Dell U2410

What does a A-TW polarizer do?

It does three obvious things:

1) Removes the "graininess" or sparkle associated with LG panels typical anti-glare

2) Reduces the off-angle white glow on blacks/darks. It does produce a slight red tint on one side and green tint on the other, but it is minor and far less than the white glow which looks like a slight "shimmering mirror" effect

3) Seems to improve the quality of whites. None of my other monitors no matter how accurately calibrated can get as "tint free" white as my LCD2690 (with the A-TW polarizer). The only one that is close is my 5 year old Dell 2005FPW, strangely enough.

It's LG that has discontinued the manufacturing of A-TW polarized panels though, not the monitor makers. Too bad.

Every monitor is indivdiually calibrated. Dell probably didn't do a good enough job on his. Mine is perfect, with no deltaE readings over 2. ;) Guess i have been lucky, since Dell promises no less than an average of less than 5 deltaE.

Yes, you have to go into menu.

That's typical Dell. The 2408WFP, 2709W, and all their latest multi-input screens are like that in regards to menu and input switching.

Thanks a lot for the info Frameless. This looks like the screen Dell should have put out two years ago with wide gamut and a usable sRGB preset. I noticed DigitalVersus' reported factory colors were also quite good, with DE94 under 3. It seemingly looks like they used Lacie Blue Eye Pro in sRGB mode which is encouraging as well.

Thanx for the info. My 2001FP doesn't seem to have a glow, but does it have this type of polarizer? 8 year old monitor?

Thanx for the info. My 2001FP doesn't seem to have a glow, but does it have this type of polarizer? 8 year old monitor?

Since it should be an S-IPS (Super IPS) panel, you will have a slightly less noticeable violet or purple mirror-like glow on blacks when viewed from certain angles. My older Dell 2005FPW is the same. The white glow is characteristic of H-IPS (horizontal IPS) and eIPS ("efficient" IPS)

10e said:
1) Removes the "graininess" or sparkle associated with LG panels typical anti-glare
That has nothing to do with the A-TW polarizer. The first generation 24" and 25.5" H-IPS panels always had the non-grainy coating, regardless of the A-TW polarizer. Newer panels seem to have gone back to the grainy coating.

The HP DreamColor LP2480zx has both the A-TW polarizer and the grainy coating, while the original Planar PX2611W had neither. Also, I saw both versions of the DoubleSight DS-263N, with and without the A-TW polarizer, and both had the non-grainy coating.

10e said:
3) Seems to improve the quality of whites. None of my other monitors no matter how accurately calibrated can get as "tint free" white as my LCD2690 (with the A-TW polarizer). The only one that is close is my 5 year old Dell 2005FPW, strangely enough.
The 25.5" H-IPS panel used in the NEC LCD2690WUXi and the Planar PX2611W gave me the most trouble with whites, which had a tendency to be yellowish green. I don't think the A-TW polarizer really improves anything there. The NEC can achieve better results with ColorComp + better calibration through the internal LUT.

10e said:
Since it should be an S-IPS (Super IPS) panel, you will have a slightly less noticeable violet or purple mirror-like glow on blacks when viewed from certain angles. My older Dell 2005FPW is the same. The white glow is characteristic of H-IPS (horizontal IPS) and eIPS ("efficient" IPS)
The white glow started with later AS-IPS panels. Older S-IPS panels had an orange glow at slight angles and purple at extreme angles, which I found it just as bad as the white glow. I don't know why the color changed. Maybe different filters are being used now.

Does anyone here own both 2408wfp and U2410??
I want to know after calibration, how does these two 24" monitor stack up against one another..
My 2408wfp w/o calibration looks absoutely aweful..don't know how much i2 display 2 can do to help..
By comparsion..my 2209wa and 2005fpw looks great even w/o calibration..

That has nothing to do with the A-TW polarizer. The first generation 24" and 25.5" H-IPS panels always had the non-grainy coating, regardless of the A-TW polarizer. Newer panels seem to have gone back to the grainy coating.

Strange. My Dell 2005FPW had it pretty strongly, as did an older Apple 23" Cinema Display here at work. I guess it varies more with what LG puts out at that particular time. Actually the ACD 23" was the worst I've ever seen.

My Dell 2209WA is actually a bit worse than my older 2005FPW.

The HP DreamColor LP2480zx has both the A-TW polarizer and the grainy coating, while the original Planar PX2611W had neither. Also, I saw both versions of the DoubleSight DS-263N, with and without the A-TW polarizer, and both had the non-grainy coating.
Can't comment on the DS 25.5" panels, because up here in Canada all I found was crickets when trying to get 'em. Surprising that LG had panels with less of this without the A-TW polarizer. Have you seen the LP2475W and how does it compare?

The 25.5" H-IPS panel used in the NEC LCD2690WUXi and the Planar PX2611W gave me the most trouble with whites, which had a tendency to be yellowish green. I don't think the A-TW polarizer really improves anything there. The NEC can achieve better results with ColorComp + better calibration through the internal LUT.

The white glow started with later AS-IPS panels. Older S-IPS panels had an orange glow at slight angles and purple at extreme angles, which I found it just as bad as the white glow. I don't know why the color changed. Maybe different filters are being used now.
I would say that my LCD2690WUXI-BK has this problem with the sRGB preset, even with the newer versions of SVII which are supposed to do some calibration of sRGB preset, but out of the box before I received my SVII kit, the native and programmable modes had very good whites that are less yellow/green than my 2709W and 2209WA even after calibration. It might be more due to firmware/hardware revision, as I believe I received a later one than what you had, as I got it in April 2008. Or it may also have to do with how it was calibrated from the factory.

I do remember you mentioned that your LCD2490WUXI had one of the best whites of any display you've used up until that point, so I guess it can vary from panel model to panel model with LG. Or maybe it's just placebo effect from the marketing hype of the "A-TW" in the polarizer which can mean either Advanced true wide or true white depending on who you ask. ;)

I also found the purple glow of my 2005FPW was less pronounced than the white glow of the eIPS panel in my Dell 2209WA, but that could be attributed to the difference in physical size and how far I sit from each.

LG still hasn't gotten this "graininess" issue right. The S-PVA panel in my 2709W is one of the least grainy coatings I've ever used. That and the AUO A-MVA based BenQ FP241VW I had rank as tops to me outside of glossy displays in this attribute, and I've yet to see an *IPS display outside of my LCD2690 that is even close.

Hi All

Thanks sleepdragon for asking the question I would like answering as well...

Which 24" Monitor do you buy?
Dell U2410
Dell 2408wfp
HP LP2475W

Uses would be for general gaming more or less.

Anyone please?

Thanks

That's the $64,000. question. But the choice is between the U2410 and the HP.

If you want to get crazy, work some overtime, and not go to 'Panera Bread' 3 times a week, then get the Planar 'PX2611W'....the ultimate quality 26" monitor that can still 'game' at good speed...
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A1146310

I may dip into my 'Ollie North/Iran-Contra Fund' money for this...imagine playing COD-Waw game on that monitor!!

I had a chat with one of Dell rep and asked for releasing date of U2410, he said
"No they have mentioned late September but that is not locked down"

See that's what I'm talking about. I don't think these reps have any idea. The one I talked to a while ago said sept 8th.

Yeah it seems its out everywhere but here in the STATES!!!! Come on dell...

The U2410 is unreleased, untested, and unpriced (for the US), so any comparison or decision at this point would just be a guess. It sounds very promising, but we will have to wait and see. There is also the NEC 23" IPS that's already being priced < $400 on several sites, and is 1080p instead of 1920x1200, but that's untested as well - it could be another option.

Well at the very least they are both ips. So far I can't think of an ips lcd monitor that was never worth using.

Just an FYI...

Over at Engadget (or however you spell that), site, news of LG about to come out w/ several 'gaming' monitors...

I'm totally excited about more 16:9 TN panels. :rolleyes:

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

:eek:

The U2410 is unreleased, untested, and unpriced (for the US), so any comparison or decision at this point would just be a guess. It sounds very promising, but we will have to wait and see. There is also the NEC 23" IPS that's already being priced < $400 on several sites, and is 1080p instead of 1920x1200, but that's untested as well - it could be another option.

Why would you prefer x1080 over x1200?

can anyone confirm that the U2410 does not have the grainy anti-glare coating like the 2007WFP has?

can anyone confirm that the U2410 does not have the grainy anti-glare coating like the 2007WFP has?

Was looking for a similar comment:

Does this monitor have the same bad grainy coating as the HP lp2475w ?

Yes, the monitor has a grainy/ sparkling coating. At first i thought this was posterization/ banding looking at pictures, but i found out while playing that it actually was the coating that produced the grainy effect. It's not a problem really, because you only notice it while looking close at the screen.

Yes, the monitor has a grainy/ sparkling coating. At first i thought this was posterization/ banding looking at pictures, but i found out while playing that it actually was the coating that produced the grainy effect. It's not a problem really, because you only notice it while looking close at the screen.

Thanx so much for comment ;)
Now does anyone know if the Philips 240PW9ES suffers from the same coating ?

Last edited:
It has the same panel as the HP LP2475W (a slightly older version than the panel in the U2410), so yes.

Thanx so much for comment ;)
Now does anyone know if the Philips 240PW9ES suffers from the same coating ?

Yes it does, and from what has been posted on another site, there are also fairly large differences in quality where the red/green tinge is concerned just like the LP2475W.

Before I go over this whole thread is this basically a Dell 2209WA except 24"? Price? ETA on when it hits the States?

Its close to a 2209WA except it uses a H-IPS panel. And it will be I bet arounf 600+ and who knows when it will be out here in the usa...

Alright, so I guess it's not too far fetched to say that it's way under 1 frame of lag using game mode and using sRGB emulation the input lag is on par with the HP. Looks like a keeper. If only Dell would announce something... anything.

Alright, so I guess it's not too far fetched to say that it's way under 1 frame of lag using game mode and using sRGB emulation the input lag is on par with the HP

Where have you folks found these specs? And, if that's accurate, then this could be an IPS that will be fine for 'FPS' gaming?

Dont know if this review from cnet was posted, but here it is.

Kicking in game mode has a noticeable effect, reducing input lag considerably from the sRGB mode. The side effect though is oversaturated, wide-gamut colours, with greens and reds once again ramping up.
Conclusion

Our only negative point on the screen is that once again Dell has inset the panel itself, so the image partly reflects on the bezel. You soon get used to it though, and with this screen sitting on your desk the vast array of positives soon outweigh the single negative. The only way to get better quality than the Dell UltraSharp U2410 is to spend a lot more money — if you need 24-inch, are on a budget but still need great quality images, we can wholeheartedly recommend this screen.

http://www.cnet.com.au/dell-ultrasharp-u2410-339298064.htm

You have to love these Dell Reps. I called again just to find out a bit more on a realese date here for the USA. Well this guy said "Dell is looking at a November time frame" you have to love Dell :) I bet they are trying to sell every 2408 they have in stock until they release the Y2410

Before I go over this whole thread is this basically a Dell 2209WA except 24"? Price? ETA on when it hits the States?

To some extent. It's a wide gamut 24" but with a usable sRGB mode. It has multiple inputs and is a good all-in-one (by the looks of it) for PC and console. One HDMI, 2xDVI, one VGA, one component input.

It also has aspect ratio scaling that is better, not just 4:3 and full screen mode like the 2209WA. Looks like it's worth it.

Where have you folks found these specs? And, if that's accurate, then this could be an IPS that will be fine for 'FPS' gaming?

Many stats are here. They are not 100% accurate, but a good start:

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6

Cnet Australia also gave it a good review:

http://www.cnet.com.au/dell-ultrasharp-u2410-339298064.htm

This is definitely an attractive screen.

Yes it will be fine for FPS. Since max lag is just over 1 frame and average lag is less than 1 frame, it would meet my requirements for a fps gaming display. The only down side is that in order to keep lag at the lowest level, you would need to be in wide gamut mode. Not such a bad compromise. I will definitely purchase this display to replace my 22" CRT.

Looking at the uniformity test at digitalversus, i can see that they also have white glow coming from all the sides when looking straight at the screen. Maybe this is a trait of every Dell U2410 monitor?

88_559_115.jpg

So when you look straight at the screen, you will have glow like this;
picture016nz.jpg

But as soon as you move your head down a little, the glow gets more pronounced in the upper parts;
picture014an.jpg

About the different presets, i can definetely see the extra saturation in every other preset than sRGB. To be honest, every other preset than sRGB look like crap. Colors and hue look very wrong. sRGB preset looks perfect, i love it.

My own testing showed 0.5frames (~8ms) of lag in game mode, and 1.5 frames (~23ms) in sRGB mode, so it seems to be on par with what others are getting. You can notice the lag a little in sRGB, but it is far from annoying. Iv'e owned the NEC 2690wuxi and 2490wuxi, and they both had annoying lag.

Looking at the uniformity test at digitalversus, i can see that they also have white glow coming from all the sides when looking straight at the screen. Maybe this is a trait of every Dell U2410 monitor?

88_559_115.jpg

wow, thats pretty impressive, the maximum error is less than 10%. Better than LED G2410 screen (15%).

88_559_115.jpg

So when you look straight at the screen, you will have glow like this;

But as soon as you move your head down a little, the glow gets more pronounced in the upper parts;

About the different presets, i can definetely see the extra saturation in every other preset than sRGB. To be honest, every other preset than sRGB look like crap. Colors and hue look very wrong. sRGB preset looks perfect, i love it.

My own testing showed 0.5frames (~8ms) of lag in game mode, and 1.5 frames (~23ms) in sRGB mode, so it seems to be on par with what others are getting. You can notice the lag a little in sRGB, but it is far from annoying. Iv'e owned the NEC 2690wuxi and 2490wuxi, and they both had annoying lag.

The photo with the uniformity does not usually take into account any viewing angle issues like glow or color/brightness/gamma shift, because if it did, it would be completely wrong and inconsistent. This is the backlight uniformity of the screen, which seems fine to me.

Anyways, the white "mirror glow" is not a big issue, because at least everything outside of black looks perfect wherever you are viewing it from.

Thanks for that Frameless. The sRGB mode is the single most important part of this screen. If other wide gamut screens had usable sRGB modes with decently tracked colors, most of us wide gamut whiners wouldn't have an issue with them.

Back