Dell T20 Mini-Tower "server" for $139

Great little server. 14 watts with 2 x 3TB WD Reds in RAID 1. Stream BlueIris home security cameras to it and it's also my backup server. Another one that runs Hyper-V and two Server 2012 R2 VMs for a remote office. They have ECC memory in them.

I have one of these, I'm a big fan. Runs silent, perfectly reliable. I'm running mine w/ 16GB EEC, a SSD and laptop backup system drive, and four HDDs in RAID for data, and likewise it also is host to my security cameras. You do need a little pci-e card to get the extra two sata ports for the boot drives which is in another thread here if you search title for Dell T20.

That is a great price!!! In for one of those little puppies. :D

And to the OP, thanks a ton for sharing and I can confirm that the coupon code does still work. :p

In for one myself just now. Code still working. It's $150.47 with tax cause I'm in Tx.

I bit and can confirm the code still works.

I picked one up as well. I was surprised that it could do 4x 3.5" drives and 2x 2.5".

I picked one up as well. I was surprised that it could do 4x 3.5" drives and 2x 2.5".
Just a reminder that if you want to do the 2x 2.5" in addition to the 4x 3.5", you need:
1) StarTech 4in SATA Power Y Splitter Adapter Cable
and
2) StarTech 2 Port SATA 6 Gbps PCI Express SATA Controller Card Model PEXSAT32

Newegg has both for $36 shipped right now.

Just a reminder that if you want to do the 2x 2.5" in addition to the 4x 3.5", you need:
1) StarTech 4in SATA Power Y Splitter Adapter Cable
and
2) StarTech 2 Port SATA 6 Gbps PCI Express SATA Controller Card Model PEXSAT32

Newegg has both for $36 shipped right now.

Got it as part of the deal :D, but thanks for the heads up.

Look at the feedback on that StarTech controller... not good, especially with 2008.

I've been running this SIIG controller with a RAID-1 array for the last five years or so
in an old Dell SC430 low end server. Good performance and no problems. This is with
SBS 2003 for the OS.

It's based on a Marvell controller chip.

Edit:

I have to retract my suggestion for the above controller if you want RAID, it doesn't show that it supports RAID in the sales specs or online manual. This is the newer SIIG SC-SAE012-S2, the card I have is the SIIG SC-SAE012-S1. It looks like a Silicon Image controller chip now instead of the Marvell. Weird that I don't see the online manual for my v1 of this card supporting RAID either, probably not a good sign. lol... My server has been running fine with this card running a RAID-1 for a long time though.

Probably best to select a different card if you need RAID.

Edit #2:

This one looks better for RAID. Doesn't say it supports 2012 though. I would think it would since it supports 2008, but dunno.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816150041&cm_re=siig_raid-_-16-150-041-_-Product

Same specs on this card and a bit cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-HyperDuo...d=1449110608&sr=8-1&keywords=marvell+88se9230

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Anyone know what brand and model of motherboard these have in them?

Look at the feedback on that StarTech controller... not good, especially with 2008.
I have two T20's already, setup for family with that controller. Both are running Windows 7 64bit and run fine as HTPCs just using the inexpensive controller to host the OS on an SSD and a old laptop hard drive that it backs up to automatically (still have plenty of those laying around). So for that purpose, I can confirm it works fine.

I have two T20's already, setup for family with that controller. Both are running Windows 7 64bit and run fine as HTPCs just using the inexpensive controller to host the OS on an SSD and a old laptop hard drive that it backs up to automatically (still have plenty of those laying around). So for that purpose, I can confirm it works fine.

That's good to hear.

Sounds like a nice setup on those.

I just noticed this morning that it is in town at the FedEx location and scheduled for delivery tomorrow. ;)

Should have bought one or two and didn't. Maybe they will go back on sale before or during Christmas.

I just noticed this morning that it is in town at the FedEx location and scheduled for delivery tomorrow. ;)
I got my order two days later, probably helps that it was shipping from Austin to Houston, heh. I don't even need one, so am going to set it up as a present.

Not sure if this is still working. When going to the link, it says $149, but then when you try and configure to add it to the cart, it immediately jumps to $179. Also the 139T20 code doesn't seem to be working anymore.

The Xeon iteration coupon is also dead: 279t20. I tried to work with dell sales since im late to the party, but no dice.

The Xeon iteration coupon is also dead: 279t20. I tried to work with dell sales sine im late to the party, but they declined.

Confirmed as well.

I was able to pick up a T110 today with a E3-1230v2 for $230 (no HD), but it looks like that deal is now dead as well.

That little T20 jewel showed up today. :p

Just a smidgen larger than I figured it would be but still pretty dang small.

Don't have time to mess with it tonight, LOL, but in the next day or two.

Quick question that some of ya might be able to answer; I have an original Dell Windows 7 Pro 64 that I figured on installing. Now, being a Dell original; is it able to update to win 10?

Not sure if their servers have a SLIC 2.1 entry in the BIOS, in case you were going for a Dell branded Win7 disc. Nice if the server does though.

Not sure if their servers have a SLIC 2.1 entry in the BIOS, in case you were going for a Dell branded Win7 disc. Nice if the server does though.

Right, I don't know for sure either. I'm hoping it does so I can utilize the Dell branded disc. :p

Just so I didn't do a double post I figured I would edit this one.

Took a few minutes to unpack the little dude and was mildly surprised when I opened up the side panel. Pretty compact little system really.

Wow oh wow, talk about proprietary power supply. :eek: The optical and hard drive power plugs are plugged into the motherboard. LOL. The main power plug from the power supply to the motherboard is only an 8 pin plug! The processor plug is a 4 pin plug. Man, I certainly hope the power supply is a decent built unit as it would be a PITA to have to buy a replacement from Dell. :rolleyes:

But all it all I was pretty happy when I opened it up and seen that you can install 4 x 3 1/2 drives as well as 2 x 2 1/2 drives or a laptop type optical drive. They made great use of the space available in the case.

Last edited:

I've wondered about that too and if it's different on systems sold with no OS. Sure would be nice if it was ready to go for Win7/2008 out of the box.

Not good to hear about the funky PSU, I hate non-standard parts like that. Dell probably charges $300 on a replacement PSU on a system you bought for $139. :)

Do these have IPMI or Intel AMT? If so do they support actual KVM?

You guys that are running 4x 3.5" drives are your drives staying cool? I am thinking about loading up my T20 but noticed there is no front mounted fan just the single rear.

I hate this, too, but it's the price of such cheap hardware.

Any of these cables look like a fix?

Actually this one looks like its the right one:
http://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell...24%2dPin-to-8%2dPin-Adapter-Cable-(30cm).html

But then again, there are about 4 or 5 of them listed on that page you posted and they all kind of look the same. Might be a different power pin out on them or something.

Awesome find though if they are correct.

And here is what the power supply looks like. (This is the official replacement):
http://www.amazon.com/Supply-PowerEdge-socket-computer-Genuine/dp/B00NZKC9EW

$80 frigging bucks for that silly thing? LOLOL

Here is an interesting read on a server forum:
http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8803-dell-t20-powersupply/

The last two posts are interesting as they are stating that one can use an 8 pin from a standard power supply to power up the motherboard? Odd indeed. Of course one would have to have a 4 pin cpu plug as well.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You guys that are running 4x 3.5" drives are your drives staying cool? I am thinking about loading up my T20 but noticed there is no front mounted fan just the single rear.

I really wonder about this as well. I was considering adding in some 10 or 15K SAS drives but I don't want to kill them due to heat.

I've been running 4x 4TB WDs w/ a SSD OS (backed up to old laptop drive, so six drives total) 24x7x365 since Feb 2014 on two identical systems with no issues. *knocks on wood* I don't monitor drive temps, but touching them feels fine.

I only have two drives in mine but I'll check this afternoon and see if it's cool inside or not. I put Windows 2012 Server R2 Standard on it and it's running good.

Back