Dell Stackables Back!

phide said:
Bottom left and top right corners bleed heavily, about two-half, three inches out. Bottom right and top left corners aren't nearly as bad. I believe if I snapped a photo, it'd be the worst of any I've seen in the big 'ol 2005FPW post.

I'll get it replaced if Dell can pick it up and one-day a replacement. Otherwise, I think I'm going for a refund. It seems to me that the design works, but the production quality isn't there...I'm thinking they need to drop production in Mexico and focus a bit more on quality control.

Edit: Rather than making an entirely new post...the bleeding is less 'pronounced' than what's shown here, but extends a good deal beyond what the camera actually picks up.

bleed.jpg

phide.. my monitor looks exactly like yours does.. i think im gonna get a refund and just spend my 400 on a diff brand.

So I missed it the first time around, but I got one now! Deals are back

Dell 19" Ultrasharp 1905FP Digital LCD $251, May 19

Dell Home has 35% on 1905FP, 2005FPW LCD Code: S0BDZ6HBTFDPSL (Exp 5/26 5:59am CDT)

Dell 1905FP 19" Digital LCD w/DVI = $251
$479 + ($21+ Filler) - 35% LCD - $60 off $500 Code MHD4PQCF$WJ2S3

Dell 2005FPW 20.1" LCD w/DVI = $397
$749 + ($1+ filler) - 35% LCD - $90 off $750 Code 79VT3767HP833W

Filler items: Choose one in Flash Memory post below.
CASE LOGIC Bag ($11)

I dont know how you guys are doing this, when I go to add the coupons it wont let me do it and the 35% says 25%, what am I doing wrong??

Checked UPS. They are 24lbs each. Both should arrive today.

To bad my video card won't be here till Saturday.

DOH!

I'm sitting here with the 2005fpw in the cart. I'm just wondering if it won't get cheaper sometime, since it's been lower before...

Edit: Darth, I'm pretty sure it comes with a DVI and an analogue cable.

Awesome, that makes me feel not so stupid for not using DVI cables as padding.

Anybody need a camera case? I've got 2. Pay for Dell's shipping to me ($7) and whatever it costs to ship to you and it's yours.

The item had to be purchased from the 1st to the 15th, but it is still being advertised on the website so you just call and whine and they will validate your rebate.

Oh well. First report on monitor #1 (from my girlfriend, who's at home with it hooked up to her computer) is that "it's pretty fuckin' sexy." hasn't noticed any backlight or dead pixel issues yet. here's to hoping that #2 is just as good.

got mine yesterday. i've only found one bad pixel, a stuck blue, but i haven't searched thoroughly. backlight bleeding seems minor.

oh man, the UPS guy finally came.
All hooked up now and I'm definately having no regrets coming from a dying KDS monitor.

A little bleeding in the bottom left and top right, I dont even notice it really.
One pixel stuck on red about about 2 inches from the left of the screen in the middle, I'm gonna try rubbin it out over the next few days.

Minor problems for me however, I LOVE IT! :D :D

Just got mine a coupla hours ago..
2005fpw.jpg

that's like the worst picture ever, but it gets the message across. the 2005fpw is about the same height (panel-wise, not including the bezel) as my Hyundai L70S 17" LCD, but waaay wider. 1680x1050 is a very welcome change from 1280x1024. Games are teh WIN on this! I have little/no backlighting issues, but 2 stuck pixels that I can't see unless I look really hard on a black background. Dell FTW.

Well, after procrastinating most of the day, I finally cracked and ordered a 2005FPW :D.
Here's hoping it gets here soon with all pixels functioning and without backlight bleedage ;).

I hooked mine up last night and it looks great. No dead pixels and no bad back light issues that I see.

Ordered mine last night, shipped today already. Glad to see others that just ordered w/o issues with pixels and back lighting.

Got mine yesterday, and I can't stand the backlighting. Mine doesn't have the the corner leakage nearly as bad as the pics I've seen, but there's an overall whitewashed sheen that is just terrible, it looks like there's glare on the monitor and I find it uncomfortable.

I'm one of their pickier customers on this because I use a white-on black color scheme (I find it more comfortable for editing text, which is most of what I do as a programmer). Even in the center of the monitor it's bad, and certainly goes beyond the "LCDs don't quite get the blackest blacks" CW, which I am well aware of, but I have worked on other LCDs using white-on-black and they were not washed out to this extent.

I think I'm gonna return it and not bother trying to exchange it for a "good" one. There's something about the quality of the problem that suggests to me it's a design flaw... There's also the fact that when I poked at the corners and edges of the screen lightly, out of curiousity, the panel flops around! It's not even secured in the housing, which I see as Dell's way of saying they don't want the thing to be a quality product.

Nick

The_Incubator said:
Got mine yesterday, and I can't stand the backlighting. Mine doesn't have the the corner leakage nearly as bad as the pics I've seen, but there's an overall whitewashed sheen that is just terrible, it looks like there's glare on the monitor and I find it uncomfortable.

I'm one of their pickier customers on this because I use a white-on black color scheme (I find it more comfortable for editing text, which is most of what I do as a programmer). Even in the center of the monitor it's bad, and certainly goes beyond the "LCDs don't quite get the blackest blacks" CW, which I am well aware of, but I have worked on other LCDs using white-on-black and they were not washed out to this extent.

I think I'm gonna return it and not bother trying to exchange it for a "good" one. There's something about the quality of the problem that suggests to me it's a design flaw... There's also the fact that when I poked at the corners and edges of the screen lightly, out of curiousity, the panel flops around! It's not even secured in the housing, which I see as Dell's way of saying they don't want the thing to be a quality product.

Nick
Careful Nick!! :eek: If you say anything negative about these monitors you will promptly feel the backlash of the Dell lapdogs who can't bear to witness anybody slandering their "quality product". People like FurBurglar consider it very bad taste to downgrade a product that people just spent 400 bucks on. Even though the Dell 2005FPW monitor is a defective piece of shit, this thread is only meant for praise. People like KatoKal feel that anybody that has bought this monitor and found it defective have clearly not done enough serious research to be able to say anything bad about it. :rolleyes:

Seriously though Nick, I hope your return experience is better then mine was. It took a week + 10 emails and an hour long phone call for Dell to finally get somebody out to my place to pick up my defective Dell 2005FPW. It took an additional 2 weeks to finally get my money back. Good luck to you!

gn0me said:
Even though the Dell 2005FPW monitor is a defective piece of shit, this thread is only meant for praise
wow, a little harsh there?

I just got mine yesterday and I like it alot. Considering all the issues people are having with it I would consider the great price more of a gamble. It seems like Dell's quality control is lacking. On the other hand, the product is great (for the majority) and their 3 year warranty and replacement plan (and Indian callcenter guys who hook you up in exchange for praise to their supervisors) leaves nothing to be desired.

Having had it for a day, I can't comment on the long term durability, but so far I am blown away by the image fidelity as compared to my NU QL711V analog LCD panel.

I couldn't be more pleased with the gaming. There is very minor blacklight bleeding on the top right corner, but its no more pronounced than any other monitor I've seen. No dead pixels. Did I mention sharp?

When I spend 400 dollars on a product I'm bummed if it's not what it was cracked up to be. If it's not, I don't spend my time in denial saying "OMG I SPENT 400 DOLLARS SO THIS PRODUCT IS AUTOMATICALLY COOL!" I either return it or SELL IT on E-bay. What I am saying is that I am very impressed with the monitor for the price.

Coming on here saying that the monitor is a defective peice of shit is really just fishing for flames in the midst of so many people like myself who got a great price and have had a generally great experience with their 2005fpws. I expect other people to get very defensive over your statement. What do you expect?

I expect people might get upset because I feel strongly about the fact that this monitor is the equivalent of a shiny turd. I realize that some people have bought this monitor and are happy with it. That's great! I'm glad they got something they enjoy. However, for a lot of other people, they keep getting crappy monitor after crappy monitor.

I don't know why I bother pointing out that fact except that maybe people will stop buying the Dell 2005FPW until the design flaw is fixed on these monitors. There is a reason Dell keeps offering up all these coupons to sell this monitor. Its because Dell knows they are defective and nobody would spend 750 bucks on them otherwise. Dell is banking on the fact that people might get a monitor with "slight" backlight bleeding and just live with it.

Why don't you see these great deals on the Dell 2405FPW? I think it's been about 2 months since the last great offering on those. The reason is because that monitor actually WORKS CORRECTLY a majority of the time. As opposed to the Dell 2005FPW which, as people have said in this very thread, is a crap shoot to get a good one.

If you don't agree with what I'm saying, then that's your right.

After reading all these things about the backlight problem on this monitor I was having seconds thoughts about getting it... but when I was watching an eppisode of The OC that I missed on my 19" CRT... in my pretty dark room I noticed the blacks were more dark grey, so I put the blank screensaver up and although it's not coming from the corners like on some pictures it looks more dark grey than black... I think it's just impossible to expect something thats lit from behind to be black b/c black = absence of light... Anyways I probably wont be ordering it until June so I get to see if the problems get better or worse...

I don't know what people really are complaining about, mine seems to have the backlighting problem. But unless you run a test and are looking for it, you will never notice it.

n64man120 said:
I don't know what people really are complaining about, mine seems to have the backlighting problem. But unless you run a test and are looking for it, you will never notice it.

It's well beyond that. I consider it borderline unusable when there's a dark background (like I'm looking at right now to edit my post) due to the amount of "glare" (it's not glare from external light sources, but it looks like it. I guess it's internal reflections in the glass from the poor backlighting).

For an interesting side note, there's an Apple store about 5 minutes from where I work, so out of curiosity I swung in there during lunch and had a look at their 20. You'd never believe it's the same panel. It had a very dark solid black and none of the whitewash and "glare" in my Dell. All I can say is Anandtech's credibility is extremely suspect, there's no way you could put the two next to each other without deciding the Dell's a turd and the Apple is the clearly superior implementation.

Anyway, beyond that there's no point in arguing. Mine's going back, but for those of you who are happy with yours, enjoy. You got a good deal.

Nick

The_Incubator said:
It's well beyond that. I consider it borderline unusable when there's a dark background (like I'm looking at right now to edit my post) due to the amount of "glare" (it's not glare from external light sources, but it looks like it. I guess it's internal reflections in the glass from the poor backlighting).

For an interesting side note, there's an Apple store about 5 minutes from where I work, so out of curiosity I swung in there during lunch and had a look at their 20. You'd never believe it's the same panel. It had a very dark solid black and none of the whitewash and "glare" in my Dell. All I can say is Anandtech's credibility is extremely suspect, there's no way you could put the two next to each other without deciding the Dell's a turd and the Apple is the clearly superior implementation.

Anyway, beyond that there's no point in arguing. Mine's going back, but for those of you who are happy with yours, enjoy. You got a good deal.

Nick

I admit this is my first flat panel I owned and read all the reviews and comments. I just got my 2005fpw on Monday and I was impressed by the screen size,image quality, and features. I had an issue with the back lighting that I got though especially since my wallpaper is a dark. I called customer service and they were happy enough to give me an exchange in 3 days. The replacement monitor came on Friday and I just installed it today. It was flawless and I'm loving this monitor for the price. The bottom line is are you willing to sacrifice the exchanging to get the right monitor (dell) or just pay $350 bucks more to get a great monitor right off the bat (apple).

I for one wouldn't pay $350 more to get an apple monitor unless dell gave me like 3 bad monitor exchanges but I'm a patient person anyway but some just are not.

So anyone considering making a purchase on this product it's a 50/50 chance that there might be an issue backlighting/dead pixels but then take into consideration the $350 price bump alternative....

The_Incubator said:

Nick

I'm on the fence on this one. I haven't done any scripting on this monitor as of yet, but the backlighting is very bright when viewing anything with a white background. I think over time this is going to tire my eyes out. Hell, I squint when viewing webpages like Fark that are based on a white background. This is a really good monitor for gaming, but I wanted something that would also be easier on the eyes for long programming sessions. I'm going to make my decision in a day or two and maybe trade this in on a 1905.

~Doc

DevilDoc said:
I'm on the fence on this one. I haven't done any scripting on this monitor as of yet, but the backlighting is very bright when viewing anything with a white background. I think over time this is going to tire my eyes out. Hell, I squint when viewing webpages like Fark that are based on a white background. This is a really good monitor for gaming, but I wanted something that would also be easier on the eyes for long programming sessions. I'm going to make my decision in a day or two and maybe trade this in on a 1905.

~Doc

You can adjust the brightness if you using the DVI connector using nvidia drivers (that is if you have an nvidiacard) thats what I had to do as well as websites are too bright with the normal brightness.

Blackrain said:
You can adjust the brightness if you using the DVI connector using nvidia drivers (that is if you have an nvidiacard) thats what I had to do as well as websites are too bright with the normal brightness.

Yeah, I'm using the DVI Connector, and I played around with the brightness settings in the ATI Control Panel a little bit last night. I didn't spend too much time on it as I was beat like a redheaded stepchild and needed to get my sleep. One thing I didn't like was that as I reduced the brightness, some of the color saturation(?) went out of the content I was viewing.

I was thinking of changing my textpad view to white-on-black or green-on-black ala matrix for program editing. I'll see how that goes.

If your having that much trouble, I guess my backlighting problem is alot less severe than I thought it was. Granted I said it doesn't bother me at all, but looking at a black screensaver I thought it leaked alot. [H]'s background in dark looks fine to me, I guess mine's not bad.

The_Incubator said:

Nick

DevilDoc said:
Yeah, I'm using the DVI Connector, and I played around with the brightness settings in the ATI Control Panel a little bit last night. I didn't spend too much time on it as I was beat like a redheaded stepchild and needed to get my sleep. One thing I didn't like was that as I reduced the brightness, some of the color saturation(?) went out of the content I was viewing.

I was thinking of changing my textpad view to white-on-black or green-on-black ala matrix for program editing. I'll see how that goes.

If you program alot then yeah green on black would be a good alternative. Also getting the latest catalyst driver (if you haven't done so) might help with the color saturation issue.

Back