Dell added a Gaming Department??

Dell is.....

....a good solution for people who aren't PC geeks (one number to call if there's a problem, not 12 hardware and software manfacturers to call)

...an inexpensive entry level computer.

...the best mass market OEM builder out there (I'd rather have a Dell than an eMachine).

...fast and simple to configure. (one purchase, no piece parting)

I realize that you have nothing better to do than bitch about Dell, but guess what, you don't have to buy one if you don't want to. Seriously, who cares, find something better to do than flame Dell. This is why you're virgins.

zone_86 said:
I understand what you mean. It wasn't that long ago when Intel P4C's were tops over AXP, but as soon as A64 was out it was over. But the P4 is still a very "smooth" processor. It multitasks very well, has few issues. It's just that AMD are now actually better for both tasking and gaming - most especially gaming as the gap is widening by a good margin in that area.
Ya I agree AMD is best for Games, and now with the X2 it is the best multitasker out there as well, but at what cost? I think its good for Dell to dable in this market. Most of us here on these forums would not buy a Dell, B/C have the fun is building and tinkering, but we make up a very small precentage of the market, 5% -+2. I really hate when ppl bash things without having first hand experice with dell. Right now Dell is like Mircosoft, they are pretty much un-stoppable in the OEM market.

StorageJoe said:
Dell is.....

....a good solution for people who aren't PC geeks (one number to call if there's a problem, not 12 hardware and software manfacturers to call)
Actually a poor solution, and I would rather people pay the premium to get the Alienware "Bot" Series because of the support alone, Dell's support is absolutely useless... that is, when you don't have to wait hours on hold

StorageJoe said:
...an inexpensive entry level computer.
While Dell may be considered "inexpensive" it is because they use cheap components (Cheap motherboards, cases, power supplies, ram)

StorageJoe said:
...the best mass market OEM builder out there (I'd rather have a Dell than an eMachine).
Arguably.

StorageJoe said:
...fast and simple to configure. (one purchase, no piece parting)
Yes and no... while you don't have to configure base systems, you do need to configure them if you were to upgrade them or want "better than horrid" performance.

StorageJoe said:
I realize that you have nothing better to do than bitch about Dell, but guess what, you don't have to buy one if you don't want to. Seriously, who cares, find something better to do than flame Dell. This is why you're virgins.
I take it you are a dell owner. :rolleyes:

You call Alienware support good LOL!!!! You have somethings to learn. I am done with this thread there is no point anymore.

Vengance_01 said:
You call Alienware support good LOL!!!! You have somethings to learn. I am done with this thread there is no point anymore.
i started it and i have been done.

ScHpAnKy said:
Actually a poor solution, and I would rather people pay the premium to get the Alienware "Bot" Series because of the support alone, Dell's support is absolutely useless... that is, when you don't have to wait hours on hold

While Dell may be considered "inexpensive" it is because they use cheap components (Cheap motherboards, cases, power supplies, ram)

Arguably.

Yes and no... while you don't have to configure base systems, you do need to configure them if you were to upgrade them or want "better than horrid" performance.

I take it you are a dell owner. :rolleyes:

You missed the entire point didn't you. Some people have more important things to worry about (such as girlfriends or job) than getting better frame rates on cs. And you know what.... yes, I actually do own a dell. ( As well as 2 rigs I custom built and a laptop.)

This thread is exactly why we have the Systems Evaluation Program. There's a lot of FUD and conjecture in this thread, and we're trying to make sense of it all.

I like there laptop value, for college or something.... a little expensive though. :rolleyes:

and as far as amd goes why would dell do what gateway did when the athalons were out gateway jumped all over them and boom all of them had heat issues among other problems. So why is dell gonna fudge up and loose millions like gateway did. As far as im not gonna get a dell till they use amd there are millions of people who use intel and game i am one of them. The benchmarks against a amd rig and intel rig sre so friggen tiny its all about o i got 5 fps more than u did who the hell cares. IF ya dont like dell dont buy them. I love dells have one as my htpc and one as a storage server and i use there crt and lcds

People should either build their own rigs or have a friend build it with them if they dont know how.

zappa86 said:
People should either build their own rigs or have a friend build it with them if they dont know how.

Very informed statement (sarcasm). If some gave a shit they would, but most people don't so they buy a Dell. That's like saying that I shouldn't go buy a new car I should have my buddy help me build one. And don't say that's a stupid example because people do it all the time to an extant. (Buy the body of an old mustng / chevelle / GTO and build an engine, piece togather a sweet car.) To them, you going out and buying a "muscle car" seems like an idiot thing to do too. Some people just have more important shit to do than play counterstrike and battlefield all day.

You don't understand the market 86. Most people even in IT could care less about building one. Its that simple. It's not because they can't - it's because their interests are elsewhere. There are plenty for fomers tweakers that have gone on to be Doctors, Lawyers, Teachers, and don't care to tweak a bios or spend 2-6 hours setting up a system and use Dells.

Personally, I still don't see why people are so "Intel SUCKS AMD R00LZ!!!!!oneone" Apparrently nobody reads the [H] much anymore. Kyle uses both...and I'm fixing to have both a P4 and AMD 64 rig. No need to be such a fanatic about it.

The problem with a thread like this, it usually ends up in an AMD vs Intel e-penis measuring contest.

Agreed Evil! And i'm from the Tascosa side of the town you are from :).originally anyway. WTSU grad. (A&M now).

Morley said:
This thread is exactly why we have the Systems Evaluation Program. There's a lot of FUD and conjecture in this thread, and we're trying to make sense of it all.
It's worth repeating.

Vengance_01 said:
Ya I agree AMD is best for Games, and now with the X2 it is the best multitasker out there as well, but at what cost? I think its good for Dell to dable in this market. Most of us here on these forums would not buy a Dell, B/C have the fun is building and tinkering, but we make up a very small precentage of the market, 5% -+2. I really hate when ppl bash things without having first hand experice with dell. Right now Dell is like Mircosoft, they are pretty much un-stoppable in the OEM market.
QFT....and because we make such a small percentage, there's no real point in oem's catering to us. in fact the best reason i have to why companies continue to put out high end hardware every several months is because they know people like us are willing to shell out the money to but it. basically out of all the computer users out there, a large majority don't know what they are buying and with the marketing strategy and reputation of dell it is easy to see why they are number one. any while most of us here wouldn't go with a dell desktop if forced to go oem, you gotta understand that the average person out there can't differentiate between a pentium and a celeron.

Hey Mach.....Stop this thread. I thought the whole thing was about SISSIES???? Not who has a larger penis, Dell, Intel, AMD or whatever. :D Altho I ravaged dell several times here I do have several of their monitors and I like "em. Bought one from Dell and two offa EBay. So there. ;)

The hi-end XPS systems are great for gaming and everything else. It's not that ridiculous for Dell to make an attempt at the gaming community.

The XPS 2 has to be amongst the best machines for laptop gaming, with a CPU superior to any mobile AMD, the best mobile GPU available (Go6800Ultra) and screen res up to 19x12.

Got a Dimension XPS gen4 (in sig), it's simultaneously running HL2 without lag or hitches at 1680x1050 with everything maxed out + folding@home at 70-80% of max speed (with no other apps running). I'd like to see an AMD single-core do the same. Also got 7050 in 3DMark05 and beat some AMD systems with the same vid card :)

demons9872 said:
and as far as amd goes why would dell do what gateway did when the athalons were out gateway jumped all over them and boom all of them had heat issues among other problems. So why is dell gonna fudge up and loose millions like gateway did.

Agree, same thing happened to Compaq (heat issues in laptops)

magoo said:
Hey Mach.....Stop this thread. I thought the whole thing was about SISSIES???? Not who has a larger penis, Dell, Intel, AMD or whatever. :D Altho I ravaged dell several times here I do have several of their monitors and I like "em. Bought one from Dell and two offa EBay. So there. ;)
this thread was actually about Dell's new gaming department but now i see men fighting over a Dell box in diapers.

i could care less what happens to this thread now.

jon67 said:
The hi-end XPS systems are great for gaming and everything else. It's not that ridiculous for Dell to make an attempt at the gaming community.

The XPS 2 has to be amongst the best machines for laptop gaming, with a CPU superior to any mobile AMD, the best mobile GPU available (Go6800Ultra) and screen res up to 19x12
And that -- as in the XPS desktop and laptop -- is why Dell has a gaming department now....

We all know that Dell is not trying to reach us in the enthusiast market, but they've taken a few "hints" from us and are now trying to market some of their models as gaming machines. What I would like to see, however, is what they could do for an encore... or are we just going to see more generations of the XPS?

Pixeleet said:
F' that. For the time being, until Dell starts shipping with AMD64s, they'll never have a Gaming centre imo.
because you can't play games with an Intel processor :rolleyes:^infinity

Back