Dell U2311H

Ok in that case I might have to do so. If everyone has glow like this I can not understand how people can accept that. I see it in movies, using dark backgrounds, in games, etc. It's very disturbing.

Ok in that case I might have to do so. If everyone has glow like this I can not understand how people can accept that. I see it in movies, using dark backgrounds, in games, etc. It's very disturbing.

Thats not saying that these monitors don't suffer from backlight bleed. They sure do but many people mistake ips glow for backlight bleed.

You who had the issue with the left side of the screen being darker and dirtier, did you get to exchange or did you just not care that much?

If you are talking about me and IPS glow, I'm not bothering about the exchange (Dell don't exchange for IPS glow) as it's only visible in the dark scenes + dark surroundings, I just a little bit correct my sitting position and enjoy it.

I just got my 3 monitors and they look great! Can you guys give me info as to what I should open or look at to make sure everything looks fine?

I would check for tinting, green on the left side and pink on the right. Try with google.com if you see anything like that. Also check if your left side of the screen is somewhat darker than the right one. Backlight bleed when the screen and your room is dark, check the corners :) The same with IPS glow.

i don't know why da fuck they're not using ATW Polarizers anymore. Bastards, i will happelly pay for it.

i don't know why da fuck they're not using ATW Polarizers anymore. Bastards, i will happelly pay for it.
Huh? Anymore? Dell has never used a A-TW polarizer on any of their monitors. :rolleyes: If you want it, you're going to have to shell out for the NECs that do (or the one HP).

so, from my other thread:
Hello there,

I just got myself a U2311H and I have some problems with it. I know there was a thread about this monitor, but it's been old.

So, I ordered this monitor with special price on dell.ca! I was very happy and excited to see for the first time a IPS panel. Wow..colors are nice, compared to my cheap dell monitor i used to have for a couple of years.

Anyways, they sent me a revision A01, and I know there is a version A02.
The problem I have with my monitor is that the left part has a yellow tint and the right part seems normal to me. I think it's quite annoying. I am using a macbook pro and I tried to calibrate it but I know those are not problems a colour calibration will solve but tryin to help it a bit.

also, I hear a whining sound, buzzing sound if my monitor is not at 100% brightness and this is annoying the hell out of me. Does everybody experiment those kind of things with their monitors?

Is it possible to ask for a A02 panel or it's just lottery? Can I exchange it saying that the colour uniformity isn't the same? How long do I have to return/exchange it?

Thanks to everybody

so, from my other thread:
Hello there,

I just got myself a U2311H and I have some problems with it. I know there was a thread about this monitor, but it's been old.

So, I ordered this monitor with special price on dell.ca! I was very happy and excited to see for the first time a IPS panel. Wow..colors are nice, compared to my cheap dell monitor i used to have for a couple of years.

Anyways, they sent me a revision A01, and I know there is a version A02.
The problem I have with my monitor is that the left part has a yellow tint and the right part seems normal to me. I think it's quite annoying. I am using a macbook pro and I tried to calibrate it but I know those are not problems a colour calibration will solve but tryin to help it a bit.

also, I hear a whining sound, buzzing sound if my monitor is not at 100% brightness and this is annoying the hell out of me. Does everybody experiment those kind of things with their monitors?

Is it possible to ask for a A02 panel or it's just lottery? Can I exchange it saying that the colour uniformity isn't the same? How long do I have to return/exchange it?

Thanks to everybody

I bought three of these monitors with the sales reps guaranteeing me that they were revision A02 before I agreed to order them. When they got here, they were A01s. They all had slight tinting that I could live with, but one of them had some pixel refresh issues and I just decided to send back the lot. Since I got the promise of A02s before I ordered and didn't get them, they waived the restocking fee and paid to ship them back so I pretty much lost nothing. I still want to pick up another three, but kinda waiting a couple months and trying again to see if I can avoid the "promise a A02, get A01 anyways" that happened before.

As for returning or exchanging, they told me 21 days from date of order was the extent I had. If you didn't get them to say that you'd get a specific revision though, you may end up eating the 15% restocking fee for a return. There's definitely A02s out there, and an exchange might get you one, but iirc Dell won't just take back a monitor for tinting anymore, there has to be something else wrong with them.

are all u2311h going to have the whining sound + tinting problem?

I received one back in January, and it exhibits neither buzzing nor tinting. I believe it's revision A01, but unsure offhand. Also, all the talk about excessive AG coating is, IMHO, very overrated. It's only noticeable on a plain white background, and only if I'm looking for it. I have absolutely no issues with text on it whatsoever.

Aside from some blueish whites and pinkish grays, which should be correctable if I ever get a chance to calibrate, I couldn't be any happier with this monitor.

I received one back in January, and it exhibits neither buzzing nor tinting. I believe it's revision A01, but unsure offhand. Also, all the talk about excessive AG coating is, IMHO, very overrated. It's only noticeable on a plain white background, and only if I'm looking for it. I have absolutely no issues with text on it whatsoever.

Aside from some blueish whites and pinkish grays, which should be correctable if I ever get a chance to calibrate, I couldn't be any happier with this monitor.

guess I will exchange my monitor then....does anyone know how to do this?

Returned all 4 of mine, 1 backlight bleed, 2 color tinting issue(pretty bad too) and the replacement would turn on and go to black in portrait, when i rotated the monitor and turned it on it was fine, had to turn it again into portrait after powering it on.

No thanks Dell, once you make a good product that doesn't have a 95% defect rate maybe I'll buy something from you again.

is dell supposed to charge me to exchange the monitor??? are they going to ship me another returned monitor??

if the monitor is new ( as in you received it, and it's defective) they ship out a replacement, and ask you to return the defective one in the replacement packaging :p no charge to you.

I have been using my old Dell 2005FPW S-IPS monitor on and off since December of 2004. After a long hiatus, I broke it out and liked what I saw. I bought another one on Ebay. Both of them have their own problems with dead pixels. Eventually I did some research and I decided to get a U2311H.

I received my U2311H about three weeks ago. Over all, I quite like it. I have "tha glow" however, and find that I can adjust the unit in such a way that it goes away unless the screen is darker. Every other area of consideration is pretty good. It's a monitor for just about everything -- if it didn't have the glow it would be fantastic. In some ways I prefer it to the purple-ish ips glow. I really wanted the 24", but I got the 2311 for $239. At that price, it's easy to forget about some of the issues. I don't think the viewing angles are as good as S-IPSs, but again, consider the price.

I have been using my old Dell 2005FPW S-IPS monitor on and off since December of 2004. After a long hiatus, I broke it out and liked what I saw. I bought another one on Ebay. Both of them have their own problems with dead pixels. Eventually I did some research and I decided to get a U2311H.

I received my U2311H about three weeks ago. Over all, I quite like it. I have "tha glow" however, and find that I can adjust the unit in such a way that it goes away unless the screen is darker. Every other area of consideration is pretty good. It's a monitor for just about everything -- if it didn't have the glow it would be fantastic. In some ways I prefer it to the purple-ish ips glow. I really wanted the 24", but I got the 2311 for $239. At that price, it's easy to forget about some of the issues. I don't think the viewing angles are as good as S-IPSs, but again, consider the price.

you realize this monitor is also an IPS panel :p? The purple IPS glow has changed, it's not nearly as strong as it used to be IMO.

Configuration: U2311H connected to Dell Studio XPS1340 laptop via a 1.8m DisplayPort (DP) cable.

1. When the laptop goes into Sleep mode, it instantly turns off (crashes Windows7). The laptop cannot then be restarted until the DP connector is removed from the laptop or from the monitor. Following power up, the laptop pauses during the boot sequence offering the usual options to restart windows following a crash.

2. Substantial colour banding is seen in colour gradients. It is visible in the Windows7 logon screen, in the document background in Microsoft Office 2010 Word and Powerpoint, in the startup screens of Photoshop Elements 7 and 9, in the grey background in Lightroom 3 and anywhere where a colour gradient is displayed. NO banding is seen when connecting to the monitor via VGA, DVI directly or by a DVI to HDMI cable.

Both these problems only occur when using DisplayPort.

The DP cable is a mid range, £12 ($18) cable purchased on Amazon. Pin 20 (low voltage DC) is connected end to end. Dell's DP cable is £35 ($50) delivered in the UK. I have read that the monitor demands a DP cable with pin 20 not connected. Is this correct?

Dell replaced the monitor for me, and I have now discovered that the second monitor performs exactly the same as the first one. So ...

Could the cable be the cause of one or both of the problems?

I have not loaded any drivers for the monitor. Am I supposed to, and if so where can I find them? The driver loaded by Windows7 is identified as follows: Microsoft 21/6/2006; 6.1.7600.16385; H/W Id Monitor\DELA060.

I think it's unlikely that the XPS1340 is the problem as there are no problems if I use the HDMI output on it. Have there been any updates to fix DP problems on the 2.5 year old XPS1340?

Apart from these problems I really like the monitor. However, I do need to use both high definition inputs to it (DVI and DP).

Thanks for your help. Geoff

Hello there,

I received the refurbished replacement A00...anyways, there is no more yellow tinting over the white background but this thing still has a humming noise if the brightness is set below 75%...well, 75% brightness is a little too much for my eyes...so...should I return it and get a new one and play lottery until I receive one that is correct???

your advice..please

Hello there,

I received the refurbished replacement A00...anyways, there is no more yellow tinting over the white background but this thing still has a humming noise if the brightness is set below 75%...well, 75% brightness is a little too much for my eyes...so...should I return it and get a new one and play lottery until I receive one that is correct???

your advice..please

yes... that'll teach them to make better quality control from the get-go.

Hi guys, I've had my U2311H for a couple of weeks now and I'm very happy with it except for one thing..

Around 2 weeks ago it started taking along time displaying the image when the computer comes back from sleep, at first I thought it was just windows being windows, but I just checked it, and when I boot up the computer it's the same, I don't get any image until it's booted up, no image while its in post or anything..

A pretty weird problem :/

Hi guys, I've had my U2311H for a couple of weeks now and I'm very happy with it except for one thing..

Around 2 weeks ago it started taking along time displaying the image when the computer comes back from sleep, at first I thought it was just windows being windows, but I just checked it, and when I boot up the computer it's the same, I don't get any image until it's booted up, no image while its in post or anything..

do you see uneven illumination?

on your problem, chances are it's the monitor going into a power-saving mode.

I have a Dell U2211h, which is markedly similar to the U2311h in this thread, and I was wonder what is and what isn't safe to use to clean it? Unfortunately a friend, who had requested use of my computer for e-mail purposes, was made to laugh at a joke and get food/spittle all over my screen. It was immediately wiped off but remains a bit smudgy.

I'd appreciate suggestions on the best thing to use (I do have some sort of "monitor cleaner" lying around, but I suspect it was meant for my old CRT screen) and I don't want to use some liquid that might cause damage.

tl;dr -- How do I properly clean this monitor?

Thanks

I have a Dell U2211h, which is markedly similar to the U2311h in this thread, and I was wonder what is and what isn't safe to use to clean it? Unfortunately a friend, who had requested use of my computer for e-mail purposes, was made to laugh at a joke and get food/spittle all over my screen. It was immediately wiped off but remains a bit smudgy.

I'd appreciate suggestions on the best thing to use (I do have some sort of "monitor cleaner" lying around, but I suspect it was meant for my old CRT screen) and I don't want to use some liquid that might cause damage.

Thanks

.... Nice.

As long as you don't use anything containing ammonia, you should be fine.

Thanks

Glass cleaner works well on most screens.

No ammonia and try a glass cleaner, got it -- and thanks you two. I had been leery of glass cleaner as someone told me it was only meant to be used on glass screens (like CRTs), so that is good to know.

You could just use water, as I'm not 100% sure glass cleaner is okay. I use it myself but I don't want to be blamed for anything, heh.

DO NOT USE GLASS CLEANER!

Use a SOFT cloth, lint free preferable, and plain tap water or distilled water.

Even better, there are LCD specific cleaners you can buy.

Weird I have the same problem, although I think it happened around 6 months after I got my monitor. At least it wakes up a lot slower then my NEC 231 monitors do, but I didn't notice it until around when I got them.

Weird I have the same problem, although I think it happened around 6 months after I got my monitor. At least it wakes up a lot slower then my NEC 231 monitors do, but I didn't notice it until around when I got them.

Do your menu buttons work?

Mine sometimes give me a locked icon 3-5 seconds after I press them, sometimes they give me the menu couple of seconds after I press them and then I cant select anything in it, and sometimes they don't work at all. ;/

I just ordered one of these (I currently have 1x U2410 and 2x2209WA's). Hopefully going to get this monitor for $170 CDN taxes in (due to sale and coupon). Just needed something to play games on and hook up my Dell laptop to (other monitors are for Photography and Video editing).

Back