Dell p2416d pivoting 24" 1440p

geok1ng

2[H]4U
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9140/dell-announces-mainstream-2560x1440-p2416d-display

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=hk&cs=hkdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&sku=391-BCCQ

Now the upcoming Benq 2420 has a mean competitor.

My observations:

This one has VGA input. not sure where a buyer on 2015 will find a graphics card capable of driving 2560x14440 60Hz using VGA, but it is nice to have the option for older laptops.
having VGA also implies that it uses a main different from the 2515h, which is a class 1 device when it comes to input lag. Will Dell be able to keep the low input lag with the new board?

USB 2.0 hub in ancient:(

If it was 144hz or Gsync I would buy it.......

I second that: 24" 1440p is a very attractive format for multi-monitor gaming. Both acer and asus have a 27" 1440 high refresh monitor AND a 25" 1440p monitor. So it is only a matter of slapping the 27" gamer board on the 24-25" screen and sell like hotdogs:D

Would definitely do a surround setup with something like this if it had gsync

My thoughts on this monitor's inclusion of VGA:

It is good that this monitor has VGA. For displays capabe of taking direct analog signals (e.g: CRT, Laser Projector), VGA is one of the best connectors, second only to BNC. Even on a LCD that is just translating the analog signal to a digital one, VGA is only surpassed in performance by DVI. It still performs much better than HDMI and is about equal to the latest displayports in max bandwidth. Unlike DP, DVI, or HDMI, VGA is not encumbered with harmful DRM schemes such as HDCP.

All currently-produced high-quality graphics cards have RAMDACs supporting, at the bare minimum, 2560x1440 at 60Hz with zero degradation. I used to run crystal-clear, degradation-free 2560x1920@60 through my two 980 Classifieds. Heck, even my current system's 10-year-old 7800 GTX 512 will output 3840x2880@40 with very little degradation. The only problem with VGA compatibility is the fact that a lot of people by crap, low-quality graphics cards (e.g: R9 285, R9 290, R9 290X, R9 295X2, almost certainly the R9 390 and R9 390X) that do not contain support any sort of analog output. If a card doesn't natively have analog output, there is currently no other way to get it in any sort of usable quality. Active adapters totally stop working past 1600x1000@79 and even at that measly low resolution, they have some visible degradation. If you want to use a high-quality monitor or VGA LCD at any sort of respectable resolution/refresh rate, you must also own a high-quality graphics card (e.g: R9 265, R9 270, R9 270X, R9 280, R9 280X, GTX 960, GTX 970, GTX 980, Titan X).

While the analog->digital conversion does add a slight bit of input lag, it is miniscule. If someone is picky enough to worry about the input lag that the analog->digital conversion would add, they should not be using a LCD in the first place, as pixel response times add much more to total input lag than a correctly-performed analig-to-digital conveesion

I am not sure i get your point. much less if i can agree with anything you just said.

1- This monitor having VGA is only useful for someone with an old laptop and no digital connection.
2-As you said, suing VGA adds some degree of signal procesing and lag to the monitor
3- as i fear, having VGA raises the question og wheter or not this monitor will match the perfomance of the 2515h, because it implies that it uses another noard.

4- i completely fail to see what relevance the lack of DVI-I or VGA on some cards has to do with this thread. no one will use VGA on this, or any other LCD, unless forced to.

I am not sure i get your point. much less if i can agree with anything you just said.

1- This monitor having VGA is only useful for someone with an old laptop and no digital connection.
2-As you said, suing VGA adds some degree of signal procesing and lag to the monitor
3- as i fear, having VGA raises the question og wheter or not this monitor will match the perfomance of the 2515h, because it implies that it uses another noard.

4- i completely fail to see what relevance the lack of DVI-I or VGA on some cards has to do with this thread. no one will use VGA on this, or any other LCD, unless forced to.

Lots of people have laptops without the right connections. The biggest culprit is HDMI which IS a digital connection that is not able to output 2560x1440 at 60hz up until very recently. For a little while I had the same resolution monitor and I was waiting for a DP cable to come in and I ran the full resolution fine over VGA because my laptop which has a in i7 3610 to put the time frame in reference could not output the resolution over HDMI. And at the time I bought my laptop a ton of laptops still were not shipping with display port. You are right no one will use it unless forced to and believe it not there are many people that will be forced to.

Many laptops do not have DVI or Display port. Most only have HDMI, which is by far the worst connector in existence, or VGA. VGA can drive infinite bandwidth. HDMI can't even handle 2560x1440@60Hz.

HDMI *can* handle 2560x1440@60Hz. It's had enough bandwidth to do it since Version 1.3 in 2006.

The problem has been lack of "official" resolution support above 1920x1080. HDMI Forum has just been sitting around playing with themselves while HDMI became a common standard on PCs. They still refused to make any official push for resolutions above 1080p, so all that bandwidth sat around doing nothing. Most monitor makers refused to support HDMI 1.3 on their 1440p/1600p monitors, no surprise after the forum made zero push.

Yeah, so until the bullshit with HDMI gets fixed, or it gets replaced by DisplayPort you'll want VGA as a fallback.

it would make an interesting poll.

-X is about to make a new display with an unheard before combination of size/resolution. If adding VGA will make the monitor 1ms slower and add $1 to the cost would you:

A-pick the VGA version!

B- pick the cheaper and faster monitor?

Personally i tend towards B :(

Only if you are using VGA. If you use a digital input, having the unused VGA port will have zero impact on performance.

zero is a ungrounded conclusion, as every 1440p panel i know is slower when coupled with a multi-input board.

first review is out, use google translate.

good news all around: comes factory calibrated like the 2515h, keeps the 1:1000 contrast at 120cd/m² luminance and the reviewer did not felt forced to use scaling to read text at native resolution.

Price has fallen to 236 euros :) which is " shut up and take my money" territory

the reviewer did not felt forced to use scaling to read text at native resolution.

How? 0.o
I cant use my u2515h without scaling, and its a little bigger. Or about 90% of the websites need to be enlarged in chrome to 150%.

Last edited:
How? 0.o
I cant use my u2515h without scaling, and its a little bigger. Or about 90% of the websites need to be enlarged in chrome to 150%.

don't ask me:(. at 41y old, with "short arm disease" i can read 8pt fonts on my u2515h.

Finally available on Dell US .

At $369 it is much more expensive than the price in japan, 30000 yens or europe, 240 euros. But Dell US has many discount coupons and sales.Problem is the u2515h has been on sale at $359 at least on 2 occasions, making the initial asked price a tough pill to swallow.

Last edited:
I'm hesitating between this and the U2515h

i was excited when news of the P2416D come out. But once dimensions were revealed on dell website, much of the desire went away.

It is possible to compare directly at Dell.

Heigh 335.1 mm (13.19") vs 338.7mm (13.33")
Width 565.6 mm (22.27") vs 569.0mm (22.40")
Weight 3.58 kg (7.88 lb) vs 4.4 kg (9.64 lb)

As the dimensions tell, the U2515H fits a 25" diagonal inside a shell that is only marginally larger than the P2416D.

U2515H has DP out, so it is compatible out of the box with daisy-chained setups. There is no mention of Dell sound bar compatibility on the P2416D spec sheet.

After crunching all numbers, there is no usage scenario where i would recommend the P2416D over the U2515H. Which is fortunate because i was thinking about selling my U2515H and grabbing triple P2416D. But now i know that i will gain only 0.24" height and 0.39" Width on the overall triple monitor setup. This before i consider that the P2416D setup will have proportionally thicker bezels.

Even if one lives in UK, where the P2416D costs only L$210 the U2515H sells for a bargain L$249

I believe that the P2416D prize reflects the new product status and will adjust accordingly. meanwhile it is cheaper for US consumers to buy U2515h's from amazon UK and pay shipping costs.:eek:than purchase from Dell US.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Uhh, bump. Does anyone own this monitor?
I found one review on PCMonitors but otherwise radio silence. I see it's only about $280 on Amazon which seems like a good deal.

I've got one of these at work. Just use it for boring stuff like browsing the internet, Office etc. but it works nicely and is cracking value for money. The pixel density is really nice in my opinion.

Just got mine in.
No backlight bleed, no dead pixels, slight yellow tint on the left 1/3 of the panel but nothing serious. AG coating seems a bit lighter than the other recent U-Series monitors. It also came packaged differently than my other U & P Series monitors.

Default gamma is a clean 2.2, I had to turn down Red & Green by about 3 points on the default color profile (slightly yellow tint).

Dell finally added an Overdrive setting, Fast vs Normal. It seems Fast adds black ghosting from overshoot so Normal is actually better.
I'll have more feedback once I can inspect the panel more over the next day or two.

Over the last 2 weeks I've bought and returned 4 different Dell IPS monitors and this is by far the best across the board. AU Optronics vs LG, I suppose.

edit: Scratch that, the monitor suffers from almost immediate burn-in. I had my wallpaper up for maybe 5 minutes, and now on light colors I can see a weird wavy pattern in the shape of my desktop across about HALF of the screen. Wow.

RevA00 March 2015.

Last edited:
getting delivery tomorrow and I cant wait.

The resolution on it being a 24" should be incredible.

Ill post my findings next couple of days.

Replacement came in, panel is even better than the last one.
Still suffers from the same burn-in issue.

Rev A00 May 2015.

Contacted Amazon, they bumped my next replacement to 1-day shipping to compensate. At this point it seems the panel series just suffers from excessive burn-in. If the 3rd monitor has the same problem I'll just get a refund and move on, and make sure Amazon is aware of the problem. I might also contact Dell.

Last edited:
Final update for anyone else who stumbles across this thread.
3rd monitor arrived, same burn-in issue as the past two.

Rev A00 May 2015.

All 3 monitors had 1 dead/stuck pixel, 2 of them had dust under the panel as well, and 1 of them had a hole in the AG coating which made a pea-sized white dot on the screen.

If you can tolerate the burn-in problems (which are actually very minor imo) then it's a beautiful panel. Unquestionably the best IPS I've ever seen. Hopefully future IPS monitors can start looking this good.

Due to the flaws, I ended up returning all 3.

Last edited:
Back