Dell S-Line Screens - S2740L, S2440L, S2340M, S2340L, S2240M

I have an honest question I'm hoping a guru can answer.

I've been waiting and passing up deals on IPS monitors for a while now for the "new wave of DELL IPS monitors"..

This is it and the downgrade the 27 to 1920x1080?

Am I missing something? Is there to be another release? Any advice on what I should do (wait, buy korean, buy old lineup).

thanks!

I've been waiting and passing up deals on IPS monitors for a while now for the "new wave of DELL IPS monitors"..

Am I missing something? Is there to be another release? Any advice on what I should do (wait, buy korean, buy old lineup).

thanks!

This and the 2713 are new. The 2713 is 1440.

This and the 2713 are new. The 2713 is 1440.

I understand its a new line (as I said). I've been waiting for it for a while now. I'm just not understanding if this is the only models until next year.. and if so why would they not release a high res version?

Any suggestions?

edit:

The hot IPS monitors that everyone are grabbing from korea because the dells were too expensive were the 2560 x 1440 res.

The 2713 is (1920 x 1080 max.)

I understand its a new line (as I said). I've been waiting for it for a while now. I'm just not understanding if this is the only models until next year.. and if so why would they not release a high res version?

Any suggestions?

edit:

The hot IPS monitors that everyone are grabbing from korea because the dells were too expensive were the 2560 x 1440 res.

The 2713 is (1920 x 1080 max.)

The U2713HM is 2560x1440. The S2740L is 1920x1080.

They got me with this 27", I almost was going to pick up the U2713HM but for my use I am better off saving money and getting the S2740L. Vesa + IPS + Glossy + Edge to Edge Glass = :D

My delivery date is still Sept 26th. I'll know Monday for sure if it is or not. I got the 2 day shipping. My order email does show a delivery date of Sept 26th too...

U3013 30" IPS panel with improved AG (compared to the 3011) is now confirmed for a March 2013 release.

CANT WAIT. I love the u3011, don't like the AG so much though! I have gotten used to it, however.

thanks!

As has been pointed out several times, they have a 27" 1440p monitor. It makes no sense to make two of the exact same thing with different model numbers. Dell offers a 27" 1440p and a 27" 1080p. They have something for both markets, as they should. Don't like the 1080p monitor? Don't buy it.

I'm in the group of people that like 1080p on a 27". It suits my needs just fine. Also, I think the $399 price is fine given that it's IPS, since higher-end 27" 1080p TN panels are in the $350-$400 range as well. Hell, the Samsung 750 series is more expensive than this. My only concern, and it's a small one, is the lack of MHL compared to LG's IPS277 (1080p 27" IPS). However, that's mitigated by the inclusion of DVI (LG's model lacks it), and product availability (thus far LG has refused to ship this model in the US despite "releasing" it in July).

No height adjustment = fail. Very disappointing that Dell considers this line as inferior to the Ultrasharps, which have height adjustment but also heavy AG coating.

At least the 27" 1080p IPS model has VESA, but unfortunately the 24" VA doesn't appear to have it.

As has been pointed out several times, they have a 27" 1440p monitor. It makes no sense to make two of the exact same thing with different model numbers. Dell offers a 27" 1440p and a 27" 1080p. They have something for both markets, as they should. Don't like the 1080p monitor? Don't buy it.

I'm in the group of people that like 1080p on a 27". It suits my needs just fine. Also, I think the $399 price is fine given that it's IPS, since higher-end 27" 1080p TN panels are in the $350-$400 range as well. Hell, the Samsung 750 series is more expensive than this. My only concern, and it's a small one, is the lack of MHL compared to LG's IPS277 (1080p 27" IPS). However, that's mitigated by the inclusion of DVI (LG's model lacks it), and product availability (thus far LG has refused to ship this model in the US despite "releasing" it in July).

They don't have a 1440p glossy monitor at anywhere near $400. Just because it's not an issue for you doesn't mean the rest of us can't express our disappointment.

Exactly the only monitor that is glossy and IPS in the 27 inch range is like $1000. I'm not including those Korean monitors though....I would rather have a $400 IPS 1920x1080 glossy ips panel then one at 1440P. At that res you need a microscope to view anything and if you want your games to run at max setting then you are looking at Crossfire or sli. So add another $400 for a second video card.....no thanks...

Alright, so let's see:

Samsung 970D - No VESA mount
Apple ACD - Price
Dell S series - 1080p, no 1440p
Korean Displays - Complete luck of the draw to the quality you get
Dell U27 - AG
Dell U2713 - Image retention, backlight bleed.

Now do you see why us glossy 1440pers get mad? If you want something with a standard VESA mount and glossy display, there is literally NOTHING completey solid unless you buy an ACD, which is very expensive.

I can understand why people would have liked to have seen a glossy 1440p model in this lineup, but from a financial standpoint it makes no sense to Dell. Why buy their 2713 if the glossy S model is several hundred dollars cheaper and also 1440p? The 2713 is already a lighter coating too. And based on the panels, I'd think the same problems that occur in the 2713, would appear in a S series 1440p model -- just in a glossier form.

The upcoming Asus PB278Q may be something to consider instead (for those of you who want 1440p). It's not out yet, but looks like pre-orders are around $700. Unsure if it's glossy or not though. Being PLS, it should at least be semiglossy.

The upcoming Asus PB278Q may be something to consider instead (for those of you who want 1440p). It's not out yet, but looks like pre-orders are around $700. Unsure if it's glossy or not though. Being PLS, it should at least be semiglossy.

The screen is matte. Not sure if totally or semi but it's not glossy

:(:(:(

The new Asus one will be semi-glossy. Its like the Samsung 850D. Its not quite matte and not quite glossy its in the middle..

The screen is matte. Not sure if totally or semi but it's not glossy

:(:(:(

Ah, that is unfortunate. Semiglossy may be acceptable (or preferred) by some people, at least.
Is that Microcenter Auria still available? Assuming it has vesa mounts, it may be an option.

They don't have a 1440p glossy monitor at anywhere near $400. Just because it's not an issue for you doesn't mean the rest of us can't express our disappointment.

If they sell the 1080p model for $400, why would they sell the higher quality panel for the same price? Do you not think before you post? 1440 > 1080 in cost when we're talking about similar qualities and size.

If you want a $400 27" 1440p monitor, get an Auria, Niexus, korean import, or some other A- panel. You're going to pay at least $600 for an A+ 27" 1440p panel. Prices will come down in time, but a 1080p 27" will always cost less than an equivalent 1440p 27". It's simple economics.

And the main issue I have with people complaining about this monitor: If you want a 27" 1440p IPS monitor, you have many choices. You may not like those choices, but you have them. If you want a 27" 1080p monitor, you are limited to TN or VA. We have ZERO 1080p 27" IPS monitors available today. The Dell isn't shipping to anyone for a few more weeks it seems, and LG hasn't released theirs inside the US. We flat out need SOME 1080p 27" IPS monitors. Don't like them? Don't buy them. It's that simple.

I'm through with my recent monitor shopping, but I hope there are some "expert" reviews on the 27" soon. The fairly rare aspects of the Dell + the unusual resolution/screen size for an IPS should make for interesting reading.

The new Asus one will be semi-glossy. Its like the Samsung 850D. Its not quite matte and not quite glossy its in the middle..

I have an 850D. It is NOT semi glossy. It uses an AG that is less thick than what is employed by the u2711, it has an AG on it and it is not glossy.

It's like people think in terms of glossy and then matte with there being nothing in between. There are varying levels of anti glare thickness. On a 1-10 scale a glossy would be a 0, u2711 would be a 10, the 850D would be something like a 5-6. It definitely has an AG coating, there is nothing glossy about it. As I said....think of more than just the two extremes of completely matte and glossy.

I guess we are different. I had a 850D for about 2 months and I would call it semi-glossy. So to each his own :)

I guess we are different. I had a 850D for about 2 months and I would call it semi-glossy. So to each his own :)

There is no set definition of semi-glossy really. Anything between your common matte surface on Samsungs (lighter than on LGs usually) and glossy can be considered semi-glossy.

PLS & most A-MVA panels use what the industry calls "semi-glossy," coating, but they are technically "semi-matte," since it is really a matte coating given the lack of reflections. The only monitor with a true "semi-glossy," coating is the Asus VG23AH:

ref002.jpg

They likely call the coating semi-glossy because it reads & sounds much nicer than semi-matte.

True. I will know today for sure if I do get the monitor Weds. If it is not shipping until Oct 12th I will have to find a monitor that I can use for at least 3 weeks. I just sold my U2412M so I have no monitor at the moment (I'm on my laptop) and I do game with BF3 every Friday and Sunday nights.

Just got an email from Dell my 27 inch has shipped will be here Weds :)

Is it just me or does only the 27 inch version have DVI? o_O

I was reading the Dell page on this new series of screens, and it doesn't mention it on any of the other sizes.

Is it just me or does only the 27 inch version have DVI? o_O

I was reading the Dell page on this new series of screens, and it doesn't mention it on any of the other sizes.

the 27 inch version has vga, dvi, and hdmi. for the other sizes, the 'l' models have vga and hdmi, the 'm' models have vga and dvi.

the 27 inch version has vga, dvi, and hdmi. for the other sizes, the 'l' models have vga and hdmi, the 'm' models have vga and dvi.

Ah, I missed the 'm' model....

....that still just feels kind of weird. It doesn't make sense that DVI at the very minimum is not a constant...at least it doesn't make sense to me :confused:

I called Dell to try and get a discount since they allegedly might give them if you ask, but their rep said no. Supposed to be here by the 28th, but I won't be able to do anything until the 1st. Total for the S2740L was 458$ Canadian.

Would any one be interested in buying mine after I'm done with it (if it is good) 2-3 weeks after I've finished with it? I will exchange it until I get a perfect one, basically you will avoid the hassle of dealing with IPS lottery, pay the normal price+shipping and you will end up with a defect free, properly calibrated display (via OSD) as well as an ICC profile

Last edited:
I called Dell to try and get a discount since they allegedly might give them if you ask, but their rep said no. Supposed to be here by the 28th, but I won't be able to do anything until the 1st. Total was 458$ Canadian.

Would any one be interested in buying mine after I'm done with it (if it is good) 2-3 weeks after I've finished with it? I will exchange it until I get a perfect one, basically you will avoid the hassle of dealing with IPS lottery, pay the normal price+shipping and you will end up with a defect free, properly calibrated display (via OSD) as well as an ICC profile

I think it would help if you told us which model you bought. :)

I feel like this is the longest there has not been an active dell.ca coupon I can not buy anything from dell even on sale without at least adding an additional 10% off coupon.

I got the monitor delivered today. TO bad I'm at work until 4 pm. The box is pretty dam big though

Looking forward to reviews of these glossy screens. Im sitting on a glossy Dell st2220t 21.5" which is a little small for my taste. Are the 23" version of this series glossy too, or is it just the 27-24"? Kinda strange that they dont have a 24" IPS glossy screen. That would be perfect. :)

Back