Dell to build AMD PC possible by second quarter

That would raise Dells rateing on my list from "stupid company I'll only buy from if they make no profit off sell" to "semi-stupid company I'll only buy from if they make no profit off the sell"

I'll believe it when I see it. Probably Dell is in talks with Intel again and is dangling that carrot in front of Intel...

what he said. This exact same thing has been speculated and hinted at from dell and others so many times over the years, to get a better contract with intel, it's rediculious.

Excellent points.
I would love to see AMD and Dell working together. Intel needs some stiffer competition so maybe they will try a little harder.

Come on guys, we only get to discuss this rumor three maybe four times a year, lets not waste one in early January....

Seriously, I will believe these rumors when I can buy a Dell with an AMD CPU (not that I'd buy a Dell with any CPU...). Unitl then I'll write it off as Dell trying to get a better deal from Intel, it wouldn't be the first time.

It would be funny if Intel saw the ruse and didn't offer a better deal and Dell started selling AMD rigs out of spite. :D

hey deja vu, all over again. this is like the 3rd time this last quarter ive heard this story, and thats just THIS year. they do this every year, and have been for ages.

Dell hitns they might put AMD in their boxen, Intel gives em a better deal, dell doesn't put AMD in thier boxen. Repeat next year, ad nasueum

ill believe it when I see it, like Duke Nukem

While it is still speculation, this time around is a bit different because it is coming from Wall Street type sources and is affecting the price of AMD stock. The previous instances where Dell would use this tactic to get a better deal from Intel didn't result in positive affect on the AMD shares.

weired if they came out with this after the dominating year(s) for AMD are almost 'over' and intel is finally delivering competitive products again - especially with conroe 2Q away and a big black hole in AMDs roadmap :p

Dell is based here in Austin Texas. A good friend of mine works there, and he said he will NEVER buy a Dell. He said he sees computers coming off the line missing CPU's, vid cards, broken HSF's, dinged up cases, you name it. He said they get tossed around like they were empty boxes. Tech support or service wise, i have one word to say, India... I personally will not buy a Dell, ever. Heck they even rewire their stuff so you cant upgrade it unless you go through Dell.

I would love to replace the racks of power hunger Xeon Dell servers we have in the back room with some Dual-Core Operton goodness.... our power consumption would drop in half and our production servers would be about 5 times "more better" in transaction processing...

Once can dream. I go Dell all the way for business stuff - OptiPlex, Latitude, Servers and Arrays... never been a fan of the "consumer" lines. Dell does treat thier business clients rather well.

Peace,
Tim

Budwise said:
Dell is based here in Austin Texas. A good friend of mine works there, and he said he will NEVER buy a Dell. He said he sees computers coming off the line missing CPU's, vid cards, broken HSF's, dinged up cases, you name it. He said they get tossed around like they were empty boxes. Tech support or service wise, i have one word to say, India... I personally will not buy a Dell, ever. Heck they even rewire their stuff so you cant upgrade it unless you go through Dell.

Do me a favor. Don't post your bullshit around these forum. Dell's are compatable with almost every piece of hardware. The only propietray piece in a Dell is the mobo. Everything else can be upgraded. A broken HSF = non functioning computer. Dell test all their computers before leaving the factory. How are they able to install XP is they didn't?
Go spread your b/s somewhere else.

I was looking to buy a pc around the time I graduated from high school and the folks suprised me with a new one. Not knowing a whole lot about it they just bought a dell and it has been a very, very reliable computer (of course I had to add ram, dvd burner, graphics cards) but over the last 3 years it has been nothing but reliable. Would I buy another? problably not since no amd and the way they do there motherboards, but a good machine for the average user.

MD_Willington said:
Does AMD have the capacity to supply DELL...?
they just opened the new fab in dresden, and are starting to make 300mm wafers, so hopefully that should increase there ability to produce substancially.

HmmmDonut said:
Do me a favor. Don't post your bullshit around these forum. Dell's are compatable with almost every piece of hardware. The only propietray piece in a Dell is the mobo. Everything else can be upgraded. A broken HSF = non functioning computer. Dell test all their computers before leaving the factory. How are they able to install XP is they didn't?
Go spread your b/s somewhere else.

Yeah,... what he said could be untrue, but I'm sure that they load all the files onto the harddrives from a image before they even put them in the case. I assure you that they do not go through the installation process on any computers they sell, that would just be rediculously wasteful.

Basically what I'm saying is, don't attack someone's credibility if you don't at least have a good grasp on that you are talking about.

ignitionxvi said:
they just opened the new fab in dresden, and are starting to make 300mm wafers, so hopefully that should increase there ability to produce substancially.
hasn't ramped up to full production yet though, give them a few months.

Budwise said:

Tell me about it. My last job moved to Dells a few months before I left. Since I was incharge of installing all the new PCs, I was the person who first handled the computers. I lost count of how many times I got PCs from them where everything wasn't connected. The major offender was the CPU fan. After 2 weeks of working with Dells I started pulling the side panels off and checking that every was present and connected before I even first booted them up. However after I finished assembling them they ran wonderfully.

I think there are a few things that makes this seem much more likely this time around. 1) Dell is selling AMD processors on their site already 2) Most other companies are selling AMD based machines at increasingly higher rates (just look at the Wal-mart laptop incident) 3) AMD is opening a new FAB plant, that will dramatically increase their ability to supply Dell.

Personally I can see Dell offering AMD chips in their XPS line and as an option on their servers.

I've had good experiences with the Optiplex line, except for some overheating issues. More configuration options, upgradeable, and no bloatware. Just avoid the Dimensions.
1) Dell is selling AMD processors on their site already
IIRC, they've been doing that for a long time now.

I would love to see AMD processors in Dell systems, but what if Dell used up all of AMD's high end parts (like they did with ATi's X800/X850 cards) and we get what's left? At higher prices! :eek:

TheTMan said:
Yeah,... what he said could be untrue, but I'm sure that they load all the files onto the harddrives from a image before they even put them in the case. I assure you that they do not go through the installation process on any computers they sell, that would just be rediculously wasteful.

Basically what I'm saying is, don't attack someone's credibility if you don't at least have a good grasp on that you are talking about.

Fine. But really Dell doesn't have that bad of Q/C. People need to realize that.

When's the last time you tried to upgrade a DELL power supply unit? The motherboards/PSU's and cases are proprietary. The only things a Dell will accept are optical drives, graphics cards, hard drives and memory. That's why most enthusiasts stay far away from Dells.

freeloader1969 said:
When's the last time you tried to upgrade a DELL power supply unit? The motherboards/PSU's and cases are proprietary. The only things a Dell will accept are optical drives, graphics cards, hard drives and memory. That's why most enthusiasts stay far away from Dells.

Cases = BTX
Power supplies have been spotty. I have heard of some people being able to replace the power supply and other who kill their mobo.

Not all the cases are BTX. Some will not accept a "factory" motherboard from Asus, Abit, etc...unless you modify it.

I bought a little AMD at 16.53 then a bunch more at 26.27 (just last month). Considering that it's now at 36.xx, it was probably one of the smartest investments I've made.

10 grand before = 17 grand now.

Personally I'm expecting it to top off at 45

Silvermirage said:
I bought a little AMD at 16.53 then a bunch more at 26.27 (just last month). Considering that it's now at 36.xx, it was probably one of the smartest investments I've made.

10 grand before = 17 grand now.

Personally I'm expecting it to top off at 45

that sucks. I had some way back in 2000, but had to sell it because of being poor and etrade quarterly fees were killing me. I would have made some change too.

YAY AMD!

invest in AMD now because if dell does start selling AMD then you will make a lot of money ;)

HmmmDonut said:
Do me a favor. Don't post your bullshit around these forum. Dell's are compatable with almost every piece of hardware.

Actually they have proprietary wiring in their power supplies. Hooking up a Dell PS to a standard Mobo, will usually short thr PS, Mobo, or other components. So you need to change the PS/Mobo as a pair. Did DELL change the pin config or plug, nope. Therefore anyone trying to upgrade their mobo would run into a problem.

Just an FYI.

Back