Dell to Offer Windows 7 After Launch of Windows 8

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Dell has announced that the company will continue to sell computers equipped with Windows 7 even after Windows 8 debuts as an OS option for as long as they are allowed. The majority of the requests are expected to be from commercial customers and gaming enthusiasts.

Microsoft two years ago introduced a plan in which boxed versions of the previous Windows version can be sold for up to a year after the release of the latest version. Under the same plan, PC makers could preload the previous OS for up to two years.

This was expected. Not a lot of reason for Dell to go through the validation process on many of their non touch PC and laptop lines when they do not have to.

This is about Dell saving money, nothing else. Lets not make it into something it is not.

ZOMG it's because Windows 8 blows chunks and Linux is teh win!

*runs like hell*

:D :D :D

Sounds like what they do every launch with every version of Windows....yawn

they did the same thing when windows 7 launched, you could still get XP for sometime after,. either installed or a downgrade option offered.. i guess windows 7 sucked :rolleyes:

Windows 7 "downgrade" is going to be offered indefinitely. There is zero chance OEM's get rid of it anytime in the next couple of years.

Windows 7 "downgrade" is going to be offered indefinitely. There is zero chance OEM's get rid of it anytime in the next couple of years.

Actually they will only offer Windows 7 as long as Microsoft allows them to.

The reason Dell stopped offering XP as an option is because Microsoft no longer allowed it.

Actually they will only offer Windows 7 as long as Microsoft allows them to.

The reason Dell stopped offering XP as an option is because Microsoft no longer allowed it.
The hilarious part is Dell can't offer XP on a $500 laptop, but if you buy a $100,000 network analyzer from Agilent, your only option is Windows XP.

its not a downgrade, it's an upgrade from 8 to 7 on the PC. Bravo dell.

Seeing as many large organizations are either in the process of upgrading to 7 or just completed we should see Windows 7 around and being sold for years to come.

Good deal... I'm still not buying anything Dell other than UltraSharp monitors though,,,

they did the same thing when windows 7 launched, you could still get XP for sometime after,. either installed or a downgrade option offered.. i guess windows 7 sucked :rolleyes:

You're thinking of Vista. Not Windows 7.

This has happened before, and it isn't a good sign, really.
I remember working for Lenovo when Windows Vista launched. Not long after, we offered a Windows XP image gratis.

I think Dell should have made an in-house Start menu shell replacement for Windows 8 if they're not a fan of the Start screen. OEM have always made some sort of shell overlays or replacements in consumer software bundle, like Acer's "Rocket Dock" immitation or HP's full-screen media app for their TouchSmart lines.

This was expected. Not a lot of reason for Dell to go through the validation process on many of their non touch PC and laptop lines when they do not have to.

This is about Dell saving money, nothing else. Lets not make it into something it is not.
There is absolutely 0 chance of anything being sold without windows 8, or consequently windows 8 validation after the launch outside of perhaps a few models that will be shortly discontinued. Windows 8 is not a tablet OS, no matter what anyone wishes it to be. It will be sold on all devices, regardless of whether or not they have a touchscreen.

Dell ALWAYS offers users the ability to downgrade for as long as possible. This has absolutely nothing to do with the quality or public perception of Windows 8.

I have zero interest in Windows for 8 yr old's. :mad:

How long will Win 7 be supported before we have to force Microsoft to support it longer? :rolleyes:

My company still gets fresh XP imaged computers from Dell.
So this comes as no surprise.

Dell is right! plus MS should have waited 5 years before launching a new windows. People dont like changes that quickly.

Dell is right! plus MS should have waited 5 years before launching a new windows. People dont like changes that quickly.

They waited 5 years... Their last major UI change was with Vista. Windows 7 is a minor refinement over Vista, and Windows 8 is another big change.

It takes minimal effort to get used to the loss of the start menu, however I wish Windows 8 had Metro optional just to get people to stop mindlessly bitching about something they've never really given a chance.

They waited 5 years... Their last major UI change was with Vista. Windows 7 is a minor refinement over Vista, and Windows 8 is another big change.

It takes minimal effort to get used to the loss of the start menu, however I wish Windows 8 had Metro optional just to get people to stop mindlessly bitching about something they've never really given a chance.

I gave Metro a chance and I didn't like it. When I installed Classic Shell it became more useable for me but I didn't see any reason to upgrade my perfectly fine Win7 system. That said Vista really shouldn't be part of the discussion, Business (in general) went from XP to 7 just recently - in the last 12 months for my employer actually. They won't be doing an upgrade from 7 for at least another 5 years. So I agree they should have waited on Windows 8.

Business (in general) went from XP to 7 just recently - in the last 12 months for my employer actually. They won't be doing an upgrade from 7 for at least another 5 years. So I agree they should have waited on Windows 8.

So instead of releasing Windows 8, getting the bad press out of the way, then releasing Windows 8 SP2/Windows 9 in time for the corporations to upgrade, they should wait, miss out on the booming tablet market, and then release Windows 8 later. Seems to be people would then just say "windows 8 sucks, I'll just wait for Windows 9" that much later. Might as well get it out of the way, and hopefully gain some traction in the tablet market.

Windows 8 won't be the success of Windows 7, nor will be be the abject failure that Windows Vista was. It will probably fall somewhere in the middle...

So instead of releasing Windows 8, getting the bad press out of the way, then releasing Windows 8 SP2/Windows 9 in time for the corporations to upgrade, they should wait, miss out on the booming tablet market, and then release Windows 8 later. Seems to be people would then just say "windows 8 sucks, I'll just wait for Windows 9" that much later. Might as well get it out of the way, and hopefully gain some traction in the tablet market.

Windows 8 won't be the success of Windows 7, nor will be be the abject failure that Windows Vista was. It will probably fall somewhere in the middle...

Maybe they are trying to emulate Start Trek where the odd numbered ones don't suck lol.

Maybe they are trying to emulate Start Trek where the odd numbered ones don't suck lol.

Took a while for the even/odd bullshit to show up.

Most OEM's offer a downgrade to the previous version and have for quite a while. Mostly to businesses which don't upgrade to every new release when it happens.

Took a while for the even/odd bullshit to show up.

Most OEM's offer a downgrade to the previous version and have for quite a while. Mostly to businesses which don't upgrade to every new release when it happens.

I agree pretty much each MS OS going from DOS>3.1>95>98>2K>XP was a significant improvement. Even Vista wasn't bad if you didn't have legacy hardware/drivers.

XP? What, no downgrade to Vista? :D

Everyone thought Vista sucked. Reality? When 7 wen RTM, there wasn't a noticeable difference between the to OS's. I liked 7 better, but I didn't have a problem with Vista once there were decent drivers and MS had released some hotfixes to address a few bugs. IOW, by summer of 2007, it was fine (or 2008 if you didn't do the hotfixes and waited on SP1).

Unlike Vista/7, i didn't do the beta/RC, but for $40.00 I'll buy an upgrade and give it a spin....but I'll probably use an old XP key to upgrade (just in case they void my 7 key).

Back