Dell U2410

haha what a load of shit this monitor is. how come its having soo many stupid issues?

is dell going to release a gen version of this monitor? as of now. most ips 24inch panel monitors are full of issues.

Got myself another dell u2410 after returning the first one. Everything seems fine (no tinting, no dead/stuck pixels). The only problem is that it seems to have an uneven backlight or something like that. A photo of this is shown below:

Has anyone had this problem before? Does anyone know what is causing this exactly?

yes that's cause by the CCFL lamps, they are not emitting the exact same light, you are right your screen doesn't seem to suffer from green to pink tinting. The ccfl uneven lighting may disappear with time as they start to wear out.

I will have to put mine through the tint test today when I get home. I still have to calibrate it as well to see how well it works with my 2 2209wa's for photo editing. I'm hoping I don't have to send it back.

All in all said...guys...GET A REPLACEMENT, if you are unsure if anything is wrong with your screen or not. That way you will have two to compare. I kept questioning myself if it was my eyes or the monitor...I am very glad the I did not sit and just accept this lemon of a 1st monitor.

Got mine during Days of Deals and I just spent over an hour trying to arrange for a replacement. Initially followed your advice of calling the Home Office number and they were not helpful at all and just put me through to India each time (I tried on 3 different occasions). Once there, all they can do is send out a refurb, even though I'm still in my 21 day return window! Ridiculous. How did you get them to send you a brand new one or was yours also tagged a refurb?

yes that's cause by the CCFL lamps, they are not emitting the exact same light, you are right your screen doesn't seem to suffer from green to pink tinting. The ccfl uneven lighting may disappear with time as they start to wear out.

Would appreciate someone taking a look at my u2410 capture. Is this suffering from uneven lighting or a tint issue -- or both?

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/6802/u2410.jpg

Thanks for any insights!

Last edited:
Looks a little similar to mine where there seem to be some darker areas, Ill let someone else with more know how confirm this though.

I'm going to buy one when I get home!

Think I should call dell and try to get it even lower?

Got mine during Days of Deals and I just spent over an hour trying to arrange for a replacement. Initially followed your advice of calling the Home Office number and they were not helpful at all and just put me through to India each time (I tried on 3 different occasions). Once there, all they can do is send out a refurb, even though I'm still in my 21 day return window! Ridiculous. How did you get them to send you a brand new one or was yours also tagged a refurb?

That is ridiculous, they should be giving you a new one. I didn't have to ask them specifically for a new one.

I told them "the usb does not seem to work properly, because it resets all usb devices connected when I power the monitor on. Also the right edge of my monitor is darker. I want to return(refund) it..." I did not mention any tint issues, but of course the right edge being darker was actually a tint issue.

They asked if I wanted to buy a different monitor (I laughed, because they tried selling me a non-ultrasharp with an "awesome webcam"), or they could send me a replacement. I asked if I would be charged shipping for the replacement, if the replacement would be refurb, and what happens if I'm still not pleased with the replacement. They said no shipping charges, the replacement would be new, and if I am still not happy then I can refund it at no cost to me.

It's really odd that they transfered you back to "Home" India, because when I called "Home Office" I selected customer service (I tried the "Home" customer service and it was also Indian accent'd and I did not want to speak with them) so I could refund. Then they transferred me to technical support (I'm pretty sure they didn't send me back to the "Home" Indian tech support, because I called the "Home" line 3 times and all 3 times was heavy India accent'd reps, but the tech support they forwarded me to had a Chinese accent) to see if they could sort out my problem first.

*turns out my replacement also resets the usb...but of course the replacement panel has way better colors and uniformity...

I understand how frustrating that India line is. They kept asking me for a fuc&ing service tag from my Dell tower. Even though I told them I only have a Dell monitor and there is no service tag on it.

Last edited:
Would appreciate someone taking a look at my u2410 capture. Is this suffering from uneven lighting or a tint issue -- or both?

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/6802/u2410.jpg

Thanks for any insights!

It looks like the top is darker(uneven lighting) to me, which my 2nd panel still has but on the bottom.

It's hard to tell which it is though, and even harder on a white screen. In normal use(browsing, desktop work, don't "test" it with movies or games because those constantly change colors and stuff so it's hard) do you notice it? If not it's probably just dimmer up top, if you do then it's probably a tint issue.

Because on my 2nd panel, the bottom looks a bit dimmer, but I cannot notice it in normal use.

How do you buy something from Dell Small Business?

They ask me what the name of my business is....

just bit on the deal (i have a DBA to use for business name)

my NEC 20wmgx can finally be retired

How do you buy something from Dell Small Business?

They ask me what the name of my business is....

Just use your real name

Name: John Doe
Company Name: John Doe

They don't care. Plenty of people running businesses under their own name.

Just use your real name

Name: John Doe
Company Name: John Doe

They don't care. Plenty of people running businesses under their own name.

But you might want to build/talk up your fake business, so just tack "Enterprises" at the end of your name. eg: John Doe Enterprises :)

Picked one up at Dell SB. $476 shipped after taxes. Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have any tinting/brightness issues.

Also, hi everyone! Long time lurker, new member.

So I'm kind of curious as to how color profiles work, as I've never had to deal with them before. If I choose the Adobe RGB profile on the monitor, do I also select the Adobe RGB profile in the Windows 7 Color Management control panel? Or do I not set a profile on Windows but leave the color processing entirely up to the monitor? Does it matter if I connect by VGA/YPrPb or DVI/HDMI/DP?

Damnit. I have a 2405 that I kinda want to replace.... do I bite on one of these or not?

Shit

You can run dual displays like I am :)

I'm tempted to scrap my old 24 for a 2nd u2410 though... bleh.

Edit: Doh, 10%coupon is now DEAD.
You can still get it for 499 + tax/ship/fee.

Last edited:
I finally got this baby. Rev A01 from Czech.

The sRGB mode looks pretty dull compared to AdobeRGB... after reading all the cons of using a wide gamut monitor, AdobeRGB actually seems to look pretty good.

Can anyone link me to a site/resource that I can test AdobeRGB vs. sRGB? I'd like to see the difference (and the pros of staying in sRGB mode)

The sRGB mode looks pretty dull compared to AdobeRGB... after reading all the cons of using a wide gamut monitor, AdobeRGB actually seems to look pretty good.

actually it is the AdodeRGB that is over saturated. It is true that colors seem to be more vibrant but if you check the skin tone it is way off

I finally got this baby. Rev A01 from Czech.

Can anyone link me to a site/resource that I can test AdobeRGB vs. sRGB? I'd like to see the difference (and the pros of staying in sRGB mode)

Here you go.

Gballerd Test
Northern Lights Article

So I got this monitor almost one week ago. I bought Spyder 3 Pro yesterday and calibrated to 6500K. Now my previously faint pink tint became more prominent since 6500K is much warmer than the displays default highly blueish look.

Now I can't help but notice the pink tint at the left side even if I'm not thinking about it. I was hoping real hard that I won't have to get another and return it. Dell sends already returned copies out as exchange. What should I do folks??

Mine doesn't have any backlight leak.
No bad pixels.
Paid $ 419 CAD

I was happy with it until calibrating it. But I'm very afraid to get into the exchanging gamble. So many people don't end up with a better one before the 21 days are over.

Frustration!

If you're willing to go through the trouble, I think you can wait until your exchange monitor arrives before shipping yours back. Then you can try them both out and send the lesser of the two back to them.

I think people need to understand that sRGB is the most "accurate" representation of colors, but unless you require such accuracy...You should just use whichever mode looks best to you. Many keep asking for sources on which mode is better...etc...

The better mode is the one you like and works best for you.
In fact AdobeRGB looks most like my uncalibrated 2005fpw. I personally don't require "accurate" colors of sRGB, but I feel that sRGB makes pictures look the most 'realistic' and is the reason I use it. I personally find oversaturated pictures very tiring to my eyes. While some may prefer the boosted "vibrant" look of the non-sRGB modes, which is what alot of monitors are set to at a factory default.

Can someone here tell me how Dell's exchange policy work? I just discovered a few dead pixels. From my understanding of things, Dell has a 21 day return policy, but when does the countdown start? I ordered the U2410 on March 10th, Dell shipped it on March 11th, and I received it on March 17th.

Can someone here tell me how Dell's exchange policy work? I just discovered a few dead pixels. From my understanding of things, Dell has a 21 day return policy, but when does the countdown start? I ordered the U2410 on March 10th, Dell shipped it on March 11th, and I received it on March 17th.

The date that it starts is the invoice date which I think is the day it ships. If you call them they will send out a new replacement within the first 21 days. If you are happy with the lcd other than the dead pixels I would go for the exchange. Also they send the monitor out and then you send the bad one in so you are not without a monitor.

i've tried search this thread for the answer but can any one tell me which buttons you press to get the test patterns/colors on the monitor

i've tried search this thread for the answer but can any one tell me which buttons you press to get the test patterns/colors on the monitor

Here you go.

Activating tests mode on the U2410..
Make the Touch Sensor (AKA Exit) button light up (You don't have to press it, just have it light up)
Now press and hold where the Menu and Preset Modes buttons are for 3 seconds..
You've now activated a U2410 test mode

Use Menu to cycle grey, red, green, blue, and white screens. Menu again exits.
It's kind of similar to the LCD conditioning mode you can enable from the menu, except with grey, and without any writing.

The second test mode allows you to access a more complete "Innolux" factory menu
Power off the screen, hold the Brightness/Contrast button and menu buttons, whilst doing so press power.
When the screen switches on wait for all the lights to come on, when it does this press the Preset Modes button..
You should now see the blue factory menu to the left of the screen..

Doesn't going into the factory menu VOID your warranty with Dell?

Technically yes but I don't think they can tell you went in there or won't check to see if you did. Now if you mess something up in there that is a different story.

Its a good idea to take pics before you change anything although I don't see why you would change anything in there anyway.

There could be a counter buried deep in the menu that counts the amount of times the menu has been entered .. its not exactly hard to program it in.

I guess if Dell refused to replace my monitor with tinting defects I wouldn't give a shit but .. you know just saying.

Back