Dell U2410

I would suggest you to use the sRGB mode for softwares which don't support proper CMS (and you are not absolutely sure about that you need wider gamut, like the AdobeRGB).
The only properly CMS supported browser is firefox 3.0.x, ~ video renderer is MadVR (with external yCMS 3DLUTs), and may be the half of the photo browsers but none of the PC games.
But always keep yourself away from the Multimedia and Custom modes. They are simply bad, like most of the Video modes. The Game is the only one which is worse than these. (Or the xvMode with RGB input, but that one looks fine with YcbCr, and Game mode reduces the input lag, so they has the right to live, while the other mentioned bastards should be virtually hidden from your OSD. - And don't have placebo feelings about the Game mode. It offers very bad IQ. It doesn't worth it until you are a hard core online action FSP gamer...)

The sRGB and AdobeRGB modes should have acceptable factory settings (because they are factory calibrated), and Standard mode should be used when you need wide gamut. But Standard mode should always be calibrated because it has strange factory settings. (You can fine tune the white temperature in the factory menu at your own risk. -> after a backup picture.)
If you don't have an own instrument than make sure you use the ICC file from the driver CD for the Standard mode. But don't use of for any other preset modes! (Otherwise, it won't hurt until you use ICC based CMS supported softwares.)

You can easily test it. Take a look at the CIE chart background illustration image in the HCFR software (or any other color palettes like this) and you will see what I am talking about. But I also took a lot of measures (with a spectrophotometer) to find the best solution. So, you can believe me. Chose one of these: sRGB, AdobeRGB, Standard (in this order, and based on your actual needs) and ignore anything else. (And use the xvMode with external DVD/BD players when you can send out YCbCr formats.)

I've had this monitor for about a year now, august 2009 manufacturing date.

Rev A00 ofcourse.

Mine had one defective pixel and some pink/green tinting, which to be honest haven't been bothering me much. When I received the monitor a year ago I decided to wait on replacing the monitor so I could get a newer revision.

Now I see that A02 has come out. Has there been any updates worth mentioning to the monitor? Is there still the stupid-sparkly coating on the screen? Has the tint issue been fixed?

Would it be worth replacing the monitor now? If I do, will the new monitor still have the sRGB mode? I don't own calibrator, so i'm stuck with the sRGB.

I think:
- The only difference is the firmware.
- You will get a refurbished hardware (like an upgraded A00 which was sent back for whatever reason earlier.)
- I think they changed something after the first release but this is not revision related. (New ones may have slightly lower contrast ratio. It is only a rumor, but my experiences confirmed it. -> May be it can be solved with the factory menu settings or it can be a panel issue or accidents, I don't know)

The sRGB mode is much better with the A01 firmware. I couldn't notice any improvements with the A02 firmware but I think there won't be A04 (any time soon or ever), so you should call them now and enjoy the "dithering problem free" firmware. (You already have some tinting problems and bad pixels, so you have nothing to lose. And you can refuse to accept the replacement... :D)

Last edited:
Hi there,

I have a problem with ARC (Aspect Ratio Control) and my Dell U2410 (the fw version is Rev. A01 "M1F19"). The problem is that before entering Windows (for example in the BIOS) ARC doesn't work with my new graphics card (Gigabyte Geforce GTX 460) since it shows at full screen and very ugly. Previously I had a Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X and it worked great. Why does it work with ATI and not with Nvidia ?
Of course the Wide Mode option in the OSD is set to 1:1 and it's connected through DVI.
Any help?

Thanks

Last edited:
NVIDIA cards use the native resolution reported by your monitor to display text mode, while ATI cards use a resolution like 1280x1024.

so there's no point in having a monitor with ARC feature if you have a Nvidia graphics card, it just won't work, right?

Hey, does anyone know if the REV A02 fixed the tint issues on the monitor? and is it true that the REV A02 just a refurbed model of the bad REV A00s?

Hey, does anyone know if the REV A02 fixed the tint issues on the monitor? and is it true that the REV A02 just a refurbed model of the bad REV A00s?

They way Dell has been lately, they can not afford sending refurb's as new. Now it could have been in storage and they flash it and re-box it. Look at the manufacture date on the slide out tag. If it was made after July it will be a A02.

However The pink green tint that people complain about is most likely a panel prob and not a revision problem. but A02 fixes the dithering problem for sure this time. well that's what some are saying. I got the monitor since it was on sale and the input options are amazing. As well as IPS is awesome when surfing hi res pics and its 16:10. Yes its over priced and it is gadgetry. but In the end I'm happy because I knew i was buying a overpriced monitor.

I have two U2410 and am quite pleased with them. The first was purchased in February (I think), was built in Jan 2010 and came with A01 firmware. I never had any issues, dithering or tinting. At least none that I could visually detect. I decided a week ago to buy another U2410. I don't notice any issues with this monitor either, other than some small bleeding which doesn't bother me all that much. This monitor was assembled in mid 2009, but the firmware version is M1F193, which would make it version A03?
I would like the two monitors to be uniform and am planning on flashing the old monitor to firmware version A03. Is this a good idea? Also, where can I find the third firmware version, as well as the instructions on how to flash it.
Also, where can I find a good icc profile?

anyone know if there's a new updated model coming out anytime soon? Similar to how the 2405>2407>2408 was updated. Doesn't Dell usually do a refresh once a year on their monitors?

So I've had these monitors for some time now set up in a triple monitor setup. and 2 out of the three monitors are pretty damn close, But the third monitor is off from the other two quite a bit. and for the life of me I cant get it to match the other two. as of now I have the two set to a standard preset. The third monitor in order to get it close I had to set it to sRGB. and the whites are closer now, but the colors are still off a little. any of you display Gurus help point me in the direction I should go in order to get it set right.or at least closer . Ive tried going into custom color and mess around. but I really couldn't get anywhere. especially not knowing what the hell I'm doing when changing Gain, Offset, Hue, or Saturation. When I set the third monitor to standard like the other two. The colors are closer. but the whites are off (has a slight blue tint to it) were as the other two have a slight pink tint. the other big noticeable difference is the gray's

So I've had these monitors for some time now set up in a triple monitor setup. and 2 out of the three monitors are pretty damn close, But the third monitor is off from the other two quite a bit. and for the life of me I cant get it to match the other two. as of now I have the two set to a standard preset. The third monitor in order to get it close I had to set it to sRGB. and the whites are closer now, but the colors are still off a little. any of you display Gurus help point me in the direction I should go in order to get it set right.or at least closer . Ive tried going into custom color and mess around. but I really couldn't get anywhere. especially not knowing what the hell I'm doing when changing Gain, Offset, Hue, or Saturation. When I set the third monitor to standard like the other two. The colors are closer. but the whites are off (has a slight blue tint to it) were as the other two have a slight pink tint. the other big noticeable difference is the gray's

Use the service menu to change the RGB values for every preset, on mine it was too green for my tastes. You should be using the srgb preset on all 3 anyway.

I'm in the middle of a dilemma atm - Tossing up between going two of these U2410's in a side-by-side monitor setup or a single U2711.

I think two U2711's would just be tooooooooo much..

Exactly, how we can get to service menu? o_O
What you guys think, if i replace my dell in service, is there a chance to get now Rev. 02, or better wait couple weeks until DELL repair every single unit. I don't want to sent them my screen every week... ;-]

BTW:
so there's no point in having a monitor with ARC feature if you have a Nvidia graphics card, it just won't work, right?
I have GF 8800GS and have ARC. When my PC starts or I install OS, i work in small screen 800x600 i think. The screen is Fill up when I install graphic card drivers.

Just ran into a nasty bug - err feature - on the u2410: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/p/19327558/19713935.aspx

YPbPr requires a sharpness of 0 and RGB 50 or it looks something awful and I can't set the sharpness per input like every other option in the OSD. So much for hooking up multiple systems to one display. With the whole its a feature and not a bug attitude from Dell I won't be buying another product from them.

I didn't have anyone try to answer my earlier questions, so I'll try again.

I have two U2410. The first came with A01 firmware. A week ago I purchased another U2410 and the firmware version is M1F193, which would make it version A03? Is this correct? I thought that there were only two updates
I would like the two monitors to be uniform and am planning on flashing the old monitor to firmware version A03. Is this a good idea? Also, where can I find the third firmware version, as well as the instructions on how to flash it.

I didn't have anyone try to answer my earlier questions, so I'll try again.
I have two U2410. The first came with A01 firmware. A week ago I purchased another U2410 and the firmware version is M1F193, which would make it version A03? Is this correct?
No. Dell started at Firmware version A00. So the 3rd version is actually A02. I don't think Dell have said what the changes between A01 and A02 are. But, since the differences aren't hugely apparent to anyone, that means they're probably quite small, and not fixing any obvious issues like the A00 to A01 firmware did.

I would like the two monitors to be uniform and am planning on flashing the old monitor to firmware version A03. Is this a good idea?
Unfortunately firmware versions have little to do with how well 2 panels match up. That's more to do with how the panel turned out at the factory.. Some U2410's have "duller" lighting than others even from brand new with exactly the same settings. Things like how many hours of usage a backlight has also changes things (the greater the difference in usage, the more likely it is that they won't match). If trying to match 2 different screens that's where a hardware calibration device comes in handy, although you can also use your eyes to try to match up the settings on both. If you don't have a device my advice would be to pick the screen you prefer, then go into full test mode on the other screen and tweak the RGB values to match the other screen in sRGB/Adobe mode (make a note of any settings before changing them, just in case).

Also, where can I find the third firmware version, as well as the instructions on how to flash it.
Instructions are on this thread if you search it, but the A02 firmware has not been made available by Dell. Supposedly Dell China "accidently" sent out the A01 firmware to some customers as they thought they were allowed to do that. Turns out they were wrong. Sucks that Dell doesn't allow updating the screen since the process is very simple.

You can't. Stick to what comes with the drivers or generate your own profile with hardware. Using other peoples profiles will probably just make the screen look worse, and it's all the more unnecessary on the U2410 since it already comes with a factory calibrated sRGB and Adobe mode. Dell use their own utility which can manipulate the LUT data. Unfortunately they haven't given a way for 3rd party calibration utilities to do the same, which means (even if you do calibrate yourself) you might well just be better off using what it comes with anyway, depending on your requirements :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. A little bit of leg work is not an issue at all. I'm glad that there is no need to update the firmware, since I don't see any problems with the first monitor.

Updated my U2410 to A02, but the firmware update utility still shows it as M1f19. Isn't that supposed to change too?

Not that this even remotely matters, but I had an A00 when I purchased my monitor in December last year. I don't think it had any of the issues others were complaining of, but it eventually started flickering on me. The back light and power would stay on, but the display would just disappear and reappear over and over. It'd do that for a minute or two and then stop, and I'd be good to go. Eventually it got to the point it wouldn't stop doing that, and then just stopped displaying anything all together. Thankfully you get a 3 year warranty with these monitors, and Dell shipped me a replacement that was a brand new A02 manufactured in July 2010. Although I had that issue with the first one, I really enjoy this monitor.

Had a question for everyone here with the u2410.

Just bought it a few days ago, and when I received it, it had an annoying buzzing sound whenever brightness was set under 75. I was wondering if this was a problem that only a certain percentage of the monitors had, or if this was a problem of all the u2410s, so I know if I should try to just exchange it with Dell, or if it was a hopeless cause.

I know I can get around the buzzing by setting it above 75 brightness and trying to balance it out with the other settings, but I've not had much luck.

Thanks.

Does anyone have any idea what changes have been made in A02?

An A00 annoyance is no sleep mode if the input source is HDMI. The panel remains on with the "No HDMI Cable" screensaver floating from corner to corner. However, sleep mode works fine when the input source is VGA or DVI.

Would like to know if Dell fixed HDMI sleep mode in A01 or A02. Can anyone confirm?

Had a question for everyone here with the u2410.

Just bought it a few days ago, and when I received it, it had an annoying buzzing sound whenever brightness was set under 75. I was wondering if this was a problem that only a certain percentage of the monitors had, or if this was a problem of all the u2410s, so I know if I should try to just exchange it with Dell, or if it was a hopeless cause.
It's a problem only a percentage of U2410's should have - Some have a more noisy power supply to the back light than others.

One important caveat to that is some peoples ears (particularly those below 20 years of age etc) are a lot more sensitive to this stuff than others. So, if it's a barely audible sort of mega-high pitched noise, it might be present on more screens than I realize ;) If it's your standard sort of "electrical" buzzing noise then most U2410's definitely DON'T have that.

I know I can get around the buzzing by setting it above 75 brightness and trying to balance it out with the other settings, but I've not had much luck.
Don't put up with it by trying to compensate elsewhere, because running the back light so bright makes it more likely your screen will burn out sooner than it otherwise would. If it annoys you enough definitely swap it. Just keep in mind the usual risks apply when you request a panel exchange, like dead pixels or poor colour uniformity (tint problems) etc, so I'd only recommend it if something's really annoying you.

Ran into a issue with the display resuming from sleep. Locked up with the orange LED no longer pulsating the power button would no longer function. Had to pull the cord to get it going again.

Stupid questions guys, but are there any issues with the U2410 running off HDMI?

I'm planning to get a Radeon 5450 in the coming days and it only have a DVI, HDMI, and VGA ports. I currently have two U2410s and both are currently running off DVI connections, but with the 5450, I won't have a choice as 1 will have to be powered by HDMI or use VGA, which I don't want to.

Hi,

Can anyone who have rev. A02 to access service menu and take a picture so I can compare the calibration values ?

Also there I see that is written Innolux service menu, and Innolux seems to be a division of Chimei. :)

Thanks

Stupid questions guys, but are there any issues with the U2410 running off HDMI?

I'm planning to get a Radeon 5450 in the coming days and it only have a DVI, HDMI, and VGA ports. I currently have two U2410s and both are currently running off DVI connections, but with the 5450, I won't have a choice as 1 will have to be powered by HDMI or use VGA, which I don't want to.

None that I can tell , it does the proper scaling and looks great.

I have a issue with usb hub in dell. When i plug in my patriot xporter, i must wait 10 times longer for initialization, compare to normal USB in motherboard. Why is that? Something is wrong, for sure, becouse one week ago it works normal. During copying files see on progress bar some kind of pause to 5-10 seconds, roughly every 10-20 seconds. Card reader and some other stuff like tablet bamboo working okey. Is there something i can do, or just pack it up and send to RMA?

Just received my U2410 today, October 2010 build date with A02. One stuck bright pixel in the top left corner, which I could probably live with, except for very bad pink tinting on the right half. Called Dell and they're shipping out a replacement.

Back