Dell H310 flashed to IT mode - Windows 10 drivers / software?

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by djlenoir, Oct 3, 2018.

1. djlenoir

djlenoir Limp Gawd

I am sure someone else on here has owned a Dell H310 that they flashed to IT mode to lok like a regular LSI HBA adapter. I followed a couple of guides on the internet and flashed it to IT mode fine. I popped it into a Windows 10 machine with a couple of SAS to 4xSATA cables and have six WD Reds attached. It looks like it is working fine, and I see the drives, but I am curious what drivers and software I should be using? It automatically installed this driver, but no utilities.

Storage controllers
    Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA
    Driver Provider : LSI
    Driver Version : 2.0.79.82

Does this look right? Shouldn't it identify as an LSI after this update?

2. kirbyrj

kirbyrj Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

I don't think it will look like an LSI controller unless you flash LSI firmware to it. IT mode just lets you use JBOD and non-RAID modes IIRC.

3. djlenoir

djlenoir Limp Gawd

The guide I followed did not have me flash the LSI firmware. I read something else that mentioned this, but have not found a guide to flashing the LSI firmware yet. Any pointers, or know of a guide to accomplish this?

Assuming I am able to get this done, do you know what the best Windows 10 driver is and what management software should I install, if any?

4. kirbyrj

kirbyrj Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

I don't know for sure if that controller is 1:1 compatible with LSI firmware. I mean as long as it works with the current firmware in IT mode, I personally wouldn't screw around with it. I know it was possible with some of the older cards (9211 based cards like the IBM card). I flashed IT mode onto mine and then didn't change anything else.

As for drivers and management, I never played around with my 9211 card. As long as Windows 10 sees the drives and I can use them in IT mode, I didn't play around with it too much. It's just controls the drives in my Plex server.

Someone else around here might be able to give you better answers than me ;).

5. mwarps

mwarps [H]ardForum Junkie

Unless you zero'd out the vendor tag, it's going to still say Dell.

There is no software for the card, as it's just a dumb HBA now. Driver's fine as is.

6. djlenoir

djlenoir Limp Gawd

Thanks for the input. It sounds like there is no benefit for me to go any further with updating the firmware. It is working, so I will just leave well enough alone.