Dell Alienware prebuilt fails again

Motley

2[H]4U
Did you guys see the Dell Alienware prebuilt review by GamersNexus? Holy crap why do they insist on keeping that godaweful case.

It is $5000 It has a 12900k and 3090. Hot as hell case, and the cpu thermal throttles. It has a small 120 water cooler that does a bangup job. Motherboard is wacky. comes with generic plain memory no heatsinks.
The case has a new feature, a fricking window!

Dell keeps insisting on ripping off customers, shady warranty crap they just charge you for without selecting warranty.

Last edited:
Yea I seen it. He makes a good point. The time, money and tooling to make this case is ridiculous. All that just to make it proprietary. Does the average man actually think this case is good looking?

I watched that video the other day and was wondering what my setup cost.
$6,500 is what I have in my PC, monitor, speakers, and peripherals. :wideyed:
Had no idea I had this much into this setup.
IMG_2184.JPEG

I watched that video the other day and was wondering what my setup cost.
$6,500 is what I have in my PC, monitor, speakers, and peripherals. :wideyed:
Had no idea I had this much into this setup.
View attachment 467480
I haven't added it all up and I don't want to know how much I spent on my setup. It is definitely north of $5k. That is for the entire setup and my PC is better then this crap.

It's insane to think, even during shortages Dell could fathom to charge 5k for that thing. I know the 3090 is expensive, but that's to the end user scalped. Dell had those cards OEMed for them, so it was paying far less than retail. 12900k was in short supply for a bit, but nothing compared to GPUs. Where does Dell get the balls.

It's all marketing. They know buyers in this range care much more about the appearance thinking it's the top of the due to the cost without doing further research. It's unfortunate that this kind of thing still works today.

I saw that video, so much wasted engineering resources for so little gain. Plus that case looks like dogshit. Of course they are catering to people with tons of money with little sense.

You say dogshit, but Alienware has successfully sold those oval tank for the past 15+ years. People like them!

Perhaps that's true. Or perhaps it's perceived as a luxury item from a luxury buyer whose expectations are met because they don't perceive benchmarks, customization, heat, performance the same way we enthusiasts do. It's expensive, it feels expensive, it must be good quality. Rinse, repeat a few years later.

What's the saying? A fool and their money are soon parted?

More like spoiled rich kid wants a gaming PC and technologically illiterate parents buy it for them because they don't know any better.

Those are literally the only types of people I've ever seen with those gaudy fugly early 2000s looking trash boxes.

More like spoiled rich kid wants a gaming PC and technologically illiterate parents buy it for them because they don't know any better.

What is kind of funny is that I was at UCLA recently participating in a research study. Most of the computers that I saw (not student computers, but UCLA computers) were Alienware (both Desktops and Laptops). None of them were doing anything that couldn't be done with a Core i3 + iGPU. In fact, it actually caused problems at certain points because the batteries in the Alienware gaming laptops that they were using would die if they were unplugged for more than ~30 minutes, delaying the entire research study as we repeatedly waited for the battery to recharge. It kind of makes you wonder who is making the decisions on what hardware to buy, and if that is really the best use of funds...

What is kind of funny is that I was at UCLA recently participating in a research study. Most of the computers that I saw (not student computers, but UCLA computers) were Alienware (both Desktops and Laptops). None of them were doing anything that couldn't be done with a Core i3 + iGPU. In fact, it actually caused problems at certain points because the batteries in the Alienware gaming laptops that they were using would die if they were unplugged for more than ~30 minutes, delaying the entire research study as we repeatedly waited for the battery to recharge. It kind of makes you wonder who is making the decisions on what hardware to buy, and if that is really the best use of funds...

Enterprise technology often doesn't make any sense. Usually decided by service contracts signed eons ago that have long since turned into personal slush funds for pet projects of people that know they can buy anything they want, even if it makes no sense or is exceedingly impractical.

I have a friend currently working an enterprise contract where the IT staff is one person above him that just orders tens of thousands of dollars in Macbooks "just because" and said persons friends get whatever they want.

Between Windows power settings and Bios settings; as long as the options are there, any Alienware should be able to be setup for relatively good battery life. Its also very possible those batteries had been burned out, from being plugged in all the time. Especially if the bios wasn't set for an majority 'docked' or 'plugged in' setup.

Additionally, Its also possible they may have been ordered by someone disconnected from the actual project workflow--- with minimum capacity batteries. Thinking they would never really need to leave the lab or something.

Alienware was a good brand before Dell bought them out.. even though they were always expensive.

Alienware was a good brand before Dell bought them out.. even though they were always expensive.
I've always heard that. I have an HP Omen and aside from some serious cooling issues and a bare-bones motherboard, it's a good system for a prebuilt. Seems like HP's gaming systems have fared a bit better than Dell's. Both are definitely inferior to a custom built, but sometimes you gotta get what you can get.

Back