Dell Censors Panel lottery info. Share info here.

Well, we got the other one in. This one came from the Nevada warehouse, RT803 S-IPS panel. Seems like everyone is winning nowadays. :)

Edit: Forgot to mention, no noticeable problems like banding or dead pixels on arrival. Looks really good!

Well, we got the other one in. This one came from the Nevada warehouse, RT803 S-IPS panel. Seems like everyone is winning nowadays. :)

Edit: Forgot to mention, no noticeable problems like banding or dead pixels on arrival. Looks really good!

yeah but does it have that crazy flicker issue that people are now claiming is in the newer versions?

The flicker issue isn't new, when I ordered one (before any revisions) it had it as well. I sent it back for the banding though, I think the flickering didn't bother me quite enough alone.

That's really good news:)

Funny thing is i've mentioned the flickering issue to quite a few Dell 2007WFP owners on another forum and noone mentioned any problems.I even asked them to visit the "test page" from here.One of them had set the brightness on his monitor at 25%, but still didn't mention any problems.Weird?Maybe.

I think on most monitors in order to reproduce the problem you need to set the brightness very low, at 12-15%.I may decide to try my luck in the DELL lottery.You can always return it back as defective anyway.:p

aguire, I don't think you will be disappointed. I am very impressed with my second 2007WFPb which doesn't have any dead pixels, as I experienced with my first. DELL has promptly responded and replaced with no hassel. Other than the small amount of flickering when I visited that website, I cannot reproduce it in shades or solid colors. I wish you good karma with the DELL Lottery and 2007WFPb tranquility, LOL! :D

aguire, I don't think you will be disappointed. I am very impressed with my second 2007WFPb which doesn't have any dead pixels, as I experienced with my first. DELL has promptly responded and replaced with no hassel. Other than the small amount of flickering when I visited that website, I cannot reproduce it in shades or solid colors. I wish you good karma with the DELL Lottery and 2007WFPb tranquility, LOL! :D
Thanks ArLo.I'm really gonna need all the good karma i can get:)

Oh, and i'm glad you got a new monitor from DELL.That's why i may decide to go ahead despite the potential issues.Even though they don't offer zero defective pixel guarantee, they will replace your monitor if it comes with a dead pixel and most people didn't have any problems with their customer service.

I'm gonna be really nervous until i get it, hopefully with an S-IPS panel:D

Update on flicker. Hey, I downloaded this program which offers numerous test patterns for dead pixels at this link (freeware):

http://www.dps.uk.com/freeware_DTP.htm

This pattern test has basically the same grey background pattern from the earlier website link. However, the grey patterns during the test did not, I repeat... did not cause any flickering at all on my 2007WFPb LCD! This leads me to believe that it has something to do with the quality of the website display and NOT the Dell 2007WFPb! Try it out and post your own results. I am interested in knowing if anyone else has same end results? :)

Good to know its possible to get one that doesnt flicker. I tried that DTP program and mine flickers on the dark grey, dark yellow and dark cyan.

Anyone buying these(2007FP 4:3)? It seems like the WFP lotto has swung back to S-IPS, I wonder about the FP, it has been mostly PVA, but I really prefer the 4:3 size, but I won't buy unless there is a reasonably chance of S-IPS.

Anyone buying these(2007FP 4:3)? It seems like the WFP lotto has swung back to S-IPS, I wonder about the FP, it has been mostly PVA, but I really prefer the 4:3 size, but I won't buy unless there is a reasonably chance of S-IPS.

Snowdog did you give up on LG L2000C already? :D , I've got another conirmation today it is S-IPS.... ;)

Apparently it's very rare to get the 2007FP's with an s-ips. I wouldn't try, personally.

Snowdog did you give up on LG L2000C already? :D , I've got another conirmation today it is S-IPS.... ;)

You buy one first. :)

I just figured with the Days of Dell it will probably be on sale for some insane low price in the next day or so. If the there was a decent chance I might try again ( I got a 2007FP PVA before and it was pretty bad). But it appears the FP is the opposite of the WFP. Mostly all PVA with the occasional S-IPS.

None of the tests from DPT.exe show flickering here, but that damn .gif does. :( I opened it up in paint, saved as a jpg, opened the .jpg and hit print screen...wouldn't you know the paste in mspaint still flickers. :( I thought I could lose it in the trail! :p

I'm still not sure this flicker isn't something that can just happen with some patterns and is benign.
toastyx posted a site a few days ago with tests for induction.

Down to the bottom of the page there are 12 different tests. I don't get the same 2007wfp flicker on an NEC but I can get some flicker on other tests but these flickers are not considered unusual:

From Site:
http://www.techmind.org/lcd/

"The following test patterns deliberately excite only one polarity-half of the inversion pattern for some common schemes, and one of them should cause your screen to flicker. This is not a fault with the screen, but enables you to find out which inversion scheme your screen uses..

The inversion pattern for any given screen will inevitably flicker to some extent and is not a fault. If it really flickers a great deal then it may indicate that the common-electrode voltage has not been set up properly. In that case you might also perceive a "dot crawl" effect on plain colours of medium brightness. A grossly mis-set common-voltage will also make your screen more susceptible to temporary 'image sticking' problems.

Common-electrode voltage can sometimes be adjusted by means of an internal preset, or on a manufacturers' configuration screen (adjust for minimum flicker on the inversion-pattern) ...but doing so would almost certainly invalidate your warrantee. Typically, with the optimum setting, the centre of the screen will have minimum flicker on the inversion pattern, while the flicker will increase somewhat towards the left and right edges. If there's a distinct minimum anywhere on the screen, then the setting is pretty close. Note also that the optimum setting is likely to drift over the life of your screen, and may be slightly affected by temperature and the greylevel of the test pattern.

Any adjustments are made at your own risk!"

None of those flicker either, it's just the .gif posted earlier, hehe. Just got done w/ some BF2142...even if the mon does have issues, it looks fine from here. :D

I'm still not sure this flicker isn't something that can just happen with some patterns and is benign.
toastyx posted a site a few days ago with tests for induction.

Down to the bottom of the page there are 12 different tests. I don't get the same 2007wfp flicker on an NEC but I can get some flicker on other tests but these flickers are not considered unusual:

From Site:
http://www.techmind.org/lcd/

"The following test patterns deliberately excite only one polarity-half of the inversion pattern for some common schemes, and one of them should cause your screen to flicker. This is not a fault with the screen, but enables you to find out which inversion scheme your screen uses..

The inversion pattern for any given screen will inevitably flicker to some extent and is not a fault. If it really flickers a great deal then it may indicate that the common-electrode voltage has not been set up properly. In that case you might also perceive a "dot crawl" effect on plain colours of medium brightness. A grossly mis-set common-voltage will also make your screen more susceptible to temporary 'image sticking' problems.

Common-electrode voltage can sometimes be adjusted by means of an internal preset, or on a manufacturers' configuration screen (adjust for minimum flicker on the inversion-pattern) ...but doing so would almost certainly invalidate your warrantee. Typically, with the optimum setting, the centre of the screen will have minimum flicker on the inversion pattern, while the flicker will increase somewhat towards the left and right edges. If there's a distinct minimum anywhere on the screen, then the setting is pretty close. Note also that the optimum setting is likely to drift over the life of your screen, and may be slightly affected by temperature and the greylevel of the test pattern.

Any adjustments are made at your own risk!"

I posted earlier that this big pattern i made from that site`s background:

http://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?image=flickering4uj.gif

None has posted explanation why 2007WFP A03 S-IPS flickers only on left 1/3 of screen, not even Dell. It`s a technical flaw on panel itself and cannot be fixed with "firmware".

I haven`t managed to replicate same kind of flickering with any other display....

Reducing brightness is perfect way to ruin colors and make calibration unusable - Doing so its like avoiding problem but making your S-IPS look like 6-bit TN ;)

I did return my 2007WFP and I`m waiting for Dell`s official comment on this technical problem - after it`s fixed 2007WFP is good choice for 20" WS.

Reducing brightness is perfect way to ruin colors and make calibration unusable - Doing so its like avoiding problem but making your S-IPS look like 6-bit TN ;)
Yes, but the point is that on DELL's forum most people mentioned this issue when they reduced the brightness to 12-15% for photo editing.And a lot of people didn't mention any problems, even after i asked them to visit the link you posted.No flickering at all according to them.

Not to be cynical but the Dell forums aren't a great place to get good information. They censor their boards (first hand experience) and it's not out of the question that they create accounts to spread misinformation. I assumed the flickering problem to be universal, as the problem has plagued the monitors from the initial release through A03, but recently there have been reports of no flickering (but very few comparatively).

I intend to purchase one (again) but I fully expect to deal with the flickering problem. It didn't bother me that much, as the banding was much worse, and for the price it's really hard to beat the quality. Still, the problem sucks..

You are right, Shortass.The manufacturer's forum is not the best place for impartial information, but it's NOT the only forum i asked people to visit the link or report any issues about flickering in general.

I really don't have an answer about what's going on here, but it doesn't make sense to me that people buy this monitor like crazy despite major flickering issues.

Yes, but the point is that on DELL's forum most people mentioned this issue when they reduced the brightness to 12-15% for photo editing.And a lot of people didn't mention any problems, even after i asked them to visit the link you posted.No flickering at all according to them.

I`m working on prepress & mediahouse as technical engineer, so I`m quite familiar with colors, calibration and ICC-profiles. 2007WFP is unusable for photowork with that kind of settings ;)

Altought 2007WFP has few flaws - its still very good product; average panel, good interfaces, simplistict design etc... I`m still waiting for Dell to make it perfect / fix rest of problems. But it looks there is allready new product coming - just guessing though...

I don't know Glengoyne, that's what i've read on DELL's forum.When someone mentioned he didn't notice any flicker, the guy insisted that he should reduce the brightness in order to notice the flicker, so he wasn't trying to defend DELL or anything;)

I don't know what's going on, on DELL's forum, but many 2007WFP owners on different forums i asked, didn't notice any flicker.So if someone doesn't notice anything, why bother trying to:p

I'll try to find the thread for you.;)

I don't know Glengoyne, that's what i've read on DELL's forum.When someone mentioned he didn't notice any flicker, the guy insisted that he should reduce the brightness in order to notice the flicker, so he wasn't trying to defend DELL or anything;)

I don't know what's going on, on DELL's forum, but many 2007WFP owners on different forums i asked, didn't notice any flicker.So if someone doesn't notice anything, why bother trying to:p

I'll try to find the thread for you.;)

Well, there`s two kind of flickering; another is on whole screen area - another is this what I`m talking about - 1/3 part of screen. You can easily check the dates on Dell`s support forum; first problem is older - mostly on revisions A01&A02, "new" flickering is on A03.

If someone does not notice the flickering - it is just good for his/her. Everyone does not know what to look for. And hey, someone even might have wooden eye ;)

I`m just curious to know how widespread problem this is - it looks like atleast display made in Chec rebublic (that is in Europe in case you didn`t know, not a imaginary state like someone said LOL )

Well, there`s two kind of flickering; another is on whole screen area - another is this what I`m talking about - 1/3 part of screen. You can easily check the dates on Dell`s support forum; first problem is older - mostly on revisions A01&A02, "new" flickering is on A03.

If someone does not notice the flickering - it is just good for his/her. Everyone does not know what to look for. And hey, someone even might have wooden eye ;)
You really are determined not to let us have a good time using the 2007WFP, aren't you?:D Just kidding:p

I'll go with the flow in this one.If most people really like their 2007WFP and highly recommend it, then for most people it's fine.;)

Oh,so could this "problem" be more widespread in monitors manufactured in a specific factory then?

I'll go with the flow in this one.If most people really like their 2007WFP and highly recommend it, then for most people it's fine.;)

true :) Everyone is not interested in technical details or does not care about getting 100% perfect product - or they just accept products what they are like

Oh,so could this "problem" be more widespread in monitors manufactured in a specific factory then?

Might be, but we have to remember that Dell does not make single panel by themselves, they are bought from Samsung or LG-Philips.

true :) Everyone is not interested in technical details or does not care about getting 100% perfect product - or they just accept products what they are like
Not everyone is a technical engineer:p

Might be, but we have to remember that Dell does not make single panel by themselves, they are bought from Samsung or LG-Philips.
Correct, but you never know what could go wrong in the assembly line of a factory;) In any case it would be a huge task to gather sufficient data in order to be able to reach a safe conclusion.

Since most people don't report any flickering, i think it's safe to assume that this problem doesn't affect every single monitor.I don't think flickering is something most people wouldn't be able to notice.

I don't know, though:eek:

Do we know if this flickering ever appears in regular use? Or only on a test screen?

Because I have never seen it on my workstation. In my case, at least, the flicker issue seems moot.

I was testing my Dell 2007fp with a program that measured gradients to check for banding. If I put the monitor in the movie/game mode it would filcker like crazy every time I changed the gradient color.

But if I left it in Desktop mode it was stable. Possible you might be using one of these modes if you have an issue.

I can't do any testing because I sent the monitor back for a refund (It was an A00 with heavy banding and it was PVA).

Do we know if this flickering ever appears in regular use? Or only on a test screen?

Because I have never seen it on my workstation. In my case, at least, the flicker issue seems moot.
Actually, we don't really know on how many monitors and under which conditions flickering appears.

A few people reported flickering, but most can't notice anything.As i said before if you can't notice flickering, no need to bother trying to.

For me Its annoying as hell in and BF2, and a lot of sites I visit have background colors that flicker. I also watch a lot of anime and the flicker is noticeable there as well. If it only flickered on a test screen I wouldn't care.

For me Its annoying as hell in and BF2, and a lot of sites I visit have background colors that flicker. I also watch a lot of anime and the flicker is noticeable there as well. If it only flickered on a test screen I wouldn't care.
In that case, i would send it back.

If I can convince them to drop the restocking fee I plan on returning it in a month or so. I don't want to do yet another exchange (already have 4 times from the lottery) and if I were to return it for a refund now I would be stuck with a junk 17" CRT while having to do more research to find a new monitor.

Tried it on one @ work, the whole screen freaked out, haha! I had just turned the panel on too.

Just got mine from dell yesterday... and its a SIPS A03 made in czech republic ordered it from sweden

Just got mine from dell yesterday... and its a SIPS A03 made in czech republic ordered it from sweden

made in december 2006? same batch as mine was. You can check the details with moninfo.exe.

Do I dare to ask; what about the flickering? this answer might give us more glues...

made in december 2006? same batch as mine was. You can check the details with moninfo.exe.

Do I dare to ask; what about the flickering? this answer might give us more glues...

Monitor
Windows description......... Plug and Play Monitor
Manufacturer description.... DELL 2007WFP
Manufacturer................ Dell
————————————————————————————
Plug and Play ID............ DELA018
Serial number............... HM0647122ATL
EDID data source............ I2C bus (real-time)
————————————————————————————
Manufacture date............ 2007, ISO week 1
EDID revision............... 1.3
Display type and signal..... Analog 0.700,0.300 (1.0V p-p)
Sync input support.......... Separate, Composite, Sync on green
Screen size................. 430 x 270 mm (~21")
Power management............ Standby, Suspend, Active off/sleep

Color characteristics
Display gamma............... 2,20
Red chromaticity............ Rx 0,640 - Ry 0,330
Green chromaticity.......... Gx 0,300 - Gy 0,600
Blue chromaticity........... Bx 0,150 - By 0,060
White point (default)....... Wx 0,313 - Wy 0,329

Timing characteristics
VESA GTF support............ Not supported
Horizontal scan range....... 30-83kHz
Vertical scan range......... 56-76Hz
Video bandwidth............. 150MHz
Extension blocks............ n/a
Timing recommendation #1.... 1680x1050 at 60Hz
Modeline................ "1680x1050" 146,250 1680 1784 1960 2240 1050 1053 1059 1089 -hsync +vsync

Standard timings supported
640 x 480 at 60Hz - IBM VGA
640 x 480 at 75Hz - VESA
720 x 400 at 70Hz - IBM VGA
800 x 600 at 60Hz - VESA
800 x 600 at 75Hz - VESA
1024 x 768 at 60Hz - VESA
1024 x 768 at 75Hz - VESA
1152 x 864 at 75Hz - VESA
1280 x 1024 at 60Hz - VESA
1280 x 1024 at 75Hz - VESA
1680 x 1050 at 60Hz - Dell

Raw EDID base
00: 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 10 AC 18 A0 4C 54 41 32
10: 01 11 01 03 0E 2B 1B 78 EE EE 91 A3 54 4C 99 26
20: 0F 50 54 A5 4B 00 81 80 71 4F 01 01 01 01 01 01
30: 01 01 01 01 01 01 21 39 90 30 62 1A 27 40 68 B0
40: 36 00 B2 0E 11 00 00 1C 00 00 00 FF 00 48 4D 30
50: 36 34 37 31 32 32 41 54 4C 0A 00 00 00 FC 00 44
60: 45 4C 4C 20 32 30 30 37 57 46 50 0A 00 00 00 FD
70: 00 38 4C 1E 53 0F 00 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 D9

well i just got my monitor in today. it is a A03 panel code rt803. anyways, i was doing the offset 2 setting to help the washed out graphics when using the xbox 360 but now the colors just dont look right. is there a way to completely reset it?

it seems like since A03/december everyone's been getting IPS on here, so that's good news.

but as glen was wondering, does it now have the flickering problem? not sure if moninfo.exe was that useful, since you can tell what type of panel it is through the burn in menu and i thought the manufacturing date was printed somewhere anyway.

Back