Dell U2410

Does firefox 3.5 automatically manage color profiles or is there a setting that you must set?
You must set it up.. First choose your mode
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gfx.color_management.mode

Note that the default 2 will only render tagged images as colour managed. 1 should assume untagged images are sRGB.

Now, in about:config, point gfx.color_management.display_profile to the correct profile.

If it looks wrong after this check here
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gfx.color_management.rendering_intent

...web work, and game from time to time. The only LCD I've ever used was the 2005FPW and that was an IPS, and absolutely love how great it looks to this day. Of the few people who've upgraded from the 2005FPW to the U2410, they've been blow away, and that's good to hear.

I get a little disheartened when I hear so many negative comments about this monitor, but then I realize that a lot of you are doing pro work...
This describes me to a T. Well, except that I'm using a 2007 WFP. AFAIK, it's pretty similar to the 2005 though. I did get a chance to watch a movie on the 2007 WFP tonight and the level of black detail drop definitely saddens me. I was trying to watch a 720p episode of smallville and I couldn't find superman! :D So for movie watching and game playing the 2410's a big upgrade!

For webbing and txt work, however, I simply cannot work on the 2410. It's painful to my eyes, the color's aren't right, viewing angles can't compare, and the txt clarity's just not there. So it's a wash IMO. Just something to consider. :D

Honestly, I think I'm getting to the point where it's time to start migrating off the pc for gaming and movie watching. I'm getting to old for drivers and crap. I want a couch for that stuff anyway. :D

Well, i went to 2490WUXi from U2410 due to that crazy sparkle effect. 2490 also has that effect but next to none when compare to U2410. Background is much clear now. Also backlight uniformity is almost perfect even without color comp.

No white glow and dithering issue since its already standard gamut monitor. But the good thing of U2410. colors @ sRGB mode almost close to 2490.

I have also noticed that. 2490 is more comfortable for eye. U2410 is giving me more eye strain even at same brightness levels.

I know i spent almost twice (got New 2490 for $880 after tax), but its really worth for that money.

Hey Everyone,

I’ve been reading these boards for years now but never found the need to post anything. Just picked up a U2410 for $499 + taxes from Dell.ca and wanted to chime in about my experiences.

Just a couple of quick notes before I get into this. I have used my trusty 17” NEC CRT for the past 9 years with the only problem being its low resolution (10x7). With a Trinitron tube in there, I’ve been reluctant to give it up in favor of an LCD.

Also anyone ever have a problem with Purolator dropping off a package if you live in an apartment building. I gave them my buzz when I ordered and it was on the label. Even if that fails, there is a tenant list at the entrance. But no, I sit around all day waiting for a package when I see its out for delivery and I confirm it will ariive that day with one of their agents. I check online later in the evening and see that I need to schedule a pickup time afterwards?? Somehow Canada Post can figure out the buzz code but they can’t…… Anyways I had to go down to the depot to get it.

Enough of that let me describe my experience for you guys with the U2410. I have my CRT hooked up as well so that I can see the changes between the two.

I don’t do color critical work but am very susceptible to ghosting/color changes/input lag/tinting etc. (hence why I never found a suitable replacement for my NEC monitor).

The model I received was manufactured Oct. 2009 and assembled in Mexico. Yes, the RGB mode does have the dithering, but I use custom mode.

Things I like:

• No dead pixels on the model I received.
  • Does not make any noise.
  • Lots of connectivity options. I only use DVI though, but everything you could ask for is there.
  • I love portrait mode, it makes editing documents easy, surfing sites and forums (using it as I write this), and if you read comics, it’s very useful for that too (you can fit a whole page on the screen). Only thing that sucks is that the screen does not automatically rotate the image, I need to rotate it in the nvidia control panel.
  • Card reader is a nice touch for someone like me who does not own a standalone unit.
  • Extra USB ports are always useful.
  • The touch buttons I find very cool. I don’t have a problem with them activating. Yes sometimes I have to hit it a second time, but it is by no means a defective button system. The button to activate the menu lights up if you put your finger near it. It’s a nice touch for when you are working in the dark. It turns right off if you don’t use it.
  • Menu is easy to use but I’m not sure how to access some of the options such as noise reduction, pixel clock, and phase: these are all greyed out. Can any U2410 owners chime in let me know how to access these? Also can someone clarify for me what DDC/CI and LCD conditioning in the menu do?
  • The power button is an actual button that you can press and its blue light is not distracting (it works well with the Saitek keyboard)
  • No visible banding.
  • Can’t see any significant light bleed but I think my bottom left corner might have some very small bleed, but it is hardly distracting, even in a movie.
  • Movies look good. I don’t have a Bluray player so I can’t comment on this, but looking at some rips and HD trailers, they do look great.
  • Only using 1:1 so I can’t say much about scaling.
  • Viewing angles are great. There is a slight gamma shift on the vertical at extreme angles, but by and large its nothing like a TN screen, very happy with this.

Things I don’t like:

• Had to turn off the button sound in the menu. I just found the beeping annoying, but it’s a quick fix
  • Mine does have a tint on white backgrounds. Noticed this right away when I opened Google. Left side is slightly cooler while the right side is slightly warmer. I may get used to this. It’s not a horrible tint, its noticeable, but just barely.
  • There may be slight input lag in games. On the desktop, the mouse is very fluid, but in games there is a VERY SLIGHT delay. If you are extremely sensitive to it, you will notice it, but by no means does it prevent you from enjoying your gaming experience.
  • There is slight ghosting in very high contrast situations, such as Team Fortress 2 with its limited high contrast color palette. But even then I really needed to look for it (something dark like power lines against a blue sky). By and large I can’t see it in any other game I tried. They look great overall. It really is nitpicking.

These are small issues in my opinion, but here’s the 800-pound gorilla:

• Colors do need some work. Out of the box the colors are off when compared to my CRT. I managed to get the colors relatively close using the saturation controls, but definitely one of the colors is wrong. On the Lagom site, the viewing angle test that shows a solid purple background, well that one comes out looking like violet instead. The other 3 are ok (kind off, but not really) but at least the hue is correct.
  • On its own though, once I mucked around in custom color mode, I did get it looking close enough to my CRT. When I flip back to the other modes, I can see how wrong the colors are. I don’t know how Dell does the calibration but that report is just marketing fluff.
  • Weird color artifacting in custom mode using hue controls. It almost looks like macro blocking in a video. After playing with the hue controls I was able to get the colors really close to my CRT, but then I noticed the artifacting. The shades were correct but it introduced weird artifacting into the image. Had to revert this and go back to the kind-of-ok saturation controlled colors. If anyone who owns the U2410 can explain how to avoid to artifacting, this would make the colors close enough for my needs.

I know that was long but I wanted to put as much information down about this as possible for those on the fence. The big one for me is the colors. They are not completely wrong but they are off a bit. If we can figure out the issues with the custom mode hue controls, I can get it working to my tastes.

If one does color critical work, then you will need a hardware calibrator. But that’s a given. In that case it would come down to the tinting since the application would be color managed with the profile. Are you able to live with the amount of tinting present?

Other than that, can I recommend this monitor? For people who aren’t too picky, you will like it after some tweaking. I’m not convinced yet if I want to keep it (still need a few more days with it), but it is very tempting. I have gotten it looking close to the CRT but not all the way. At the same time the increased resolution and positive aspects of this monitor outweigh the small issues I have with it. Color is the big one, the rest are more nitpicking than anything else.

Cheers

I've been using the monitor for about a week now.

My unit has a some uneven blacks, mainly noticeable while playing with 1600x1200 resolution in 1:1 mode, bottom-left corner is a bit brighter than the others.

Mine also has 1 stuck pixel and some green-pink tinting, i cannot say how bad it is since i've never experienced it before, it's noticeable but not annyoing. I will be exchanging monitor, maybe i'll wait for a bit before doing that so Dell could improve their quality control.

I took a (bad) picture of the monitor w/ white screen, could someone more experienced tell how bad the tint is?

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs744&d=09420&f=img_0497214.jpg

I've been using the monitor for about a week now.

My unit has a some uneven blacks, mainly noticeable while playing with 1600x1200 resolution in 1:1 mode, bottom-left corner is a bit brighter than the others.

Mine also has 1 stuck pixel and some green-pink tinting, i cannot say how bad it is since i've never experienced it before, it's noticeable but not annyoing. I will be exchanging monitor, maybe i'll wait for a bit before doing that so Dell could improve their quality control.

I took a (bad) picture of the monitor w/ white screen, could someone more experienced tell how bad the tint is?

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs744&d=09420&f=img_0497214.jpg

Uneven black, specially on left bottom corner is visible due to white glow of this H-IPS screen, thats nothing to do with Dell QC. I have exchanged it couple of times and still the same. However u can get rid of geen-pink tint and dead pixel by exchanging. Good luck!

Uneven black, specially on left bottom corner is visible due to white glow of this H-IPS screen
Not always. The easy way to tell is if it mostly disappears when you change angle. If it does then that's likely to be IPS panel glow. If it doesn't it's probably backlight bleed. All the U2410's I've seen have been very good, in terms minimal backlight bleed.

[*]Weird color artifacting in custom mode using hue controls. It almost looks like macro blocking in a video. After playing with the hue controls I was able to get the colors really close to my CRT, but then I noticed the artifacting. The shades were correct but it introduced weird artifacting into the image. Had to revert this and go back to the kind-of-ok saturation controlled colors. If anyone who owns the U2410 can explain how to avoid to artifacting, this would make the colors close enough for my needs.
The only way to avoid it, with the hue controls, is not to select values above 52 or below 48. As soon as you do you'll introduce dither type banding issues somewhere. That means you can only tweak these values slightly, and there's not really a way around it in this mode. You'd need to try the gain controls instead, and then offset for better matching of greys etc.

It would require Dell adding additional controls for fine tuning and more direct access to the LUT in this mode. If you're trying to manually match an RGB screen be sure to bump down the red and magenta saturation too, and probably the green a bit as well. If you can't get something you're happy with then your best bet would probably be to get a hardware calibration device and calibrate it in Standard mode.

I largely agree with everything you wrote btw. I've went through 5 screens and I can safely say that the included calibration report is indeed a completely worthless marketing gimmick. It really doesn't tell you a whole lot about how accurate the screens colours really are, and whether it suffers tint issues or not.

II took a (bad) picture of the monitor w/ white screen, could someone more experienced tell how bad the tint is?
That looks like a mild to moderate case to me, but it's difficult to tell just from looking at a picture of your screen.. The real measure is how much does it bother you? If the answer is not very much then it's probably a mild case :)

A Special note to people in the USA who have a U2410 with noticeable tint issues..

Dell are currently trying to "capture" as many monitors which have the problem as possible, so that they can "build a case" with the panel manufacturer, and I see a few have already complained about having the issue in this thread. So, if you are in the US (or even if you're not) and have the tint issue, please post into this thread on the Dell support forum. http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19297120.aspx

The more people who complain about this directly to Dell (rather than posting here about it), the more likely something will be done. Although, it has to be said, I think the only real "fix", short of LG somehow solving this problem during the manufacturing of the panel, would be for Dell to introduce controls which can alter different regions of the screen independently, much like how ColorComp works on some NEC monitors etc..

My monitor is still in shipment... so just a few more questions.

1) Does "Standard" mode offer the same level of user colour calibration through the OSD as "Custom" mode? If not, is that the only difference between Standard mode and Custom mode.

2) Has anyone here used the TFT Central icc colour profile that they've provided from download? Impressions?

My monitor is still in shipment... so just a few more questions.

1) Does "Standard" mode offer the same level of user colour calibration through the OSD as "Custom" mode? If not, is that the only difference between Standard mode and Custom mode.

2) Has anyone here used the TFT Central icc colour profile that they've provided from download? Impressions?

2. I tried the profiles from TFT central but found them way off and unusable for me :confused:

The only way to avoid it, with the hue controls, is not to select values above 52 or below 48. As soon as you do you'll introduce dither type banding issues somewhere. That means you can only tweak these values slightly, and there's not really a way around it in this mode. You'd need to try the gain controls instead, and then offset for better matching of greys etc.

It would require Dell adding additional controls for fine tuning and more direct access to the LUT in this mode. If you're trying to manually match an RGB screen be sure to bump down the red and magenta saturation too, and probably the green a bit as well. If you can't get something you're happy with then your best bet would probably be to get a hardware calibration device and calibrate it in Standard mode.

I largely agree with everything you wrote btw. I've went through 5 screens and I can safely say that the included calibration report is indeed a completely worthless marketing gimmick. It really doesn't tell you a whole lot about how accurate the screens colours really are, and whether it suffers tint issues or not.

I definately noticed the limitation outside the 48-52 range. Its too bad because using the other controls I got it close enough, but the hue controls would have solved this for me if the didn't introduce the dithering.

I think I may just keep it, after playing around with it a little more, I am starting to forget the quirks this screen has. Gaming has been good and did a little photoshop work today. The extra real estate definately lets me edit more things at once.

Yes it does. I have mine connected via that cable :)
Thanks

Well, I just ordered 3 of these bad boys despite some scary reviews. Quite frankly these should be the best monitors currently on the market for FPS gaming with eyefinity. IPS Panel and very low lag in game mode are what sold me. I'm ok if colors are not photograph perfect. Crossing my fingers that I get a good batch.

With a 30 day return policy (no re-stocking, I asked) I can always go back to my Dell 3007wfp if I don't like them.

Dell has an amazing return/exchange policy, I hope to repurchase Dell u2410 a few months from now after the dead pixels/tint issues are cleared up right now there are just too many people ordering these at once so they are probably just rushing them out of mfg'ing.

, I hope to repurchase Dell u2410 a few months from now after the dead pixels/tint issues are cleared up

Don't hold your breath. Dell has nothing to do with it and these problems have been common on LGs IPS panels for years, with pretty much no sign of things changing.

This applies from ~$200 Dell 2209wa up to ~$2000 NEC 3090s.

I got my U2410 a few days ago...thought i would share....

I actually purchased the monitor brand new from an EBAY company for $515 USD, stating that they did not accept returns as it was a brand new item with a 3 year warranty. I emailed the company and they said that they don't accept returns because it is cheaper for everyone to just go through DELL for an exchange....so i tried that but i unfortunately need an order number, etc to start an RMA. I emailed the EBAY company so i am hoping to get some sort of help from them in the exchange.

Anyways...

I have a green STUCK pixel about 8" from the left and about 4" down. I have tried all the software flashy pixel "unstickers" and have had no luck. i also tried to massage it out via the tapping method and physically putting pressure on the screen...still nothing. Has anyone had any luck reviving their stuck pixels?

I am also suffering from the green/pink tint issue, however, i only really notice it on a medium grey background. I am also experiencing the dithering on dark spots under sRGB and AdobeRGB.

Other than these common flaws its a great monitor...touch buttons were a little tricky at first, you need to put the whole pad of your finger on the button, just the tip wont really activate them in some cases.

The monitor was manufactured in August form Mexico. I just hope I can get an order number or some help form the EBAY company to initiate and exchange...I COULD live with the green/pink tint, but that stuck pixel is killin me!

-Jim

I have never gotten a stuck pixel to come unstuck. Never. And I have tried all the methods. I don't know anyone that has ever done it either. I think doing it is a urban myth...

EBAY company? You mean store/seller on ebay? Check the box for any numbers you can quote to Dell. Call Dell instead.

I got my U2410 a few days ago...thought i would share....

I actually purchased the monitor brand new from an EBAY company for $515 USD, stating that they did not accept returns as it was a brand new item with a 3 year warranty. I emailed the company and they said that they don't accept returns because it is cheaper for everyone to just go through DELL for an exchange....so i tried that but i unfortunately need an order number, etc to start an RMA. I emailed the EBAY company so i am hoping to get some sort of help from them in the exchange.

Anyways...

I have a green STUCK pixel about 8" from the left and about 4" down. I have tried all the software flashy pixel "unstickers" and have had no luck. i also tried to massage it out via the tapping method and physically putting pressure on the screen...still nothing. Has anyone had any luck reviving their stuck pixels?

I am also suffering from the green/pink tint issue, however, i only really notice it on a medium grey background. I am also experiencing the dithering on dark spots under sRGB and AdobeRGB.

Other than these common flaws its a great monitor...touch buttons were a little tricky at first, you need to put the whole pad of your finger on the button, just the tip wont really activate them in some cases.

The monitor was manufactured in August form Mexico. I just hope I can get an order number or some help form the EBAY company to initiate and exchange...I COULD live with the green/pink tint, but that stuck pixel is killin me!

-Jim

EBAY company? You mean store/seller on ebay?

Haha, well yeah, you know what I meant. Yeah, i definitely have all the numbers I would need. Serial numbers, PPID number, model number, etc. Calling them was going to be my next step.

Thanks!
Jim

I have never gotten a stuck pixel to come unstuck. Never. And I have tried all the methods. I don't know anyone that has ever done it either. I think doing it is a urban myth...

I was able to do it once before, but it was on a shitty TN monitor. Maybe the DELL being an IPS panel its not possible. I'm actually starting to get used to the pixel, but obviously if I can return it, I will.

-Jim

Any available coupons on the U2410?
Just call and see what they'll do for you. I was able to get mine down to $499, overnight shipping and 30 day return with no restocking fee. I know another guy who got them down to $475.. but this was with buying multiple monitors.

I tried that. Called about 5 different sales people. Not one of them would give me a lower price. I finally ended up begging for a coupon code from another forum and got one. 20% off plus another 5% for Dell preferred account and free shipping.

Anyone bought a refurb? Wondering if its worth it..

I was chatting with Dell rep, but they failed to offer any kind of deal.. Kinda pissed now..

man, you know...i never thought about haggling with retailers....never thought it would fly (not that the latest reports here are encouraging by any means)...

it's not like you'd go to the store, pick out your groceries, and then argue with the checkout girl that you would actually like a discount on your total purchase...

it's not like you'd go to the store, pick out your groceries, and then argue with the checkout girl that you would actually like a discount on your total purchase...

peopleofwalmart.com

I've witnessed certain elements tell the checkout lady that food items were "Three fo' a dolla" when they were ringing up at 1.69 apiece. The checkout lady changed the price.

man, you know...i never thought about haggling with retailers....never thought it would fly (not that the latest reports here are encouraging by any means)...

Well that's different story, normally when you purchase electronics/computers you can ask for a discount , after all sales people do earn commission

Dell here has agreed to exchange a brand new U2410 via their factory in China instead of sending me another returned/reconditioned unit. This will be the 3rd unit they send me.

They said asking for a refund will require approval and will likely to take a month to do so.

So fingers crossed when I receive the replacement.

Dell here has agreed to exchange a brand new U2410 via their factory in China instead of sending me another returned/reconditioned unit. This will be the 3rd unit they send me.

They said asking for a refund will require approval and will likely to take a month to do so.

So fingers crossed when I receive the replacement.

I just got off the phone with them requesting my FIRST replacement due to a stuck pixel...we will see what happens.

Ordered mine over the weekend, got it today. Initial summary: after several hours of use, it's beautiful.

- No stuck pixels.
- If there's tinting, it's exceedingly subtle. Haven't noticed anything obvious so far.
- Connecting to Mac and PS3 both via DVI.
- Mac I have on Standard for the moment, though I played with the other modes briefly.
- For the PS3 input: gaming mode, sharpness 60 for starters, needed to change "Wide mode" from "Fill" to "Aspect".
- Games colors are bright and vibrant. Action is crisp. Response seems very fast.
- There is some brightness falloff when viewed off-angle, but it's not what I would consider dramatic.
- Default brightness of 50 is pretty bright, but I'm in a well-lighted room, and it seems fine.
- Would have preferred hard input buttons instead of navigating the menu, but meh. I don't switch that often.
- Blacks are very black indeed in my particular viewing context. I expect to see a bit less contrast tonight, when the sun goes down.

I'm pretty pleased so far!

I just calibrated the u2410 using the Spyder3 Elite on Custom Mode with RGB sliders. I'm getting deltaE .3 which I think is not possible. I think it is a defect on my Spyder3 Elite because the fox in the firefox logo looks really red orange.

I just calibrated the u2410 using the Spyder3 Elite on Custom Mode with RGB sliders. I'm getting deltaE .3 which I think is not possible.
You must keep in mind that you are performing a simple profile validation that checks monitor RGB values with the accordant transformation of the display profile. This test tells you especially when it is time for a recalibration/ -profiling. Beyond that the significance is very limited. DeltaE values must be low - otherwise the display profile does not represent the colorimetric characteristics of the screen.

Without using the sRGB mode (I don't know how well it is implemented) you won't get a correct represenation of sRGB content in unmanaged applications. The calibration assures only some important parameters.

Best regards

Denis

A couple of weeks ago I posted a question about the green-to-pink tint on my newly received U2410. Following the suggestion of several in this forum, I exchanged the monitor for a new one. The new (second) monitor is much more uniform across the screen. I think may be a (relatively speaking) a little pinker in the upper right, a little greener in the lower left. But you really have to look close/know what you're looking for. I'm happy with the uniformity.

When I first set up the new/second monitor I had it side-by-side with the old/first U2410, and I noticed that the new/second U2410, while uniform across the screen, has an overall green cast when compared to the first. This is with everything restored to the factory defaults on both monitors. I purchased an eye one calibrator and adjusted the color on the new/second monitor. That removes the green cast and it looks good to my eye. I can see that the eye one created a profile that modifies the video card's LUT rather significantly in both the green and, to a lesser extent, the blue channel. My question: is there any downside to this? Is there anything I'm giving up by modifying the color through the graphic card's LUT? For example (and I'm just making this up) that I might have less contrast in mid tones, or some such thing? I'm kind of a newbie to color management, so any advice that can tell me whether or not I'm setting myself up for trouble later, would be appreciated.

Back