Dell U2410

This forum needs a sticky on wide vs. standard gamut to prevent every new monitor thread from becoming the same. With pics! ;) (I like having the wide gamut option when I need it, especially for photos. But who knows what Dell thinks their target market is with this thing. Also Win7 isn't color managed yet? Wow.)

I have the Apple 24" but in my current setup I need matte rather than pure glass, might pass it on to the GF. Bought the HP and had the hot red subpixel issue (October 2008 build). I blame LG more than anyone else; I think their QC sucks. This sentence has far too many two letter acronyms.

I'm glad Dell is committing to DisplayPort but is it too much to ask to throw a mini-DP in there too? Are they really going to use full size DP instead of mini on their laptops? Not like 1% of their customer base knows what it is, I guess.

I'm glad Dell is committing to DisplayPort but is it too much to ask to throw a mini-DP in there too? Are they really going to use full size DP instead of mini on their laptops? Not like 1% of their customer base knows what it is, I guess.

I think mini-DP will be an Apple only trend, much like mini DVI. I think regular DP is small enough as it is so I seriously doubt non-Apple manufacturers will use the mini standard.

mini dp is pointless. Just get a cable to convert like this.

This is just like the people whining about HDMI inputs. DVI is the same thing. You just need a simple pin to pin adapter or cable.

This forum needs a sticky on wide vs. standard gamut to prevent every new monitor thread from becoming the same. With pics! ;) (I like having the wide gamut option when I need it, especially for photos. But who knows what Dell thinks their target market is with this thing. Also Win7 isn't color managed yet? Wow.)

I have the Apple 24" but in my current setup I need matte rather than pure glass, might pass it on to the GF. Bought the HP and had the hot red subpixel issue (October 2008 build). I blame LG more than anyone else; I think their QC sucks. This sentence has far too many two letter acronyms.

Amen, brother! :)

A monitor FAQ.

Or check this link, however it does not explain the wide gamut problem very well.

mini dp is pointless. Just get a cable to convert like this.

This is just like the people whining about HDMI inputs. DVI is the same thing. You just need a simple pin to pin adapter or cable.

I already have that cable. And regular DP is big - bigger than HDMI. I quite like miniDP. Of course there are various annoying smaller flavors of HDMI too.

EDIT: I found a pic (HDMI left, DP center). They are actually pretty close.
hdmi_vs._displayport_2.jpg

miniDP has no locking metal tabs (unlike regular DP), the connector itself is deep enough to hold it securely.

Last edited:
has dell listed IPS in the specs for its previous ips monitors? Wasn't it always a lottery type thing. i know 2209WA says e-ips in specs, im talking before that.

I don't know if they did or not but typically everything under the ultrasharp branding is non-TN and dell hasn't used PVA at all since 2008, as far as i know.

I don't know if they did or not but typically everything under the ultrasharp branding is non-TN and dell hasn't used PVA at all since 2008, as far as i know.

I do know even if Samsung still makes PVA panels, but Dell has used up to present Samsung S-PVA panels in its UltraSharp 2408WFP and UltraSharp 2709W. Both could be replaced with LGD IPS panels, as besides the now confirmed U2410, there is also a U2710, details unknown.

Tim

Tim, do you know if any monitor manufacturers are going to be coming out with 24" IPS panel monitors soon that also have LED backlights as well? I am really surprised it hasn't happened yet for the under $1k price range, with the exception of Apple.

-Chris

Tim, do you know if any monitor manufacturers are going to be coming out with 24" IPS panel monitors soon that also have LED backlights as well? I am really surprised it hasn't happened yet for the under $1k price range, with the exception of Apple.

-Chris
I believe that a lot of manufacturers are "waiting it out", past this holiday season, to the next CES show in January, volume and economy may not just be there (yet).

Tim

Apples' 24" ACD is LED and an IPS.

I have it and don't notice the difference vs. a P-MVA panel and my two older 6bit PVAs. However it is considerably brighter.

Guys, think we should all start to massively unload our 2408wfp A00-A02... you know, casually within these months, so that we can gorge ourselves at this IPS monitor?

By the way, HKEPC is indicating that this bad boy's sporting H-IPS LM240WU4.

Guys, think we should all start to massively unload our 2408wfp A00-A02... you know, casually within these months, so that we can gorge ourselves at this IPS monitor?

By the way, HKEPC is indicating that this bad boy's sporting H-IPS LM240WU4.

The U2410 has had that panel since last April, when it was registered with the German TUV for the EU.

Certificate No. 50153811
Certificate Type: GS-Mark
Product type:
Display Unit (LCD Monitor)
Model designation:
LM240WU4

http://www.tuvdotcom.com/pi/web/Pro...lId=3&certpageindex=&sLand=&sLang=&searchbox=

Tim

Dell UltraSharp U2410 manual (US website):
Dell UltraSharp U2410

Well, the manual states that it has sRGB more, NTSC 72% color emulation. We'll see how good it is. So far there is probaply only one monitor that got it somewhat working IIRC? It has built in saturation control too so maybe that emulation mode might really do something to those oversaturated neon colors.

Also, the game mode seem interesting. "Mode suitable for gaming applications. Use this mode for minimal input lag.". Probaply something similar to NECs through mode which disables all possible postprocessing feature to minimise input lag (and it worked too).

That's an awesome looking monitor. Would be awesome for taking to school, component inputs for hooking up video game consoles is such a big plus.

If the Dell has a 12-bit LUT, maybe it will have a good sRGB emulation...?

Unfortunately, you would need either a 3D LUT or a dynamic gamut conversion in the monitor to have a true sRGB emulation. A simple LUT, whatever the bit depth, cannot do that.

Last edited:
That's an awesome looking monitor. Would be awesome for taking to school, component inputs for hooking up video game consoles is such a big plus.

I wouldn't risk such a nice display at school. Something around 300 dollars (say, a used 2407wfp) I think would be the absolute limit, and even that's a bit too much of a liability for my taste.

Btw, U2410 does have component, as well as displayport, HDMI, 2 DVI, 1 VGA...

Maybe this time they finally have a decent sRGB mode. Somebody has to figure it out, right? Each successive model seems to push wider and shift the primaries farther -- eventually it will be get so ridiculous that great emulation will be a requirement. I don't mind 95% gamut monitors much in daily use, but the 110% are just too much.

Perhaps one day lcd monitors and operating systems will support the full human color gamut, and it will be peace from there! ;) (Actually, it's impossible to cover the human gamut using three primaries, but you can get pretty dang close.)

Would like to know what revision of Displayport it has. That is key on the bandwidth issue.

Would like to know what revision of Displayport it has. That is key on the bandwidth issue.

It would be nice if the U2410 also had "flashable" firmware to avoid the BS of 2408 and the different revisions.

Tim

So is this that 2410WA on the wikipedia "Dell Monitors" page?

And is the 2607WFP the U2710 [ IIRC? ]

Available in the UK now, from Dell Business. £579 inc Vat and shipping expected delivery date 23rd of August.

Compared to the US its expensive but best price for the 2408wfp is arround 530 ish, so seems reasonable.
Ordering one tomorrow :)

HP 2475 is down to £400, kinda hard to justify another £200 for the dell, i could purchase a 2474 and a 2209WA for the same price as the U2410.

Need some reviews !

Available in the UK now, from Dell Business. £579 inc Vat and shipping expected delivery date 23rd of August.

Compared to the US its expensive but best price for the 2408wfp is arround 530 ish, so seems reasonable.

You got a link for that? Just been through Dell's UK site and can't see it anywhere...

Could u please post the web link of the monitor on UK Dell?

I find it funny that Dell is a US company yet they always release their new products last here. And we always seem to have the shortest supply of new items. And from what I've been reading it looks like the price will be something like $500-600 ouch :-( I could pick up 3 24 TN monitors for that price. And yes yes I know TN suck blah blah blah....

I find it funny that Dell is a US company yet they always release their new products last here. And we always seem to have the shortest supply of new items. And from what I've been reading it looks like the price will be something like $500-600 ouch :-( I could pick up 3 24 TN monitors for that price. And yes yes I know TN suck blah blah blah....

Yes, they do suck.

Case in point: Dell S2409W - 1920x1080, TN, shitty backlighting, shitty stand, shitty generally throughout.

You get what you pay for. ;)

I've had alot of TN panels and now I have the Dell 2209WA. And the only thing that the dell has over the TN panels I had is the view angles. But if I view the monitor head on like 99.9% of people do :) I notice no difference in say my old LG 22 and the Dell. Pretty much identical. Blacks or the say, backlight is the same colors everything looks the same just the view angles. And to me to pay $300-400 more just so I can say "Well when I stand up and look at my monitor with my head down or from side to side the angles look much better" is paying way way to much IMO. I'd rather spend $200 on a 24 inch monitor and be pleased with it then spend $600-700 saying "My view angles are better than yours" I was actually going to get the U2410 until I found out how much it was going to be. I'd spend no more than say $400 on it, but $500-600 no way.

I've had alot of TN panels and now I have the Dell 2209WA. And the only thing that the dell has over the TN panels I had is the view angles. But if I view the monitor head on like 99.9% of people do :) I notice no difference in say my old LG 22 and the Dell. Pretty much identical. Blacks or the say, backlight is the same colors everything looks the same just the view angles. And to me to pay $300-400 more just so I can say "Well when I stand up and look at my monitor with my head down or from side to side the angles look much better" is paying way way to much IMO. I'd rather spend $200 on a 24 inch monitor and be pleased with it then spend $600-700 saying "My view angles are better than yours" I was actually going to get the U2410 until I found out how much it was going to be. I'd spend no more than say $400 on it, but $500-600 no way.

Believe me, if the difference between TN vs. IPS/PVA wasn't that distinct, a lot of us wouldn't be making such a big deal about it. But there is a difference, just give yourself a little time. ;)

While I do agree there are some quality TN panels out there (that do cost a bit of change), there are far more cheap 16:9 TN panels out that that most people don't care about because they don't know any better or are not willing to pay the extra.

I spoke to sales person directly to get the quote.

...and?

Back