Dell 3008 input lag

Thanks for the very informative post Brumwald.

I'd recommend getting the Eye One Display 2 calibrator package. It works well with wide gamut monitors and is probably the best consumer-level colorimeter around for LCDs.

It is packaged with NEC's SpectraView II kit, so I'd assume it's good for wide gamut H-IPS monitors.

Good luck.

I think it's important to point out that input lag is not about gaming...
For some it's way worse in windows than when gaming.

And you really can't compare input lag to regular lag in games. Input lag affects everything, regular lag only affects your opponents - in other words it doesn't affect your aim at all (which input lag does). You still have to compensate for regular lag but thats just as easy as pointing the mouse ahead of any movement you want to hit - but with input lag you have to interpolate the lag in the monitor and not only compensate the for the lag itself but also take account the actions you make that haven't made it to the screen yet.
Yes this is always the case - it takes time from thought to action and from the time an image is shown to when you register it. Difference is that you've trained your whole life for that. For that reason I think that in theory everyone could adapt and not be bothered by input lag (at least for when precision isn't of utmost importance) - but I don't think thats the case in reality, for some it truly is a dealbreaker.

I also think placebo is a large part of it (as powerful as that can be it might not really matter if it's placebo or not in the end :p).

Then again I think it is just as important to point out that most people don't notice it. The problem is that in my case for instance I had no way of finding out, a) how I'd react to input lag, and b) how much lag the A02 3008WFP really has.
This post will try to somewhat answer the second issue I had there.

So I've been and is super-busy but I did manage to take photos of input lag on the 3008WFP in various settings. And my graphic card actually allowed me to clone two monitors with different resolutions - so I managed to take photos in native resolution and compare them to a CRT. I did this a while ago and I still haven't got around to process them - thats why I decided to just post them instead of postponing it any further

*snip*

Thanks for the images and tests. I couldn't notice the lag between the Dell and CRT even in the videos and neither can I notice it when using the 3008WFP myself.

BTW, what's that car game in the videos?

10e
Thanks, it's also the most expensive consumer-level calibrator I could find :p
I've got a ton of questions about calibrators but I'm leaving that subject for google and better suited threads.

kasakka
That would be the free game TrackMania Nations.
http://www.trackmania.com/en/ download link at the very top.

If anyone remains on the fence about purchasing a 3008, the price for a new one is down to $1339. A little silver lining to brighten the dark clouds of the current economic insanity. :D

I had a 24" hp that had a scaler in it, and if I enabled vsync the input lag could potentially be very noticable. If I moved the mouse quickly I could sometimes see the screen still moving after I had stopped moving my mouse. That's input lag. In TF2 I did not notice the lag, until I got into a snipe fight. In which case I was constantly being beat to the punch and even though I could swear my crosshairs were right on target, I would miss. For most people, they'd probably think they just weren't that good of sniper, or not really know what's happening, but the fact is I'm reacting late due to seeing a late image. I switched back to my CRT just to be sure, and on the CRT things were smooth as butter.

People who don't detect input lag may not play at a level where milliseconds count, or perhaps disabling vsync negates any input lag. I'm not entirely sure about the vsync part as I haven't been able to try it on a dell. I have an HPLP3065 right now and I do not notice that much lag at all even with vsync on. I'm the type of person who notices milliseconds and one of the reasons I've been hesitant to consider the 3008 was because of the reported latency.

I'd recommend getting the Eye One Display 2 calibrator package. It works well with wide gamut monitors and is probably the best consumer-level colorimeter around for LCDs.

It is packaged with NEC's SpectraView II kit, so I'd assume it's good for wide gamut H-IPS monitors.

Actually, you should stay away from the Eye-One (i1) Display 2 if you have a DELL 3008WFP. Several users - including me - are having problems calibrating wide gamut monitors with this calibrator, due to the fact that its filters are not compatible with wide gamut color primaries and/or backlight.
Here is my thread about the problem:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1397176

The NEC one supposedly had special filters in it, or it's internal memory is differently tuned for that very monitor it comes bundled with (but it doesnt work with any other monitor).

The only consumer level colorimeter that is known to work with wide gamut is the Spyder 3.

Last edited:
Actually, you should stay away from the Eye-One (i1) Display 2 if you have a DELL 3008WFP. Several users - including me - are having problems calibrating wide gamut monitors with this calibrator, due to the fact that its filters are not compatible with wide gamut color primaries and/or backlight.
Here is my thread about the problem:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1397176

The NEC one supposedly had special filters in it, or it's internal memory is differently tuned for that very monitor it comes bundled with (but it doesnt work with any other monitor).

The only consumer level colorimeter that is known to work with wide gamut is the Spyder 3.

Eye-One Display 2 calibrates wide color gamut monitors with no problem.
I have used it with many WG monitors and different software.

In addition to brand calibration software you can look at this:
http://argyllcms.com/
It successfully calibrates the Dell 3008.

Spyder 3 is known to be inferior to Eye-One.
It cannot read dark tones.

For best results with Eye-One use it with calibration software as directed. Don't invent your own ways for "improvement".

Same about input lag measurements.
You have been informed already that your results are very interesting on condition that you compare them with standard input lag measurement procedure with stopwatch software.
Otherwise you are wasting your time.

Eye-One Display 2 calibrates wide color gamut monitors with no problem. I have used it with many WG monitors and different software.

In addition to brand calibration software you can look at this:
http://argyllcms.com/
It successfully calibrates the Dell 3008.

Well, I for one don't believe you. I'm not saying you are lying, I just can't believe that the i1 Display 2 calibrated a DELL 3008WFP or a HP 2475 successfully. You might not know what to expect, you might think the resultant profile is good while it has nothing to do with colorimetrically correct colors - not on my PC and not on the systems of at least 3 people I've talked with.

Can I check out the profiles you made for the DELL 3008WFP with the i1 Display 2?

BTW I have tried with ArgyllCMS and dispcalGUI, and it created a very similar, faulty profile as the Eye-One Match software. And it calibrated my non wide-gamut monitor perfectly, just like the Eye-One Match software.

Spyder 3 is known to be inferior to Eye-One.
It cannot read dark tones.

No, it's not KNOWN. Many people are reporting successful, visually pleasing results with the Spyder 3 on wide gamut monitors.

For best results with Eye-One use it with calibration software as directed. Don't invent your own ways for "improvement".

Your head may be up very high in your behind, but there are other people who know what they are doing apart from you. FYI I have spent approximately a week trying to calibrate my LG W3000H and the DELL 3008WFP afterwards, went through all the default and not so default workflows, not one option was left untouched.

Same about input lag measurements.
You have been informed already that your results are very interesting on condition that you compare them with standard input lag measurement procedure with stopwatch software.
Otherwise you are wasting your time.

Wow, you ARE arrogant. The only one wasting his time here is you - trolling after my posts, telling me what to think and do in a most arrogant fashion. Not interested in that.

What I'm interested in - instead of the arguing about facts we see differently - are the profiles. The truth is in them.
Can you upload them somewhere and provide a link for me and others to check? (And please don't forget to include the settings that were used when calibrating: brighness, contrast and RGB)

Last edited:
Back