Dell Phasing Out XPS Gaming Systems

HardOCP News

[H] News
A Wall Street Journal report claims that Dell is phasing out its XPS line of gaming PCs. The main reason given is that the XPS line was eating into sales of its high-end Alienware systems.

This will effectively leave Alienware as the sole high-end PC game offering from Dell which acquired the Miami-based game system maker in 2006. Dell's XPS game PC line "ate into" Alienware sales, according to the report.

We’ve had plenty of experience with Alienware PCs and Dell’s Dimension line and XPS H2C line and it has always been fairly obvious that they woud eventually eat into each others sales.

I have always wondered why they have two lines competing against each other.

meh, I would rather have XPS etched on my laptop than the head of an alien. The Alienware design feels too much of a toy than a laptop computer.

Agreed, I always thought the XPS line looked a lot better than the alienware line. Pity, this, then.

If I were ever to buy a Dell laptop or desktop it would have been an XPS model. I've never looked at the Alienware products and said "I want that". Just not my style. I knew this would eventually happen.

this is disappointing, especially with how much you overpay for alienware hardware compared to XPS stuff....

I agree with the previous posts. I could bring an XPS system into a meeting and still look professional. I'd never bring a laptop with an Alien head on the top to a board meeting.

Stupid move on Dell's part. I know people buy more XPS stuff than Alienware. I don't even know anyone that has an Alienware.... XPS looks a lot more sleek.

What a stupid move, way to shoot themselves in the foot. Plus, what's bad about a little in company competition, much like GM vs. Chevy?

Makes sense. They bought Alienware for their name and the two essentially compete against each other. So now the Dellienware's will be their gaming systems and the XPS will go away. (It wasn't the equal of the Alienware anyway from what I recall.)

With a little market research and some common sense, maybe dell will bring over the XPS designs to alienware

With a little market research and some common sense, maybe dell will bring over the XPS designs to alienware

I would imagine that's what they'll do. They've got a production line set up for XPS stuff, how hard could it be to change the XPS logo to Alienware?

I still wouldn't take it to a professional meeting. The drone from the fans in Alienware systems is obnoxiously loud.

This would only be a good thing if they keep the XPS hardware and just rebrand it as Alienware.

There's a reason the XPS line outsold the Alienware name so much. Alienware's stuff has always been stupidly, stupidly expensive, and it's always been ironically marketed most towards the people who would best understand just how stupid they would have to be to pay a 300% premium for a gaudy custom case.

This would only be a good thing if they keep the XPS hardware and just rebrand it as Alienware.

There's a reason the XPS line outsold the Alienware name so much. Alienware's stuff has always been stupidly, stupidly expensive, and it's always been ironically marketed most towards the people who would best understand just how stupid they would have to be to pay a 300% premium for a gaudy custom case.

I don't think the premium comes from the gaudy case, but the fact that despite how ugly Alienwares are, they ARE one of the more customizable laptops in the world, not to mention they go beyond what fast laptops normally would be (e.g; SLI in a laptop). Alienware was a great trend setter in it's day.

that's a damn shame. I love my xps1330, and I would never, EVER buy an alienware laptop. That alien head just looks childish and unprofessional :(

that's a damn shame. I love my xps1330, and I would never, EVER buy an alienware laptop. That alien head just looks childish and unprofessional :(

man, I just realized I said I'd never buy a product because of the logo. That really says something about the logo, doesn't it?

this is disappointing, especially with how much you overpay for alienware hardware compared to XPS stuff....

The XPS systems aren't exactly cheap,either,not when you compare the prices to some boutique builders.Dell's mass market plain vanilla systems are cheap,but when you get into the real high performance models the prices go way up.And neither of them are exactly high on the list for customer support.

Agreed, I always thought the XPS line looked a lot better than the alienware line. Pity, this, then.

I agree, I've purchased 3 xps laptops for clients and they are superb machines. I could never recommend a client buys an alienware.

If dell just rebrand them thats fine, but keep the alienware tacky away please.

Dell is barely hanging on and they do this. I have a feeling this will be the final straw that bankrupts them.

Dell is barely hanging on and they do this. I have a feeling this will be the final straw that bankrupts them.

They're in a rut at the moment, but I don't think they're going out of business any time soon.

I own an XPS laptop... just got it recently. I don't think the XPS ate into alienware much, because if the XPS didn't exist I still wouldn't have bought an alienware. It's just WAY too expensive to buy that stuff. Overpriced, silly looking, etc etc. my XPS 1530 is sleek. i like it.

remember when it was cool to have an alienware pc? oh wait it never was. :p

bad move dell. :(

Surprised to see everyone on the same page here. I have owned 2 XPS gaming systems and have enjoyed them immensly. I never considered the Alienwares because of the rediculous prices and plastic gimmicky cases. In my experience, the pastic molded cases just don't hold up. My last two systems I built, but I was actually looking at getting another XPS for my wife since her system is getting up there in age and I didn't want to have to mess with assembling another system.

remember when it was cool to have an alienware pc? oh wait it never was. :p

bad move dell. :(

Yeah I have a feeling they are going to kill their own company off. How many people do you know that was going to buy a Dell, wasn't going to get a XPS? I have a feeling they just lost the majority of their higher end customer base.

Alienware is the only PC company I know of that charges more for hardware than Apple. I don't see many, Dell Purchasers, rushing to Alienware for a gaming PC.

Alienware is the only PC company I know of that charges more for hardware than Apple. I don't see many, Dell Purchasers, rushing to Alienware for a gaming PC.

Agreed. The XPS was always better priced and it wasn't as hideous to look at. However the markup for hardware from nearly all the high end PC builders and OEMs are just insane anyway. Alienware being the worst. Let's hope that Dell streamlines Alienware to make things more profitable and their machines more attractive to people.

Business and consumer laptops is where dell makes the money they need to survive, not selling gaming laptops. While it's arguable that this is a good decision, I don't think it will merit any major consequences.

Business and consumer laptops is where dell makes the money they need to survive, not selling gaming laptops. While it's arguable that this is a good decision, I don't think it will merit any major consequences.

Agreed. The XPS line is far from Dell's bread and butter and they have been cutting costs lately.

Agreed. The XPS line is far from Dell's bread and butter and they have been cutting costs lately.

That doesn't mean though that if they cancel XPS, their business and consumer profits would go up. It would have been smarter to ditch alien ware and call it a loss. They should concentrate more on outselling HP. For some reason I like HP more, just cause of the better looking cases. Cases seem to go along way.

That doesn't mean though that if they cancel XPS, their business and consumer profits would go up. It would have been smarter to ditch alien ware and call it a loss. They should concentrate more on outselling HP. For some reason I like HP more, just cause of the better looking cases. Cases seem to go along way.

Cacelling the XPS line means they can cut costs of marketing and cut costs of assembly and development. So while their profits don't go up exactly, their operating costs go down which actually improves profitability in the long run.

I liked the XPS line options alot better then alienware, I bout the XPS Gen2 laptop a ways back with the 6800ultra and upgraded it to the 7800, man I love that laptop and love the way it looks too.

Alienware didn't please me really with their options (or lackthere of good ones) and way over pricing of products.

Alienware's support (and quality) blows. I've had nothing but bad experiences. I recognize that others may have had better luck with them but this looks like a bad move.

I first bought an Alienware in 1999 when I started college, and back then Alienware was pretty much one of the top botiques with probably Falcon-NW. Wire management, etc was all pretty "new" ideas to the common consumer, and their support was awesome. I bought a second Alienware in 2005 and the experience was downhill, terrible support, and super overpriced.

Dell has been good to us when we use them at work, but the closest I have owned to a Dell gaming system is my Dad's 420, and thats a pretty nice machine for the price.

This is a pretty stupid move however, considering MANY people hate Alienware just because of their ridiculous prices. If anything they will lose more customers because of this. Dell XPS deals with coupons destroy Alienwares 5 percent student discount. Not to mention they charge you absorbant shipping costs even when you spend $5k for an overpriced machine.

Would you look at this. I've been saving to get me a 1530 (Which today has an $540 discount) for a while, and now we get this. I'll guess I'll end up going with Velocity Micro then.

Oh man, as much I criticize the XPS line, the Alienwares are 100000 times worse. They are the epitome of cheap plasticy crap. That they are so poorly designed and put together is just additional pain on top of the outrageous prices.

Have you looked at the HP Blackbird? I've seen them in person and the case is one of the best I have ever seen (if I could buy it seperately I would), but the prices are absofrickinglutely through the roof.

Alienware suck for online support, worked on a customers rig that happened to be an alienware piece of tat...you have to have a paid subscription to gain access to the drivers:mad:

Fortunately I was able to pull most of the drivers from driversguide, whereas the dell drivers are freely accessible from the site regardless of if the system was $60 or $6000.

Back