Dell LCD for Photo/Graphics Work

Citizen86

Supreme [H]ardness
So I'm living south of the border, Mexico, and I've been doing Photoshop/Illustrator work on my laptop for the last year. I do a lot of labels for fresh/frozen foods and some website work as well, along with other graphics type work. I'm thinking it's about time I get a color accurate monitor though, as the colors on my Gateway FX laptop obviously aren't very good for this work.

Unfortunately, I probably don't have much options of buying in the States, since it's a hassle to bring it down and I nor much of my family or friends are going back anytime soon, so that leaves me with few options. Dell does have basically all of their screens available for sale here though.

So I'm thinking I'll probably need to get a Dell, since there just isn't a huge selection of GOOD monitors available here. Definitely not locally. So what would you guys suggest for this?

I'm open to any price range, as the company will probably take care most of it, but I'm going to have it hooked up to my laptop which has HDMI out and VGA. I figure worst case scenario there is only DVI in and I can use an HDMI to DVI cable.

I'm thinking of the new Dell 2209WA. I should read through the big thread here but haven't had time. Seems like a good budget monitor though. I would love to get, say the 3007, but that's probably too pricey, and I don't think my HDMI out can handle the resolution. Don't know if it's been tested though.

So, suggestions?

I used to hate LCD's for GD (graphic design) work until about 3 years ago when my boss got me a new workstation with a 21 LCD. The early LCD's weren't great, but newer ones I've been impressed as of late. I used to love CRT's, but they do dim and cannot be adjusted to "spec" after a while. I had two that slowly went out like this. In fact I just got rid of a great Dell 19" that I got from an Architect I do work for a few months back.

I have a calibrator and that make a huge difference. Its not longer made under the original company, but is now resold as something else. I got an Xrite Monaco Optix XR. Its a colorimeter that helps you adjust your monitor. 4+ years old, but still works! Its money well spent if your serious about GD work. Fresh Pantone books help also, but I hate paying for them.

I personally can't recommend you a model LCD, but the calibrator does make a difference in brightness/contrast and color if its way off. HDMI really helps sharpen things, trust me on this.

i suggest a Dell UltraSharp, if the 30" is out of range then go 27" or maybe even the 24". just make sure it is the UltraSharp and not the consumer level

So I'm living south of the border, Mexico, and I've been doing Photoshop/Illustrator work on my laptop for the last year. I do a lot of labels for fresh/frozen foods and some website work as well, along with other graphics type work. I'm thinking it's about time I get a color accurate monitor though, as the colors on my Gateway FX laptop obviously aren't very good for this work.

Unfortunately, I probably don't have much options of buying in the States, since it's a hassle to bring it down and I nor much of my family or friends are going back anytime soon, so that leaves me with few options. Dell does have basically all of their screens available for sale here though.

So I'm thinking I'll probably need to get a Dell, since there just isn't a huge selection of GOOD monitors available here. Definitely not locally. So what would you guys suggest for this?

I'm open to any price range, as the company will probably take care most of it, but I'm going to have it hooked up to my laptop which has HDMI out and VGA. I figure worst case scenario there is only DVI in and I can use an HDMI to DVI cable.

I'm thinking of the new Dell 2209WA. I should read through the big thread here but haven't had time. Seems like a good budget monitor though. I would love to get, say the 3007, but that's probably too pricey, and I don't think my HDMI out can handle the resolution. Don't know if it's been tested though.

So, suggestions?

It's a good screen for what you want. So far the only issue has been a slight non-uniformity of the backlight. Otherwise it has pretty good color out of the box and can be calibrated to excellent color accuracy.

It's a good screen for what you want. So far the only issue has been a slight non-uniformity of the backlight. Otherwise it has pretty good color out of the box and can be calibrated to excellent color accuracy.

You're referring to the 2209WA, correct?

And thanks everyone for your input. I knew I would need to get a color calibrator for this as well, just haven't looked for it yet. I'll have to see what's available.

You're referring to the 2209WA, correct?

And thanks everyone for your input. I knew I would need to get a color calibrator for this as well, just haven't looked for it yet. I'll have to see what's available.

Yep. So far I'm liking mine. The Eye One Display 2 or Display LT are good quality colorimeters for the price. They come with Eye One Match software which is better than the Datacolor Spyder stuff.

Yep. So far I'm liking mine. The Eye One Display 2 or Display LT are good quality colorimeters for the price. They come with Eye One Match software which is better than the Datacolor Spyder stuff.

Thanks, I'll do a search for the Eye One.

Back