Dell U2410

Australian tech editors are useless, including this craig simms. All the names happen to write articles for every big online and magazine publication in Australia, making the industry uniformly worthless.

cnet reviews as usual are utterly useless.

They don't even have any pictures of their monitor on..

haha, the best is when they do their video reviews and the entire time they talk about the products exterior and what it looks like and do not even mention the performance.

Looks like the monitor got backlight uniformity problem as 2408wfp and little bit backlight bleeding according to the Chinese article.

Screen uniformity issues are unfortunately quite common on IPS screens.

I tried reading the rest in google translation, so it isn't entirely clear but it looks like when they tried to calibrate sRGB mode for proper white balance they ended up with contrast around 200. :(

I can read Chinese, and that is not what the review said. The review says that in sRGB preset mode, white level is 183cd/m2, black level is 0.2cd/m2, so contrast ratio is 597:1. (Yes, I know the math seems funny, and the numbers do not match what the figure shows, but I am just translating -- don't shoot me.)

From the LUT screen shot, calibration has literally no effect on the colors because all curves are almost straight lines between (0,0) and (255,255), which suggests that the monitor has been factory-calibrated.

Note that, in the final page, the reviewer talked about the surprising low native color temperature @ 3900K in sRGB preset. His guess? The i1 Display2 is not completely compatible with the U2410, because the color temperature does not look that low to his eyes. So before we find out what is going on, it is best to take these measurements with a grain of salt.

The PlayStation 3 looked great, and film fans will be happy to know the screen supports 1920x1080 @ 24Hz through the PS3's HDMI connection. For gaming, Half-Life 2: Episode 2 looked gorgeous, with no perceptible input lag, although we must warn that we're not particularly susceptible to that phenomenon. Viewing angles are quite good as is to be expected with IPS-based screens
Thanks for being useless, CNet. Taking 3-4 paragraphs talking about the exterior and the monitor inputs that one can just tell by pictures or spec sheets and having one sentence about its overall performance. Badly, mind you. :rolleyes:

Layman's question: since 183 nit is much too bright, what happens to calibration and colour temperature when you lower the brightness manually to make it comfortable?
I have always read that you should not change brightness after calibration because the gamma curves (which affects overall gamma, white balance, and color temperature) changes as you adjust brightness.

That said, from my own experience with other monitors, those changes tend to be quite small (if they do exist), which is what I expect for monitors that use PWM for brightness control. I would not worry about it too much.

Anyone with an NEC 90-series wants to chime in?

I have always read that you should not change brightness after calibration because the gamma curves (which affects overall gamma, white balance, and color temperature) changes as you adjust brightness.

That said, from my own experience with other monitors, those changes tend to be quite small (if they do exist), which is what I expect for monitors that use PWM for brightness control. I would not worry about it too much.

Anyone with an NEC 90-series wants to chime in?

Gamma curves are not changed by changing the brightness (backlight) That just raise the whole curve up or down, but does not alter it's shape. I also don't notice any change in color temperature at different brightness levels. I think this concern is overblown. As such I alway calibrate my NEC at with manual brightness control instead of to a set number and I after that I adjust brightness to conditions which change throughout the day.

Only people working in light controlled environments with strict panel setup characteristics need to worry about touching the back light control changing calibration.

I can read Chinese, and that is not what the review said. The review says that in sRGB preset mode, white level is 183cd/m2, black level is 0.2cd/m2, so contrast ratio is 597:1. (Yes, I know the math seems funny, and the numbers do not match what the figure shows, but I am just translating -- don't shoot me.)

Ok, can you explain what is going on with page 15, that is the one I was talking about where they seem be trying to correct the white balance and have contrast around 200.

http://article.pchome.net/content-947180-15.html

Hmm.. I was reading page 13, and I did not pay much attention to page 15. Your reading about the contents of page 15 is correct, and I apologize for misunderstanding your previous comment. I can only offer two observations.

First, his colorimeter, for some reason, seems to misread the color temperature by 2500K. Trying to compensate a 2500K difference in color temperature is bound to screw up everything. Second, he did not follow the normal calibration procedure. Instead of leaving the OSD controls as they are and use the LUT for correction, he tweaks the OSD controls until he stumbles on a setting where the LUT is a straight line. There may well be another setting where he could get 180cd/m2 brightness at "6500K", but he just somehow did not find it.

I bet this is a reviewer (or instrument) screw up.

Last edited:
760$ for a 24 inch? no thanks

Psh, I paid almost $800 for my 2405FPW using a triple coupon stacking exploit four years ago. $760 for a piece of hardware that is going to last you until it actually dies (unlike virtually ever other computer component which is obsolete in months to a few years) is worth it, in my opinion.

CNET with updated review and input lag test

Min: 21
Average: 31
Max: 34

Acceptable for me, allthough i was hoping for lower input lag. Im glad there isn't a big difference between the lowest and highest input lag, as i think that adds more to the "lag feeling" than a stable medium input lag.

Last edited:
While those of us in the US continue to wait for U2410, those in Australia are having the opposite "problem" of 2408WFP no longer being available (due to depleted stock, according to posts on whirlpool). Makes you wonder if Dell is cramming the remaining 2408WFP stock down the US market by delaying the release of U2410...

I am glad that I already decided not to wait for any of the new IPS monitors.

EA231wmi: supposedly shipping this month, but still OOS everywhere
U2410: not yet available in the US
W2x20P: still unknown whether LG will introduce them in the US

PS. It turns out that my guess was not too far off. Link

Last edited:
I posted a message in Dell's forums about the U2410 and when it would be available in the U.S Chris over at their forums, I think he's the Dell rep, said that Dell is trying to clear out 2408WFP first before they start selling here. So it may be a while before we get any U2410's here :-(

Ops I didn't even see that :) That stinks though now we'll probably have to wait months before we get the U2410

Well it's now available in the UK!

Here

Coming at £573.85

I really want two of these but i might have to do some waiting for a price drop. Conversion prices from other places were going around £400. Damn our bloody taxes. Seriously..

So the 900 AUS is roughly 454 GBP
The current discounted HK price is under half of what this is selling for, un-discounted it comes to 535.
I hate the economy.

Last edited:
I doubt it will be "months" before we see this. Dell is simply waiting for all the back-to-school suckers to buy their old crap, just like Apple, before bringing out the new stuff next month.

That's how it always goes.

I'd sell my kidney so that I can free up some capital to buy another 2408wfp @ $200 a pop too.

O yea, back to school crowd would typically not go for a premium display, AKA Ultrasharps. Realistically speaking, Dell would not cut that deep into their profit to get rid of the 2408wfp which was never meant to be pushed onto the 'paid for by mom and dad' market.

But seriously, U2410 is only starting to become available and I think that availability in Taiwan even isn't forthcoming yet. It'll be a while before this display becomes available in substantial quantity...

I really wonder how much it will be in the U.S It seems to go from $500 in HK all the way to $900 in other parts. If its under $650 I'll bite if its over I'll get the HP..

I posted a message in Dell's forums about the U2410 and when it would be available in the U.S Chris over at their forums, I think he's the Dell rep, said that Dell is trying to clear out 2408WFP first before they start selling here. So it may be a while before we get any U2410's here :-(

Its a little hard to clear out inventory when your monitor is (1) known to have issues and (2) a new one is coming out that will probably not have those issues.

Couldn't wait for the Dell I got the Doublesight DS-265W IPS 26 inch for $500 shipped....not a bad price

Don't moan, you know very well that the DS would cost $1500 in these parts of the world :p

Its a little hard to clear out inventory when your monitor is (1) known to have issues and (2) a new one is coming out that will probably not have those issues.
Which is probably why Dell has been discounting the 2408wfp so much. Lower price = more sales.

just orderd mine for Dell Uk business, was £424 + Tax, as i claim tax back anyway £424 !, oh and sold my 22"" samsung for 74, so cost me £350. Should be here by friday i hope, shame i threw away my last CRT 3 months ago so i cant test input lag.
I had decided to buy a cheap screen after weighing up the options, but i visited my brother who has a 2408, and well the difference seemed compared to a TN then.

I do want a couple of side screens for different app's. currently use one 19" square display, kinda tempted to bit the bullet and get 2 2209WA's though new versions are coming out , and i guess for one of them id like a 22" 1900*1200.

Any suggestions for a reasonable 22" 1900*1200 will be mounted on a movable desk arm so im not against a TN panel or even slowish refresh rate as it will be mainly for visio/excel/email etc

callius, I think you should start a separate thread for your "monitor suggestion wanted" question. Let's keep this one focused on the U2410.

And please do write up your thoughts when you receive your U2410!

after i posted i did consider that, and well yes perhaps maybe could be i made a tiny mistake :confused: yes 1920*1200, but aye seperate thread. Ill post my comments when i receive it, guess my old 8800GT might need an upgrade with the resolution hike.

U2410 Input lag
SRGB Mode: MIN 21ms. AVG 31ms. MAX 34ms
Game Mode: MIN 0ms. AVG 14ms. MAX 29ms

Cnet redid the figures, seems its pretty much the same as the 2209WA, hope mine comes soon !

http://www.cnet.com.au/dell-ultrasharp-u2410-339298064.htm#comment-1

Dell UltraSharp U2410 (sRGB) min 21 max 34 Average 31
Dell UltraSharp U2410 (Game) min 0 max 29 Average 14
Dell UltraSharp 2209WA (Standard) min 0 max 32 Average 20
Dell UltraSharp 2209WA (Game) min 0 max 35 Average 13
Dell UltraSharp 3008WFP (sRGB) min 21 max 48 Average 33
Dell UltraSharp 3008WFP (Game) min 3 max 40 Average 24

Back