Dell U2410 - Quick Question

FMX

Gawd
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
574
I just got my new build/monitor set up and I am noticing one issue with the screen already. I don't know if it is inherent to the qualities of a matte screen, but things look a little blurry/filmy. It's almost like a small layer of water is covering the whole screen.

By comparison, my iMac looks crystal clear. The Dell just seems to have some sort of fuzzy thing on top of the panel.

Is this normal?
 
Yup, it's normal.

Your Imac uses a low grain anti-glare while the U2410 does not, so it looks a bit dirty and sparkly in comparison.
 
Not sure I like this...

Would calibrating reduce the effect? I just have it on 'Game' mode right now and toned the brightness down a bit.
 
No, it's the screen coating and can't be "calibrated out".

The IMacs use LG panels as well, but I'm assuming that Apple defined which coating they wanted, and it's less grainy/sparkly on their 24" panels that I've seen versus something like a U2410.

Many people don't like it, BTW.
 
The "fuzziness" is caused by the anti-glare coating, which can be removed (easily peeled off) after soaking the panel with wet paper towels overnight. Google for more on the how-to or PM me if you can't find it.

I have done it many times for clients that hate AG coating. It is a love/hate relationship, really. Some love matte screen, some love shining/reflective screen with higher perceived contrast.
 
I would not feel comfortable removing the coating or even getting someone else to remove it.

What alternative is there to this monitor? It has proved to be excellent in games but I can't stand it outside of BF3. I love the viewing angles and the accuracy of this monitor but I can't take this coating at all. Wish I had read someone not liking it before buying..
 
Back
Top