Dell Censors Panel lottery info. Share info here.

Just spent another 90 minutes making calls to Dell and PayPal trying to get money back for monitor bought Nov 17th and returned Dec 15th (after waiting a couple weeks for Dell to send me shipiing labels they always neglected to send). For last 3 weeks Dell tells me they approved credit and sent it to PayPal - then PayPal (3 calls) says they haven't heard anything from Dell. They say they don't even show anything pending and that I should call Dell. Soooo - I call Dell who asks me if I have contacted Paypal lol. So I got a Dell supervisor and she says (surprise) a service associate made a mistake and they have sent a new e-mail to billing (Okay I know people make mistakes but this is like the 20th one).

To anyone thinking of buying from Hell - erm - Dell I would advise not using Paypal and making sure Dell has your correct e-mail (make them read it back to you) because they have had mine wrong 2 times already.

To anyone thinking of buying from Hell - erm - Dell I would advise not using Paypal and making sure Dell has your correct e-mail (make them read it back to you) because they have had mine wrong 2 times already.

Oh dear.... That reminds me of an old wallpaper - Easy as Hell with dellish-style. (it was on dell server)

I just had a giant ROFL reading post 1 of this thread. In fact I can't stop laughing. That's totally hilarious that Dell would switch out the panel to something cheaper after the reviews are done. Sad, really. Being a business major I can't believe that they haven't been sued over this.

My god. :mad:

being a business major then you should know the very grey area alot of business can and will operate within. Dell uses some very clever language and has some very meticulously covered methods to avoid such lawsuits.

teaching ethics is a new trend in many collegiate bachelor of science business programs, part of that is understanding not just those that don't get away with blatant malpractice such as Enron and Worldcom, but those that either are clever enough to get away with it, or simply are operating in an area that's not blatant enough.

being a business major then you should know the very grey area alot of business can and will operate within. Dell uses some very clever language and has some very meticulously covered methods to avoid such lawsuits.

teaching ethics is a new trend in many collegiate bachelor of science business programs, part of that is understanding not just those that don't get away with blatant malpractice such as Enron and Worldcom, but those that either are clever enough to get away with it, or simply are operating in an area that's not blatant enough.

Most of my time not reading business I read stuff on NWO and illuminati so yeah, I know about it. It's not a grey area. It's a misstatement of a material fact. That's very basic business law. :eek:

no, it's a misstatment of a nonmaterial fact, they never say it was an IPS panel and they cleverly made it so what they said could apply to either one in the raw specs (with one glaring ommision), and thats how they get away with it and that is why it is a very grey area, you can use as many "basic business" legal terms and business education factoids as you want but the unfortunate reality is that what they are doing, while wrong for the consumer, is not fully illegal since they make no "factual" statements about which panel they use.

again, it's annoying but nonetheless Dell has been very clear with their "language" on the matter, which is very important if you're going to take a grey situation and try and make it black and white. with the exception of the viewing angle spec being for IPS (and has yet to be removed so they will once again be willfully free of responsbility) they are indeed in a grey area.

in dells case, they only list the raw specs that can be met by both panels and while the initial decision to choose who they buy from was where the folly lies, everything after that is beleivably beyond most peoples control, they cant track which suppliers panels are in what 2007wfp or which is which or even stop it aside from reversing their decision of who they buy from, which they may have done at this point considering the all IPS panels out now.

Sure, they do perform differently but none of those determinates were listed as part of the promised specs hence the puppeteer Chris's assurances of "a 2007 is a 2007" and "all the monitors perform the same in the specs that "we promise" ".

you can yell legal shenanigans until you're blue in the face, but the best kind of legal action that will come out of this is one of those giant suits you occasionaly hear about on hardocp where the company has to make good with its customers within a certain range of purchase periods, often not the most groundbreaking legal misnomer but more of a concession for not handling things as well as they should have.

I just recieved my Dell 2007FPW from the Nashville shipping center, and it is a PM330. I am slightly disappointed with recieving a SPVA, though comparing it to my four year old VX900 Viewsonic I am impressed with the quality of the image, and the pure whites. I noticed that the image does not white out when viewing from an angle, as some have shown on their Dell moniters. Right now I am not sure if I am going to keep, or trade it in for a 24", still it but it is a nice moniter for the money.

I just recieved my Dell 2007FPW from the Nashville shipping center, and it is a PM330. I am slightly disappointed with recieving a SPVA, though comparing it to my four year old VX900 Viewsonic I am impressed with the quality of the image, and the pure whites. I noticed that the image does not white out when viewing from an angle, as some have shown on their Dell moniters. Right now I am not sure if I am going to keep, or trade it in for a 24", still it but it is a nice moniter for the money.
Damn, you are the first one to report an S-PVA panel in quite a long time :(

Made in...?

Damn, you are the first one to report an S-PVA panel in quite a long time :(

Made in...?

Its made in Mexico January 2007 A03. It looks like Dell recently went back to the S-PVA panels, so I am not going to play any more of the Dell lottery. The moniter is going back for a refund. I just noitced some flickering on the right side of the screen, its not severe but distracting.

Its made in Mexico January 2007 A03. It looks like Dell recently went back to the S-PVA panels, so I am not going to play any more of the Dell lottery. The moniter is going back for a refund.
Yes, it seems everyone was buying the 2007WFP to get an S-IPS panel recently and in some of the factories(the first one reported is DELL's factory in Mexico as it seems) they switched to S-PVA panels.

Keep posting guys.We need to know from which factories they are stilling shipping S-IPS panels or switched to S-PVA.:rolleyes:

Yes, it seems everyone was buying the 2007WFP to get an S-IPS panel recently and in some of the factories(the first one reported is DELL's factory in Mexico as it seems) they switched to S-PVA panels.

Keep posting guys.We need to know from which factories they are stilling shipping S-IPS panels or switched to S-PVA.:rolleyes:

This is why Dell is the most frustrating place to get an LCD from. Some other companies ship different panels in different parts of the world, but Dell is the only one that I have heard of that switches back and forth between different panels almost randomly. Hence the lotto. So what is reviewed is not necessarily what you will get. Regardless of whether you even prefer S-IPS or PVA this is terrible behavior.

It would be like if Dell stopped telling people what CPU type you were going to get. They would just say 1.8GHz or greater clock speed CPU and ship you whatever was cheapest that week. AMD Semprons, Celerons, Pentium4s, AMD 64, core 2, though oddly when they get reviewed they would be using Intel Core 2.

Technically they are exploiting a legal grey area and it is up to us to be vigilant, so we don't get played. Safest would be to just not buy Dell.

It would be like if Dell stopped telling people what CPU type you were going to get. They would just say 1.8GHz or greater clock speed CPU and ship you whatever was cheapest that week. AMD Semprons, Celerons, Pentium4s, AMD 64, core 2, though oddly when they get reviewed they would be using Intel Core 2.

Didn't something similar to that actually happen? I remember reading about them being sued for using a slower CPU than specified in some notebooks.

I took delivery of my 3rd 2007wfp this morning and all of them have noticable backlight bleed in one corner. They are all RT803 (S-IPS according to the list) panels with no dead pixels. 1 has been returned, 1 is due to be collected for return and this latest one will probably be returned for a refund since I've decided that 3 monitors is enough to get the measure of the quality of monitor I will receive and I can't live with the backlight bleed on them.

I've also decided I don't like the matte/dust/anti-static finish on the screen, I keep wanting to get my microfibre cloth out and give it a good clean as it looks dusty :p

To Dell's credit they've been happy to keep sending the monitors to me and this latest one was sent overnight delivery as the 2nd monitor was held by the courier for 10 days before they delivered it, just in time for the 21 day no quibble period from shipping date to run out;) The previous two were declared "faulty" by Dell on the phone, email and invoice letter so I shall happily lose my delivery money and get a full refund since a manufacturing fault was discovered within 6 months of purchase :D

I'd like to be able to get a different monitor but the UK taxes on monitors means I'm only prepared to pay out when they're heavily discounted like when I bought mine. So much for 26" being the new 24" and 24" being the new 20" or whatever:rolleyes:

This is why Dell is the most frustrating place to get an LCD from. Some other companies ship different panels in different parts of the world, but Dell is the only one that I have heard of that switches back and forth between different panels almost randomly. Hence the lotto. So what is reviewed is not necessarily what you will get. Regardless of whether you even prefer S-IPS or PVA this is terrible behavior.
And it seems that buying from DELL is a lottery in every sense of the word.You may or may not receive a good quality monitor based on undetermined factors.:rolleyes: Some people love their 2007WFP and highly recommend it,while others send it back for a refund after receiving 3 defective monitors in a row.pxmm is not the only one with a similar story:confused:

I'm having second thoughts about the accuracy of the monitor reviews on the press or the internet.They failed to notice and warn people about the banding problems.I'm pretty certain, though, that every manufacturer makes pretty damn sure there aren't any problems with the monitor it is sending for a review.So i wouldn't trust them too much.

And it seems that DELL's only factory in Europe is the one in Czech Republic.

no, it's a misstatment of a nonmaterial fact ...

Why are people complaining if it's nonmaterial? :confused:

Btw I think you mean immaterial. :eek: ;)

Again, it's a misstatement of a material fact. If the IPS panel is a selling point and provides the marketers with adjectives to use in their sales points and if those adjectives induce a person to buy the monitor how can it not not be immaterial?

Again, it's a misstatement of a material fact. If the IPS panel is a selling point and provides the marketers with adjectives to use in their sales points and if those adjectives induce a person to buy the monitor how can it not not be immaterial?
Does DELL officially state anywhere that the panel of the 2007WFP is S-IPS?The answer is NO.The reviewers reported that the panel of the monitor they tested was S-IPS.

But DELL nowhere states that the monitor's panel is S-IPS.So officially DELL doesn't misstate a material fact.

Didn't something similar to that actually happen? I remember reading about them being sued for using a slower CPU than specified in some notebooks.

Dell was being sued by a group of people in China because they shipped them a bunch of laptops with a lower grade CPU. Dell said it was just a "mistake" (oops!). They were also getting sued by a couple in California but that was in 2005 and nothing has been in news about that suit since.

I don't think Dell is "criminal" per se. Thye have been advertising their moinitors as having 16ms response time when its been 8 according to maker. HP also switches parts and now doesn't directly say what panels are being used. I think many manufacturers swap things out pretty regularly.

I just think Dell is more like big dumb gorilla in a china shop. For along time people in their forums were posting about the S-IPS panel and good reviews etc so its not like there was a big trade secret about panels. That's not Dell's fault legally but they should be more aware since all these fiascos (and I incluse their deteriorating customer service) cost them purchases and re-ships etc. A good recent example of how out of touch they are was when they had up on their site a photo of the 27" display where the 2007wfp should have been. The Dell forums knew the next day but it took about 10 days to get photo taken down and corrected. Imagine people buying monitor for 10 days thinking they were getting component video hook-up (20" doesnt have any but 27" did).

I wouldn't discount that some Attorney General somewhere might want to take issue with Dell over this stuff someday. New York fined AOL for making it almost impossible to quit a subscription. When you have deep pockets the state and federal agencies can find some way to edge you into some form of penalty eventually. Of course the corporation just builds those fines into their prices.

Oh Man, I just pulled the trigger on this thing myself. I got it for 338 after coupons shipped. I will post what version I get. I need to do a search to figure that out though.

Yup, it's certainly the 2nd best 20" widescreen... assuming you get an s-ips panel which seems more than likely at this juncture.

lol, nonmaterial, immaterial, yeah either way, you are incorrect, and while i would say way, acguire has (yet again) explained why.

i dont support what dell is doing mind you, but just clarifying things for you, as one student to another.

Oh Man, I just pulled the trigger on this thing myself. I got it for 338 after coupons shipped. I will post what version I get. I need to do a search to figure that out though.

This is what I used to check a Dell 2007FP in a Dell store, I think it works for WFP too:

"To find out which version of the 2xx7 you have:

1- Turn off your screen
2- Press simultaneously the 'Menu' and '+' button of the screen.
3- While holding the 2 buttons, press now the 'Power' button.
4- Once the screen in ON, unpress the 3 buttons.
5- Just press '-' button.
"

Here's the page I got it from if you want to read a little more:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/dell_panel_lottery.htm

I took delivery of my 3rd 2007wfp this morning and all of them have noticable backlight bleed in one corner. They are all RT803 (S-IPS according to the list) panels with no dead pixels. 1 has been returned, 1 is due to be collected for return and this latest one will probably be returned for a refund since I've decided that 3 monitors is enough to get the measure of the quality of monitor I will receive and I can't live with the backlight bleed on them.

I've also decided I don't like the matte/dust/anti-static finish on the screen, I keep wanting to get my microfibre cloth out and give it a good clean as it looks dusty :p

If it's any consequence, you don't "see" the matte finish after a while. It's a Jedi mind trick, I guess, but until you mentioned it I'd completely forgotten about it since around the first week I started using the monitor.

I didn't realize it had anti-dust properties, but come to think of it, the screen certainly doesn't collect dust like CRTs do.

Under what circumstances is the backlight bleed visible? Only when you're on, say, a "blank" screen saver (when the screen is that non-black glowy black) or in everyday use in Windows?

I received my 2007WFP (A03 made in Czech Republic) two days ago (I live in Sweden by the way). It seems I got the one with the S-IPS panel (RT803, and black turn purple in wide viewing angles). I looks like there's something covering the screen, but the post above mine said you will stop noticing it, and I hope I do. It flickers like crazy on that test pattern, but I haven't noticed any in my everyday use, yet. And like people have said, it's mostly the left side that flickers, although the far right side seem to do it too.

Hopefully it will be fine, because my previous monitor was a Dell P991, and I don't want to go back to that huge thing. I have a lot more space on my desk now. I just hope the flickering isn't too big of an issue...

I received my 2007WFP (A03 made in Czech Republic) two days ago (I live in Sweden by the way). It seems I got the one with the S-IPS panel (RT803, and black turn purple in wide viewing angles).
Noone reported a 2007WFP with an S-PVA panel yet made in Czech Republic.Let's see for how long DELL monitors made in CZ will be shipped with S-IPS.

I'm waiting for mine to arrive:) I'm a bit worried to be honest after the first S-PVA panel spotted yesterday, even though it was made in Mexico.I hope the monitors made in CZ are still shipped with S-IPS.:rolleyes:

This is what I used to check a Dell 2007FP in a Dell store, I think it works for WFP too:

"To find out which version of the 2xx7 you have:

1- Turn off your screen
2- Press simultaneously the 'Menu' and '+' button of the screen.
3- While holding the 2 buttons, press now the 'Power' button.
4- Once the screen in ON, unpress the 3 buttons.
5- Just press '-' button.
"

Here's the page I got it from if you want to read a a little more:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/dell_panel_lottery.htm

Thanks I will do this and post, it has been shipped.

I ordered a 2007WFP last week. I received an LG S-IPS panel rev A03 made in Mexico. It looked great except there were several vertical stripes running from top to bottom on the right side of the screen. I called and they shipped a replacement overnight, and it is a rev A03 Samsung S-PVA panel, also made in Mexico.

So tonight I called Dell tech support. I ended up having to escalate the call to a manager because other than the fact that the replacement used a completely different panel technology than my first one, there is essentially no problem with it aside from moderate backlight bleed and one stuck pixel. The manager claims they can no longer get the same parts that were in my original panel. I asked for clarification between the types of panels and he indicated that the panel in my first monitor isn't available anymore. I'm not sure how true that is, but that's what he said.

I am taking my chances and having them ship me another monitor. The manager said it will be identical to the first replacement I received... which means another S-PVA panel. I'll post back here when I get it, which probably won't be for another week or so. They are going to wait til receiving my original monitor before sending the replacement.

If anyone is curious, I had a chance to run both monitors side-by-side for awhile. The S-IPS was sharper and had better colors. Whites look white on it, whereas they look somewhat dirty in comparison on the S-PVA panel. The only drawbacks I saw with the S-IPS panel were a slight screendoor effect, some flickering on dark greys, and shimmering on monitor test patterns. For me, the clarity and color reproduction far outweighed those negatives since they weren't noticable in most situations.

That doesnt sound good for me. Are there any other places in the US they are shipped from? Actually, the original poster said they were made in Mexico so I guess I should ask is there anywhere else they are made that ships to the US.

I'm not sure if I should be worried or not, that's rather interesting news. Someone should email him :p

Humm...maybe I can get him to send me back my $364.12 that Dell owes me for 6 weeks. He prolly quit when he heard I was pissed.

A couple snippet from an article:

"The question of how long Rollins would remain in the top job was asked frequently after Dell began disclosing a litany of problems beginning in late 2005. They included slowing revenue growth and, last year, accounting problems that have spurred investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Justice Department."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/4516709.html

I can attest to how messed-up Dell's accounting is so be careful

I ordered a 2007WFP last week. I received an LG S-IPS panel rev A03 made in Mexico. It looked great except there were several vertical stripes running from top to bottom on the right side of the screen. I called and they shipped a replacement overnight, and it is a rev A03 Samsung S-PVA panel, also made in Mexico.

So tonight I called Dell tech support. I ended up having to escalate the call to a manager because other than the fact that the replacement used a completely different panel technology than my first one, there is essentially no problem with it aside from moderate backlight bleed and one stuck pixel. The manager claims they can no longer get the same parts that were in my original panel. I asked for clarification between the types of panels and he indicated that the panel in my first monitor isn't available anymore. I'm not sure how true that is, but that's what he said.

I am taking my chances and having them ship me another monitor. The manager said it will be identical to the first replacement I received... which means another S-PVA panel. I'll post back here when I get it, which probably won't be for another week or so. They are going to wait til receiving my original monitor before sending the replacement.

If anyone is curious, I had a chance to run both monitors side-by-side for awhile. The S-IPS was sharper and had better colors. Whites look white on it, whereas they look somewhat dirty in comparison on the S-PVA panel. The only drawbacks I saw with the S-IPS panel were a slight screendoor effect, some flickering on dark greys, and shimmering on monitor test patterns. For me, the clarity and color reproduction far outweighed those negatives since they weren't noticable in most situations.
I think it's obvious that all monitors made in Mexico will be shipped with S-PVA panels from now on until they switch back to S-IPS.Really bad news.:(

As i said before i'm waiting for my new monitor to arrive probably from CZ, since DELL's factory there seems to be the only one in Europe, and i'll let you know if monitors are still shipped with S-IPS from there.I'm worried though:(

I hope Michael Dell will realize that similar business practices turn away a lot of potential customers.This monitor would sell like crazy if they were using only S-IPS panels.It still does and just imagine what would happen if you didn't have to deal with this lottery nonsense.

I'm praying for an S-IPS panel.:rolleyes:

I live in Denmark and recieved my Dell 2007WFP yesterday.

S-IPS Panel
Revision A03 Made in Czech Rep.
ScreenInfo posted as: V1B18 - RT803

Good news for europeans i guess :)

I live in Denmark and recieved my Dell 2007WFP yesterday.

S-IPS Panel
Revision A03 Made in Czech Rep.
ScreenInfo posted as: V1B18 - RT803

Good news for europeans i guess :)
You definitely guessed right.:D Great news, at least for now;)

Thanks for letting us know :)

Since I have been reading thread for some time and benefit a lot from it, it's maybe a good time to share my experience with 2007WFP here.

I placed an order on the refurbished 2007WFP through dell outlet on Jan 29 and it arrived this afternoon, shipped from Memphis TN to Chicago where I live. It's a Rev A03, made in Mexico. Using the method shown in prvious post, I managed to see its panel model is RT803 and I can clearly see the purple color in the black screen when viewing from the side, so I am convinced this is a S-IPS panel. There is no stuck points whatsoever and I am very happy considering I only paid $289-$30(coupon)+tax=$275 for it.

Hope this helps.

After using my new 2007WFP monitor for a week now, I began noticing some very huge problems. My eyes are getting tired, and it feels like I am getting blind from looking at this monitor.

It is a very weird feeling to watch this monitor's screen. I can describe it as if the screen was flickering, but without any clearly visible flickering. Just like if the flickering was on a rather high frequency. It kinda looks like good old fashion CRT set to 60 Hz refresh rate.

I have the latest revision A03 made in Czech Republic, 1st week of 2007, and it is S-IPS panel, so it is supposed to be the best and everything. I am using D-Sub connection (Analog as some people might say). I tried all kinds of setting from menu.

Can anyone help me with this ? What should I do ?

Frankly I am thinking about sueing Dell for an attempt to make me blind or something.

Looks like a lot of people are winning, I'm thinking about going ahead and ordering one now. I couldn't find much information about their return policy though, does Dell still accept a unconditional return for a refund/replacement within 21 days (or whatever it was), without the restocking fee? And how exactly does the return process work? I want to know what my options are if I lose the lottery.

Looks like a lot of people are winning, I'm thinking about going ahead and ordering one now. I couldn't find much information about their return policy though, does Dell still accept a unconditional return for a refund/replacement within 21 days (or whatever it was), without the restocking fee? And how exactly does the return process work? I want to know what my options are if I lose the lottery.
I'm not from the US, but from what i've read here, i believe the answer is yes.

And yeah this is the forum with the greatest number of people whining about their 2007WFP.:p Keep in mind though that people who are satisfied with their monitor don't bother posting about it.;)

Back