• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Dell Precision 690 PSU

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
2FA
Joined
Apr 7, 2006
Messages
10,477
I have a Precision 690 with the 750w PSU.

I am wondering if this will be good enough to power my GTX 295?
Also do I need to connect both the 6pin and the 8 pin?
 
Who's the manufacturer of that "750W" PSU?
What's the total combined amperage or wattage on the +12V rail?
What are the specs of your Dell 690?
 
Who's the manufacturer of that "750W" PSU?
What's the total combined amperage or wattage on the +12V rail?
What are the specs of your Dell 690?

Manufacturer I have no Idea....heres a pic of the sticker on the PSU
DSC08359w.jpg


heres my specs:
Workstation - 2xQuad Core Intel Xeon E5320\\22Gb DDR2 667Mhz FBDimm\\2x146Gb Seagate Cheetah 15k SAS RAID0 Boot\\2xWD3000BLFS RAID0\\2xWD64000AAKS RAID0\\Windows Vista Ultimate x64
 
You need the 1k version, you have the 750 right now. I had to upgrade once I went above 20gigs ram with Dual quad E5340's.
 
Its a Newton Power product interesting.

Never even heard of Newton Power before this thread. Do they make workstation/server class PSUs only?

Anyway OP, assuming that my math is right and assuming Newton makes decent PSUs, that 750W PSU should be enough.
 
Yea ive been doing some calculations myself, and it seems that I have enough raw power but im going to have to make my own wiring harness.

What is difference btwn 8 pin and 6 pin? whats the point?
Could I just use 2x6pin connectors instead?
 
Could I just use 2x6pin connectors instead?

No, you need the 8-pin. It adds two extra ground wires so the connector can provide more power. If you don't have an 8-pin, then just use a molex to 8-pin or 6-pin to 8-pin adapter.
 
Never even heard of Newton Power before this thread. Do they make workstation/server class PSUs only?

Anyway OP, assuming that my math is right and assuming Newton makes decent PSUs, that 750W PSU should be enough.

They provide a lot of units to PC OEMS, but the only time I have seen them personally was as dead pulls from Gateways.
 
Do you guys think that my dell 690 PSU will work on a standard ATX board?

I know some dell PSU's are proprietary but from first glance this seems standard. I have a PCP&C 750w I could swap out.
 
Do you guys think that my dell 690 PSU will work on a standard ATX board?

I know some dell PSU's are proprietary but from first glance this seems standard. I have a PCP&C 750w I could swap out.

The Dell N750P and N1000P both have 24 pin and 20 pin connectors, not sure if the precision board requires both, I can't see much with the memory risers in there...
 
How can i figure out what wire leads are on what rail?
 
Well my PSU has 4 12v rails.
How do I know which set of wires is on what rail?
 
Well my PSU has 4 12v rails.
How do I know which set of wires is on what rail?

Well most companies color code which 12v rail feeds which connector. Some don't and some do it wrong.

Otherwise you can crack the unit open and trace the wires back the PCB.
 
Back
Top