my PC on, the PC alone started just fine but the display would not turn on, even after the OS started.
The message insinuated that there is no signal from video card, but I could hear form the speakers that Windows started.
If I connect DP cable when computer booted on DVI cable it works ok, but if I want to boot-up on DP... well, that's a no-go.
What the hell is going on? RMA it?
Or maybe it just doesn't like my HD5870 ?

Back