Dell 2408WFP Now Available

Just wondering. Bought a 2407WFP-HC (revision A00) from a friend and there was a problem so I called Dell and the next day they replaced it with a 2408WFP (revision A01). Thing is, the monitor goes black after 30 or so minutes but the green light stays. It gets really bright a second before it goes black.

If I turn the monitor off and switch it back on. It works again and after 30 or so minutes it does the same thing. Any ideas? Monitor isn't set to switch off at any given time, neither is the computer.

Is there something wrong with the monitor or my computer settings? Do I need to call Dell for another replacement?

Already tried changing the dvi cables 3 times, updated the monitor driver, the video card driver. Now when it goes off, if I turn the monitor off and back on it refuses to work the first time. I have to switch it off and then back on again and then there's a display. I don't think it's the cables or anything to do with the computer itself. Looks like the monitor itself.

Thanks! I've been reading through these threads and for the most part it looked like everyone that has issues is with it is pretty serious about gaming and that it should might my needs quite nicely. I've also been waiting for the new revision as I've read about some of the text and other issues... Just wanted to ask the question and "hear" someone say something positive. =)

Thanks! I've been reading through these threads and for the most part it looked like everyone that has issues is with it is pretty serious about gaming and that it should might my needs quite nicely. I've also been waiting for the new revision as I've read about some of the text and other issues... Just wanted to ask the question and "hear" someone say something positive. =)

Despite all you hear here ... many people actually like their 2408. Yeah its this ... and yeah its that ... but put up against a cheap TN panel the 2408 wins. I play FPS games all the time, and I do quite well given the panels input lag. The only real bother I have with it is the green tone present when watching movies. All the greys and shadows have a green tone that drives me nuts. The A01 "should" be an improvement. I'm ordering my second soon.

assuming this is your graphics card, i could not see a reference to official HDMI support. this is likely the key. there may be alternatives, such as forcing YCbCr within nVidia software, no one has tested this that I know of.

my config using ATi and HDMI (via proprietary ATi DVI-to-HDMI adapter, which also supports audio), with CCC showing an HDMI (tm) connection, showed lag improvement of roughly 2 frames versus DVI. i find the lag difference noticeable.

That is almost my card ... mine is the 512MB GTS based on the G92. Its like this one but is factory superclocked to 750: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mc=OTC-Froogle-_-Video+Cards-_-MSI-_-14127325

That's very interesting about the HDMI issues you mention. I wonder how I would go about foring an HDMI mode?

That is almost my card ... mine is the 512MB GTS based on the G92. Its like this one but is factory superclocked to 750: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mc=OTC-Froogle-_-Video+Cards-_-MSI-_-14127325

That's very interesting about the HDMI issues you mention. I wonder how I would go about foring an HDMI mode?

not completely sure, but HDMI on the 2408 may be forcing "digital YCbCr" (not analog YPbPr), compared to using plain old "digital RGB". the HDMI works (fo me), but the key may be processing efficiency within the (presumably) Genesis controller on the 2408, with YCbCr. no one really knows for sure. perhaps YCbCr can be done on DVI with nVidia. this thread may interest you. some report seeing this option for particular HDMI-equiped cards.

Despite all you hear here ... many people actually like their 2408. Yeah its this ... and yeah its that ... but put up against a cheap TN panel the 2408 wins. I play FPS games all the time, and I do quite well given the panels input lag. The only real bother I have with it is the green tone present when watching movies. All the greys and shadows have a green tone that drives me nuts. The A01 "should" be an improvement. I'm ordering my second soon.

The problem is that the 2408WFP is not competing against cheap TN panels. It's competing against other PVA panels, even its own older models. Some people find the flaws and issues unacceptable at this price point.

That said, I love my 2408WFP, and my comments stating such can be seen throughout the thread (mostly around page 30). I was unhappy at first b/c of the noticeable color differences compared to my 2007FP and the extremely blown out reds and greens. However, after purchasing a mid-range hardware calibration tool (the Spyder3Pro), I have been extremely happy with my purchase. The reported input lag is not noticeable by me, and I'm a pretty hardcore gamer (playing everything from Crysis to Mass Effect to Sins of a Solar Empire.)

The problem is that the 2408WFP is not competing against cheap TN panels. It's competing against other PVA panels, even its own older models. Some people find the flaws and issues unacceptable at this price point.

That said, I love my 2408WFP, and my comments stating such can be seen throughout the thread (mostly around page 30). I was unhappy at first b/c of the noticeable color differences compared to my 2007FP and the extremely blown out reds and greens. However, after purchasing a mid-range hardware calibration tool (the Spyder3Pro), I have been extremely happy with my purchase. The reported input lag is not noticeable by me, and I'm a pretty hardcore gamer (playing everything from Crysis to Mass Effect to Sins of a Solar Empire.)

Agreed, I play all those games too, and am not "effected" by any lag while it may be there. Makes me wonder if the horrible lag some report has more to do then just the monitor ... such as rez scaling, specific gpu adapters, connections, or other unknown factors. The only time I suffer "real" lag is when playing a game with quality settings too high for my 8800GTS.

Agreed, I play all those games too, and am not "effected" by any lag while it may be there. Makes me wonder if the horrible lag some report has more to do then just the monitor ... such as rez scaling, specific gpu adapters, connections, or other unknown factors. The only time I suffer "real" lag is when playing a game with quality settings too high for my 8800GTS.
Good to know. Thanks for all the input. Gaming isn't out of the question for me. I play console games and the occasion pc game but I just doubt I'll have a personal issue with the reported lag. I'm mostly just interested in the picture quality overall in terms of picture and video perfomance, graphics, text, etc. etc. As for the green tones when watching movies, my Sony 46xbr4 was the same way until I found the proper settings(for me). I just eyeballed everything and played around for a LONG time. I'd be really curious to see how a professional calibration would do compared to mine. I feel I did pretty damn well though. So, hopefully I'll make a purchase pretty soon and I'll throw in my 2 cents! Thanks again!

The posts about the input lag are awfully misleading.

There IS input lag, it DOES have some of the highest input lag out there - this is not arguable, but fact.
There's nothing subjective about this. (this is not in respect to "a01" - which remains to be seen)

What IS subjective is how much you'll notice it - some people are more sensitive to it then others.

and saying "real" lag makes no sense at all. Lag can refer, to input lag, graphics lag, your ping....and a qadjillion other things. Stop muddling things up :mad:

is Revision A01 is out now? im planning to buy it from dell.com

Yes, the A01 is out, and Dell reps officially state that any purchases as of this time will be A01 ... that said, i've heard stories of people buying recently, and the Dell rep promising the A01, but still receiving the A00. Depends on your locality, and the remaining stock of A00's. It's hit or miss, take your chances, personally I'm waiting another 10 days before buying my second.

The posts about the input lag are awfully misleading.

There IS input lag, it DOES have some of the highest input lag out there - this is not arguable, but fact.
There's nothing subjective about this. (this is not in respect to "a01" - which remains to be seen)

What IS subjective is how much you'll notice it - some people are more sensitive to it then others.

and saying "real" lag makes no sense at all. Lag can refer, to input lag, graphics lag, your ping....and a qadjillion other things. Stop muddling things up :mad:

Your are correct sir, there IS input lag. There is also input lag on every LCD panel produced to a varying degree. No argument there. Compared to other LCDs, the 2408's input lag is high. And yes, some people notice it more than others. To claim all monitors have the same lag and that its just a matter of perception is wrong. You must understand that the measured lag IS NOT consistent to ALL 2408's and in all conditions. There is sufficient evidence to show that input lag is effected by criteria beyond the monitor itself. Wether it be monitor batch, video card used, cable/connection type used or resoltion scaling. Not everyone experiences the full 3 frames that chokes many users. I can testify to this in 2 scenarios.

1) The 2408 I use now is not my first. My first one had really had backlighting issues and was replaced. I was able to do a CRT vs 2408 lag test before it was sent back and it was more than 3 frames out of sync. My current monitor, using the same pc, same cables, same vid card and same resolution produces an average of 2 frames out of sync. The only other difference is on my first 2408 I used the 169.x geforce drivers and now I use the 175.x drivers.

2) My friend who also has a 2408 with a very similar pc configuration, experiences the 3+ sync loss that my original 2408 did, and I can feel the difference big time.

I really like the 2408, and I try to help new users, or those looking to get one understand all variables. It is unfortunate that the input lag is generally high, but it really is hit or miss if you will get one of the really bad ones. I try not to scare people off from it with horror stories of input lag.

I do however agree with you in regards to my generalization of lag by labelling it "real". There are many types of lag, beyond a monitors input lag. That comment was meant to illustrate a condition where I alone experience lag while gaming.

BTW, nVidia G92 cards (especially on Vista) are not reliable for input lag testing. My G92 shows that port 2 is always faster by close to a frame than port 1 in clone mode. FYI

I think in the case of system lags in general, whatever lag that can be eliminated for a hardcore FPS gamer is best. Extra lag can be induced by SLI or Crossfire too because of all the alternate frame rendering and buffering going on.

I'm not hardcore, but I do notice input lag past two frames generally, and anything 3 frames and above becomes quite high for me.

I think the Dell has other maturity issues past the input lag thing, but if they address this and the text sharpness issue to an extent, the 2408WFP becomes quite a bit better.

Unfortunately out of Tennessee's disty point, people are still receiving A00 monitors still. So hold off a little bit, because otherwise the risk is still there, and no one wants a brand new A00 becoming a used A01 refurb.

I understand that there are many factors that contribute to a high input lag.

Someone even said if you use a hdmi cable to dvi it improved the input lag quite a bit. However other users tried that but it didn't do much good.

Other monitor are also affected under these conditions but the recommended ones still stay below the higher input lag of the dell.

I mean i play counter strike so input lag and latency matter. I prefer S-PA and IPS compared to shitty TN, and yes their not as fast as TN, but that doesn't mean i need to settle for the highest input lag in the S-PVA and IPS catergory either ....

One review showed a side by side comparison for a CRT and the 2408. It clearly showed just how much it lagged behind the crt. They even added another lcd monitor to compare as well. Casual gaming, and media viewing it won't matter but for counter strike and games like that it does.

Sucks if every time you aim and shoot you die, not necessarily because your slow, but because your hardware it reacting slower compared to the opponent....

I've been reading thru this thread and I can't find the answer to a question I'm having.

If we plug the 2408 on the built-in HDMI port of a GTX280, would the input lag be reduced on the spot or would we need to play around in the settings of the video card?

Thanks.

Got my 2408 today. Manufacturing month of July 2008, and its got a tag with an A01 on it. Whee.

I've been reading thru this thread and I can't find the answer to a question I'm having.

If we plug the 2408 on the built-in HDMI port of a GTX280, would the input lag be reduced on the spot or would we need to play around in the settings of the video card?

Thanks.

potentially. they were on my 3870, I benched it to make sure. nVidia (and not ATi) does allows tweaking between RGB and YCbCr. one of those two might work better than the other. I notice a difference is both HL2 and Crysis using HDMI.

if you get a chance to test or bench, I would be interested in any results.

If I could test it out, I would but unfortunately, I don't have the monitor or the video card yet. I'm trying to decide which monitor to get with my new rig and if the HDMI trick fixes the high input lag of the 2408, I just might get it.

I have the same problem as a lot of people. I need to decide between the 4870x2 or the GTX280. If the HDMI trick works, then I'll probably grab the GTX280 due to built-in HDMI port and get the 2408 and plug it via HDMI.

If I could test it out, I would but unfortunately, I don't have the monitor or the video card yet. I'm trying to decide which monitor to get with my new rig and if the HDMI trick fixes the high input lag of the 2408, I just might get it.

I have the same problem as a lot of people. I need to decide between the 4870x2 or the GTX280. If the HDMI trick works, then I'll probably grab the GTX280 due to built-in HDMI port and get the 2408 and plug it via HDMI.

FYI, all ATI cards come with an HDMI-DVI adapter.

Its important to note that even if the GTX280 has a HDMI adapter, the driver for it needs to be be able to convert the color mode away from RGB, else theres no real difference in the connection.

does the A01 revision fix the 16:9 / 16:10 scaling problem?
could someone please answer this?

I'm talking about how if I want a 16:9 480p image to fill the display, it stretches it out

does the A01 revision fix that?

thanks in advance

doh, for those holding out on a downloadable firmware update...not gonna happen :(

dell forums

DELL-Jimmy_P said:
Official word - There is no and will be no user installable firmware for any monitor we sell for now and the foreseeable future.

BTW, nVidia G92 cards (especially on Vista) are not reliable for input lag testing. My G92 shows that port 2 is always faster by close to a frame than port 1 in clone mode.

10e, I could be mistaken, but I thought I read in your various lag test posts, on other topics that it was port 1 that was always faster. IE: The port closest to the PCI-E connector. Can you confirm please?

Thanks!

Can't somebody just rip this firmware so we can update using SoftMCCS? No one here is looking forward to getting some flakey a01 refurb..

I just received my 2408 WPF. It's an A01, and sharpness goes in increments of 10. Unfortunately, it's blurry at 30 and still has edge enhancement enabled at 40. Using SoftMCCS I can get it to set at 35 (the command is 03 8C 00 0B by the way), but it still miserably fails the sharpness test here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/sharpness.php#sharpness-d.png . My 2405 passes with flying colors. There is no way to get to a value of 37 or 38 which would probably be right on the money for completely disabling the edge enhancement. As for input lag, I don't notice anything different from my 2405. The inability to disable edge enhancement is a deal breaker for me though.

I've already submitted the return request and will be looking at getting a Samsung 245T or something (still doing my research).

No, if I said it was port 1 then I must have been indulging in crack that day, because with nVidia under Vista I'm sure it is port 2.

10e, I could be mistaken, but I thought I read in your various lag test posts, on other topics that it was port 1 that was always faster. IE: The port closest to the PCI-E connector. Can you confirm please?

Thanks!

No, that's the A00 version. The interest in A01 is that it is supposed to reduce this input lag according to Dell, and people are extremely curious about this vs. a CRT. We want to know how much it's been reduce, or if at all.

Input lag info is here: http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3302&p=12 ... apparently it's quite high.

In my experience, it "feels" about the same as my Dell 2405 from a few years back. Or at least, I didn't notice any difference in that area.

I've ordered a Samsung 245T as a replacement... will probably have this 2408 for a few more days though.

so what are the main differences between A00 - A01 ... so is it worth to buy this monitor? or u guys have any other suggestion?

so what are the main differences between A00 - A01 ... so is it worth to buy this monitor? or u guys have any other suggestion?
I vote against this monitor simply because it's impossible to turn off the edge enhancement -- there's no way to set the "Sharpness" setting to a neutral 1:1 mode.

I've got a Samsung 245T from newegg on its way, it's in the same price and feature tier as the 2408, and has received good reviews.

No, that's the A00 version. The interest in A01 is that it is supposed to reduce this input lag according to Dell, and people are extremely curious about this vs. a CRT. We want to know how much it's been reduce, or if at all.
Oh, didn't see that there wasn't A01 info on there. Then, hmm, I don't know. It feels exactly like the 2405 I'm also still using next to it. My guess is that since it is still an S-PVA panel that it still isn't as good for gaming as a TN panel.

Ok, I am thinking of buying this monitor and in need of some answers. I have read through most of this and am very confused, so maybe you guys can clarify. I watch movies, edit photo's, play 1 MMORPG and casually play FPS games on my computer, which I would hook up via DVI. I also plan on hooking a Directv HR-21 up to this via HDMI connection and possibly a XBOX 360. Would any of these problems affect how I would be using this product.

Ok, I am thinking of buying this monitor and in need of some answers. I have read through most of this and am very confused, so maybe you guys can clarify. I watch movies, edit photo's, play 1 MMORPG and casually play FPS games on my computer, which I would hook up via DVI. I also plan on hooking a Directv HR-21 up to this via HDMI connection and possibly a XBOX 360. Would any of these problems affect how I would be using this product.

Input lag.

Back