Dell 30" FPW?

Happy Hopping said:
but SED reflect light even worse than LCD. I sure don't want to see my reflection under the light as I can't read the screen (see page 2 of the link)

http://www.behardware.com/articles/593-1/close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-sed.html

Ah yes there is always that problem. It was one of my main reasons (aside from the flicker) for migrating to LCDs was to eliminate the glare. Some days I would look at the screen and my eyes would not focus properly on images (however if I held a piece of paper with the same text size against the screen it was crystal clear) and it would seem my eyes were trying to focus on the reflection (and this was with a higher end flat screen "no glare" coating) monitor.
Which begs the question - will this Dell 30"er have a matte finish or that glossy glass-like surface?

Anyways, its great news to hear and I finally have an alternative for the 30"-er that isn't an expensive apple screen and it has the bloody hdcp in it. Hopefully more info will emerge on the Samsung screen - especially what the color fidelity, QC, etc are on these but I guess we have to wait until some reviews come out. :rolleyes:

georgegeorge said:
How can you say Dell's LCDs are poor quality? I have one and it is simply beautiful and not a single problem.

Never said poor quality, but poor Quality Control on some of their models - if you read that big Dell 24" thread you will see what I mean - if you have a good Dell screen great ... Its just that I would be a little cautious until its reviewed and people have some first hand experience with retail models.

I'm drooling over the 30''..... but I will wait for SED.... so much better and worth the wait.

a 30 inch monitor not from apple? WOOHOOOO! finally something worth of attention. how much? :D

APOLLO said:
You're kidding right...?

The 30" Dell looks to be superior to the ACD in just about every way. Does anyone have a clue what this will cost in ballpark figures?
No, I'm not kidding...I've had enough with desktops and their heavy, non-portable design. :( It's notebooks from now on.

This thing will probably cost ~$2000, but with rebates or so it could be brought down to $1700~$1800...

APOLLO said:
There's superior LCD-based technology that will be cheaper and probably available sooner.
Info or linkage? seriously because i haven't heard of it

the only lcd tech that tops SED that i've read about isn't due till 07 and will be for business medical use initially (because of the super high price tag).

IMLED: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2005/10/04/brightside_hdr_edr/10.html

Might be a lil while till production ramps up and the price drops down from the initial + $40,000

We are in for some fun times either way you look at it :)

1c3d0gThis thing will probably cost ~$2000 said:
I guess I won't be getting it until the summer...gotta to go to Europe for 10 days next month and this will cut into it...

I bet you will see it down to $1000 with coupons within 6 months

EnderW said:
I bet you will see it down to $1000 with coupons within 6 months

Assuming a potential owner already has a beast of a system with a dual-link DVI video card; if not, tack on an extra $300.

pawstar said:
and it would seem my eyes were trying to focus on the reflection (and this was with a higher end flat screen "no glare" coating) monitor.
Which begs the question - will this Dell 30"er have a matte finish or that glossy glass-like surface?

I use the HP 20" before, and it's matte finish. Can you name 1 or 2 brand name that uses glossy glass-like surface? I'll go to any store that carry at glossy finish and check it out.

From what I've seen, only Sony Bright Technology has that glossy finish, is that who you are referring to?

Happy Hopping said:
I use the HP 20" before, and it's matte finish. Can you name 1 or 2 brand name that uses glossy glass-like surface? I'll go to any store that carry at glossy finish and check it out.

From what I've seen, only Sony Bright Technology has that glossy finish, is that who you are referring to?

Yes, thats right Sony's is the Xbrite, Acer is CrystalBright, NEC has OptiClear Dell has TruLife (laptops), Toshiba has TruBrite (laptops).

Sony MFMHT95S 19"
Sony MFMHT75W 17"
Sony SDMHS75PS 17"
Acer AS3613WLMI
NEC MultiSync LCD1970GX
NEC MultiSync LCD1770GX
CTX Technology F773P

Hey thanks. We have another thread that talks about this. What's your take on it?

The review at PC Mag said your eyes get tired after a while due to the reflection.

The way I see it is, if it is that good, wouldn't 90+ % of the LCD implement this technology? Since most LCD around the world doesn't use it, I'll bet against it due to the eye strain.

But looking at Toshiba TruBrite, it does look much better than an originally LCD.

tornadotsunamilife: said:
It has dual link dvi so I imagine so
It has dual DVI, but are you sure it has dual-link DVI?? I know that the Mac Edition has one, but I'm not sure about the PC version.

Waterboy said:
Here are the specs for the Dell 3007FP:
Native Resolution: WQXGA (2560 x 1600)
PC Connectivity: DVI-D (Dual Link) x 1 HDCP

Even a 7800GTX 512 has a max resolution of only 2048 x 1536, so how do you run one of these on that card? Down Sample?

The majority of the 7800s (EVGA for a fact) have one dual-link DVI connector. Dual-link DVI is capable of displaying 2560x1600.

I haven't looked at any spec sheets recently.

IIRC no previou gen ATI Radeons 9700/9800/X800/X850 have Dual-Link DVI. The only ATI Radeon cards built for the PC market that have dual link are the latest X1800 series cards and a few select FireGL cards of previous generations.

On the nVidia front. The 6 series does not. But the on the 7 series, one of their two DVI ports are Dual-Link.

EDIT: From ATI's site: 'Dual integrated dual-link DVI transmitters" This means if you want to have a dual monitor setup with these I think your only option is ATI.

Once the price for this monitor is listed, there will be a flood of 2405's listed for sale. Mine will be the first. :eek: :D

wotblake said:
Once the price for this monitor is listed, there will be a flood of 2405's listed for sale. Mine will be the first. :eek: :D

how much you gonna be selling it for? still got warranty on it?

Here's a primitive question: if you have 2 x 30" in front of you, in such a way that your front view is totally block, and the TV is behind the rear end of 30" LCD. So how would you watch TV while typing on the internet?

I only thing I can come up with is to make room for a small gap in between the two 30" (I haven't buy it yet) and peek thru that gap to watch the TV.

I can't think of any other solution. What would you do?

If it is sub $2000, I will buy it and give this 2405 to my dad....you know, elderly people needs larger fonts..and screens

Happy Hopping said:
Here's a primitive question: if you have 2 x 30" in front of you, in such a way that your front view is totally block, and the TV is behind the rear end of 30" LCD. So how would you watch TV while typing on the internet?

I only thing I can come up with is to make room for a small gap in between the two 30" (I haven't buy it yet) and peek thru that gap to watch the TV.
Odd question, but if you're going to be purchasing 2x30" displays, by far the best solution is to use one of them as your TV. Having two such displays side-by-side will force you to move a lot as it is, but any gap between the two displays will make matters much worse. The only practical solution is to buy a TV card and install it in your system. That way you can watch HDTV full-screen or windowed on one of the displays. Forget about the TV set.

Got a 2005... then got a 2405.... now another?! Wish Dell has some trade-in program sigh...

APOLLO said:
Odd question, but if you're going to be purchasing 2x30" displays, by far the best solution is to use one of them as your TV. Having two such displays side-by-side will force you to move a lot as it is, but any gap between the two displays will make matters much worse. The only practical solution is to buy a TV card and install it in your system. That way you can watch HDTV full-screen or windowed on one of the displays. Forget about the TV set.

No doubt it's an odd question. It's a simple problem but no easy solution. I thought about the above idea:

KNowing how cheap plasma or LCD TV is nowaday, I can easily get a 40" plasma for a very low price although I'm aiming at LCD TV. So why watch a 30" if you can watch a 40"? And I need the screen space for my work, as one 30" is not enough.

One way to do it is to get a very big screen and skip on the bottom of the display or even raise the height of the plasma or LCD TV and view the TV from the top edge of the Dell or Samsung. But I would need a tall chair because the Dell is already so high.

Happy Hopping: said:
KNowing how cheap plasma or LCD TV is nowaday, I can easily get a 40" plasma for a very low price although I'm aiming at LCD TV. So why watch a 30" if you can watch a 40"? And I need the screen space for my work, as one 30" is not enough.

One way to do it is to get a very big screen and skip on the bottom of the display or even raise the height of the plasma or LCD TV and view the TV from the top edge of the Dell or Samsung. But I would need a tall chair because the Dell is already so high.
Have you ever watched TV on an 30" ACD? I have, many times.The difference between 30" and 40" is not that enormous. Especially since you'll probably be a lot closer to your computer monitor than one normally is from a TV (~24"). For watching video content, screen size is not as important as field-of-view coverage. IOW, the perceived size that is a result of the dispaly's coverage percentage over your eyes' field-of-view at a specific distance.

I'm not sure what you mean in the last part of your post, but I see no practical solution to mounting 2x30" monitors and a 40"+ TV in the same workspace you're envisioning. If I were you, and using one of your proposed 30" displays as a TV is not an option, I'd position the TV on the floor at right angles from your workspace where it was designed to be. Before I used my system to watch video content, that's where I had my TV.

All of you are gamers, right? I don't kmow how you guys can stand LCDs, let alone a 30" one.

FreshPrinceOfBellAir said:
What about SLI and Dual Link?
Can two cards not capable of 2560 x 1600 run in SLI to get the desired res? i.e 2-6600's?

No... it doesn't work that way. Video cards with dual-link have a special output chip that handles dual-link. That's after the rendering pipeline, which is what SLI speeds up.

Leright said:
All of you are gamers, right? I don't kmow how you guys can stand LCDs, let alone a 30" one.
Take your CRT fan boy crap elsewhere. We're not in 1995 anymore, thank you very much! :mad:

Leright said:

No, not all of us are gamers. Some of us have much better things to do on our computers than play QuakeX.

Also, judging from your sig... if you are a gamer, you have a fairly odd machine for it. Duallies are better suited for real work and multitasking than gaming.

NulloModo said:
No, not all of us are gamers. Some of us have much better things to do on our computers than play QuakeX.

Also, judging from your sig... if you are a gamer, you have a fairly odd machine for it. Duallies are better suited for real work and multitasking than gaming.

I don't have that rig anymore. :p That sig is VERY old. I just haven't updated it. Also, notice how I have a samsung 213T 21" LCD monitor in my sig. I also sold that.

Also, I don't JUST play games. I also use my computer for important things. :p The duallie was great for both. The LCD monitor was great for office applications, but terrible for gaming. The CRT is great for both uses. I now use a sony FW900 24" CRT.

Leright said:
I don't have that rig anymore. :p That sig is VERY old. I just haven't updated it. Also, notice how I have a samsung 213T 21" LCD monitor in my sig. I also sold that.

Also, I don't JUST play games. I also use my computer for important things. :p The duallie was great for both. The LCD monitor was great for office applications, but terrible for gaming. The CRT is great for both uses. I now use a sony FW900 24" CRT.

That is a sexy CRT... I was looking into one around 5 years ago... but they were too expensive back then.

I have a Dell 2001fp right now, and I have to say I am very happy I made the leap. I don't game on the computer, I prefer consoles for games (the best RPGs (which are really the only games I really care about) never come out for PC, or come out so much later I can't wait), so my computer is just for random other uses. I would love a duallie system, actually, I am just waiting for Intel's Conroe/Merom platforms then I am going to jump on one.

Back