Dell t5810 cpu upgrade

Link to the new thread?

Wow. Sounds like it's getting a bit long in the tooth. :( Time to find a nice cheap barebone machine and swap everything over. ;)

LOL! I love how these things can take ram that's still ungodly today. :D

Well I do have another spare box laying here BUT... I do not think it is a good candidate... well you tell me...
I have a lenovo dual xeon sitting here running esxi 7 but am not using it... sooooooo....

I could put my e5-2678 v3 from the dell into the lenovo (did a test and it works), buy a 2nd cpu for $80....

but do I really need 24 cores / 48 threads and 192gb ram for a gaming rig? is there any benefit to that?

but do I really need 24 cores / 48 threads and 192gb ram for a gaming rig? is there any benefit to that?

No, it will cause nothing but problems. Games aren't designed to run on NUMA systems, which is why Threadripper has "Game mode".

In NUMA systems, each processor has its own memory controller, memory pool on physical memory slots and PCIe bus. Additionally, if each physical CPU has multiple dies like Threadripper, the memory can be further split between the multiple dies.

Why is this a problem? Well let's assume the worst case scenario. Let's say you have a PCIe video card on CPU 0 PCIe bus, while the game is on CPU 1, and for some reason the game is using memory on CPU 0 memory pool. This slows the game way down because the second CPU needs to go to the first CPU to access its PCIe bus and memory pool. Just having the PCIe video card on a different CPU's PCIe bus causes heavy performance degradation, but the non-local memory pool makes it a whole lot worse.

Windows 10 sort of has the problem worked out so that the thread scheduler keeps applications within their own NUMA nodes for memory access, but I don't think it does for PCIe mapping, you'd have to figure that out manually.

Back