Dell 2709 with HDMI: Will I even get to native res of 1920x1200?

offtone

Limp Gawd
I just bought a 2709 (it's in the mail) and my only connection option is through HDMI; no DVI. Will be able to run it at native 1920x1200, or will I actually be stuck at 1920x1080?

I am not sure why you believe your limited to HDMI. What is your source?

HDMI and DVI are electronically equivalent. The only difference is the connecter and HDMI carries sound, by using more of the pins/wires. You can buy a DVI to HDMI cable at http://www.monoprice.com.

The 2709 has every connection you could possibly ask for.

Please give us your feedback when you get this display. I am very interested in what you have to say.

Thanks in advance

Dave

I just bought a 2709 (it's in the mail) and my only connection option is through HDMI; no DVI. Will be able to run it at native 1920x1200, or will I actually be stuck at 1920x1080?

1. There must be no problem connecting to a PC over HDMI - you get 1920x1200
2. You can buy an HDMI/DVI adapter for more flexibility.
3. If you use an HDMI video source other than PC - some monitors may have dead end problem in this case - a distorted or cropped image - somewhat between 1900x1200 and 1920x1080.
But a preliminary view says 2709 does not have this problem over HDMI.

I bought the 2709 because people on the forums were telling me that HDMI wasn't sufficient to power a Dell 3007WFP (30" - 2560x1600). I've got a Dell M1530 laptop on its way now, along with the 2709 because I was told that the M1530 wouldn't be able to power the 30" because it didn't have Dual-Link DVI on the nVidia 8600M GT... Is that true? My brother has the same laptop and I'm going to ask if I can borrow it, then buy a DVI-to-HDMI adapter from FutureShop (on condition I can return it if it fails) and give it a try.

Or is this definitely going to fail?

A dual-link DVI is required to power any display at the resolution of 2560x1600 regardless. It is a matter of getting enough data to the display to get the full resolution via the digital connection at a usable FPS. Maybe you could do 2560x1600@30 hz (but that's just theoretically and would probably suck).

Digital connections have a limited bandwidth capability unlike the old analog connections of CRT. Single link is 3.96 Gigabits/second, dual-link 7.92 Gigabits/second.

You could use the HDMI to power the 3007WFP, but it will never be at full resolution because HDMI is a single-link interface and the max of that is 1920x1200 @ 60hz.

So if you are worried about HDMI's ability to use a display at 1920x1200, it will be no problem. Like you said, you can use an HDMI to DVI cable.

But if your laptop comes with a DVI connector, the best would be to use the DVI connector on the laptop through a native DVI to DVI cable to the monitor, unless you have a desktop and want to switch between the two, desktop on DVI and laptop on HDMI?

I don't think this will be a problem in any case, and nVidia cards have pretty good display detection for HDMI monitors and TVs which should allow some tweaking.

Regards,

10e

I bought the 2709 because people on the forums were telling me that HDMI wasn't sufficient to power a Dell 3007WFP (30" - 2560x1600). I've got a Dell M1530 laptop on its way now, along with the 2709 because I was told that the M1530 wouldn't be able to power the 30" because it didn't have Dual-Link DVI on the nVidia 8600M GT... Is that true? My brother has the same laptop and I'm going to ask if I can borrow it, then buy a DVI-to-HDMI adapter from FutureShop (on condition I can return it if it fails) and give it a try.

You bought the right stuff. The only thing you might need is the adapter you mentioned. It will work just fine.

Nice rig actually.

Dave

As mentioned you should be fine. The HDMI on the laptop is likely a full fledged DVI setup (single link) capable of 1920x1200. Only difference is the connector and the probably went with HDMI because it is more common than mini-DVI and they didn't want to take up space with full size DVI.

You were also correctly informed in that this could not drive a Dell 3007 at anything above 1280x800. It requires dual link for higher resolutions.

But you should be fine with the 2709.

You're *positive* the 8600M video card in the M1530 can't power the 30" over HDMI? The specs on the card state that it's dual-link DVI, but because the laptop doesn't have a DVI port, I'm left assuming that they've converted it to HDMI. And if HDMI = DVI + sound, then this HDMI port could very well be dual-link, no?

You're *positive* the 8600M video card in the M1530 can't power the 30" over HDMI? The specs on the card state that it's dual-link DVI, but because the laptop doesn't have a DVI port, I'm left assuming that they've converted it to HDMI. And if HDMI = DVI + sound, then this HDMI port could very well be dual-link, no?

No; I think it is single link. I do not think HDMI is compatible with Dual link DVI; not enough bandwidth.

Dave

Hmm. Well, if FutureShop's cool with selling me an adapter with a good chance of my returning it a half-hour later, then I'll test it tomorrow on my brother's laptop and let you all know. I'm expecting failure, too. But what a happy surprised it'd be...

If it is an HDMI connector it is 100% single link. So yes, I am positive it will not power a 30" at full 2560x1600.

From what I have read HDMI 1.3 has more bandwidth than Dual-Link DVI-D...therefore, it should be able to drive a 30" monitor at 2560x1600. My graphics card 8600m GT was advertised to run at this resolution, and I cannot get it to run past 1920x1200...I was told it was a software problem, and I am looking everywhere for drivers.

Back