Dell 3007 WFP LCD Monitor at $2200

hodiscuss said:
Why go for a 50" tv????

For FALL 2006, Westinghouse is planning to be the first manufacturer of a 56" LCD display with Quad-1080p resoluation (3840x2160) -- that's 2x resolution and almost 3.5x display area of the Dell 3007. Unlike the Dell 3007 with just ONE input port (a single dual-link DVI port), the Westinghouse 56" will have MULTIPLE inputs (like the Dell 2405).

It's already been displayed at CES 2006

http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20060105005042&newsLang=en

http://engadget.com/2006/01/07/westinghouses-56-inch-4x-1080p-lcd/

it's not the world's biggest LCD. It's an OEM Samsung model LN57F51BD.

Sharp LCD is at 65", and they have that in early 2005, so it's hard to believe westinghouse's 57" is the world largest.

Sharp 65" part no. is LC-65GE1

Happy Hopping said:
it's not the world's biggest LCD. It's an OEM Samsung model LN57F51BD.

Sharp LCD is at 65", and they have that in early 2005, so it's hard to believe westinghouse's 57" is the world largest.

Sharp 65" part no. is LC-65GE1

I don't think anyone claimed that it was the world's biggest LCD. It IS the biggest LCD at that resolution (3840x2160) though. And I would take a 56" at 2160p over a 65" at 1080p any day.

hodiscuss said:
One way to get HDTV viewing on the Dell 3007....

ATI's CableCard HDTV tuner for PC (which is waiting to be released when Windows Vista is released by Q4 2006) :D

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2662

ATI's intent is for this product to be first released to OEMs before it will be sold retail. Since DELL is an OEM, this product may be bundled with a Dell Media PC which you can buy with a Dell 3007 :D.

ARGH! Where am I going to find room on the motherboard for two sli video cards, a sound card and this tuner card? Is there any way I can take advantage of all the connections that comes in the package with the a8n-sli deluxe motherboard? :confused:

StalkerZER0 said:
ARGH! Where am I going to find room on the motherboard for two sli video cards, a sound card and this tuner card? Is there any way I can take advantage of all the connections that comes in the package with the a8n-sli deluxe motherboard? :confused:

Well at the time the Anandtech article was written, the INTERNAL tuner reference design version was ready, but the EXTERNAL tuner version wasn't ready yet. Yet both are supposed to be identical in functionality and both send the display output to your PC via USB!
So if you don't have room on your motherboard, just get the external version.

hodiscuss said:
Well at the time the Anandtech article was written, the INTERNAL tuner reference design version was ready, but the EXTERNAL tuner version wasn't ready yet. Yet both are supposed to be identical in functionality and both send the display output to your PC via USB!
So if you don't have room on your motherboard, just get the external version.

omg gimme a linky so I can check it out? :confused:

frisbfreek said:
I don't think anyone claimed that it was the world's biggest LCD. It IS the biggest LCD at that resolution (3840x2160) though. And I would take a 56" at 2160p over a 65" at 1080p any day.

Can satelite TV signal and/or DVD movie benefit from that res. vs. the good old 1920 x1080?

kkapoor said:
Ok, so here's what happened to me. I recieved one of those Dell mailings in the post today here in Toronto. When I opened it up it says you should go to www.dell.ca/newyearoffers and enter the specified code to see if you qualify for 30%, 50% or 75% off from the Dell Canada Small Business Store. So I go ahead and and boom I receive 30% off.

How's about you tell us the code, because probably everyone else in the area got the same code. I'm in Toronto and would kill for it as I didn't recieve the flyer.

Also, unrelated, will this work on my BFG GeForce 7800 GTX? :D

About the question of how to get the hi def tv signal into the monitor. I think it may be possible with an hdmi to dvi adapter, but I' not sure if the adapters are available going both directions. I think someone tried it and it didn't work exactly right, but I'm not sure. There is a way to convert the signals with the appropriate hardware, but it's expremely expensive unlcess the simple adapter thingy would work.

Yay! I've just got one of these babies ordered. :cool:

Shipping will take a couple of weeks though. :(

For those wanting to use HDMI, make sure you know which version. I was reading up on the avs forums, that the current HDMI will NOT put a 1080p signal out. HDMI v1.3 will though. Kinda lame if you ask me.. :rolleyes:

weemies said:
Yay! I've just got one of these babies ordered. :cool: Shipping will take a couple of weeks though. :(

Weemies, congratulations and good luck!!
Did you buy your 30" at Dell's Home or Small Biz site?
How much? Did you bargain a little, try to get price down? If so, what happened?
I'm thinking of moving up to Dell 30" from HP 23".
Anyone know if/when Dell will begin sales or coupons on the 30"?

Zak said:
Weemies, congratulations and good luck!!
Did you buy your 30" at Dell's Home or Small Biz site?
How much? Did you bargain a little, try to get price down? If so, what happened?
I'm thinking of moving up to Dell 30" from HP 23".
Actually I'm not in the US, and I got it through ebay. Got it for a tad under 1900€ (~$2300). A pretty good price considering everything is more expensive in Europe. Retail in Finland, where I live, is over $2650 I believe.

Zak said:

If I remember correctly, there were very nice deals soon after the release of the 2405. Insane numbers of people were buying the panels then...

My guess is that since this is a new model based on a new revision of the LG.Philips panel, supply may not yet allow Dell to offer a discount like they did soon after the 2405's release (some people on the net are saying they've been quoted 2 weeks from order to estimated ship date). During the crazy pricing right after the 2405's release, Dell seemed to be able to ship large volumes without any difficulty, so I'm assuming their inital supply was a lot better. Maybe we'll see some deals as production ramps up.

Ohji said:
If I remember correctly, there were very nice deals soon after the release of the 2405. Insane numbers of people were buying the panels then....

One other difference between when the 2405 was released last year and now....

Last year Dell was aiming for revenue growth (since Dell has been a high growth company and Dell was projecting itself to keep on growing to $80 billion in annual sales blah blah blah....)
End of Q3 2005, they finally admitted that they couldn't reach their revenue targets and were going to switch to keeping up their profit margins instead. People started noticing that the discounts and deals were not so attractive anymore. So if Dell has changed its financial goals and will focus on protecting its profit margins, the rapid and significant discounting seen with the 2405 last year may not be repeated with the 3007...

Ohii, and Hodiscuss, thanks for the good information.
Weemies, how about some close-up Game pics when your 30" arrives?
I found a pic, showing a Dell Rep playing a Game last week, at CES 2005.
The guy who snapped pic says the 30" Dell is @ 2560x1600, using twin 512mb (ATI?) cards in SLI, in a new "Dell Gaming PC" (on sale this this Spring).
The guy didn't identify the Game.
I have the pic stored on my desktop in "My Pictures" folder (it's a 580KB "Bmp" image).
I can open it fullscreen on my 23" HP and it sure is fine,
But I'm totally clueless "how to post a pic" on a website.
So, you'll just hafta take my word for it ....
Games on the new 2560x1600 Dell 30" make my superb 1920x1200 HP 23" look :D "kinda out-dated" :D

hodiscuss said:
One other difference between when the 2405 was released last year and now....

Last year Dell was aiming for revenue growth (since Dell has been a high growth company and Dell was projecting itself to keep on growing to $80 billion in annual sales blah blah blah....)
End of Q3 2005, they finally admitted that they couldn't reach their revenue targets and were going to switch to keeping up their profit margins instead. People started noticing that the discounts and deals were not so attractive anymore. So if Dell has changed its financial goals and will focus on protecting its profit margins, the rapid and significant discounting seen with the 2405 last year may not be repeated with the 3007...

Good post, I agree!

I ran a utility test that NVidia sent me to try to helpm with the driver issues and look what it said:

************************** EDID Test Report **************************
This Monitor has failed the EDID Test - 4 Failure(s) were recorded
FAILURE #1 - 640x480 @60Hz must be supported by all LCD monitors.

FAILURE #2 - 800x600 @60Hz must be supported by all LCD monitors.

FAILURE #3 - 1024x768 @60Hz must be supported by all LCD monitors 13 inch or larger.

FAILURE #4 - 1280x1024 @60Hz or higher must be supported in all LCD monitors larger than 15 inch

<---Detailed Timing Descriptions--->
Detailed Timing: 1280x800 @59Hz
Detailed Timing: 2560x1600 @59Hz
Detailed Timing: FC (Monitor name) 'DELL 3007WFP'
Detailed Timing: FF (Monitor SN) 'JG5785C1G256'
<-x-Detailed Timing Descriptions-x->
Extension Flag: 00
Checksum: 18

Zak said:
Ohii, and Hodiscuss, thanks for the good information.
Weemies, how about some close-up Game pics when your 30" arrives?
I found a pic, showing a Dell Rep playing a Game last week, at CES 2005.
The guy who snapped pic says the 30" Dell is @ 2560x1600, using twin 512mb (ATI?) cards in SLI, in a new "Dell Gaming PC" (on sale this this Spring).
The guy didn't identify the Game.
I have the pic stored on my desktop in "My Pictures" folder (it's a 580KB "Bmp" image).
I can open it fullscreen on my 23" HP and it sure is fine,
But I'm totally clueless "how to post a pic" on a website.
So, you'll just hafta take my word for it ....
Games on the new 2560x1600 Dell 30" make my superb 1920x1200 HP 23" look :D "kinda out-dated" :D

alright, we want to see that pic, so we'll going to walk you thru how:

1) go to imageshack.us
2) upload your pic.
3) cut & paste that link over here, it should say something like Direct Link.

grdh20 said:
I ran a utility test that NVidia sent me to try to helpm with the driver issues and look what it said:
(anyone want to try the test - PM me)

************************** EDID Test Report **************************
This Monitor has failed the EDID Test - 4 Failure(s) were recorded
FAILURE #1 - 640x480 @60Hz must be supported by all LCD monitors.

FAILURE #2 - 800x600 @60Hz must be supported by all LCD monitors.

FAILURE #3 - 1024x768 @60Hz must be supported by all LCD monitors 13 inch or larger.

FAILURE #4 - 1280x1024 @60Hz or higher must be supported in all LCD monitors larger than 15 inch

Checksum: 18

they have the same problem in Apple 30", go to the apple forum and read it

Happy Hopping said:
alright, we want to see that pic, so we'll going to walk you thru how:
1) go to imageshack.us
2) upload your pic.
3) cut & paste that link over here, it should say something like Direct Link.
I'll see what I can do, in meantime check pic for yourself (see below).
When I say it makes my 23" look dated, I'm referring to size of screen n' size of pic.
The pic itself (a long-range scene) seems to have some "mist" designed into it. I think Game designers call it "fog of war".
Anyway, here's your link to CES 2006 and the article and pics.
http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=520&Itemid=0&limit=1&limitstart=3

I guess the panel could be the same old LG panel from out of the Apple. Check the 30" section in this link. It says a range of specs:

http://tinyurl.com/7463n

edit:

Spoke to LG panel engineer. he said there are some differences in the hardware panel between Dell and Apple's unit although using the same basic screen. Also he said they are still working on the light uniformity issue and gave me the contact who is working on that. I'll try to get some more ifo a bit later.

Edit: Posted January 17, 2006 16:49 Best info I got from LG is this:

First of all the panel in the Dell is the same as the Apple as has been stated before. Difference is the other hardware that goes along with the raw panel as well as the fact that the manufacturer sets their own set of specs within the panels capabilities. For whatever reason Dell decdied to set their spec better than Apple did, maybe the lights are brighter etc. even though it's the same LCD panel material.

LG will have a updated 30" panel, but not before up to 6 months. (whether samsung panels show up in the 3007 between now and then remains to be seen)

The brightness issue is more related to Dell's packaging than LG's panel. The engineer told me that there are certain electronics on the right side that may effect this and it could also be a lighting distribution issue or both. In any case I don't think the average user would even notice it, but then again it bothers some graphics pros to no end.

Does this 3007 c/w the cheap dual link cable? If so, did anyone buy the fancy Belkin $100 cable and see if there is a difference in pic quality?

Someone who believes "In for a penny, in for a pound."

grdh20: said:
Spoke to LG panel engineer. he said there are some differences in the hardware panel between Dell and Apple's unit although using the same basic screen. Also he said they are still working on the light uniformity issue and gave me the contact who is working on that. I'll try to get some more ifo a bit later.

Edit: Posted January 17, 2006 16:49 Best info I got from LG is this:

First of all the panel in the Dell is the same as the Apple as has been stated before. Difference is the other hardware that goes along with the raw panel as well as the fact that the manufacturer sets their own set of specs within the panels capabilities. For whatever reason Dell decdied to set their spec better than Apple did, maybe the lights are brighter etc. even though it's the same LCD panel material.
Honestly, I don't understand why Dell opted for brighter lights, unless that somehow improved the contrast ratio. My ACD is so bright at the highest setting that I can't stare at it for more than a minute if the screen is dominated by light colors, without inducing eyestrain. I normally view it close to the lowest brightness setting.

However, I do notice marked uneveness in light distribution, especially around the center top region of the display. The uneveness is very apparent when the background is dark. It's the second biggest gripe I have with the ACD, otherwise it's a splendid display. Looking forward to the new Samsung later this year and see what it brings to the table in terms of overall quality.

APOLLO said:
Honestly, I don't understand why Dell opted for brighter lights, unless that somehow improved the contrast ratio. My ACD is so bright at the highest setting that I can't stare at it for more than a minute if the screen is dominated by light colors, without inducing eyestrain. I normally view it close to the lowest brightness setting.

However, I do notice marked uneveness in light distribution, especially around the center top region of the display. The uneveness is very apparent when the background is dark. It's the second biggest gripe I have with the ACD, otherwise it's a splendid display. Looking forward to the new Samsung later this year and see what it brings to the table in terms of overall quality.

I know what you mean, I keep my 3007WFP at the 0 brightness setting during the day and night..

Happy Hopping said:
Does this 3007 c/w the cheap dual link cable? If so, did anyone buy the fancy Belkin $100 cable and see if there is a difference in pic quality?

Someone who believes "In for a penny, in for a pound."

One user found this:

found out Dell shipped out some 3007 with a DVI-I cable and not a DVI-D cable. The correct cable should have 24 streight pins and one horizontal pin. Dammit to hell. At least with the right cable it will work now. I picked one up at Fry's and it works.

APOLLO said:
. My ACD is so bright at the highest setting that I can't stare at it for more than a minute if the screen is dominated by light colors, without inducing eyestrain. ..

You bought a ACD 30? When was this? I thought you have been waiting for the Dell or the Samsung

For those who have this 3007, can you read normal size text on your word processor clearly? What about the buttons? Can you see all those button and pull down menu clearly?

OR do you have to increase the size of your fonts, and find some way to increase the size of those buttons?

Happy Hopping said:
For those who have this 3007, can you read normal size text on your word processor clearly? What about the buttons? Can you see all those button and pull down menu clearly?

OR do you have to increase the size of your fonts, and find some way to increase the size of those buttons?

It's fine.

damn dell have stopped letting 3rd parties sell thier monitors in europe, so no more 3007 £300 cheaper than dell any more and overclockers.co.uk have upped the price of the remaining stock they have left :mad:

Yaka said:
damn dell have stopped letting 3rd parties sell thier monitors in europe, so no more 3007 £300 cheaper than dell any more and overclockers.co.uk have upped the price of the remaining stock they have left :mad:
My seller told me I was one of the last to get a good deal on this beast, before Dell decided to jack up the prices. :cool:

Oh well, still a shit-ass deal compared to what they get in Canada. I paid like a thousand US bucks more than those bastards. And to think that's a "good deal" over here. :mad:

Pic of my 30" at work :)

42F61402F5B24870BC29304AFF6123ED.jpg

also some pricing infos...

I got it for around 15 benjamins with 5 year warranty and 3-5 ship plus tax. Pretty much any dell channel sales account can order them around that, or at least they could at end of dell fiscal year.

So there may be some good coupon deals in the near future considering their cost is probably still lower than what I got.

ittech said:

I got it for around 15 benjamins with 5 year warranty and 3-5 ship plus tax. Pretty much any dell channel sales account can order them around that, or at least they could at end of dell fiscal year.

So there may be some good coupon deals in the near future considering their cost is probably still lower than what I got.

OMG but when though when???? :confused:
cool wallpaper by the way. :)

ittech said:

Wonder if I could get it for 15 Bordens? On their site, they're now asking 22.

Back