Dell 2407 Info?

HDCP=High Definition Copyright Protection.

The 2407 will most likely be a faster panel. How much faster? dunno

Punisher77 said:
Does anyone have any information about what this product refresh is going to be?
Good question. In fact, who said there'll be a 2407 ?
Was it a Dell announcement, or a salesman leakin info, or a website with "inside info"?
I've seen many "2407" comments by many posters but no sources, links, etc. (Maybe I missed 'em).
Just a wild guess here ..... Is it possible the 2407 will be Samsung's $1300 "244T"----rebadged as "Dell 2407" and sold at low Dell price? (Supposedly, the 244T has HDCP).
Thanks in advance to anyone who has hard info, or links to announcements, news stories, etc.

RevitXman said:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=27&threadid=1757795
Looks like rumors..."Said" we would see info by Feb/March
Thanks for the link.
Yeah, the Dell guy in that thread said (see December posts) that he thinks it'll be out then.
But I noticed with real interest, the last 2 posts (dated 02-07-'06).
One guy says 2407 is already on Dell UK for "L600" and we should see it here soon.
Great news if true.
Cuz I've seen n' rejected Westy 37" (nice but too big) and like 3007 (but hear it has no HDCP) which leaves 2407 as chief candidate for my $.

Zak said:
Thanks for the link.
Yeah, the Dell guy in that thread said (see December posts) that he thinks it'll be out then.
But I noticed with real interest, the last 2 posts (dated 02-07-'06).
One guy says 2407 is already on Dell UK for "L600" and we should see it here soon.
Great news if true.
Cuz I've seen n' rejected Westy 37" (nice but too big) and like 3007 (but hear it has no HDCP) which leaves 2407 as chief candidate for my $.

The 30" Dell does have HDCP
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/pro...fp?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=specstab#tabtop

Connector Type
Bullet DVI-D (Dual Link) with HDCP, white connector

Zak said:
I agree. 37" is a little crazy.. You might as well buy a TV and the 3007 just seems to vanilla for my taste. I just got a 19" LCD last year and I would like this next one to last me a bit longer than that. To guarantee a longer life I think you'll need HDCP. If the panel is faster and more vibrant than it's just a bonus. I can't wait to see some specs on this (possible) monitor.

i'm waiting to pull the trigger on a new lcd, and i was going to go 20'' or 21'', but decided on 24'', and i figured i'd have extra time to save up waiting for the 2407...

is this thing ever going to come out? or at least are we going to get some specs?

are they really waiting to sell all possible 2405 models before introduction? will 2405 prices drop any lower than $879 or do u guys think this is an absolute rock bottom price for this model? i'd go ahead and get a 2405 (hdcp be damned) if the price dropped another $75 bucks or so...

vizx said:
will 2405 prices drop any lower than $879 or do u guys think this is an absolute rock bottom price for this model? i'd go ahead and get a 2405 (hdcp be damned) if the price dropped another $75 bucks or so...
I've seen used 2405s going for fairly cheap. It's been out for a while and you could probably find some good deals if you looked around.

I'm mostly interested in a better panel with HDCP in order to "future-proof" the monitor.

vizx said:
i'm waiting to pull the trigger on a new lcd, and i was going to go 20'' or 21'', but decided on 24'', and i figured i'd have extra time to save up waiting for the 2407...

is this thing ever going to come out? or at least are we going to get some specs?

are they really waiting to sell all possible 2405 models before introduction?
will 2405 prices drop any lower than $879 or do u guys think this is an absolute rock bottom price for this model? i'd go ahead and get a 2405 (hdcp be damned) if the price dropped another $75 bucks or so...

I still find it hard to believe that a 2007 and 2407 will be out anytime soon given the fact that these models were not shown at CES. Also, I made a 2005 purchase at the end of January and since then went through three monitors total...All were made in JAN '06.
So, I don't think that DELL is sitting on an old supply waiting to sell them off....I think they are in full production of the current product because the new products are no where close to being released...
But, who really knows????

They might be having problems securing panels or maybe whoever they're buying from is having manuf issues.

Shame it isn't out yet. Starting a new job a week, be nice if I could pick one up and write it off while I'm still self-employed.

RevetXman:
big thanx, for the HDCP-info on the 30" Dell 3007; glad to hear it supports it.

Punisher77 said:
I'm mostly interested in a better panel with HDCP in order to "future-proof" the monitor.
Punisher, HDCP is a total can of worms -----IF this front-page Article published today is true:
"The Great HDCP Fiasco" http://www.firingsquad.com

It claims HDCP in our monitors is NOT enough. It claims we need HDCP in our Video cards too,
And, says Video board mfrs are not installing "HDCP keys" during manufacturing process.
And quotes Nvidia, that no 'hotfix' can install HDCP on a board later on.
It says when Microsofts new "HDCP-enforcing" Win-Vista comes out, and future HDCP movies come out-----not even today's hot 1900-GTX's n' 7800GTX's will be able to watch them in 1080i.
It thinks a lotta guys who can now watch 1920x1080 are gonna be kinda pist and wonders what ATI n' Nvidia can/will do for them.
It recommends that buyers "re-think" video card buying decisions, at least until smoke clears on the whole "HDCP Fiasco".
Guys, read the whole article before judging it.

Zak said:
It claims we need HDCP in our Video cards too
I'm more likely to be upgrading my video card in the near future than upgrading my monitor. I usually upgrade my video card every 1.5 years or so but I was hoping to avoid upgrading my monitor for longer than that.

All those people waiting out for HDCP monitors are really kicking themselfs now with the info that HDCP must be enabled in the GPUs, no current graphics cards have HDCP so there you have it.

kleox64 said:
All those people waiting out for HDCP monitors are really kicking themselfs now with the info that HDCP must be enabled in the GPUs, no current graphics cards have HDCP so there you have it.

why? Its just one part of the equation.. getting one ahead of the other makes no difference to the end result.

kleox64 said:

I'm waiting for a faster response time...

kleox64 said:

You're still going to need it if you want to watch TV on your monitor with HDCP encoded broadcasts.

Besides, at $800 for a 24", I plan on keeping my monitor alot longer than my graphics card.

And LCDs are still dropping in price so anyone who can wait will pay less (or get better performance).

By the time you get a display in 2007, you better get a SED instead (this is coming from a 2405FPW owner).

TheGameguru said:
why? Its just one part of the equation.. getting one ahead of the other makes no difference to the end result.

haven't you ever seen some people claiming to buy certain parts in order to "future-proof" their computers?

Zak said:
RevetXman:
It thinks a lotta guys who can now watch 1920x1080 are gonna be kinda pist and wonders what ATI n' Nvidia can/will do for them.
It recommends that buyers "re-think" video card buying decisions, at least until smoke clears on the whole "HDCP Fiasco".
Guys, read the whole article before judging it.

I wouldn’t blame lack of HDCP support in graphics cards on Nvidia or ATI. They are in the business of graphics, not content protection. I think the movie industry should have to subsidize both of those companies HDCP development costs.
Furthermore, I am personally going to be boycotting all HDCP content (at least refusing to pay for it). I pray for the day when HDCP gets cracked/worked around and we have some HD CP-free movies floating around the net.
If the movie industry wanted HDCP, they needed to implement it LONG before the first HD TV/Monitor was put on the market. It is too late now, and it should be illegal for them to require us to all upgrade our hardware just so we will be compatible with their crappy content protection.
The only good that could come out of all this is that it will encourage even more people to bootleg videos and maybe teach those greedy bastards at the MPAA a lesson.

I wouldn’t blame lack of HDCP support in graphics cards on Nvidia or ATI. They are in the business of graphics, not content protection. I think the movie industry should have to subsidize both of those companies HDCP development costs.
Furthermore, I am personally going to be boycotting all HDCP content (at least refusing to pay for it). I pray for the day when HDCP gets cracked/worked around and we have some HD CP-free movies floating around the net.
If the movie industry wanted HDCP, they needed to implement it LONG before the first HD TV/Monitor was put on the market. It is too late now, and it should be illegal for them to require us to all upgrade our hardware just so we will be compatible with their crappy content protection.
The only good that could come out of all this is that it will encourage even more people to bootleg videos and maybe teach those greedy bastards at the MPAA a lesson.

QFT
Couldn't have put it better myself.

stonedwaldo420 said:
I don't think they need help.
According to that Firing Squad article, most or all of ATI n' Nvidia video-chips (called "GPUs") have been "HDCPready" for past 3-4 years.
But a video board needs one more item to make it "fully HDCP-ready".
It needs an "HDCP-key". The Board Mfr must install it when building the board.
Nvidia told Firing Squad it can never be installed later "no patch, no hot-fix"..
And up to now, with one exception no Board Mfr has installed the Key on his boards.
Why ATI / Nvidia dont pressure boardmakers to add the Key now, MIGHT be they think it'd hurt this year's hot-selling SLI-pairs, and GTs and GTX's, etc. ("Why rock the boat?----next year is "HDCP Year"----we'll hit 'em $$again$$").
Just a thot, could be wrong. :D
BTW, next year $Microsoft$ will be leading the HDCP Attack, with intro of Halo-2, world's first "HDCP-only" game (according to the FS article).

What im curious about is that the memory stick slots on my 2405 is acting up...

If i wait till the 2407's are you, and RMA it....what are the odd's ill get a 2407 instead of another 2405 ?

I think the 2407 is FUD....wishful thinking. I'll continue to think otherwise until I see proof. I don't believe this panel exists/will exist.

VendettaUF said:
I think the 2407 is FUD....wishful thinking. I'll continue to think otherwise until I see proof. I don't believe this panel exists/will exist.

I guess you missed this thread:

Link

VendettaUF said:

you are correct

I have talked to Michael Dell and he says that the alien technology they purchased only allowed them to develop lcds up to the 2405

They have to wait till another spaceship crashes to develop the 2407

I wonder if the 2407 will have all the inputs and card reader slots that the 2405 has.

Seeing as how the 3007 wqas supposed to be the "end all" of computer monitors, it surprised me to see that it didn't include component/composite inputs. :confused:
Yeah yeah, Dell didn't want to compete with their real TVs, but still...

Kevlarman said:
I wonder if the 2407 will have all the inputs and card reader slots that the 2405 has.
I hope so but I could see it being a little more crippled if the 8ms panel is a lot more expensive. I don't care about the card reader but the USB ports are nice and so is the component inputs. If it doesn't have the same kind of inputs I think I'll just go for the 2405...

Punisher77 said:
If it doesn't have the same kind of inputs I think I'll just go for the 2405...

Provided they dont choose to discontinue their 2405 line...cos usually when they have two of the same sized monitor, one is widescreen and one is not (2001 and 2005) or only has analog connector or both (i think that was the 17" line)

So if its only a physical difference of connectors, i dont see why they would continue the 2405 line...

Rishy said:
Provided they dont choose to discontinue their 2405 line...cos usually when they have two of the same sized monitor, one is widescreen and one is not (2001 and 2005) or only has analog connector or both (i think that was the 17" line)

So if its only a physical difference of connectors, i dont see why they would continue the 2405 line...
I suppose all I need to wait for is the actual announcement. Hopefully they'll provide enough detail about the monitor so that I can make a decision then. Unless they've already gotten rid of most of their 2405 stock. I wonder if that's why they just had that 20% off sale...

Back