Dell Is Back

Inspiron 8200 was a phenomenal laptop in 2002. Absolutely phenomenal. It was snappy, the CPU and graphics performance were great, and so was the screen. Loved that computer. I "upgraded" to another dell in 2006 and was disappointed at the reduction in build quality.

2002 was about the tail end for domestic OEMs using a majority of US labor and facilities for manufacturing and QA testing. After that, they moved it all to mostly Mexico and China for Foxconn or Asus channel partner services. The difference in quality is night and day, sadly.

2002 was about the tail end for domestic OEMs using a majority of US labor and facilities for manufacturing and QA testing. After that, they moved it all to mostly Mexico and China for Foxconn or Asus channel partner services. The difference in quality is night and day, sadly.

#antinationalism. Aren't we all delighted that globalism has been such a resounding success?

Dell is used world wide. By most governments and military. Big and small businesses.

I would say its pretty much top dog. No government or big business would touch Sager or Clevo or Asus because they cant match the volume Dell produces.

Dell is used world wide. By most governments and military. Big and small businesses.

I would say its pretty much top dog. No government or big business would touch Sager or Clevo or Asus because they cant match the volume Dell produces.

Well in all fairness, when one buys a Dell (or any other OEM), chances are good they are technically getting a system designed in part by and completely built by Asus (or Foxconn)...

Dell equals amazing support, even here. It you need reliability so much as to pay for it, it's by far the best choice.
When I had my Dell workstation(s), they were super quick, no-questions-asked, with replacement stuff. So I recommended Dell to the company I worked for(they bought 10 workstations), in turn Dell gave me 40% off my CRT monitor, speakers and keyboard.

If I HAD to buy a new workstation or PC, it would be from Dell or Apple.

Were they ever gone? We've bought a couple of cheap Inspirons for home and they've been rock solid. Also, on the business side, Dell bought SonicWall and those are solid as well.

I remember buying a Dell i9300 for around $1000 then sinking around $700 into it with an upgraded GPU, HDD and additional RAM. It had a Dothan based Intel chip that I pinmodded to 2.4Ghz, 7800 GTX Go GPU, 4GB of DDR2 533 and a 100GB 7200 RPM HDD. Was one helluva rig for $1700 after all was said and done. I also sold the used RAM, HDD and old video card to recover a portion of my $1700 costs...

I've been waiting for the Dell XPS 13 i7 to go to about $1000 before buying it and it hasn't happened yet :(

Back