Dell U2410

The AG coating is super agressive. I knew this going in but I really didnt think it would be this bad. It looks ok on dark screens but when you get to really light ones such as google the sparkle is terrible. It will take take some getting used it. It is worse than my IPS 2007wfp that I now use at work. Better than the crappy 19" dell tn lcds we have there.

How would you compare it to a 2007wfp? I really like mine, and I am looking forward keeping it. My 2007wfp will be a brother of the U2410..

How would you compare it to a 2007wfp? I really like mine, and I am looking forward keeping it. My 2007wfp will be a brother of the U2410..

The screen matte coating is slightly grainier than the 2007wfp. It just looks more exaggerated because of the extra size. I still don't know about the colors on this thing. In sRGB mode it looks to pink for me. There are alot of adjustments that can be made in custom mode.I need to do some adjusting. Hopefully I can get it look good.

Last edited:
I just picked up three direct from Dell.com. Incidentally, all three are revision A01 and do not have any dithering or tinting issues.

DSC00930.JPG

@Rix - sweet setup!

I'm starting to think I need three as well...:D

With the dithering fixed in A01, this monitor now represents one of the best 24" options out there, IMO. Especially at the sale prices sub $500.

The screen matte coating is slightly grainier than the 2007wfp. It just looks more exaggerated because of the extra size. I still don't know about the colors on this thing. In sRGB mode it looks to pink for me. There are alot of adjustments that can be made in custom mode.I need to do some adjusting. Hopefully I can get it look good.

I just ordered one. Which warehouse was it shipped from?

I ordered mine on Tues from Dell small business. I just received it this morning and it is indeed an A01. This monitor is flawless and I am so glad I waited. Thanks to everyone in this post for keeping us updated!

Why buy an A00? You can get an A01 if you order direct from Dell right now. I don't think you want to go through the headaches of having a questionable monitor and then having to swap it.

Yes, but I'm from Poland and here I must pay ~650$
In official dell website it's about 950-1000$ :)
And I could buy rev A00, if dell swap it without any problem - even it'll be all ok with my A00

Now that the u2410 is listed at $500, has anyone been able to talk them down to lower deals?

I am really hoping to get one for $450 shipped (I believe people got them for around $420 just a few months ago, but could be wrong about that).

Meh, sucks that I got the A00 right before they started sending out new A01 units. Oh well, I don't see any tinting or pixel problems with mine so I don't really feel like returning it or accepting a refurbished monitor. I doubt the tinting issues have been fixed though, that's a problem with the LG's panels they're using for this monitor right? So it should be just the dithering that was fixed with the A01 revision?

Meh, sucks that I got the A00 right before they started sending out new A01 units. Oh well, I don't see any tinting or pixel problems with mine so I don't really feel like returning it or accepting a refurbished monitor. I doubt the tinting issues have been fixed though, that's a problem with the LG's panels they're using for this monitor right? So it should be just the dithering that was fixed with the A01 revision?

check it out, i just called dell and now receiving my 4th replacement. My 3rd one was perfect (minus dithering) then out from nowhere, had some dead black pixels that appeared. I am forced to play this lottery once again :eek:
lets see if they send me A01 refurb
anyway the fixed icm profile can be found here
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19307543/19632563.aspx?PageIndex=10

Well, looks like there is a mix of A00 and A01 in the stock. Uh, boy, Dell lottery again.. I better get the A01 otherwise it will go back to Dell.

Will the shop, in which I bought my U2410, exchange it for rev01? I mean, or is exchange only possible if you bought it out of Dell directly?

Dell Canada just finished a sale on this lcd for $480 (reg $750). It ended yesterday. I was really tempted to pick up three... then I saw this thread. I only took a quick read (it's really long...) and it makes me wonder if Dell is trying to dump it's excess inventory of A00 ? Umm... don't buy now?

you might not have to trade in your A00 for a new firmware update.

quoted from Fudong on dell forums

"Good news.Dell China have released firmware A01 already. I called Dell in China for firmware update,and they send me a cd that new firmware,ISP tool and Manual in it.Chris M is wrong,you can update firmware by yourself"

i would still wait a little longer to confirm if this true as i would suspect he might confused this firmware with the fixed icm profile

could anyone with a dell account ask him? ive been locked for 24 hours

Good point. Frankly, I wouldn't do it, but a lot of people have been wanting it regardless of consequence.

Someone has posted a firmware update on this monitor. Guess it goes without saying, use at own risk:

http://cid-8c9c325b9dbea304.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/DELL?uc=3&nl=1&wa=wsignin1.0&sa=422124906

Well it removes the dithering! thanks for that.
The monitor still has the green and pink tint on it, as expected, this would only solve the dithering.

If someone needs the files and if they get removed I have a backup.
I don't understand what is the big problem to Dell if users do this firmware update at home.
oh boy...

Woot!

I've updated the firmware and the dithering is GONE! Sweeeet! Massive cheers to whoever uploaded the files.

I now have a beautiful tint-free monitor (was like that from Day 1) and there is absolutely no dithering in any modes! Both sRGB and Adobe RGB are dithering-free.

Gradients are excellent, as before, as is contrast. No banding at all. Gamma points remain as before as well.

So...I am now a (finally) content U2410 owner. No tint, no dithering...an excellent IPS panel with brilliant colors.

If onyl Dell had realized this would happen anyway and simply released the firmware with excellent instructions, it would save everyone hassle!

Woot!

I've updated the firmware and the dithering is GONE! Sweeeet! Massive cheers to whoever uploaded the files.

I now have a beautiful tint-free monitor (was like that from Day 1) and there is absolutely no dithering in any modes! Both sRGB and Adobe RGB are dithering-free.

Gradients are excellent, as before, as is contrast. No banding at all. Gamma points remain as before as well.

So...I am now a (finally) content U2410 owner. No tint, no dithering...an excellent IPS panel with brilliant colors.

If onyl Dell had realized this would happen anyway and simply released the firmware with excellent instructions, it would save everyone hassle!

how do you open the files

how do you open the files

How good is your technical expertise? If you can't figure out the instructions, you may not want to proceed with the flash? I'm not trying to be a jerk, just don't want you to mess up (brick) your monitor is you're not sure what you are doing.

You have to rename one file as well, it's an obvious rename.

I can give instructions, but I'm a bit reticent to do so if it means someone messus up their monitor?

awesome, i went ahead with upgrading the firmware and now the differing is fixed. i'm glad i don't have to worry about exchanging my monitor, the only thing that comes into question now is how dell will deal with the warranty if you manually flash your monitor..

Back