Dell 3007 WFP LCD Monitor at $2200

Just a quick question

Since it's not time for me to upgrade my pc, is there any cheap graphic card solution which could support this monitor? Is there any dual dvi card with agp support ?

Thanks

Try the ATI X800 or higher series used or new or a 6800gt or 6800gs new or used you can find good deals in the for sale forum or at retailers.

I think someone asked what resolutions showed up in the slider with Nvidia 83.10 drivers. They are
2560x1600
1600x900
1280x800
1024x768
800x600

There is a new driver at guru3d ver 82.65. I'm going to try these later and see if 2560x1600 holds.

Humble_Magii: said:
Try the ATI X800 or higher series used or new or a 6800gt or 6800gs new or used you can find good deals in the for sale forum or at retailers.
The only PC AGP cards that support dual-link DVI are the older Quadro, Fire GL cards and possibly some Matrox cards. No nVidia 6000 series for the PC supports dual-link either, unless there have been some very recent spec revisions that I'm not aware of.

APOLLO said:
The only PC AGP cards that support dual-link DVI are the older Quadro, Fire GL cards and possibly some Matrox cards. No nVidia 6000 series for the PC supports dual-link either, unless there have been some very recent spec revisions that I'm not aware of.

According to Anandtech.com, ATI Radeon 9600 Pro Mac & PC Edition (~$190) supports DUAL-LINK DVI. See my post#91 in this thread...

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1028808930&postcount=91

Was just notified my monitor shipped today. I had it shipped next day air so it should be here Monday (crosses fingers).

Once I have everything set up I'll take some pictures and post them.

Ok, so here's what happened to me. I recieved one of those Dell mailings in the post today here in Toronto. When I opened it up it says you should go to www.dell.ca/newyearoffers and enter the specified code to see if you qualify for 30%, 50% or 75% off from the Dell Canada Small Business Store. So I go ahead and and boom I receive 30% off.

Usually there is a catch to these coupons where you can only use them on selected products. So I am like what the hell, might as well try it on the new 30" display from dell to see if it works. I enter the coupon and bam! I get 30% off C$1999 which comes to C$1399.30 (before tax). I am freaking out at this point because I thought it would never work. So of course I can't pass up on a great deal like this and place the order in a hurry. The total comes to C$ 1609.20 including tax and free shipping. For those of you in the US that comes to US$ 1390 including tax and shipping. I could not believe my luck!!!!!!!!!!!! But wait the story gets better.

So about an hour after I have placed the order, I'm like oh sh_t I'm not sure if my video card can even run this thing!! I have an X800 XT video card in my PC which is about 2 years old at this point. It's a pretty high end video card but I don't think it supports the resolution of the screen. The Mac version of this card will support the resolution but I'm skeptical as to the PC version.

So should I keep the order or cancel it??

Keep it, try it, and if it dosnt work sell it for about 50 or 100 bucks more? Or if you cant, return it. Or keep it till you can afford a new Video Card

What about getting another one of those video cards, and running duel, could that work?

kkapoor said:
Ok, so here's what happened to me. I recieved one of those Dell mailings in the post today here in Toronto. When I opened it up it says you should go to www.dell.ca/newyearoffers and enter the specified code to see if you qualify for 30%, 50% or 75% off from the Dell Canada Small Business Store. So I go ahead and and boom I receive 30% off.

Usually there is a catch to these coupons where you can only use them on selected products. So I am like what the hell, might as well try it on the new 30" display from dell to see if it works. I enter the coupon and bam! I get 30% off C$1999 which comes to C$1399.30 (before tax). I am freaking out at this point because I thought it would never work. So of course I can't pass up on a great deal like this and place the order in a hurry. The total comes to C$ 1609.20 including tax and free shipping. For those of you in the US that comes to US$ 1390 including tax and shipping. I could not believe my luck!!!!!!!!!!!! But wait the story gets better.

So about an hour after I have placed the order, I'm like oh sh_t I'm not sure if my video card can even run this thing!! I have an X800 XT video card in my PC which is about 2 years old at this point. It's a pretty high end video card but I don't think it supports the resolution of the screen. The Mac version of this card will support the resolution but I'm skeptical as to the PC version.

Are you out of your fracking mind???? ORDER IT!!! ORDER IT NOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

EDIT: Dude, just get it and hold onto it til february or early march when the new generation of cards come out. Or you can get either a 7800 gtx or an 1800xt. Oh, and by the way......I hate you. :mad:

Followed all the Nvidia advice about editing the registry lines etc and 82.12 ansd 82.65 will simply NOT install correctly and give 2560x1600. back to 83.10 till someone figures this out. VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!

grdh20 said:
Followed all the Nvidia advice about editing the registry lines etc and 82.12 ansd 82.65 will simply NOT install correctly and give 2560x1600. back to 83.10 till someone figures this out. VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!

Why bother? If the drivers you have now is working then whats the prob? I mean isn't 83.10 the latest as opposed to 82.12?? :confused:
Oh and kkapoor.......if you haven't ordered the monitor yet........ORDER IT NOWWWW!!!!! OMG ARGHH!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

kkapoor said:

You got to be kidding. The bad news is, your old card won't work. You don't need to try. The good news is, if you choose not to open that box, you can sell it at ebay or to some of the members here, you can make a killing at that price.

If you can't sell it at ebay, send it to me. Thank you.

IF you really want to use this monitor, get a cheap ATI x1600, it's like $200 and it willl run your new dell.

Oh...if you come across one of those 70 % off coupon, send it to me :D

Happy Hopping said:
You got to be kidding. The bad news is, your old card won't work. You don't need to try. The good news is, if you choose not to open that box, you can sell it at ebay or to some of the members here, you can make a killing at that price.

If you can't sell it at ebay, send it to me. Thank you.

IF you really want to use this monitor, get a cheap ATI x1600, it's like $200 and it willl run your new dell.

Oh...if you come across one of those 70 % off coupon, send it to me :D

Yeah I was considering the ATI X1600 XT, however it's not available in Canada as yet. On the plus side I could probably ebay my X800 XT and get quite a decent price for it. hopefully enough to cover the cost of the X1600XT. I'm not much of a gamer, I just prefer the large screen for media work. I have already placed the order for the 3007WFP monitor and intend of keeping it.

kkapoor said:
Yeah I was considering the ATI X1600 XT, however it's not available in Canada as yet. On the plus side I could probably ebay my X800 XT and get quite a decent price for it. hopefully enough to cover the cost of the X1600XT. I'm not much of a gamer, I just prefer the large screen for media work. I have already placed the order for the 3007WFP monitor and intend of keeping it.

Dude, I'm very happy for you. :D .................doesn't change the fact that I still hate you though. :mad:

StalkerZER0 said:
Why bother? If the drivers you have now is working then whats the prob? I mean isn't 83.10 the latest as opposed to 82.12?? :confused:
:

8310 is just a rando, offshoot beta test driver. It's fine for now, but I am afraid that since 2 of the latest drivers don't support it properly that unless they figure it out there will be a long series of 85xx drivers that don't work correctly, and by the way 83.10 only has a few resolutions working under 2560x1200 which will limit gaming profiles. Bottom line is that currently nvidia drivers do NOT fully support the 3007, or at least the 3007's in the wild that have reported in so far. they claim to have some in house at Nvidia that will run properly on 92.12, but it is highly possible that there is a slight change in the coding of at least some of the retail models that is messing with the compatability.

This scenerio happened when the 24" monitors first came out and it took several driver releases to get it working right. Anyway, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

grdh20 said:
8310 is just a rando, offshoot beta test driver. It's fine for now, but I am afraid that since 2 of the latest drivers don't support it properly that unless they figure it out there will be a long series of 85xx drivers that don't work correctly, and by the way 83.10 only has a few resolutions working under 2560x1200 which will limit gaming profiles. Bottom line is that currently nvidia drivers do NOT fully support the 3007, or at least the 3007's in the wild that have reported in so far. they claim to have some in house at Nvidia that will run properly on 92.12, but it is highly possible that there is a slight change in the coding of at least some of the retail models that is messing with the compatability.

This scenerio happened when the 24" monitors first came out and it took several driver releases to get it working right. Anyway, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

LOL its a good thing that I won't have the money to get this puppy until february (hopefully).
And perhaps march because thats when the 7900 cards come out. :) By then most likely the driver issues would be solved by then.........right?

I almost bought one of these till I saw the Westinghouse...Not to mention my x850XT woudnt run it...

RevitXman said:
I almost bought one of these till I saw the Westinghouse...Not to mention my x850XT woudnt run it...

Isn't that a low res tv? Except the no connections thing I really like the 3007 cause it does everything.....almost. All I know is the 3007 supports 1080p hdtv input so the only problem is getting a hdmi to dvi adapter and running a switchbox or something. I will figure it out....necessity is the mother of invention not to mention a little motivation. :D

In case anyone from NVIDIA is still checking on this thread:

EDID info from mine:

$ffffffffff Monitor EDID details
$ffffffffff ---------------------------------------------------
$0d00000000 EDID version : 1.3
$0d00000001 Manufacturer ID : DEL (Dell Computer Corp.)
$0d00000002 Model ID : 4016 (DELL 3007WFP)
$0d00000003 Manufactured on : 2005, week 49
$0d00000004 Serial number : 47323536
$0d00000005 Input signal : digital
$0d00000006 Screen size : 64 x 40 cm

StalkerZER0 said:
Isn't that a low res tv? Except the no connections thing I really like the 3007 cause it does everything.....almost. All I know is the 3007 supports 1080p hdtv input so the only problem is getting a hdmi to dvi adapter and running a switchbox or something. I will figure it out....necessity is the mother of invention not to mention a little motivation. :D

37" Westinghouse HD monitor 1920x1080 is also 1080p. I dont need to overhual video card and mobo just to use it. Its also $1500 in some places..

grdh20 said:
In case anyone from NVIDIA is still checking on this thread:

EDID info from mine:

$ffffffffff Monitor EDID details
$ffffffffff ---------------------------------------------------
$0d00000000 EDID version : 1.3
$0d00000001 Manufacturer ID : DEL (Dell Computer Corp.)
$0d00000002 Model ID : 4016 (DELL 3007WFP)
$0d00000003 Manufactured on : 2005, week 49
$0d00000004 Serial number : 47323536
$0d00000005 Input signal : digital
$0d00000006 Screen size : 64 x 40 cm

Nvidia is checking this trhead? :confused:

RevitXman said:
37" Westinghouse HD monitor 1920x1080 is also 1080p. I dont need to overhual video card and mobo just to use it. Its also $1500 in some places..

well said, however the quality of the screen might be better than the westinghouse. of course the price is alot higher. and some people just can't justify that kind of resolution. so in the end, it comes down to, what will be a better buy?

$1800 or less for a 37in LCD that has pretty good IQ w/ 1920x1080 res
$2200 for a 30in LCD that has top IQ (most likely used in professional applications and wont affect gaming/movies that much) that has a super high res

however, if you can find a coupon or loophole that cuts the 30in to less than $1500, then its a definitely a good buy

Xeero said:
well said, however the quality of the screen might be better than the westinghouse. of course the price is alot higher. and some people just can't justify that kind of resolution. so in the end, it comes down to, what will be a better buy?

$1800 or less for a 37in LCD that has pretty good IQ w/ 1920x1080 res
$2200 for a 30in LCD that has top IQ (most likely used in professional applications and wont affect gaming/movies that much) that has a super high res

however, if you can find a coupon or loophole that cuts the 30in to less than $1500, then its a definitely a good buy

Nah but see...I want it for pro apps and for movies and yes certain games that will support the hi-res. I'm interested in the hi end games mostly. And more games coming soon using the unreal 3.0 engine and better will support such hi resolutions. Thats why I'm even timing my purchase for when the 7900 cards are released. And thats around the time that ghost recon advanced warfighter is due to be released even. The countdown begins. :|

RevitXman said:

Well for a 37" size screen I'm afraid 1920x1080 isn't exactly hi-res. For a tv that would be just fine and I'm sure its a good product. LOL but see....when I finally am able to get a tv its gonna be a 50 inch!
In fact, I had to make a choice....I COULD get a 50 inch plasma.....or a hi-res 30 inch pc monitor. It was a tough choice but I'm going to get the dell 3007 and get a tv later when I can afford it again.

kkapoor said:

buy it from newegg and have them ship to Canada. Check the spec. of X1600 XL and XT, see the big difference, since you don't play much games, I think the X1600XL Is dual link too, and should work. Do double check the spec. to make sure it is.

StalkerZER0 said:
....when I finally am able to get a tv its gonna be a 50 inch!

Why go for a 50" tv????

For FALL 2006, Westinghouse is planning to be the first manufacturer of a 56" LCD display with Quad-1080p resoluation (3840x2160) -- that's 2x resolution and almost 3.5x display area of the Dell 3007. Unlike the Dell 3007 with just ONE input port (a single dual-link DVI port), the Westinghouse 56" will have MULTIPLE inputs (like the Dell 2405).

It's already been displayed at CES 2006

http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20060105005042&newsLang=en

http://engadget.com/2006/01/07/westinghouses-56-inch-4x-1080p-lcd/

hodiscuss said:
Why go for a 50" tv????

For FALL 2006, Westinghouse is planning to be the first manufacturer of a 56" LCD display with Quad-1080p resoluation (3840x2160) -- that's 2x resolution and almost 3.5x display area of the Dell 3007. Unlike the Dell 3007 with just ONE input port (a single dual-link DVI port), the Westinghouse 56" will have MULTIPLE inputs (like the Dell 2405).

It's already been displayed at CES 2006

http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20060105005042&newsLang=en

http://engadget.com/2006/01/07/westinghouses-56-inch-4x-1080p-lcd/
Uh.. that's about double the dell 30" res, not 3.5x.

weemies said:
Damn. Sorry. :)

The reason why I was choosing between a 50 inch plasma and the 3007 because on average both products cost about $2000.00 plus.
That 56 incher you mentioned sounds awesome but especially with that high resolution you mentioned I'm sure that monitor would cost above 5000.00. So correct me if I'm wrong. And thats more money than I would be able to afford anytime in the near future. :(

StalkerZER0 said:
The reason why I was choosing between a 50 inch plasma and the 3007 because on average both products cost about $2000.00 plus.
That 56 incher you mentioned sounds awesome but especially with that high resolution you mentioned I'm sure that monitor would cost above 5000.00. So correct me if I'm wrong. And thats more money than I would be able to afford anytime in the near future. :(

I think there is one link floating around saying the 56ich Westy will be around $10,000. Not really comparable pricewise.

seniorpaul said:
I think there is one link floating around saying the 56ich Westy will be around $10,000. Not really comparable pricewise.

Argh! See what I mean??
If I use my tax refund (omg I hope its enough) on the 3007 and if I can get the new credit card with a new apr....I could get a 50 inch plasma on sale later this year. And I should be able to afford both with no problem. :)
But anything above 50 inches will just be too much. :(

So is this thread about the 3007FPW, or did it turn into yet another "my Westinghouse e-penis is bigger than yours"? :confused:

1c3d0g said:
So is this thread about the 3007FPW, or did it turn into yet another "my Westinghouse e-penis is bigger than yours"? :confused:

Your right. Enough about the westy. Well actually I was just mentioning why I chose the 3007wfp over other possible monitors. Here is a thing to get this thread a little bit more on topic then:
Dell has confirmed and mentioned on its site that the 3007 supports HDTV resolutions. And yes it only has the dvi connection. So then....in what ways can I get my directtv input into the monitor? Would I have to get an adapter? If so then which exactly? Should it be hooked up through the computer itself or seperately with some sort of adapter box?
Lets talk about this please because I made my mind up that I'm getting the 3007.

1c3d0g said:

:D Well, someone could talk about the Panasonic 1080p Plasma display - the 103" e-penis :D

hodiscuss said:
:D Well, someone could talk about the Panasonic Plasma display - the 103" 1080p Plasma e-penis :D

No, no joking for a minute. I wanna know about how to hook up hdtv connections to the 3007. Because despite its not having inputs it does support hdtv. I don't care about dell's reasons for not putting a lot of inputs. ITs probably some dumb corporate decision whatever. I just want a way to to work around this because I'm getting the 3007 no matter what.

StalkerZER0 said:
I wanna know about how to hook up hdtv connections to the 3007.

One way to get HDTV viewing on the Dell 3007....

ATI's CableCard HDTV tuner for PC (which is waiting to be released when Windows Vista is released by Q4 2006) :D

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2662

ATI's intent is for this product to be first released to OEMs before it will be sold retail. Since DELL is an OEM, this product may be bundled with a Dell Media PC which you can buy with a Dell 3007 :D.

Back